The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 10-01-2016, 05:05 PM

EPISODE 7:

Mariah's sort of been my favorite character and now holy shit. I did not expect her to go full Cersei and thrash to death a man twice her size and weight. That was a worse fate Luke Cage would've dealt.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:53 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Episode 11: now I want a Misty/Claire police procedural spin off.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41 AM

I just watched the first 2 episodes. I think this is the best Marvel Netflix thing yet.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:49 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

I finished the series last night, I'll save the discussion for later when more people have finished it too, but I will say that the Netflix Marvel shows are now four for four on having a great first two-thirds and a bad final third.
Old 10-02-2016, 01:28 PM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

So Luke Cage hasn't had anything QUITE as egrariously terrible As Jessica Jones Episode 10, but From the end of Seven Onwards... Well that was the point where I couldn't NOT start tweeting.

SUDDENLY SECRET VERY INCONSPICUOUS HUMVEE.

LIKE NOT A CIVILIAN H2 OR WHATEVER.
ARMY HUMVEE DRIVING AROUND HARLEM GIVING OUT FREE MAGIC BULLETS.
(THE BULLETS ARE ALSO FROM SPACE).

THE EXTREMELY INCONSPICUOUS HUMVEE JUST BLEW UP AN AMBELANTS.
NOBODY SAW NOTHIN

ITS THE WARRIORS NOW.

BAD LADY IS REFLECTING ON HER BAD DEEDS.
SHE IS VERY UPSET THAT THE CRIMES MAN IS TELLING HER HOW TO CRIME BECAUSE SHE'S INDEPENDENT.

SUDDENLY EVERYBODY BELIEVES THE BAD LADY EVEN THO THEY DIDN'T LAST EPISODE.

WHER WER U AT THE TIME OF THE MURDA?
GETTING SHOT AT IN THE MIDDLE OF A CROWDED STREET BY A GUY IN A HUMMER

HE WAS SHOUTING QUOTES FROM THE WARRIORS AND CARRYING A MASSIVE GUN AND ALSO HE BLEW UP AN AMBELANTS.

IT WAS KINDA HARD TO IGNORE.

LUKE IS A DOKTOR NOW.

THE LADY THEY PAID TO SAY LUKE DID IT IS VERY GOOD ACTOE

WHERE IS CAGE?
IDK DID YOU CHECK THE CORNER WHERE THE HUMVEE BLEW UP THE AMBULENCE?

OKAY THEY FOUND HIM BY TRIANGULATING A CALL.
I WONDER IF THEY'LL NOTICE THE BURNING AMBULANCE ON THE WAY IN.

HUMVEE BOY IS QUOTING THE BIBLE WHILE THREATNING A COP

NOBODY NOTICED BIBLE HUMVEE AMBULANCE BLOWER UPPER BOI

IT WAS ME! SNAKE BOI! ALL ALONG!

GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY
GARBAGE DAY

Old 10-02-2016, 01:46 PM
'SUP NERDS.

Also the attempt to make this TOPICAL by linking it back to the EXTREMELY IMPORTANT topic of police brutality is uh.

Uh.

So like.

The LOGIC at play is just like oh my gog.
Marvel is really fucking hurting for the X-Men film rights. Not because Wolverine and Deadpool are bankable, but because they fucking Miss the X-MEN METAPHOR, where they can draw a parallel between IRL injustices and SUPERPOWERS. Back in Jessico Jams they tried to just do the X-MEN METAPHOR anyways by trying to just sorta dump in PREDJUDICE AGAINST GUYS WHAT GOT SUPER-SCIENCE'd out of nowhere like NBD. And it was stupid and terrible and completely illogical and totally at odds with everything in the MCU and we all just sort of collectively agreed to just forget that part.

But Marvel just can't let the X-MEN METAPHOR go, so they're trying to sneak it back in here by having the BAD GUYS try to whip up the public into a frenzy about How much they HATE SUPERS to sell SUPER KILLING BULLETS. Okay fine whatever. You could totally write a story about that. People in power hate and fear people different from them, want to take them down, turn killing them into a commodity. Sure. A good writer could totally make a legit story about that while making a salient and important point in the subtext.

But at the SAME TIME, in the SAME SCENES its getting to that point by portraying police injustice against NORMAL minoritie. So you got a fictional injustice that draws parallels to a real injustice, and a REAL injustice sorta shoved into the same spot.

And now the story is trying to use people being upset about the REAL injustice to PUSH the FAKE injustice... And it doesn't really make any sense? Like the idea that people suffering the REAL injustice will be the best way to accomplish the fake injustice?

It's a VERY, VERY confused standpoint. It doesn't really make any sense in context and the whole thing kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:21 PM

Finished. Christ. Taking in these Marvel shows is like swallowing a horse pill. Just as I suspected, there wasn't enough to justify 13 hours of vegetating in front of a screen and this show in particular was meant to be binged. (I don't like it when shows are designed to be binged.) Unlike Jessica Jones, which I gave up after 10 episodes, it had just enough to keep me watching. I was at least invested in seeing it through.

Overall, I would say it was OK but tonally it was all over the place, there was a lot of stuff that didn't make sense (and it wasn't an issue of realism for me) and Luke Cage really wasn't all that interesting to me.

The social justice content wasn't as obnoxiously done as it was in JJ and I thought it was done well here and here, although I think The Message got numbingly confused at times (BEAT zeroes in on this upthread) and sometimes I wonder if the hot button issues that's grabbed headlines this decade (police shootings, police brutality, rape, etc.) is best served by cartoonish superhero material.

I mean, the Final Fight is Luke Cage vs. Power Ranger Villain Diamondback and the first part of it takes place in a black barbershop in Harlem and it's over their cheating, unloving father. Besides the silliness of this scenario, typical in the superhero genre, there seems to be a subtext here that plays into negative stereotypes about black men.

Speaking of that final boss fight, it was a prime example of something that happened over and over again in this series that was a drawback: unnecessary character background. Background that seems to develop characters but is done so clumsily or doesn't really add to the story. Like, why did we need those early boxing scenes and needed them intercutting in the fight? We already know these dudes grew up together and what their relationship was like. It didn't add emotional depth to the final fight.

And that leads to my next point: WTF is up with the storyline of this show. It starts off one way and ends several different ways. First we have Cottonmouth and Mariah as the main villains, then it's this Anton Chigurh-like crazy man named Diamondback, who has bizarre access to Justin Hammer's weapons catalog and oh by the way turns out to be Luke's brother. Plot twist!

Cottonmouth was a decent enough villain (played very well by Mahershala Ali), and the show spends a lot of time on the interesting dynamic between him and Mariah (their family were like the Lannisters of this show), and how Luke Cage had to "fight" him from a public relations standpoint instead of fist-to-fist... but then you kill him off and replace him with an evil-grinning, Bible-quoting serial killer? I thought Cottonmouth's death was brilliant but that felt like it should've happened more towards the end.

ANYWAYS, I don't want to dwell on the negative. So here's a tiny paragraph on the good! The music was fantastic, probably some of the best in any TV show, I loved the characters of Misty Knight and Mariah Dillard, I especially loved how deeply flawed a hero the former was, and I continue to like the small-scale street-level focus of these MCU TV shows. It's like Marvel is mapping out the City of New York with these superheroes and also giving more depth to the events of The Avengers.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:31 PM
'SUP NERDS.

I think what really hurts these shows is the 13 episode setup.

I just finished episode 10. Everything up to the end of seven felt REALLY GOOD but now it all feels weird and sort of thrown together to keep me guessing.

Maybe if they only had to fill 10 hours instead of 13, they could have made a more coherent piece.

It's still pretty fun tho. And WU TANG CLAN in episode 3 is one of the best things I've ever seen.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:47 PM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

has someone done a YouTube recut that uses the dirty version of the song yet
Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 PM
'SUP NERDS.

Oh my god the BAD BOI COSTUME
Old 10-02-2016, 09:56 PM

I'd rate this above Daredevil S2, despite the goofiness. Daredevil had the best first season of the MCU TV series... and then the worst season, imo.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:58 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Loving this so far. (Ep3). But you all are crazy. JJ was dynamite.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:54 AM
concentrate

Two episodes left. This show would probably be in my top 5 of all time, if it wasn't for the writing, which is all over the place. Sometimes it's great! Other times it's dumb-dumb. Specifically, pretty much everything relating to Diamondback is stupid as hell.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Default IS IT REALLY A SPOILER TO SAY THE BAD GUYS IS THE BAD GUY I MEAN SERIOUSLY.

Whelp i finished it.

Marvel really should have written the contracts for these shows to have... I don't know, a few episodes LESS than 13.

Like, everything through THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF COTTONMOUTH was basically perfect.

And then... Yeah.

Last edited by BEAT; 10-03-2016 at 06:33 AM. Reason: BLARG SPOILERS.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:58 AM
'SUP NERDS.

I spoiled myself on the fact that the grand finale was CAGE V POWER SUIT THROWDOWN and got all excited.

Then I actually saw it and wow that was not even close to as cool as what i was imagining. I had gotten my hopes up for something more like an epic throwdown against an off-brand iron man or at the very least something better than some clumsy clubbering against a dude in an old air force flightsuit and bike helmet.

But in a weird way, it ALMOST got me! It was so goofy and campy and silly, I almost wrapped all the way back around to appreciating it! Started thinking "So it's like a throwback to stuff like batman from the 60s?" or something. Hoaky as hell, but feel-good-fun where you're allowed to smile and enjoy! I prepared my heart to accept that the note they wanted to go out with a positive optimistic comicbook-syle ending with a smile in my heart. Cuz let's face, it I LIKE goofy comic book shit! I LIKE the idea that good can prevail over evil! In world where darkness is ever present, sometimes it's just NICE to have that darkness exposed for the sham it is, and then get it's face smashed in. Hell, I'll take it!

THEN SUDDENLY GUT PUNCH ENDING OF INFINITE SADNESS.

So what the fuck? I get making the highs higher so the lows feel lower but going from SUDDENLY GO GO POWER RANGERS to SUDDENLY MORGAN FREEMAN'S MONOLOGUE AT THE END OF SE7EN is just kinda bullshit! It's not a case of artfully subverted expectations, it's just kinda terrible.

That sounds awfully mean I know, which sucks because for at least 95% of the experience I had a pretty good time! It had kickass action, done by a kickass lead! It's setting and cast was a wonderful and welcome change from the critical levels of WHITE PEOPLE found in most other superhero media! The sountrack was a great departure from the Opratic or Rock scores in most superhero tv or movies. There's stuff to like here!

But man the bits where it fumbles are hard to ignore.

Last edited by BEAT; 10-03-2016 at 06:20 AM. Reason: ADDING SPOILER BOXES EVEN THO I WAS PRETTY NON-SPECIFIC BUT WHATEVER. RE-EDIT AND THEN I RE-WROTE LIKE 99% OF IT.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:07 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Also SUDDENLY METHOD MAN.

"But BEAT" you might say, "Isn't SUDDENLY METHOD MAN a cheap stunt casting trick that just makes the show's confused tone even more confused?"

I will look you gravely in the eye and harshly whisper "Are you saying you want less SUDDENLY METHOD MAN in your life?!"

"You're right, what was I thinking!" you will exclaim, slightly embarrassed that the thought even crossed your mind. But Your momentary slip-up is already forgiven! Because you have allowed the joy of SUDDENLY METHOD MAN to fill your heart! Two of us will happily skip off into the sunset, thrilled by the fact that we live in a world that is good enough for SUDDENLY METHOD MAN to exist.

Last edited by BEAT; 10-03-2016 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:23 AM
Sudden chomper

Two episodes in and I'm really liking it so far. Not much to say just yet, though.

EDIT: I will say that it was pretty funny how happy they were with themselves that they got Raphael Saadiq on the show as a musical guest. Lots of characters making doe eyes at him during those scenes.

Last edited by MCBanjoMike; 10-03-2016 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:20 PM
120 Days

Squabbles is Poet from Oz!
Old 10-04-2016, 12:41 AM
concentrate

Finished. Suddenly Method Man was, indeed, totally worth it. He even raps a whole song!

That ending certainly was a big TO BE CONTINUED, huh.

All in all, I'd say it about ties with Jessica Jones: it has a lot of good, some bad and some filler that it could have done without. Still, the good parts are really good, so I can't complain too much.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:05 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him
Default "But Luke Cage, I sell guns to the community!"

Finished this the other night. Really strong first half, but then it got increasingly shaky in the back six until I was kind of just ready for it to be over. That said, the casting and acting (with one or two exceptions) was consistently superb even when the writing wasn't, and the strength of the cast managed to carry the show through its weaker moments. Misty, Mariah and Shades were probably my standout favorites. And Cottonmouth. And Pop. And Claire's always great. EVERYONE WAS GREAT

Having a mainstream genre show like this with a majority black cast is just so, so valuable and so needed right now, especially in a genre where until very recently the best one could hope for was the "funny black sidekick" role. And so many women of color in prominent roles with diverse experiences and characterizations. Loved the emphasis on Harlem's history, heritage and community. I can only hope Iron Fist is able to do similarly for Asian representation, its white boy lead aside.

A bulletproof black man in a hoodie is exactly the superhero our country needs right now, but while the series gave a few nods to BLM, I feel they had an opportunity here to do some strong messaging and largely passed it up. As BEAT mentioned upthread there's a truly bewildering moment where Mariah whips up an an angry mob with talk of police brutality, and then gets them all to enthusiastically agree that the answer is arming the cops with alien superweapons. What?! It's not this show's responsibility to cure society's ills, but if you're not going to address the issue properly then don't make a weird, muddled gesture like that.

Diamondback for Cottonmouth was a poor trade. Cottonmouth was conflicted and overcompensated for his uncertainty in his own position with aggression and showmanship. He had personal ties to Harlem and to Mariah, and to another possible path for himself in his musical talent. Then he gets suddenly killed off, in an amazing scene which I assumed was going to be the beginnings of Mariah rising to replace him at the top. But not really? Instead she sort of gets shuffled off to the side and we get a one-note cartoony grinning psychopath villain. Once Diamondback stepped onto the scene, the show seemed to lose a lot of the unique flavor it displayed in the first half. "This is a battle for the soul of Harlem!" Mariah declares during the final showdown. Is it, though? Diamondback earlier told her that he planned to "evaporate" once he killed Luke, so he appears to have no real interest in Harlem one way or the other.

All the SUPER SCIENCE technobabble with Dr. Jon Lovitz was maximum goofy and went on way too fucking long. It was just a bunch of random nonsense. THE SEASHELL DNA IS BREAKING DOWN WE NEED TO PUT HIM IN ACID TURN UP THE TEMPERATURE THROW A BUNCH OF SALT IN THERE IT'S NOT WORKING THE LEVELS ARE OFF THE CHARTS WE'VE GOT TO SHOCK HIM THERE'S ONLY ONE CHANCE WE DID IT!!!

I was way into Misty's whole arc, and the scenes between her and the police psychologist were super good. No robo-arm for her, boo. Would have seemed a little out of place, I guess. Although Diamondback did have those powered gauntlets; maybe she could have picked one of those up as a compromise.

Method Man enthusiastically twiddling his fingers through the holes in Luke's hoodie was so cute I immediately watched the scene a second time before moving on.

No Jessica. I was hoping she'd show up in a flashback or something, and once we took care of Diamondback with half an hour to spare in the last episode I was sure we'd get a little epilogue with her and Luke reuniting. Oh well.

That was a lot of complaining, but overall I did enjoy the series despite it not really sticking the landing. I hope a second season is able to address some of these flaws, and I'm especially interested to see where Mariah's story goes from here.

I EAGERLY AWAIT BEING IRON FISTED
Old 10-06-2016, 02:09 PM

I kept expecting Shades to have some kind of superpower. Like shoot lasers out of his shades. Right? Instead his superpower was being the most level-headed dude in the room who also kept obsessing (rightly) over the optics. I think his thing for Mariah was two-great-minds-think-alike besides his obvious amorous affection.

And to expound a little on this again, I loved how Misty had her heart in the right place but, despite some successes here and there, kept fucking up over and over again. That final scene between her and Priscilla Ridley (who sort of looked like her mom) was devastating. It was refreshing take on the hotheaded cop cliche.

Also yes the Dr. Jon Lovitz/Maurice Levy stuff was over-the-top ridiculous. I don't think I was paying attention much during those episodes (yes, plural).
Old 10-07-2016, 03:15 PM
120 Days

Ep9

I think they depoliticized the cop scene by having the black cop shoot Luke and getting the brunt of the violence. Plus "sorry guys". Wtf.

Edit: may have spoke too soon!

Last edited by chud_666; 10-07-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:51 PM
120 Days

Like Dizzy said above: oh sweet christman Misty, you lovable fuck up!

Also: we have reached maximum Dawson. I approve. Now will they eventually end that relationship so Luke can get back with JJ like in the comics?
Old 10-07-2016, 11:47 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Is the one thing all these Netflix Marvel shows are going to have in common are the nurse from Daredevil?
No, there are two: Claire and Turk. And tbh I love the both of them. You need that common thread to tie your world together. They're* the best part of the MTVU.

I only wish that each one went to a different place; JJ seriously wasted an opportunity by Also being set in Hell's Kitchen. They've got a number of heroes from different locations: DD is very much tied to Hell's Kitchen, and Luke Cage they tied really hard to Harlem. If they could have put JJ in I dunno the Bronx or Queens or something and Iron Fist in, say, Manhattan... maybe throw in one more... they could have had a really good opportunity to not only place a hero in but RELATE a hero to each borough of NY and explore different places before then uniting them as a team of heroes for NY as a whole. Maybe a little cheesy or on-the-nose, but it could have created a lot of interesting minor background/setting/thematic notes and diversified between the shows.

Anyway! Just finished this and also currently listening to Wu-Tang.

Verdict: Best and most consistent of the Marvel TV series. Not by a huge margin, but definitively.

I never felt like it went so far off the rails as the other ones. JJ's "oh shit she caught the bad guy but a whiny white guy knocked her out" multi-episode bullshit and DD2's, uh, everything involving elektra/the hand really felt out-of-place, like, the season derailed. And I honestly didn't feel there was anything like that here in Luke Cage.

Full Series spoilers follow.

Yeah, Diamondback was over the top. He was corny and cheesy and comic booky. He fell quite solidly into the "there but for the grace of god go I" evil-version-of-hero trope that ruins all first superhero movies by having the brotherly backstory connection. How he managed to run the most powerful arms cartel and nobody even knew what he looked like until he was suddenly everpresent and all over the place is a bit... mysterious. But it never went, like, WAY out of bounds. There was never a moment, for me, where I sat up and went "Oh, Come ON." Finding tech that can deal with superheroes is a really interesting hook worth following if you're going to take the Marvel TV path of "forget cosmic battles and aliens, here's life on the streets in NY in a world with superpowers."

You wanna get logical about plot-holes: beyond his coming out of the shadows, what about his suppliers for rare superhero-killing alien metal? Where'd he get that shit? Also, the police were probably god help me a bit TOO weak w/r/t oops avoid the politicians and everyone walks free with no problems at all ever. And what the fuck happened with Misty's arm? Like, No girl you canNOT lift your arm or move anything below your elbow. Your veins are FUKT and your muscles are GONE. Apparently she has a bionic arm in the comics and this was a nod to that? But after that serious of damage, I was disappointed she not only didn't lose her arm but regained full motion and use of it in less than a day?

The plot wasn't weak but it also didn't break any ground. Reluctant hero, invincibly powerful, sudden unexpected threat to that power, emotional and social repercussions to focus on since "who can punch harder" is already a known factor, etc.

The characters were really, really strong. Cornell "Cottonmouth" Stokes and "Black" Mariah Dillard and Mercedes "Misty" Knight had a lot of really, really interesting stuff going on. Two of the best villains and one of the best Supporting!Heroes of the MTVU so far. Even Shades as the weird aloof unmoved guy played his unimpressive thing to the hilt and delivered.

Luke himself was honestly a bit flat, but Colter played what he was given really well. Pop too was a bit on-the-nose as the wise fatherly hero destined to die as our hero's inspiration.

But that all brings me to the most important part:

This is a black show. It's a very black show. It's the blackest fucking television show since like Good Times or something I dunno* and that's so fucking big and good and important.

If you took this exact plot outline and shot it with white heroes, it would have been boring. Like, there's some interesting stuff with the characters, and you coulda found analagously good actors and characters and whatnot. But on the sole virtue of the story itself, purely objectively, it would have landed solidly in the middle of the the MTVU: decent superhero story I guess.

But this is a capital-b Black TV show and the creators went ALL IN on that. They said "okay, we got a superhero. He was created as a token Black Superhero and/or sop to blaxploitation in the 70s. And we have to make a TV show out of that in 2016. Okay. Well. Fine. You want a capital-b Black superhero? Today? Here. You're gonna get one. Here you fucking go."

They took Harlem and said we're gonna make a Harlem TV show. They took this night club setting, no idea if it was original to the comics or not, but they said we're gonna put these iconic musicians in it. Method Man made a goddamn cameo. DAPPER DAN made a goddamn cameo. We're going to very conspicuously and clumsily namedrop all these icons of Black Literature. Fuck superhero costumes: our black superhero's costume is going to be a bullet-riddled hoodie.

Think about that.

The closest the show's hero or anyone in the show got to a distinct identifying costume was

A BULLET-RIDDLED HOODIE.

There were times when I thought it was actually too conspicuous: like he would just walk around the city forever in a hoodie full of bullet holes. Diagetically I was like Luke, take that damn thing off, someone's gonna notice. It's kind of conspicuous.

But I only just realized that that was the point. Black men wearing hoodies full of bullet holes AREN'T conspicuous anymore. They fit right in. Our hero was a black man walking around RIDDLED WITH BULLET HOLES because PEOPLE KEEP SHOOTING HIM. He's the Bulletproof Black Man, and THAT'S the timely superheroic concept that the show is tapping into. Again: Not subtle. They were pretty explicit about this. That's the symbolic level the show is operating on, and why I don't think they dropped the ball on their messaging at all.

The Mariah "Arm the police!!" moment that Vaeran and BEAT mention was definitely a "Wait what the FUCK" thing for me too, in the moment. But on reflection, it clearly seems to be on purpose. Remember: Mariah is a villain. She's a corrupt politician and just in case we needed a hint, a murderer. She's the one who won't stop to use and abuse and manipulate people in the singular or plural to get ahead. Yes, she was selling a fearful mob on arming the police. That's what made her the bad guy. That was her Villain Song. She was willing to sell out the community to get ahead, to protect herself, to cover her ass. That's not a muddled gesture at all. That is a VERY CLEAR gesture that people in power, even black people in power, will execute the smoothest of heel-turns and sell out the community to the powers that be for self-advancement, even at the cost of the community they claim to represent and say they wish to advance.

Remember: everyone in this show is black, on purpose. The corrupt politician, the night club owner, the shadowy arms dealer, the hero and the nurse and the sage and the lackeys and the conflicted hardass cop with a heart of gold and BOTH of the female police lieutenants.

They easily could have made the bad guys white and the good guys black and played it off as a kind of empowerment narrative. They could have made it a ham-fisted "BLACK LIVES MATTER" blog post. But I felt like they went deeper than that. It took an unflinching gaze and showed the good with the bad. There were lines of dialogue about how all the kids had guns but none had fathers. The hero was an innocent ex-con and it was pointed out that's not really a dealbreaker for so many people in Harlem who have or had a father, brother, cousin, uncle or friend in jail, innocent or otherwise. The Sagely Father figure, Pop, was himself a reformed violent street thug. The central conflict was, yes, based on a dallying father and infidelity and bastardy (and they brilliantly completely ignored the father because he doesn't matter, and addressed the here and now). It acknowledged police violence against black youth (BULLET. RIDDLED. HOODIE.) but also showed black police officers caught in moral struggles with the system and addressing their personal connections to the street. They even made an ever-present passive dialogue point to address black people using the n-word to refer to themselves and each other, calling it out in early episodes and then letting it go on speaking for itself after that.

I don't know that it has a Message. I don't know that anyone would or was meant to come away with a Message except "superheroes are cool and good." I think it's enthusiastically in support of Black folk and Black culture and Black places and recognizes and illustrates the many struggles in Black communities with power and authority and street life and more.

I think it makes an effort to be a Black show, and also a MTVU superhero show, and not come down in a place where everyone watching it feels like they've been preached at yet still portrays a distinctly POC POV, and I think it succeeds wildly on all fronts. There's a lot of social media noise, don't know how much is real and how much is trumped out, about how some wypipo are freaking out because there are too many black people on the tv show and where are all the white people and this show is racist. If anything, that only proves that having a Black show in that kind of widely representative slot is in fact all they needed to do. They didn't need to date or sell their show to one specific movement or moment by having Luke Cage make a speech about how Black lives DO matter!!! They just said: Look, Black People.

And it's not like they ignored it: there's plenty of subtle and not-so-subtle nods to that anyway. Say it with me one more fucking time: Luke's superhero costume is a BULLET RIDDLED HOODIE. It's like the perceived BLM vs. real BLM. Critics think it's all about how they only want black people and think white people have no value and it's actually reverse racist or whatever. But actually, it's just Black people saying We're Here Too. We're real and we have value. And in the context of a whole lot of milquetoast white superheroes, this show does just that. It says Black People are here too. They're real and have value. They have culture and history and problems and virtue and stop ignoring them.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:30 AM
whatever it takes

That was a super good post, Paul.

Yeah, I had considered the angle you took on the "arm the police" scene (calling it Mariah's villain song is very apt) -- it's so obviously wrong and we're supposed to be surprised and horrified by it. I guess I was just dissatisfied that they spent less time on exploring the issues surrounding that that and devoted so much to a flat character like Diamondback, and other plot points that were non-starters for me.
Old 10-08-2016, 08:34 AM
120 Days

Well said Paul
Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 AM

My "Oh COME ON" moment with Diamondback was when he randomly interrupted Maria's meeting with the crime lords grinning and bragging about killing all the security singlehandedly and then picking off each crime lord with knives and bullets while they sat there like it was a normal meeting. Like WTF. It was just too random and this guy apparently was tutored in the art of death by the Terminator and Michael Myers from Halloween.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:19 AM
We just don't know.

Other minor gripes:

~I kinda wish Claire hadn't gotten romantically involved with Luke. I'm not like "He's gotta end up with JJ!" (I was rooting for Misty anyway) but I kinda wish Claire could just be there to help the Special People without falling for them.
~The final fight was really pretty lame. Just punchmans: the biggening. They kept showing the charger on the back and Luke never went for it to cripple the suit. Just punched through it somehow? But not harder than before?
~I still think Misty shoulda lost her arm and not because she has a bionic one in the comics, I didn't even know about that.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:23 AM
120 Days

I kinda like Luke and Misty's eventual mutual respect after a one night stand. I think it was super mature!

After reading your post I think the only important white character was Scarfe?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:28 AM
whatever it takes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
~I kinda wish Claire hadn't gotten romantically involved with Luke. I'm not like "He's gotta end up with JJ!" (I was rooting for Misty anyway) but I kinda wish Claire could just be there to help the Special People without falling for them.
I am unrepentant Jessica/Luke shipper trash so yes HE'S GOTTA END UP WITH JJ. ;_________;
*climbs into a garbage bag and hops out to the curb*

Quote:
~The final fight was really pretty lame. Just punchmans: the biggening. They kept showing the charger on the back and Luke never went for it to cripple the suit. Just punched through it somehow? But not harder than before?
Luke said he beat Diamondback by letting him burn out all his hatred, just like he used to let him tire himself out when they sparred as kids. Every time they cut back to the charger it was emitting a louder and higher-pitched noise, so I think we were supposed to understand that it was progressively powering up the suit in response to how amped up Diamondback got. Once he was wiped, it powered back down and Luke was able to stomp him. Or something. I dunno. There's a reason Hammer tech isn't at the top of the industry, probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
After reading your post I think the only important white character was Scarfe?
There's also Dr. Jon Lovitz and Rackham the racist prison guard, for certain values of "important" -- they're pivotal to Luke's story but only appear in a couple episodes. It's about the same proportion as you'd see of PoC in any mainstream white-majority cast show.

Tags
car door shield , heroes for hire , in the wind , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , sweet christmas , where's my money honey