The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

View Poll Results: How good wasit?
Too good! 31 46.97%
Very good! 35 53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

I'm usually the guy asking people not to over-think stuff, but it's hard to ignore that issue when the movie itself brings it to the table. It's odd, that's all.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:24 AM

I got the impression from the movie that Stark believed that the protocol was wrong. The military aren't moving in because the civilians are being used as human shields, but as we saw, Stark's weaponry lets him avoid casualties.

Of course, exposing his identity like that was a really stupid move anyway.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:26 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Pronouns: he/him

That's why he's an eccentric genius
Old 05-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
Yeah, except Ultimate Thor IS really a god.
Lame. I just picked up a few Civil Wars, and between those books and this info, I think I can quite safely stop caring anymore about the Ultimate anything books.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud View Post
Lame. I just picked up a few Civil Wars, and between those books and this info, I think I can quite safely stop caring anymore about the Ultimate anything books.
Yeah, I've never really got into the Ultimate line outside of Spidey. It's the only one I've read with likeable characters. The other serieses read like Image books from the 90's.

Oh and hey Joe Q! If I wanted to read about a single Spider-Man, I would have picked up the Ultimate version. Dickhead!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
Oh and hey Joe Q! If I wanted to read about a single Spider-Man, I would have picked up the Ultimate version. Dickhead!
LttP but absolutely correct
Old 05-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

Man the effects were really good too. Iron Man and Other Robot Suit really seemed to inhabit the world, which is something that many CGI effects can't seem to achieve. *cough* Spiderman *cough* But the little stuff was great too. Like when Gwyneth Paltrow put her hand in Robert Downey Jr.'s chest. Completely believable. I can't tell if it was CGI or practical. Either way it totaly worked.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

I think more of it than you would expect was in-camera.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

YES YES YES YES YES

A+++ would see again.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Bald Gendou

I was amazed. I don't know much about Iron Man beyond who Tony Stark is and stuff... I was blown away.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

I am glad taht the villain wasnt the Mandarin. I dont know how that would have been cool. But maybe he is in background - ten rings and all that

Also was Jeff Bridges always taht fucking big? He was like 8 feet out sid eof the suit - which should have been called the Iron Dude
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Inscaper

This film is EDJ approved.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Orb Friend

Boyfriend and I saw it tonight, loved it. There were gigantic lines as we were coming and going for the movie, and lots of audience cheering at various parts, especially the stinger after the credits.

I'd have to say that this is one of the best comic movies I've ever seen, and RD Jr. was pretty damn great himself. I've never been all that into Iron Man and I was less so after all this Civil War crap, but this was nothin' but pure enjoyment. If 'The Dark Knight' is this good or better, I will be one heck of a happy nerdgirl.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Well Dark Knight wont be as hilarious or fun, tahts for sure
Old 05-05-2008, 02:47 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Easy enough I'd say-only comic fans really know what's going on with that dialog, and it's not like the entire operation is just putting some guys in spandex. Next movie make a passing comment about government's Avengers Initiative providing funding for suit development, blah blah blah....

I'm not so sure an Avengers flick will happen-it'd have to be within a few years really and since Thor, AntMan, and Cap are all in different stages of development hell and each carrying it's own flavor of "really? you want a big budget for this?" to it says it's unlikely. Of the bunch, I think Cap is the only one with any legs.

Never was much of an AntMan fan....just seems a little too silly, and a Norse god? Nah....I quite like the Ultimates Thor and that's what I'd love to see not as a solo movie but just a minor character in an Avengers flick.
2010 is when they're saying. No confirmed roster, but there's talk of Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, and Thor being there. All I really need, unless we start adding New Avengers guys in there.

The plan is to basically give these guys their own movies (Hulk is next month!) and then bring 'em together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
That said, I still love the movie, I just feel I need to watch it from a different perspective than that from which I watch other superhero movies. I think it's much more about Stark becoming Iron Man, and his personal redemption, than about him becoming a hero to the world at large. Maybe if I walk into the movie with that perspective, I'll like it even more.
Pretty much. A lot of Iron Man's missions were fending off this or that from doing stuff to his company. The one scene you spoke of for the actual "hero" part is actually reminiscient of one part of the comics, the Armor Wars, where he goes after and destroys stolen tech of his so it won't be used for wrongdoing, and anyone else on either side of the law be damned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoninja View Post
Seeing as how they got Sam Jackson to play Nick Fury, it's obvious a direction like The Ultimates has been considered. Also, there's that one rumor how Jackson as Fury is also supposed to make an appearance in the Incredible Hulk. As for more solo movies, I say skip 'em! The Avengers find Cap, so he's tied to them...but I guess that'd be an amazing end to a WWII style movie, waking up in the present... and if they go with the direction of Ultimate Thor (I really hope they do), he's got that ambiguous origin thing going...
Stark appears in The Incredible Hulk, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Iron Man's (second-)best antagonist actually IS one - Doctor Doom. Sure, he's an FF villain, but he works SOOOOO much better as the opposite to Stark. Magic vs. Science, Western Capitalism vs Eastern Monarchy, good ol' American freedom vs tyranny... it's amazing that no one came up with the idea until both characters had been around for 10 years or so.
Plus armor vs. armor. Doom is awesome, I hope they can somehow use and reinvent him, since it looks like the FF movies are through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
That was my second thought. My first though was that it was him a) flipping the bird at the concept of hiding behind alibis and spin doctors, b) facing responsibility head-on (the whole "accountability" subthread that the reporter was beating him over the head with) and c) hells yeah he's Iron Man and he LOVES it. At least, I hope that's what the filmmakers went for. The alternative (Civil War) would be too stupid to contemplate.

I liked how the Mandarin got a nod in the shape of the "Ten Rings" organization. As for the alcoholism being the focus of the sequel, I thought he was over that? I definitely don't remember him drinking at all after getting back to the States.
He actually did that once before in the comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Man the effects were really good too. Iron Man and Other Robot Suit really seemed to inhabit the world, which is something that many CGI effects can't seem to achieve. *cough* Spiderman *cough* But the little stuff was great too. Like when Gwyneth Paltrow put her hand in Robert Downey Jr.'s chest. Completely believable. I can't tell if it was CGI or practical. Either way it totaly worked.
They tried to minimize the CGI, so they did have a lot of "real" suits going on.

As for my thoughts, not sure where I compare it to Batman's latest run, but I definitely think I like better than Spider-man. On the other hand, The Amazing Sellout-man's been on my bad list as of late.

Hell, unless we see some serious atonement and redemption, I'd probably pass on a fourth movie. Iron is my Man now.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"
Old 05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Space Prez

Quote:

I'm not so sure an Avengers flick will happen-it'd have to be within a few years really and since Thor, AntMan, and Cap are all in different stages of development hell and each carrying it's own flavor of "really? you want a big budget for this?" to it says it's unlikely. Of the bunch, I think Cap is the only one with any legs.
Marvel borrowed 500 million dollars to make their own films, and Iron Man was the first. Avengers seem likely if their future movies perform as well.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:24 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
As for the alcoholism being the focus of the sequel, I thought he was over that?
You never get "over" it. That's kind of the point.

Quote:
Plus armor vs. armor. Doom is awesome, I hope they can somehow use and reinvent him, since it looks like the FF movies are through.
It'd be neat to see him as the antagonist in The Avengers, but I assume they'll just go with Ultron or something like that and be done with it.

Quote:
He actually did that once before in the comics.
Yeah, when Bill Jemas was on his idiotic "secret identities are lame because they remind you you're reading a comic book" kick - pretty much everyone at Marvel was being "outed" in increasingly idiotic fashion. At the time, the lone saving grace was that Jemas was ousted before he could get around to ordering it to happen to Spider-Man.

As for the secret ID thing: well, good thing there happens to be a replacement Iron Man sitting around in case they need to pull a swerve....
Old 05-05-2008, 09:32 AM
Loves to Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoninja View Post
The Avengers find Cap, so he's tied to them...but I guess that'd be an amazing end to a WWII style movie, waking up in the present...
I would pay huge amounts of money to see this. I don't think that you'd necessarily need to do solo movies for the entire Avengers roster, but if you're doing Iron Man and the Hulk (moreover, if you're doing the Hulk twice in five years), you would incur all kinds of nerd wrath for not doing a Captain America movie. I would really want to see a World War II period piece about his origins and whatnot, which ends with him getting frozen (or maybe discovered by SHIELD).

*ahem* Back on topic. Saw Iron Man this weekend, and I really regret that I'm going to be too busy to watch it again over the next few weeks (and that the only movie theater in town is like a half-hour's drive away), because I totally would. It's probably not the best of the recent slew of comic book adaptations, but it certainly is in the top tier. One thing that impressed me (which may be related to the implications of the post-credit coda) is the attention to detail and the sheer number of minor nods and references to the comics (the Ten Rings, Stane referring to himself and Stark as "iron mongers," and Rhodey's "Next time, baby" directed towards what looks like the War Machine armor come to mind). While some of the better comics movies have done great jobs of being consistent and faithful within their own source franchise's bounds, I think that the X-Men movies were the only ones to toss in this much incidental geek-out fuel (especially the second one - all of the folders on Stryker's computer desktop still make me laugh in geek joy).
Old 05-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Space Prez

Just announced by Marvel: Thor and Iron Man 2 in 2010, Captain America and The Avengers films in 2011.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

What's next year? I mean, there's that Wolverine movie (... bad times....), but that seems like a weirdly quiet schedule considering they've been running at a two-per-year pace for a while now (I think 2006 was the only exception).

Last edited by Sven; 05-05-2008 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

New Punisher too.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Dragon Puncher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Best part of the movie: when I realized what "Strategic Homeland Intervention, Engagement and Logistics Division" stood for and my brain started to geek itself out, just as my dad was leaning over to ask "What does that stand for? 'Shithead'?"
Gee wiz, when I heard that agent say that, I thought, "Okay, that's cool. Really obvious, but that's cool." Then at the end when he said, "Just call us S.H.I.E.L.D., bunch a faux nerds in the audience said, "OOOOOOOHHH!" You're nerdy enough to know the significance of S.H.I.E.L.D., but you miss that giant gorilla of a reference at the beginning? Needless to say, I arm-punched everyone in the audience*

I understand all the Civil War hate (which I actually really dig), but hate for The Ultimates? I guess I understand that, too. I still love every single issue Millar and Hitch did. I know I'm not supposed to read Loeb and Maduriera's follow-up, but I basically have every Joe Mad issue of Uncanny he's done (all but the first Battlechasers, too), so I'll probably get the trade for that whenever it drops.

Are we dreamcasting the Avengers movie yet?

*Not really.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
gatchapon 3*

i caught on eventually, but he said the full title too fast for me to really get all the initials.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Interstellar Private Eye

I thought it was just one of those running gags where the government gives some lame name to an office. It didn't occur to me that they would throw a S.H.I.E.L.D. reference in the movie.

Also, ending the name with "Division" kind of implies that it's a section of a bigger agency, doesn't it? Wouldn't "Department" work better that way?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
I thought it was just one of those running gags where the government gives some lame name to an office.
This one right here. Since I don't do comics I have no idea what S.H.I.E.L.D is either.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanfrugalj View Post
I thought it was just one of those running gags where the government gives some lame name to an office. It didn't occur to me that they would throw a S.H.I.E.L.D. reference in the movie.
Same. I wasn't even thinking on that level, because I just assumed it was a dumb joke about long bureaucratic names.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringworm View Post
Same. I wasn't even thinking on that level, because I just assumed it was a dumb joke about long bureaucratic names.
This right here.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i caught on eventually, but he said the full title too fast for me to really get all the initials.
Yeah, that's what happened with me too. The first time he says it he goes too fast, but by the second time my brother and I both turn to each other and say "S.H.I.E.L.D.!"
Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Also, ending the name with "Division" kind of implies that it's a section of a bigger agency, doesn't it? Wouldn't "Department" work better that way?
Marvel actually came to that conclusion and when they changed the name, it got switched to "Directorate." That was around the same time it came under the auspices of the UN, even if writers tend to forget that.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:03 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

It took me until the second time to get where he work at because, one, he said it kinda fast the first time (even then I went "wait did he say what I think he said") and two, they changed what SHIELD is short for.

Tags
marvel cinematic universe