The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I was thinking a bit about Starlord this morning. During the movie he comes off as ineffective and self-sabotaging. His friends/crew undermine and ignore him, he freezes when he first confronts Thanos, and then he messes up his own plan. In the end his last words are just a disappointed "oh man."

But, his actions are entirely driven by his love for Gamora. Killing Gamora was the only sacrifice that mattered to Thanos, and seeing Quill throw away his chance at success because of love will resonate with him down the road.

And we know that Strange predicted that this course of action was the only way they could win, but Thanos doesn't know that. So from his perspective the Avengers lost because Gamora's boyfriend was so broken up over her death that it ruined their plan. Gamora was the only person who Thanos loved, and Quill showed that he loved her more. I don't think anything else that any other hero in the movie did even bothered him, but that hit home.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Pronouns: he/him

Peter's failure is the most obvious, but it's one of many. Loki, Gamora, and Wanda all also failed for the same reason as Peter.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I already guessed who it would feature because (not bothering to spoil this because we're in the spoil zone) Nick Fury didn't appear in the movie at all, and you'd bet your ass SHIELD was up to something the entire time.I enjoyed the cliffhanger but I still metaphorically rolled my eyes because come on, we know most of this is going to be undone somehow. I want to be wrong, but I'm not going to be. Like, as an individual movie it's very much Empire Strikes Back and extremely good, but because it's a comic book franchise it would be like if people already had a good idea what would happen in Return of the Jedi before it even came out. It's fairly deflating for me, and I don't even know the comic story, but I know how they operate in general with stuff like this.
Not only is it obvious, but Strange specifically tells us that this is the only way they can win, he is the only one that doesn't try to stop Quill from messing up the plan (he could easily have stopped him), and then he trades his infinity stone for Stark's life, even though he hates Stark, and specifically says that he's fine with Stark dying. It's all a ruse, and the movie tells us that it's a ruse as it's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
I have seen Captain America: the First One one time. Was it established that Red Skull loved a gem or was that just a spooky surprise?
After Age of Ultron, I predicted that each gem was going to bring back a villain. Red Skull was sent into space by the Tesseract, The Dark Elf dude was pulled into the Aether, Ultron was zapped by Vision, and Ronan was wrecked by the Orb. That didn't come to pass, but I was so happy that Red Skull showed up again. What a great pull. And yeah, he had used the Tesseract to create Hydra's weapons, and it was tied directly to his whole story.

I love that Civil/Infinity Wars brought back Thunderbolt Ross too. It really ties the whole series together in a nice way.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 AM
of the Black Falcons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Peter's failure is the most obvious, but it's one of many. Loki, Gamora, and Wanda all also failed for the same reason as Peter.
Right, but Thanos doesn't care about Thor, Vision, or Nebula at all. Gamora was important to him, so that hit home.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Sure, I'm just saying it was a theme of the movie.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:10 AM
of the Black Falcons

Oh, definitely.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:52 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral
Default Talking about Gamora here.

Boo, the refrigerator showed up again.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:44 PM

Liked it a lot! Want to see it again someday.

CANNOT BELIEVE they were still all, “THESE heroes are GIRLS, so they can only fight bad GIRLS.”
Old 04-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Space Prez

I haven't seen a movie on opening night in ages; people were chatting the whole time, some obnoxious teenagers, etc. But worth it for the entire theater gasping at the last shot.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Space Prez

It's Empire Strikes Back.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:10 PM
Brain Genius

It was alright. That was certainly the most comic-booky of all the MCU movies. Some pretty good jokes and not much depth for, well, anybody, but there's a million people in the cast so that was a given, I guess.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:58 PM
This Guy

That was really a superhero event comic of a movie. Changing casts every 20 pages minutes, some tonal whiplash that goes along with that, epic concepts that the movie doesn't have time to explain because its time for an action scene. That sounds too complainy, it was kind of amazing that the Russos pulled this off as well as they did. This movie should have collapsed under its own weight, but they directors have a great touch as knowing when to move between stories and keep things moving.

I might be the odd man out on this, but I found Thanos in this movie as uninteresting as any CGI villain. I guess he's better than Steppenwolf, but that's not even clearing a bar, its just avoiding falling in a hole.

I also think this movie gives the definitive Vision experience. "I am the all powerful robot man, watch as lose easily to this mid-level threat threat that my non-superpowered friends later defeat. Now I am off to a crying robot competition against Red Tornado."
Old 04-28-2018, 10:26 AM
graffiti programmer

I didn't have any knowledge of the events of Infinity War going in so I was genuinely shocked at the ending. I wasn't alone in that, either - there were loud gasps in the opening-night theater when Black Panther dissipated, and we were all pretty well crushed by Spidey saying "I'm sorry" right before the same happening to him.

I went in thinking that this movie was going to be a damn mess, and ... well, it was, because there were 40-some characters in it. It was handled about as well as possible, though, and had its intended effect of making me want to watch the rest of the Phase 3 movies very badly. (Started catching up on those last night with Thor: Ragnarok, which, if you haven't seen, go see it.)

One small irony is that this movie really put in relief how boring the Avengers themselves are compared to everything else. Thor is great and Cap is alright, but even Iron Man was a lil boring at this point (his cool nanite suit aside.) Loved the Guardians and Spidey and Black Panther, though. Even liked Dr. Strange, which I wasn't expecting. When the Wakandans raised their cloth laser shields, I was reminded how amazing that movie was.

Biggest bummer was killing Gamora, though. She deserves better.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM
Find Your Reason

Just saw it. More thoughts later, but a point of order about the no-stakes dragon ball pop rocks:

In the comics, Thanos is absolutely omnipotent. He needs no special glove, he just needs to acclimate mentally to each gem, then the fingersnap is just that. The simplest, most anticlimactic action possible. In this movie, it nearly consumed him, messed up his arm,
and nearly destroyed the Gauntlet. So yeah, when they use the dragon balls in Part 2, the reset will definitely exact its toll. Things are NOT going back to status quo.

Also Gamora is totally inside the Soul Stone and she's gonna Warlock the hell out of the stones when Nebula wields them and I can't wait for the sister arc to reach THAT climax.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:08 PM
We just don't know.

11:53 Paul_le_Paul My friend and I got into a joking tangent
about Thanos originally wanting to put the gems on his cock
and basically just a lot of talk about Thanos Dick
The size of it - he's about 9', 9'6" from the look of it so about a 50% increase in size, but he's also really Big all around, is he a Big member of his species or a small one, how's their normal Dick Proportion, etc
the idea that he went to peter dinklage at the forge and dropped trou and Peter was like "hmmmm, I dunno man, six gems? Six gems... hmm... if each one is... I dunno, man, I think it's just not big enough."
Thanos standing there unzipped and dropped to mid-thigh like he's getting a turn-n-cough "yeah, I guess so, I just thought,"
Peter's all "I can make you a bigger one, any size you want really, but y'know, I dunno if..."
Thanos sadly zipping up "Yeah, no, it's okay, yeah, we can just.... I dunno, put it on my hand or something"
Peter's like "hand is cool, you know, very dramatic, lots of real estate too, yeah"
Old 04-28-2018, 01:17 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Just saw it. More thoughts later, but a point of order about the no-stakes dragon ball pop rocks:

In the comics, Thanos is absolutely omnipotent. He needs no special glove, he just needs to acclimate mentally to each gem, then the fingersnap is just that. The simplest, most anticlimactic action possible. In this movie, it nearly consumed him, messed up his arm,
and nearly destroyed the Gauntlet. So yeah, when they use the dragon balls in Part 2, the reset will definitely exact its toll. Things are NOT going back to status quo.

Also Gamora is totally inside the Soul Stone and she's gonna Warlock the hell out of the stones when Nebula wields them and I can't wait for the sister arc to reach THAT climax.
I mean, I’m sure they’re going to kill-for real several characters, particularly those with actors who’ve been like, “yeah, I’m out” for years now. Still, no one is safer than characters who are currently powdery remains. I personally do not think it took much out of him for all using the glove did! It looked as hard as any super-feat at the end of these movies looks. I do agree that the price in the sequel will be at least one Nebula and a permanently dead main character every 30 minutes or so.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:13 PM
Space Prez

Oh I kind of hated the new Iron Man suit. It looks like a cartoon. My biggest criticism of this movie was how cartoony and green-screen it looked. Some of the actors spend entire acts with computer generated co-stars.

Oh and Peter Dinklige was a surprise appearance, and a blessed one as well!

My kid liked it, his only complaint was that there wasn't enough of Ned Leeds.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:31 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
till, no one is safer than characters who are currently powdery remains.
Yeah, Thanos claims he wanted to snap his fingers to kill 50% of life at random, but clearly there's some sort of glitch in the system that targets people who have sequels coming up.

Fix the Snap RNG, lazy gem devs!
Old 04-28-2018, 02:38 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Sooooooo since this is a spoiler thread I dunno why anyone's using spoiler tags so I'ma not. If this is a faux pas then I apologize, but again, spoiler thread.

Anyway. Just saw it. I had a great time, though as I feared a number of characters felt kinda superfluous but with a cast this big there was probably no way to avoid that.

Black Panther and Bucky felt the most superfluous out of the big names, even though the third act is set in Wakanda BP doesn't do a whole lot besides lead an army for a hot minute. And it feels like Bucky was only there because he had to be due to the Civil War fallout, and for the most predictable joke in the world with Rocket (though don't get me wrong, I still laughed).

Vision also got jobbed pretty hard and never got to really do anything, I almost wish his stone wasn't the last one so he could've been set aside earlier. His death was one we all knew 'had' to happen so I kinda wish they didn't drag it out. But if he were taken out early then half the third act would've had to be set somewhere else I guess, I dunno.

I was surprised and happy to see the Red Skull again, that was great. I was thinking recently how weird it was that they never brought him back after he disappeared at the end of the first Captain America movie in a manner that totally implied he'd be back.

Because of his appearance I was almost expecting him to pop out of the woodwork at the very end and snatch the Infinity Gauntlet somehow, and thus that would be the big twist at the end of the movie and the reason they haven't revealed the subtitle for Avengers 4 yet, but that was always a stretch and we didn't get that. (Just imagine though???)

Thanos was great and much more, I dunno, tempered than I expected. When he said he respected his adversaries it was believable, and the final shot of him in the movie was not at all what I expected. His plan still sucks and is dumb, but that can be explained by the whole 'mad titan' thing, and you almost kinda weirdly feel for him?

Biggest missed opportunity: Not having Thanos go Bam-Bam on the Hulk at the start, like Hulk did with Loki and then Thor. I dunno, it would have been the logical end of that ongoing joke, but I suppose it wouldn't have really fit the mood of the first scene, so we just had a regular beat down. Even though it was obvious it was coming, it WAS somewhat startling to see the Hulk get beaten so badly in a straight-up brawl, and Thanos wasn't even using any Infinity Stone powers. Thanos's baseline power level is 'stronger than Hulk'. That's a heck of a way to start the movie.

While the big action scene at Wakanda was rad, the battle between Thanos and Team Tony was my favorite sequence in the movie. Each of those guys played off each other so well and it was all they could do to just come a hair's breadth from getting the gauntlet off of him before Starlord fucks it all up. It's true to character, he will forever be the universe's buttmonkey.

One thing I'm not sure on is whether or not Dr. Strange filled them in on what he saw or not. Were Tony and the others acting under the assumption that his plan would lead to immediate victory, or did they know they had to let Thanos win to get a shot to actually beat him? I doubt it, since Starlord's reaction was too real and he's not a good actor, but it's pretty risky. Odds are Dr. Strange only told them enough to set things in motion, and then assumed Tony and the survivors would finish the job after the fact, but I kinda like it more if at least Tony knew just so it would have torn him up just a bit more to see Peter dying in his arms.

Best teamup in the movie was Thor and Rocket. Hands down. In fact that entire scene with him and the rest of the Guardians was great, I want a Thor/Guardians crossover movie.

The Stark, Strange, and Starlord ego collision is something I could watch forever as well. But we'll probably not get another chance since Stark is the one character out of all of them I expect to be done done once the dust settles on the resolution next year. Maybe Cap too, but Stark for sure.

Also was anyone else expecting Banner to Hulk out by the end? I was surprised they never addressed why the Hulk was so spooked (I mean, we know why, but Banner doesn't seem to get it). I thought he'd have a pep talk with big green and manage to coax him out, especially since previews and trailers had scenes showing Hulk running with the others in what looked like Wakanda, but nope! Maybe those were shots from Avengers 4, or maybe they were all a red herring, though it seems like an odd thing to be misleading about.

Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot and had a great time. It's not my favorite Marvel movie by a long shot, hell I don't even know if I liked it more than the first Avengers, but it sure was one hell of a spectacle and I am really looking forward to see part two next year, whatever subtitle they decide to give it.

Thanos will return...
Old 04-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Even though it was obvious it was coming, it WAS somewhat startling to see the Hulk get beaten so badly in a straight-up brawl, and Thanos wasn't even using any Infinity Stone powers. Thanos's baseline power level is 'stronger than Hulk'. That's a heck of a way to start the movie.
That scene was to show how powerful the power gem was.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:52 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

John Bautista's perfect deadpan was an breath of fresh air in a movie drowning in banter.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:11 PM
Mr. Jackpots

Dave.

A ton of takes from the trailers appeared in altered form in the movie, so it's not surprising that entire scenes aren't there either. They're really tricky with that stuff these days.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Find Your Reason

There's Tony's (paraphrased) "We have what Thanos wants, let's use it to our advantage" line, which implied a sort of unified plan. Then Cap trying out his shields before the battle. And Bruce working on the Hulkbuster on a Wakandan plain. Hell, Loki offering the Cube was a different attitude and demeanor altogether. And, natch, Cap resisting Pruney's mitt didn't have the other three stones in the trailer--which makes Steve's pushback even MORE impressive, since he was fighting off five Stones instead of two.

They're definitely holding their cards close to play with the audience.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Dave.

A ton of takes from the trailers appeared in altered form in the movie, so it's not surprising that entire scenes aren't there either. They're really tricky with that stuff these days.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure in the trailers they only ever showed Thanos with the Power and Space stones in every scene he was in.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:32 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

With so many pieces to juggle, it's hard to say if the Hulk business was intentional misdirection or if it was a plotline that got its resolution pushed into the next movie when they had to make decisions about what to cut.

Banner was Hulk in Wakanda in the trailer half a year ago, but Banner was wearing a Hulkbuster Suit in the trailer from a month ago. Not being in the more recent trailer makes me inclined to think the resolution was put on hold, rather than intentional misdirection.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:06 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
(I mean, we know why, but Banner doesn't seem to get it).
Do we? Did I miss something? Is it just that Thanos beat him and he's scared? That doesn't seem right at all.

I think the resolution was always intended for the next movie. There was an interview with Ruffalo a ways back asking about solo movies, and he implied that Hulk had a big-ish 3-part development arc through Ragnarok and into the next two Avengers movies.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Do we? Did I miss something? Is it just that Thanos beat him and he's scared? That doesn't seem right at all.

I think the resolution was always intended for the next movie. There was an interview with Ruffalo a ways back asking about solo movies, and he implied that Hulk had a big-ish 3-part development arc through Ragnarok and into the next two Avengers movies.
That was my impression. I mean, The Hulk has never been beaten before. So when he gets beaten that badly, that's gotta mess with The Hulk's psyche.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:23 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Yeah I really do want to know what's going on with Bruce and Hulk. Also, seeing the way he treats the Green Guy now really highlights how out of phase the Norton Hulk movie was compared to the MCU now. I can't really imagine Edward Norton acting like that, so it's probably a good thing he got ditched so soon.
Old 04-28-2018, 04:30 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
That scene was to show how powerful the power gem was.
Oh, I didn't realize he was using it.

In that case maybe in Avengers 4, once the gauntlet inevitably comes off Thanos, we'll get a scene of the Hulk going Bam-Bam on him, which would also be a nice way to put a cap on that running gag.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

Strange's last words are explicitly to reassure Tony. He was visibly unafraid of dying.

This does not mean I was any less of a sobbing wreck through the silent, sterile, bloodless demise taking place on screen. That's what really scared me most about it. There was no spectacle or violence. Just one big mundane exhale. Horrifying.

More later.

Tags
chaos emeralds , find the dragon balls , marvel cinematic universe , oh snap , purpems baddad , space dogs , thanos' big adventure