The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 PM
Senhor Member

Went out to lunch and someone took over my gym, so I took it right back on the way home. I feel like an asshole. I know I’m annoyed whenever anyone kicks out my mon cause they’re coming for my fake pokémoney. (what do I want to use it for? unclear, but it’s there) This was a red gym, too! As a Team Yellow person, I feel like we should really leave each other alone... I’m not saying I will.

Actually, I have a ton healing items stored up because I don’t think I ever battled in 2016. It’s probably not that profitable for me to take over gyms, if at all. I’m getting better at dodging things, I guess. But at what cost? Nationalize Niantic; freely redistribute all pokémon art assets and large numbers.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:05 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Kick Team Valour out of all the gyms. That's the game.

Don't do it right before midnight, don't put terrible pokemon in somebody else's gym. Those are the only two things I'd class as rude.

Spend the coins on incubators and storage, nothing else is really important. Lucky eggs can be good if popped before somebody goes to Ultra / Best friend I guess.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:10 PM
Senhor Member

Why not right before midnight?
Old 12-05-2018, 01:15 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

That's how you get Gremlins!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:41 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
Why not right before midnight?
Serious answer: regardless of what you do you can only get 50 coins a day. Hold a gym for three years? 50 coins. Ten gyms held for days fall in the same day? 50 coins. If you take the gym over at 00:01 the victim gets whatever they deserve for holding it that long. 23:59 they'll get what's left out of the cap. Generally you're effectively robbing them of 50 coins.

There's no rule or anything, but there's consensus in my local pokémon chat it's a bit of a dickish thing to do.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:02 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I tend to take my gyms at 2am, then they get taken back when morning hits.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Yeah there's no hard and fast etiquette but it's nice to let everyone get their coins if it's convenient. Don't worry about it too much though.

(But team Valor is good, actually.)
Old 12-05-2018, 10:02 PM
That Pokemon Guy

It works out for me because I'm out and about at 2am, and people aren't usually feeding berries to stop you from taking a gym. Though with winter chill I don't strut around town nearly as much as I did. I do luck out since there's a Gym literally right outside my front door though.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Senhor Member

Well, I’ve hit my item limit and don’t have enough money to upgrade my storage. What is the class of items I should throw away completely? I have never been using berries. I accidentally wasted all my stardust upgrading a pidgeot yesterday. (why not? had to clean up the pokeinventory) I don’t know what I’ll miss. Good bye, nanab berries?

I do have a ton of pokeballs which I guess I could use for Meltan hunting but that was so boring the one time I tried it before.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 AM
That Pokemon Guy

This is my method:

Step one: check your evolution items, get rid of extras if you're not planning to evolve in bulk. No need to keep 6 King's Rocks if you're only going to evolve one Slowking and Politoed.

Two: Excess Lucky Egg, Incense, and Star Pieces? If you're out walking around, use these. Free up a little space and catch some more stuff? I have a bad habit of saying "Oh, I'll save them for later", and they're rare enough not to toss, but hey, use them!

Three: Berries. I rarely use Nanab berries to catch Pokemon, but I do use them up in gyms. If you've got a bunch of Pinap and Razz, though, use them! Ideally Pinap are great to use on Pokemon you need a lot of candies for (And if it's Wailmer, Swablu, or Magikarp, for certain use those Pinaps!) Sometimes I'll hoard a few, but if I need to free up space I'll toss Nanab and then Razz. Never toss a Golden Razz or Silver Pinap, those are better used to catch tough Pokemon (or to feed a pokemon in a Gym to restore full CP)

Four: Potions and Revives. Your level of Gym battling will determine how useful these are. If your level is low you might only be getting Potions and Super Potions, and if that's all you have keep some on hand, but once you get Hypers and Max Potions there's no need to keep Potions and Supers on hand. Heal team members if needed and toss the old ones, but I usually don't worry about hoarding Potions. Revives are useful if you Gym a lot, but you can usually toss them if needed. Max Revives once unlocked are amazing and can make you use a lot less potions.

Five: Balls. Obviously you need some PokeBalls or you aren't catching anything, but if your inventory is full and you've got a lot of balls, even tossing 5 Poke Balls so you can spin a Pokestop can be a good way to get some stronger Balls in return.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 AM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

Keep a couple Nanab berries on hand because there's lots of research quests for "make x nice/great curveball throws in a row" and eliminating one of the variables helps with those.

Stardust does not take up an item slot, but Gifts, Incubators, and Premium Raid Passes all do
Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I throw out Poke balls and Potions first, because any time I spin a stop I can't get anything worse than a Poke ball or a Potion.

Nanab and Razz berries I cash in by feeding at coaligned gyms for 20 stardust each. It's not much, but it's more than trashing them. Pinap I hoard to actually throw at mons I'm trying to catch.

I also have a soft cap on how many of each item I keep, but I've been gym-battlin' enough that I've got a few bag expansions, so the caps are still pretty high. I know that 30 revives is all I'll ever need in a day uncharicteristically full of battling and raiding, so I'll trash Revives and Full Revives down to 30.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 AM
Half-Ninja

Anyone want to be my friend and trade me a bunch of Grimers/Magnemites? My friend code is on the previous page.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:23 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Trading is still local only.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:34 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I tried playing this on my shiny new phone for a bit, but it seems my area doesn't really have much of anything in the way of Pokemon. I saw a couple, but they were like, blocks away from where I am, and given how traffic-heavy my town is I'm not exactly enthusiastic about walking out and about just to see if I can maybe catch a Spearow or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R^2 View Post
Trading is still local only.
This is dumb because mainline Pokemon has had online trading since Gen 4 and good online trading since Gen 6. I really hope Niantic finds a way to allow for it eventually, especially with all the region exclusives out there now.
Old 12-09-2018, 04:07 PM
Senhor Member

Reminds me! Caught a seviper! *Halsey voice* How great.

Anyway. If it were easier to trade, it would be easier to get your fill of this app, which is designed to frustrate and prey upon gambling addicts, like all gacha games. You cannot yet spend infinite amounts of money on cart-based pokémon games, which is but one reason they are better experiences.

Hit 50K w/ that Apple Health synch thing. Wild that they’d otherwise incentivize people to stare at this app for 31 miles! I never saw a big flashy thing giving me a prize after the first one. Did I get a prize? Are there prizes?
Old 12-09-2018, 04:20 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
This is dumb because mainline Pokemon has had online trading since Gen 4 and good online trading since Gen 6. I really hope Niantic finds a way to allow for it eventually, especially with all the region exclusives out there now.
It's not dumb though. The whole point of Pokémon Go is to get you outside and to make friends. Which against my initial resistance it's managed to do for me - there are some vibrant groups here from literally every background, all united by their love of pokémon. It was always part of Pokémon's design, and I love Go for actually going for it. It fundamentally *gets* pokémon's original intention.

It would be easy to allow people to trade from wherever, but wouldn't it be nicer to meet people from across the world and have something in common?
Old 12-09-2018, 05:05 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
It's not dumb though. The whole point of Pokémon Go is to get you outside and to make friends. Which against my initial resistance it's managed to do for me - there are some vibrant groups here from literally every background, all united by their love of pokémon. It was always part of Pokémon's design, and I love Go for actually going for it. It fundamentally *gets* pokémon's original intention.

It would be easy to allow people to trade from wherever, but wouldn't it be nicer to meet people from across the world and have something in common?
I get that's the intent, that's why Gens 4 and 5 had so much local wireless stuff even though they supported online trading. It's just that real life doesn't always work out that way and it's a lot easier to find people into the same game as you online than in person.

Like, charge a premium for online trading if you must (I've heard local trading has or had a steep fee), but it'd still be a very welcome option to have for people interested in getting specific monsters or filling their dex.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:52 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Local trading's cost is determined by how good of friends you are. Which is a time grind.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:58 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

I got mew today. I think it's the second or third pokemon I've caught in AR mode, maybe? My phone when I started playing this game couldn't even do AR, so I dunno what I would have done if I was still using it when this quest came up.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

The thing about the hoops for trading, both the in-person requirement and the friendship-based costs, is in addition to getting real people together they're designed to prevent the abuse case where people could collect rare/powerful 'mon by spoofing or otherwise cheating and then sell them for real money. You can't prevent cheating entirely but they've done a pretty good job of keeping it infeasible to make it financially lucrative.

Pizzarino - AdventureSync rewards always kick in on Monday at 9am.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:00 PM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Sure, but they also made it infeasible to have fun with the game.

In only somewhat related news, my second weekly reward for "grab bag of legendaries" month is... a Raikou. Like I got on the first week.

At least I got my damn Sinnoh Stone this time.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:02 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I too got a Raikou, which is nice because they stopped doing Raikou like the day before my very first Research Breakthrough
Old 12-10-2018, 07:21 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I tried playing this on my shiny new phone for a bit, but it seems my area doesn't really have much of anything in the way of Pokemon. I saw a couple, but they were like, blocks away from where I am, and given how traffic-heavy my town is I'm not exactly enthusiastic about walking out and about just to see if I can maybe catch a Spearow or whatever.
You have to be close to spin the pokestops, but if you can see a pokemon on your screen you can battle it by touching it.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

I think he means the radar pointed out Pokemon that were a few blocks away and not worth the walk or risk of death in traffic to get.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:12 AM
Senhor Member

I just can’t see how duplicating rare, desirable pokémon and buying/selling them is more abusive then including multiple streak mechanics to keep people hooked and trying to do shit in your game every day no matter how inconvenient and selling red pokeballs for actual currency. Anyway, I’m gonna see what I get from this research and then I swear... I’m out...
Old 12-10-2018, 09:26 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Never buy pokeballs. Seriously.

You only have to catch one pokemon and spin one pokemon a day to keep up your streak. Research tasks aren't streaks, you can do them whenever. Compared to most other mobile games I've played the level of participation required is really light.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Senhor Member

I don’t buy pokeballs. (I did in 2016 because I’m an addict) Ideally, no one would, and you could only spend a finite amount of money on this game. I work long days and making time to hit spinning wheels has been an unwelcome invonvenience. Just one poster’s experience~
Old 12-10-2018, 10:52 AM
Come, noble knights!

Okay, it looks like I just had bad luck the other day. Today I caught a Treecko from my room, and checking a li'l "Where Pokémon Is" tag I didn't notice before revealed that there are Pokémon I can catch a block or two away in places where I don't have to deal with heavy traffic.

I'll try this game out some more.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Keep in mind the 'Pokemon nearby' thing doesn't show you EVERY Pokemon. but as you do that one or two block walk you'll probably see other stuff.

Tags
android , augmented reality , chafing , go away pidgey , go outside , go poke go , ios , poke a mango , poke be good , pokemon , pokemon go , pokemon-a-go-go , pokepocalypse , pokescreen gaming , stored in the balls