The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-19-2015, 02:12 PM
Half-Ninja

Default Don't Trust the Purple Man in Apartment 23, AKA the Jessica Jones thread

Daredevil got his own thread, so this one should too.

Anyway, this comes out tomorrow! Reviews have been positive so far. Anyone else looking forward to this?
Old 11-19-2015, 02:13 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Oh shit tomorrow is already the 20th?! Uhhh, cool!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:22 PM
This Guy

This show is pretty much my plans for this weekend. The only thing hampering my enjoyment at all are that I don't that I'll be able to watch a Marvel Netflix show with thinking about the rumors that the Iron Fist series might get replaced with a Punisher one.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:23 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

HYPE METER:
[|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||] M A X I M U M
Old 11-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Senhor Member

I just rewatched/finished Don't Trust the Bitch in Apartment 23 because I saw an ad for this. Excellent show! Everyone should check it out.

The trailer did not appeal to me much, but I read a good review of this and I liked the comic when I read it... a while ago. I'm optimistic that it will be better than Daredevil.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:19 PM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

I'm chuffed, I is!
Old 11-20-2015, 06:26 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Sweet Christmas! Two episodes in and Luke Cage is freaking perfect.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:42 AM

Watched the first 30 min of first ep seemed good also Carrie Ann-Moss dayummmn and so who is the cheek licker dude okay gtg
Old 11-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Patsy Walker, you got yourself a story-arc. Good for you.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:56 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Man, when I get back to Canada this December, this and Daredevil are gonna be my jam!
Old 11-20-2015, 09:25 AM
Jingle Machine

I feel compelled to finish the first season of The Flash before I stRt this, but, luckily, I'm on the last episode anyway so NBD
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Geez, I'm only through the first episode so far, we haven't even SEEN Kilgrave yet and he's ALREADY one of the most unsettling villains I've seen on TV in awhile.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:31 PM
Jingle Machine

Yeah, just based on the strength of the first episode, in which he barely appeared, Kilgrave may well have had the single most turbo unsettling supervillain performance I've ever seen.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Sudden chomper

The last scene of the first episode completely traumatized my girlfriend. Don't think she'll be watching any more of this with me.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:57 PM
i musnt run away

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Geez, I'm only through the first episode so far, we haven't even SEEN Kilgrave yet and he's ALREADY one of the most unsettling villains I've seen on TV in awhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Yeah, just based on the strength of the first episode, in which he barely appeared, Kilgrave may well have had the single most turbo unsettling supervillain performance I've ever seen.
I also just watched the first episode, and damn that dude scary!
Old 11-21-2015, 02:34 AM
23 ski-dook

I liked the Daredevil series more than any of the MCU movies I've seen, so this one was an easy sell.

A few episodes in, and I'm digging it quite a bit, but one thing takes me out of the show whenever it happens: the goofy-ass way Jessica's superhuman jumps are shot.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:56 AM

And.... Done!

I'll probably chime in with some thoughts later after more people have time to watch, but that was a damn good series that was hella disturbing at points (warning anyone who has a thing about large needles in the freaking EYE!) and two things: one, kudos to the writers and to David Tennant since I don't think I will ever be able to watch his episodes of Doctor Who the same way anymore because there was too many of his Doctor's mannerisms in his performance of Killgrave that I will forever be creeped out, and Two, I want a Patsy Walker series damn it!
Old 11-21-2015, 07:47 AM

I'm not really finding Purple Dude who appears and reappears to lick things all that scary. Also purple is my favorite calah.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:04 AM
so exciting!

Alternate title for this thread: Krysten Ritter apprehensively walks down hallways.

The creepiness factor of The Purple Fella drops considerably once he actually starts showing up on screen, tbh. Like, when you're just catching glimpses of him haunted Jessica, or seeing his effects, it's creepy. But once you see david Tennant's goofy face, it just sort of loses the effect.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 AM
i musnt run away

Ok, so I was getting serious Ex-Girlfriend vibes from Trish when Jessica went to see her and thought "Oh cool, bisexual main character" but because I can't stand the thought of watching the whole season only to have my hopes dashed I did some low-level googling and learned they are only friends? This makes me sad.

I mean I'll still watch it. But you know.
Old 11-21-2015, 12:36 PM
so exciting!

I'm only on episode 5, but Attorney's Marriage Drama seems so... tacked on? Like, I assume it will pay-off (and probably traumatically so), but it feels disconnected from the rest of the show. I
Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 AM
so exciting!

(This has spoilers all the way through, like, the end of the series. Well, not really the end, but it's pretty late in and I can't remember the exact episode so don't read it until you watch all of the show)

There's a bizarre tonal shift in this series, at the beginning it's like Jessica is having panic attacks and is literally haunted by the purple man, then she freaks out when she comes face to face with him, but then in the house episode she seems perfectly fine to verbally spare with him, and it just feels like this really quick turn around time for that. Like, the whole house sequence seemed to be a huge violation of Jessica's self, since the street names thing was her only refuge when she was panicking, and he effectively took that away from her, and she just sort of rolls with it in a more composed way than she had been during the whole series.

The guy who lost his coat needs to chill. I can understand the guy who was the driver who lost custody of his son getting riled up and wanting (misguided) revenge on Jessica, but it's just like... dude, there's no way you should be that mad about things.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:41 AM

Jessica Jones seems to be tapping into rape survivor trauma, metaphorically and literally. So it's Veronica Mars with superpowers and noir stylistics?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:48 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

It's because (bigtime series spoilers)she's in control of her own actions. She goes there of her own free will, and, even though she doesn't know it right away, he can't control her anymore. I think that she also works through some stuff just from being in the house. Regardless, starting at that point she has more control over herself.

I finished up the series last night. Overall I think I liked it more than Daredevil. There are a few parts that are way too disturbing for my tastes, but the world & characters felt more fleshed out. Oh, and Killgrave is easily the best and scariest villain in the MCU. I'm looking forward to Luke Cage's show.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:06 AM
Senhor Member

Finding it very relatable how every secondary character is being driven insane by Jessica not. just. killing. Kilgrave. already.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM
Senhor Member

I don't know how anyone could watch this show and think it could be improved with more/substantive references to the MCU. It's a fair criticism to say it doesn't make sense that people are so skeptical of a mind-controller or no one contacts some super-group about him. To fix that, I'd prefer that this show be in its own universe than have more Daredevil.

Almost done! This is better than Daredevil. (which was not good) (this is good)
Old 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by that article, talking about this show
and an absolutely sublime performance by David Tennant as the evil-yet-weirdly-sympathetic Killgrave.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Random Struggler

This show is THE TITS! Wowholyshitgoodacting David Tennant really carries this season through and through. I think it's better than the first season of Daredevil based on his acting alone. I liked Jessica well enough but I'm kind of worried about season 2 if he doesn't come back. Which...based on how grounded the series is, I'm not sure; but also if they're staying true to the character...will definitely be back. What an insane ball of awesomeness that dude is, holy shit. Cool seeing Cage and Jones in action together but mostly it is ALL about DAT PURPLE MAN DOE. The last episode and the cameo and the 'actual purple man' really brought it full circle and solidified this season for me though. Can't wait to see where they go with this trio of heroes they're doing with the whole Netflix deal. This is without a doubt the best thing Netflix has done (and arguably Marvel) so I'm guessing this is going to expand quite a bit by the time they're done setting up the 'team'.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Jingle Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
Well, I mean, the guy can't even talk sarcastically without being taken seriously.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:17 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by TioJorge View Post
Can't wait to see where they go with this trio of heroes they're doing with the whole Netflix deal.
Iron Fist is also getting his own Netflix show, so there's four heroes.

Tags
jejo's bizarre adventure , jessicaaaaa! , marvel cinematic universe