The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-21-2017, 07:48 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Pronouns: he, him, his

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I had assumed that the color coding was to make it easier for viewers to figure out who the show was following in any given scene. Especially when you consider that there are 5 (!) previous TV seasons' worth of backstory to manage.
Do they think the viewers are too stupid to distinguish between: blind white guy, white guy who can see, black guy and the woman?
Old 08-22-2017, 01:42 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Wasn't the Punisher supposed to be in this? I could have sworn I heard that. Oh well.
Haven't gotten there yet, but from what I've heard just load up the last episode again and scroll to the end of the credits. Because Marvel.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:58 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Haven't gotten there yet, but from what I've heard just load up the last episode again and scroll to the end of the credits. Because Marvel.
They fooled me, Jerry!!

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Well THAT sure happened. Everything Gunther an Otter and Vaeran said is ONE HUNDRED PRECENT SUPER TRUE, But I'm a self-aggrandizing asshole so I'm gonna do my own BIG LONG POST anyways!

MORE CROSSOVERING PLEASE.

The entire point of these BIG HUGE CROSSOVERS is to take the people from two different things and bounce them off eachother. That's why these shows exist. That being the case, did we REALLY need to wait for 25% of the whole 8 episode series to be over JUST to see these guys meet up and hang out? I mean, yeah, I know it's not THE AVENGERS, you can't just have Nick Fury show up at the end of each of these guys seasons and say "YOU ARE ON A TEAM NOW" but man the first two episodes were SO SLOOOOW OH MY GOD.

WARD I MISS YOU COME BACK

The little "oh Ward is on a month long business trip and thus will not be appearing in this show" was just heartbreaking. Can you just imagine how great it would have been if, when the DEFENDERS needed a place to hide, Danny was like "OH I KNOW JUST THE PLACE" and then we Just cut to ward coming into his office the next morning to find it full of superheroes discussing how they're gonna fight a bunch of magic ninjas causing him to just Exasperatedly Sigh Danny not this shit again. God that would have been perfect.

WHAT THE FUCK IS ANYTHING ABOUT THE HAND?

Just... fucking...

Okay, so like, in season 1 of DareDevil, the hand is something Nobu is in, he's like some crazy ninja dude. Nobu has stood next to Madame Gao once or twice but that's just because there wasn't any assigned seating at the SHADY PARKING LOT MEETINGS set up by Kingpin's BFF 4 EVA. Nobu wanted to get a BLACK SKY which we were set up to believe was a SUPER WEAPON And stick was like FUCK UR BLACK SKY LOL and killed it.

In Season 2 of DD, The Hand is still something Nobu is in and they introduce NINJA GOO, which apparently is made out of people? They use this NINJA GOO to bring back Literally anybody from the dead because RED PAJAMA NINJAS are expensive and it's cheaper to just fix em up than to build new ones. Also ELECTRA WAS A BLACK SKY?!?!?! Turns out a black sky is just "Someone who's pretty good at Karate". They ninja Goo her back to life, even though they didn't Ninja Goo the other black sky kid he's dead whatever nobody cares.

In Iron Fist, Suddenly Madame Gao IS the hand! Sometimes the Hand is PAJAMA NINJAS and sometimes it's FLIGHT ATTENDANT LADIES and I guess it's also BLIND HEROIN COURIERS retroactively. Also Bakuto is the hand as well, meaning that the hand is also NICE PRIVATE COLLEGES. Ninja goo is still totally made out of people though! They were gonna made some out of Dojo Lady when she started stepping to them like WHAT. That totally happened.

So in defenders, RIPLEY FROM ALIEN is REALLY the hand and they make a big deal of MAGIC GRANDMA acting all scared of her (Which honestly felt kinda phoney) Ninja Goo is now NOT made out of people, it's made out of DINOSAURS. Also they're all out of the ninja goo, they used it all up on Daredevil's AWFUL exgirlfriend. Meaning that everybody in HAND upper management is feeling awfully killable right now! Even though Ninja goo is apparently good for more than one revival? What's the half-life on Ninja Goo? Did FATHER DOUCHEFACE just get an extra big dose in iron fist, and that's why he came back without a second Ninja Goo treatment? He was talking like he was totally gonna start selling Ninja goo before He fell off the roof and they cremated him before he could wake up a third time, so does HE have a bunch of ninja goo lying around? Did his stash get used up on DareDevil's awful ex as well? WHY IS ANY OF THIS?!

TLDR: Dear Marvel, we get it. You wrote yourself into a corner with your "THE HAND" shit. Please just say "And now everyone in the hand is dead forever and they will never show up again the end" when writing future shows.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Beat:

Were the dinosaurs people OR ninjas?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
In Season 2 of DD, The Hand is still something Nobu is in and they introduce NINJA GOO, which apparently is made out of people? They use this NINJA GOO to bring back Literally anybody from the dead because RED PAJAMA NINJAS are expensive and it's cheaper to just fix em up than to build new ones.
Man, I totally forgot they used the dragon juice to bring back a bunch of random ninja mooks in DD S2. I guess the writers did too!
Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Luke Cage and Danny having conversations went a LONG WAY towards improving Danny. The two just bounce off eachother so, SO well, to the point where I find myself hoping that either character's next series has the other doing an extended guest spot.

I cannot comprehend an IORNG FISH S2 being "good" or even "decent" Sans-Luke Cage now. The second the SEASON-LONG-ENEMY shows up I want Danny to call up Luke on his speed dial and Luke to be all like "Yeah I guess I'm free for the weekend" and then just spending the rest of the series hanging out with Danny being friendly, but also a firm voice of Reason for when Danny inevitably hatches a WORST PLAN, and then rolling his eyes and marching into WORST PLAN that Danny was like "FINE I'LL DO IT MYSELF ON" just in time to absorb a ton of machine gun fire. Throw in a scene of him sitting next to Ward at the Rand Company Bar sharing stories of just how aggravating their mutual "friend" is.

Hell I'd even welcome a chunk of the inevitable Luke Cage S2 involving Danny! Like, maybe he's trying to use his BILLIONAIRE CLOUT to help out Luke's attempts to clean up MARVEL UNIVERSE HARLEM, but he fucks it up somehow in classic "well-meaning but tone-deaf, dumbass & overeager white boy style" and Luke would roll his eyes and be like "Okay yes I know you meant well but this is textbook clueless white person bullshit 101" and get some important social commentary in. I mean, Marvel Couldn't possibly fuck that up worse than they did in Luke Cage S1 where The BAD LADY said "BLACK LIVES MATTER, AND THAT'S WHY WE NEED TO GIVE THE COPS SUPER GUNS SO THEY CAN SUPER MURDER!" and everyone in the crowd cheered.

Oh god they absolutely could fuck up worse than that, couldn't they?

Whatever. Point is, in spite of all human logic, Marvel somehow managed to stumble across a way to make me actually enjoy watching the dumbass antics of FAILURE KNIGHT DANNY RAND. Here's hoping they internalize that deep wisdom by giving Mike Colter however many thousands of dollars it takes to make him stick around.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Beat:

Were the dinosaurs people OR ninjas?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:47 AM
whatever it takes

Yeah, honestly as much as I adore Mike Colter I'm not confident Luke can sustain his own series, and I know Danny can't. So cancel Luke Cage and Iron Fist, and just give us a season of Heroes for Hire already.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:02 AM
'SUP NERDS.

I want there to be more Luke Cage because Luke Cage (the character) is the shit and the only other superhero show I can think of starring a Black lead set in a predominantly black community is Static Shock, which is... ehhhh... ehhhhhhhhhhh

But I definitely don't want an entire season of Black Maria and Shades running an EVIL NIGHTCLUB. And given that the character cannot be harmed by non-Magical/Spaceweapon means, there's just not a lot you can put him up against that would get a full season of TV.

Marvel's got other black superheroes who aren't just walking tanks of total invulnerability, right? Maybe give one of them a show so Luke can switch to making Danny suck less full-time?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 AM
Senhor Member

Luke Cage, Colleen Wing, and Night Nurse can fight to the death to see who gets to be the straight man. (this series has established that Cage's powers don't provide too much of an affair advantage in a fight) Losers get resurrected as fun villains.

I still gotta watch the final episode. Preliminary ninja rankings:

1) Gao: good

2) Yutaka: handsome.

3) Sowande: who

4) Bakuto: memorably bad?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 AM
120 Days

Quote:
I want there to be more Luke Cage because Luke Cage (the character) is the shit and the only other superhero show I can think of starring a Black lead set in a predominantly black community is Static Shock, which is... ehhhh... ehhhhhhhhhhh

But I definitely don't want an entire season of Black Maria and Shades running an EVIL NIGHTCLUB. And given that the character cannot be harmed by non-Magical/Spaceweapon means, there's just not a lot you can put him up against that would get a full season of TV.

Marvel's got other black superheroes who aren't just walking tanks of total invulnerability, right? Maybe give one of them a show so Luke can switch to making Danny suck less full-time?
About this:
I love Shades and Alfre Woodard is the shit.

HOWEVER!

S1 dropped the ball as Luke should have been fighting institutional racism. This was hinted at. He's got a black hoodie. But ultimately nothing was done with it. Him fighting his Power Rangers brother was not how that series should have ended.

I want more CAGE though. There was something sweet and sad about his relationship with JJ in JJ. I like that too.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:20 PM
THAT'S TOMMORROW!!!

The Big Fight inside The Magic Dragon was so bad and dark it made me forget how good the CEO FIIIIIGHT was in episode 3. THATS PRETTY BAD.

THE THING ABOUT CEO FIGHT, Aside from the exquisite pleasure I get from saying it, and evoking the flawless beauty of a bunch of CEO types revealing themselves to be as cruel and bestial as their policies would have you believe.....
THE THING ABOUT CEO FIGHT, Is Danny is there because he is taking a WELL REASONED (for Danny) approach, accepting that attacking people one by one is getting him no where and he has actual resources. Basically it is character development for Danny to realize he is Danny Rand, and he is the Iron Fist, and he needs to work out how those two things fit together.

ALSO its well lit! The first scene in episode one is FRUSTRATING because it is DARK AS HECKASS and I was not even sure if that was Danny at first?

THE DRAGON FIGHT is almost as badly lit and thats NOT EVEN THE WORST OF IT. No the Dragon fight is fluster-frusteration because.... its a big magic macguffin that...dont do nuffin. There is a lot of build up about it? there is a big magic door, and it can only be opened By Iron Fist. I am not going to pretend Logic is a thing these shows has ever cared about BUT THE FEELING I GOT... was that there was something in there that was at very least PARTLY for an Iron Fist?
(And secretly I was hoping it was gonna be a gate to K'un-lun?)
Fighting in THE BONE ZONE of a Giant load bearing Dragon is all very impressive and cool but I was Ultimately disappointed that it Didnt...do anything with THE FIST? It was less a sealed treasure and more like a root cellar where they were keeping their rare and precious soup bones. I mean sure we're all concerned about improper mining practices but givin they only have one elevator thats gotta be like... at least a few days from opening the thing?

I didnt go too deeply into the Villains in my first word barf but its both a shame and almost a good call that Shades and Black Maria werent thrown in the mix. They ended up like a bumbling Team Rocket (that does murders) in the back half of Luke Cage and having them have to bend the knee to Working Girl's Katherine Parker would diminish them even worse than they had been having to listen to evil power ranger man.

BUT OKAY, they have five HAND fingers
Magic Grandma Madame Gao does some jobbing for NO DANA, ONLY ZUUL and as the only threatening part of Iron Fist this has some weight. Also she does some other classic magic grandma stuff when they decide Sigourney Weaver's plans are silly. I would be sad to see her go but also would like to never hear about the Hand again.
Her motivation this time suggests she is primarily concerned with going back to K'un-lun which suggests it maybe actually isnt destroyed?
Her fighting Style is to magically shove stuff around, so is probably the only one who could probably bother Luke Cage (cause Magic), but then also sometimes Luke Cage would knock her over, which is hilarious and horrible?
Rating: THUMB. Does the majority of the lifting.

Sowande: on the Street they call him White Hat and its kind of telling he is doing his own recruitment of murder janitors that the Hand aint doin so well anymore. I'd say he is the worst one but... Bakuto is right there.
Ornamental but doesnt do much? His fighting Style is to be tied to a chair and make idle threats.
Rating: Ring finger

Bakuto: I know I said I wanted the ancillory cast to do more things but I didnt actually want one Hand leader to be unnecessarily fixated on Colleen Wing because of reasons?
Also he had his head cut off which was supposed to be the main way to kill Hand dudes? So does Iron Fist take place at the same time as Daredevil Season 2 and they had some GOO left to put him back together, and THEN they ran out cause of Elektra? His fighting style is be a bad guidance counselor for at risk teens but also a katana.
Rating: Pinkie Finger.

Murakami first shows up doing stuff to a bear or bear shaped prop. Apparently endangered and also he was wrestling with it, but then brought it to new york? I assume he took a plane but maybe he swam.
He is basically Nobu 2.0 I guess. His fighting style is to tell THE DIRECTOR her plan is dumb and he doesnt respect her.
Rating: Middle Finger

(Susan) ALEXANDRA (weaver) is the big name villain get. We can empathize with her fear of her own mortality and panic as her time is running out, but also she does the "Ancient implacable majestic edifice thing"
She stands there and looks intimidating until she gets stabbed in the back.
Rating: Index finger?

Elektra is the Black Sky and its not clear what that does except that they used all their goo to bring her to life and then had a training montage where she kept killing larger and larger groups of ninjas. So aside from using their precious goo supplies, she is also a huge investment of personnel? She is good at killing and a living weapon so I wouldnt be surprised if it was a counter to The Iron Fist of K'un-lun but they dont say much about that. Well except when they tell Danny what he saw was just what he want to saw when he saw K'un-lun all murdered up? Either Elektra Nachos did it or it was a clever illusion to make Danny go away.

Aside from hogging all the Goo and dooming the Hand maybe Elektra's fighting Style is killing all the parental figures so she can live in a world of no rules or bedtimes. Wow Danny, you and Elektra have more in common than you might think!
Rating: UP HIGH...DOWN LOW.... Too slow

STICK! Stick's a Villain. OR IS HE?! He is. Surly, crotchety and having been too deeply indocrinated in some bizarre war for too long. SURE Everyone who meets Danny thinks about Killing him sooner or later. But eventually you realize its not worth the effort.
But Also he was sort of right, killing Danny could have fundamentally left the hand to finally bleed out, wither and die. But he would have been less right if Danny could have been convinced to just walk away and hide for a while, because then Danny could still be actively opposing the hand and dismantling its long reaching infrastructure, instead of waiting for their no longer immortal head to die off.
Stick is in a weird position of being the only one who will actually these century old monsters? I know we're supposed to respect our heroes for bravely just killing them all with crushing rocks instead of their magic hands but like is anyone really invested in "oh good they dont kill people"
Characters..... Aside from I guess Luke Cage?
RATING: A bloody stump

COLOURTHEORY WISE I think its kind of cool that Together the Primary Colour crew form a pretty good Super-man?
Luke Cage Man of Steel forms the shield and the positive community rolemodel!
Jessica brings the Emotional distance and leaping tall buildings! (Except in this where she just watches Matt parkour up one and shrugs)
And Matt Brings the whole Complicated secret Identity and lying! But also the Super Sense and emotional connection to regular people.

I doubt its intentional but also I like the INDELIBLE SMEARS that Superman has left on all super heroes FROM WHICH NO ONE CAN EVER ESCAPE
Old 08-22-2017, 05:38 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Luke Cage, Colleen Wing, and Night Nurse can fight to the death to see who gets to be the straight man. (this series has established that Cage's powers don't provide too much of an affair advantage in a fight) Losers get resurrected as fun villains.
And a Misty Knight that gets to be the fun version of the character. You know, robot arm Pam Grier.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:32 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunther, an Otter View Post
Sowande: on the Street they call him White Hat and its kind of telling he is doing his own recruitment of murder janitors that the Hand aint doin so well anymore. I'd say he is the worst one but... Bakuto is right there.
Ornamental but doesnt do much? His fighting Style is to be tied to a chair and make idle threats.
Gunther, every time you post is Magical. I wish you posted more.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:43 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
but only one is good for an Iron Fistfeat at a time, right? They have an entire episode based on the refractory period of his Fist. Or does he only do normal punches with one hand? I am NOT carefully keeping track of this; I always welcome new lore and with open fists. (not-fists, if you will)
http://cdn4.thr.com/sites/default/fi.../iron_fist.jpg

In the comics, he's not limited to a single fist and frequently has them both going while he's in a tough situation. He seems gimped on TV.

Quote:
Luke Cage and Danny having conversations went a LONG WAY towards improving Danny. The two just bounce off eachother so, SO well, to the point where I find myself hoping that either character's next series has the other doing an extended guest spot.

Whatever. Point is, in spite of all human logic, Marvel somehow managed to stumble across a way to make me actually enjoy watching the dumbass antics of FAILURE KNIGHT DANNY RAND. Here's hoping they internalize that deep wisdom by giving Mike Colter however many thousands of dollars it takes to make him stick around.
Marvel figured this out in the 70s which is why they've been a team since then.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:11 PM
120 Days

Didn't Misty lose her arm in LC?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Didn't Misty lose her arm in LC?
No, she gets shot in the arm and Claire says something about it needing to be treated or it might need to be amputated and they went with the first option.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Two episodes in. It feels like these episodes are fifty percent Danny Rand being as bland as possible, followed by an excruciatingly small amount of time devoted to all of the other non-sucky characters, which is already slowly being eroded by stupid fucking Elektra, fuck
Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 PM
does the Underpants Dance

This show was mostly a disappointment. I feel like you could watch the last episode and nothing else and get everything you need to know about the plot progression of this particular Marvel universe...and plot progression is really all the show was for. It was nice to see Jessica Jones again, but as others have mentioned she didn't do much. Hopefully The Hand can finally take a backseat in these shows. Why did a shadowy ninja organization have to be so boring?
Old 08-25-2017, 03:53 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

So I'm finished and the series was..... mostly alright.

Starts way too slow, took too long for the group to come together. Hopefully the next time this crossover comes around they all unite by the end of the first episode instead of by the end of the third.

The middle episodes, 4, 5, and 6, are the best of the lot (and I guess you can throw in the last 10 minutes of episode 3 too). The interactions between all four are best in these episodes, there's good action and the plot actually makes sense a little bit in this window.

Then it kind of falls apart in the last two episodes. Danny has been separated from the one thing that makes him tolerable (derision from the other three) and the Hand's plans just get really, really stupid. The finale is more confusing than anything else.

Speaking of, the finale! I have a lot of questions about what went down here. Like why would digging out some old bones for dragon goo destroy all of New York? How on earth is the Hand desperate for this stuff now when they were resurrecting mooks left and right in DD S2? Did no one keep an eye on how low their dragon goo reservoir was? Why do they keep calling a dragon tomb 'Kun L'un'? Kun L'un is a magical kung fu city in asia which may or may not be destroyed, it's not under New York. What the hell did Luke say to the officers that got them all to suddenly evacuate? Must've been significant, pity the show never told us. But I think the biggest question of all that I have is

HOW THE HELL ARE THEY NOT ALL ARRESTED? HOOOOOWWWW?

Oh, Foggy says the DA can't press charges since the police never filed a report???? How the what?! They ran from police custody by breaking down a wall, stole goddamn C4 from the evidence room, rigged an entire building to implode, were basically responsible for an officer losing a limb, and disobeyed orders and resisted arrest when the police finally confronted them. Not to mention there was a Captain present who was after their hides specifically! How were they not even in cuffs when the building came down after they evacuated? Why after getting Misty to an ambulance were they left to freely stand around like it's no big deal?

There was a LOT of lazy, shoddy, hand-wavey writing going on in The Defenders, but I think the utter lack of (legal) consequences bugs me the most. It's as if the writers were like "Wellllll the building has to go down to stop the Hand, and the heroes have to do it, but we really really don't want them to face any consequences for it... so they don't!" There was already a goddamn legal miracle back when Jessica got off for killing Kilgrave, but I don't care HOW good Hogarth is she ain't that good.

But that question aside, the biggest problem the series has overall, story-wise, is the Hand. They're not even consistent here with how they have been presented before, they're whatever they need to be for any given appearance. About the only good thing I can say about the Hand's usage in The Defenders is they seem to be out of commission now for a good long while. I mean, Gao probably survived somehow, but that's fine since she was the only good thing about it.

Though, honestly, another problem with using the Hand here is that they were just too big. The Marvel Netflix shows were always best when taking on smaller-scale stuff, they're more like the Avengers for the streets. Having them fight a global ninja conspiracy that threatens to destroy the entire city seems more like the job for the actual Avengers. I get that this kind of had to be about the Hand, since that was the only way to get Danny back to New York after his first season, but imagine how this could have turned out if it were instead the Defenders vs a Fisk and Black Mariah team-up? Now those two could do some damage together.

As for the Defenders themselves, well Danny managed to be less obnoxious, but that was only due to the others, which we can assume won't be in his second season. But you never know, maybe they'll bring Luke along for Iron Fist S2.

Speaking of Danny, my favorite moment of his (well, 'favorite') is in the second-last episode, where he's fighting Elektra. He knows that using the Iron Fist is what she wants and he goddamn does it anyway! But at first it looks like he was being smart and only used it to punch her! Good job, Danny! Making sure the thing you can only once per scene hits its mark! But then, he's able to maintain the Iron Fist this time, somehow! He's improved! Nice! But then Elektra punks him by directing his fist right into the goddamn magical dragon wall. For crying out loud, Danny! You can't even surpass your limitations without fucking it up!

Murdock probably wins the best acting award out of the four of him, but it's still so hard to care about his story when it's just about Elektra and the goddamn Hand again. But I am looking forward to what's to come, especially if the rumors about where they're going to take DD S3 come to fruition. Favorite moment: fighting Danny in episode 6.

Jessica is easily the most fun to watch and, for me, was worth the price of admission. I never got tired of her put-downs of the others. "Nice ears." Favorite moment: throwing a goddamn car through the restaurant window to make her re-entrance.

Luke felt like the voice of reason more often than not, even if that voice often went unheard. It helps that Mike Colter is one charming sunnovabitch. That's pretty much the only reason I stuck around for the dull second half of Luke Cage S1. Favorite moment: pretty much any time he put Danny in his place, though I do like their first encounter. Certainly the highlight of the first two episodes.

So anyway, I'm actually more hopeful for the future of these shows, if only because the Hand is out of the picture for now. Might be overly optimistic of me, we'll see.

Oh, one last thing, biggest missed opportunity: Jessica never found out Hogarth is childhood friends with Danny. The fact that Hogarth is in this at all, when she only showed up for like two minutes tops, is weird enough, but it's a shame they never took her appearance to the logical conclusion. I'm sure they could have gotten a joke out of Jessica finding that out somehow.

Anyway, next up is The Punisher later this fall, with Jessica Jones S2 sometime next year. Not sure what's after that. Maybe Daredevil S3?
Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM
Senhor Member

Quote:
Jessica is easily the most fun to watch and, for me, was worth the price of admission. I never got tired of her put-downs of the others. "Nice ears." Favorite moment: throwing a goddamn car through the restaurant window to make her re-entrance.
I thought this was very rude to the restaurauter(s)! But they probably have hand-wave-y MCU insurance suitable for the unique legal landscape you note in your post. I'm sure it was NBD! Let Jessica have her moment.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:19 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Eh, Danny bought the building and has All Of The Money. I just look at it as yet another put down for him.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:01 PM
120 Days

Super Joan Jett
Old 08-26-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

I! Don't! Care! About! Elektra!
Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Wasn't sure if this goes here or the General Marvel Movie/Show thread but...

Fuck yeah!
Old 08-30-2017, 06:03 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Favorite moment: throwing a goddamn car through the restaurant window to make her re-entrance.
I thought she drove the car.

Overall I enjoyed the Defenders but yeah, sloppy ass writing all over the place. Good to see characters like Misty and the partnership between Luke and Danny get closer to their comic versions.

I liked the Hand leader who only ever spoke Japanese. I also enjoyed how three of the five all died by having their heads cut off with swords.

Punisher is later this year, JJ2 and LC2 are both next year.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 AM
120 Days

ok

I liked this. And i discovered truly why I like all these Netflix marvel shows:

They are low rent. I like that they are all like 90% in parkades and warehouses. It's like it's in the 89 Punisher movie continuity. And I like that.

oh also - Danny doesn't suck any more. He's the Jon Snow. Like admirable, but completely ignorant and stupid, but at the beginning is the only one idealistic enough to want to team up, having learned that going all lone wolf defeated him. I sort of loved it. And I get why dickhead there was cast: his chemistry with Cage is rad. They must have tested that at some point.

post script: how did they get Weaver to agree to that? She def classed the joint up, but pretty wasted.

ALSO: let's hope that's the end of the hand.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Wasn't sure if this goes here or the General Marvel Movie/Show thread but...

Fuck yeah!
Luke Cage has a thread. Iron Fist was the only series not granted that distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I thought she drove the car.
It is a bit unclear, since you do hear something that sounds like a car's engine right before it crashes through the window, but then we see Jessica walk in from behind it.

So I just prefer to think she threw it.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:26 PM
Sudden chomper

I finished watching this last night because the XCOM expansion literally took 3 hours to finish installing. It was...OK? Like the other Marvel TV series that I've watched, JJ and LC, it kind of felt like it didn't really live up to its potential. Or rather, it totally did for that one scene at the end of episode 2 and then not really again for the rest of the series. I'm a little torn, because they have such a great cast for the primary characters (barring Danny), but they can't quite seem to tell a good story with any of them. Well, Jessica Jones S1 was a good story, but in that case I was put off by how bloody and dismal everything was. Anyway, once again it was a treat to see Jessica, Luke, Matt and even Danny bouncing off each other, but the story they were in was messy and unsatisfying. The pacing was too slow, it felt disjointed and the dialogue was occasionally just terrible. But some part of me can't shake the felling that next time, they're gonna do it RIGHT. Which I guess is how I often feel about Marvel movies, come to think of it. They're full of charismatic actors being super fun to watch, but they all leave me feeling a little empty at the end. And so it was for the Defenders.

Final grade: B-, would probably watch another season (but please speed up the pacing next time)

Tags
danny rand is the worst , hallways , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , moon knight when , more threads!