The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 05-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Orb Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
Vision would require Hank Pym, and then also require Ultron. All that when Ant-Man isn't even filming yet. I guess you could have Tony Stark build him but... nah. Given how accurate these flicks have been about most stuff, that's a step too far.
A friend pointed out to me that at one point during the movie Stark and folks were talking about (or at least had stuff going on in the background related to) super-advanced cybernetics stuff. If they can make Nick Fury black and not a hundred years old, they can have a slightly different origin for Vision.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Just to chime in with the outsider perspective: is that getting a little obscure? I make no claims to be even slightly up on Marvel continuity and rarely actually read super-hero comics, but I at least had passing knowledge of everyone in movie Avengers so far. (I didn't really know anything *about* Hawkeye and Black Widow, but I'd at least heard of them.)

I'm just sayin' I have no clue who this Vision person is, and I bet a lot of the Avengers movie-going audience doesn't either. Not to rain on the fan-spec parade or anything. (OTOH, it's not like I'd ever heard of Whiplash before Iron Man 2 either, so who knows.)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
One fan theory/wishful thinking dream I've heard circling 'round: Phil could come back as the Vision.
And I hope to God it doesn't happen, because that would be missing the point of the character by so much it's on another timezone. Now, the Valhalla idea? If he didn't miraculously survive, that would be awesome and an excellent sendoff to the character. I can even see him enjoying (in his patient, slightly exasperated sort of way) babysitting all those dead heroes because he already loved his job where he did just that.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

Do the glorious dead become einjerhar in the marvel universe?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:02 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Do the glorious dead become einjerhar in the marvel universe?
I'm pretty sure NO because the Asgardians are alien beings that the Vikings etc. based their religion on. This would seem especially out of step for the filmic continuity since we've been told from the get-go that the Asgardians do their stuff via High Science.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM
d.o_o.b

So, Coulson is that dude that was going to torture Thor in his movie, and was pretty much just like an advertisement for The Avengers in all the other Marvel movies, right?

People liked him?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
'SUP NERDS.

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I'm down with anybody who's gonna torture Thor.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 AM
It's dog eat dog

Pronouns: he/him

He plays a pretty awesome serial killer on The Shield though.

TELEVISION
Old 05-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Find Your Reason

I fail to see how letting Thor get to Myew Myew, capturing him without excessive force, calmly and reasonably interrogating him, and letting him go to see what he'd do next, counts as "going to torture him." Even when he threatens Thor about making him talk, that's a stock phrase in interrogations, and presumably would've led to handing him off to SHIELD, which is still fairly reasonable and probably part of standard procedure.

And he was such a bit character in the other films it was Fury who was the better Avengers advertisement
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Pronouns: He / him

Just been to see this. It was pretty good! Although, all I can think right now is "Blimey, did Loki really call Black Widow a 'mewling quim'?"

I suspect they just thought "quim" was some archaism for "wuss" and didn't bother to look it up...
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Mueller-mas

After seeing this movie, Phil's distressed kicked puppy dog reaction to Tony using Captain America's shield in his science contraption in Iron Man 2 makes a whole lot more sense.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Mr. Jackpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klatrymadon View Post
Just been to see this. It was pretty good! Although, all I can think right now is "Blimey, did Loki really call Black Widow a 'mewling quim'?"

I suspect they just thought "quim" was some archaism for "wuss" and didn't bother to look it up...
Whedon knows what quim means. The point is he knows other people don't.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 AM
120 Days

Loki meant to humiliate her, he thought he was in control.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:22 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:

Whedon knew exactly what the word meant; he's apparently mentioned that he's particularly proud of getting it past the censors.

This bothers me in the same way as using "witch" to mean "bitch" does. If you don't have the guts to say the naughtier word, don't make us think it with a sanitized replacement. It shows the same level of maturity as an internet poster replacing vowels with asterisks. You still invoked the word.

Also, if "cunt" has no business in a mainstream superhero movie, using an obscure synonym isn't any more acceptable or appropriate.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

Mmm. As an insult, "quim" drips exactly the same kind of misogyny as "cunt". It may suit the character, and it may have been playfully chosen, but it's still pretty damned dodgy.

At least Hulk ragdolled him all over the place...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:42 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

I thought Loki was an awesome villain in the movie, he was my favorite character, but they kept making a joke out of him. I am disappoint.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Frightful Hobgoblin

He was ten times better than he was in Thor, aye!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
I thought Loki was an awesome villain in the movie, he was my favorite character, but they kept making a joke out of him. I am disappoint.
Those quims!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
Whedon knew exactly what the word meant; he's apparently mentioned that he's particularly proud of getting it past the censors.

This bothers me in the same way as using "witch" to mean "bitch" does. If you don't have the guts to say the naughtier word, don't make us think it with a sanitized replacement. It shows the same level of maturity as an internet poster replacing vowels with asterisks. You still invoked the word.

Also, if "cunt" has no business in a mainstream superhero movie, using an obscure synonym isn't any more acceptable or appropriate.
This argument only holds water if you think that Whedon feels that "cunt" shouldn't be used in a mainstream movie. I doubt he feels that way. However, he is still unable to use the word, since it wouldn't get past the censors. Therefore he used a different word, which is unfamiliar to American audiences but still suits the character fine and has the same meaning. I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 AM
What Time Is It?

Quote:

I think me and the girl I saw the movie with went "Woah, awesome!" at the same time after he said that.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I finally saw this! I even shelled out for the IMAX 3-D, which was utterly ruined when some lady in my row decided to get up and scoot past me and my row of friends no less than six times. And some kid was kicking the back of my seat.

But anyway, I adored this movie. I'm going to see it again in a couple weeks, in the regular theater this time. :D
Old 07-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Way late to the party, but I wanted to ask: Isn't box-office inflation a crazy thing? On one hand, Spielberg's never made a movie that's made over $1 billion in unadjusted dollars, while relatively indie, eccentric or (in Michael Bay's case) hackish directors like Joss Whedon, Chris Nolan, Michael Bay, Gore Verbinsky, David Yates, Tim Burton and Lee Unkrich have made a $1 billion earner. On the other hand, Spielberg's E.T. has made vastly more inflation-adjusted dollars than any of those other directors' movies. Admittedly, many of those lesser-known directors were working on franchise movies, but still, numbers are crazy things.

Last edited by Vega; 07-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Oh hey, speaking of bumped Avengers thread..

This is way longer than fifteen minutes, but oh well.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:34 PM
We just don't know.

SO, this movie finally came out in Japan last month, and my friends finally got back from vacation, so I've FINALLY seen the Avengers!

It was good! Much better than Capt. America, Thor, or Hulk's stand-alone movies, or Iron Man 2 (which I can barely remember). The Hulk was great, especially for that scene. Tony Stark was great! I even liked Hawkeye in it!

Although Phil dying was pretty blatant. Even his dying words were just him saying "the screenplay made them angry at each other, so we needed a character to die to give them a reason to work together." Subtle, guys. Real subtle.

Not even saying it bothered me, just stood out. I just shut off most of my critical faculties and enjoyed the ride, and what a ride it was! A++ would watch again.

Also 3D was kind of just there. I was never really glad they had it... but then again, when have I ever been?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 AM
King Of Space-Time

I'mma just link this here and back away...
Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 AM
Current Objective:Survive

Most big action movies lately have been very hard on my brain cells. I sometimes think I can hear their death rattles after some especially bad line of dialogue THE DARK KNIGHT or a scene that just made no sense.

What a surprise to find that The Avengers was actually pretty good! I guess we have Whedon to thank for that? It is very much an action movie, but it's also pretty coherent and funny and I cared about the characters. Really enjoyed it, should have seen it sooner, will probably watch again soonish, HULK SMASH was great (plus I had the benefit of subtitles so I could see what he said), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
The non-nerds were all "huh? what the fuck is that" and the nerds were all OH SHIT PURPLE PEOPLE EATER.
That took about half a second to register. Luckily(?), I did read the Infinity War series - which is where a lot of my knowledge about Marvel characters comes from - during my brief comic books phase. I was almost not a nerd! Can't say I can place that Other dude, though.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Whedon knows what quim means. The point is he knows other people don't.
Namely the censors. He used to do it all the time on Buffy and Angel. He certainly used "wanker" on Angel, although they may also have been a joke aimed at the composer, a Thomas Wanker.

It kind of shows the oddness of words, though. If people have to be told what the word means because it's so utterly obscure, is it really as offensive as the word it replaces? See also "Berk".

I finally saw it a few months back. A truly great film. When I watched that dreadful Captain America film in the 90s I could never have hoped to have got a film this good with Cap in it.

Tags
marvel , marvel cinematic universe , movies