The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-02-2016, 04:04 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thraeg View Post
I don't have the patience to reroll endlessly for a perfect start, but could see doing it once or twice for a decent one. Would I be right in thinking that a first batch of characters that has nobody above 3 stars and none of the characters in the top two tiers of desirability on that reddit guide is below average? I do have three from the third tier (Cyan, Vivi, and Krile).
That's WAY better than what I got; I have none from the top two tiers, and only Cyan from the third. Cyan is fantastic; paralyze is OP. I'm not too worried about it, whatever you draw in the first batch will likely tide you over until future draws. I don't think anybody has a great idea exactly how big an advantage you'll get by rerolling, but I've been doing fine so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
I've expanded my Materials storage twice already. I have no idea what's useful and what I should be selling. Putting such a low cap when there's no indication of how to manage it is pretty poor design.
I've expanded it something like 5 or 6 times, and haven't been selling anything (or crafting anything so far, for that matter). Never know what you'll need in the future, and extra slots are cheap. I also went ahead and got 125 friend slots.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:51 PM

Paul, go to google payments and change the country setting there. Might not change the play store for you, though. What I did was, I downloaded an apk installer app, then manually downloaded the global apk. Then in security settings you need to enable installation of apps from unknown sources, and apk installer does the rest.

I did that for this game and FFRK global, and it works for me. Since this game is freemium I don't really think it's bad. And dear god the game's more tolerable in english.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Good Bee

Reached the end of the current story content. For anyone who's curious what to expect, I did almost no Vortex grinding and few side quests, so you can expect to be around rank 18 and level 30 by the time you finish, to give you an idea of how much you have left. It got pretty tough for me towards the end, but you can adjust those numbers up or down depending on how good your party is.

There are still a million quests and exploration missions I have left to complete, but that should give you an idea on how long it takes to clear the current story content if that's all you're interested in.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:20 PM
New Games Member

Hey squids, my code is 690,749,204. Game looks interesting so far, but I also feel kinda overwhelmed...
Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayma View Post
Hey squids, my code is 690,749,204. Game looks interesting so far, but I also feel kinda overwhelmed...
Added (in game and to the top post). It seems overwhelming at first, but it's hard to shoot yourself in the foot this early on in the game. Just spend your tickets on a team of 5 3* or higher characters (ideally including somebody who can heal, but you can pick up a decent healer as a guaranteed drop later on in the story) then play through story mode like a normal RPG, you can ignore pretty much everything you don't understand (specifically, every single drop and crafting thing currently in the game) for the time being.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:13 AM

I think my favorite feature is being able to teleport to the quest give when your in a town with a completed quest. It's like they knew how many hours I spent running around trying to find quest givers in Xenoblade and decided to take pity.

Also, I've been trying to run crafts when I have the mats, simply to get materials for the keys which occasionally pop out. I'm sure it's not necessary, but I figure it can't hurt.

Other than that, I assume I'm approaching the end, my only frustration has been with the extreme randomness of the encounters. The 3x grenade packs I ran into were not friendly, given that I couldn't quite take out one in a single round, especially at the beginning, but there explosion was certain to kill me. The 3x stoning basilisks twice in a run was also not cool. Some of this probably could have been overcome with more item use, but I've been stingy with gold for reasons that escape me.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:51 AM

I've got Galuf as my only 4* or better guy. Made it to Grandshelt castle before I spent rare summon tickets and that was where it got pretty hard for me. Probably the solution is grinding levels in the EXP vortex if necessary.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:59 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banach View Post
Other than that, I assume I'm approaching the end, my only frustration has been with the extreme randomness of the encounters. The 3x grenade packs I ran into were not friendly, given that I couldn't quite take out one in a single round, especially at the beginning, but there explosion was certain to kill me. The 3x stoning basilisks twice in a run was also not cool. Some of this probably could have been overcome with more item use, but I've been stingy with gold for reasons that escape me.
Yeah, I can definitely see how having a balanced set of abilities on all your leveled characters is crucial. Bombs, for example, can't self destruct if they're paralyzed. (Paralyze is awesome.) I'd just leave them for last, plink away at them until paralyze hit, then finish them off. I'd also spam limit breaks to kill them quickly if they were up (limit breaks recharge very quickly in this game). I think there's a threshold at which they self destruct (50%?) so you could just get them as close to the threshold as you could without going over, then hopefully finish them off in one turn.

And you really don't need to be stingy with gold. If it ever does become an issue, remember all those friend points we're swimming in? Skim a couple off the top to summon a 1* rando, level a group of them to max (15) in a run in the vortex, then sell them each for 3-4k, easy.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:34 AM

So yeah, here's my solution to difficulty barriers.

Every day you can open one vortex for free. I choose EXP and kill the stage that takes half my stamina until I'm empty. That's just the IN stage for now, but my team is able to faceroll lots of it. Then again I have 2 sources of aoe magic and 4 sources of fire damage, so element chains clear groups easily. don't even need healing.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

I've got King Giott, Edgar, Rydia, Magitek Terra, Fran and Galuf (also a bunch of dorks and also Krile, who, too, is a dork) how am I to choose only five?

Also, I'm not actually sure where my friend code is as much of this games menus and options are inscrutable.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I've got King Giott, Edgar, Rydia, Magitek Terra, Fran and Galuf (also a bunch of dorks and also Krile, who, too, is a dork) how am I to choose only five?

Also, I'm not actually sure where my friend code is as much of this games menus and options are inscrutable.
Home -> Menu -> Player Info -> it's in the ID on the upper right of your player window, right beneath your Rank.

Magitek Terra is okay for a freebie, better than almost any 1*-2*, but outclassed by almost anything you can draw with Lapis or Summon Tickets. Aside from that, I'm not familiar with everyone you listed, but try to make sure that you've got someone who eventually learns an AoE heal (Cura) in your party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
So yeah, here's my solution to difficulty barriers.

Every day you can open one vortex for free. I choose EXP and kill the stage that takes half my stamina until I'm empty. That's just the IN stage for now, but my team is able to faceroll lots of it. Then again I have 2 sources of aoe magic and 4 sources of fire damage, so element chains clear groups easily. don't even need healing.
This is good for a couple runs to get a baseline of levels to ease very early story progress (15 or so), and roughly the first third of the story campaign. After that, it's WAY more NRG-efficient to just clear story dungeons (ESPECIALLY exploration dungeons, if you can stay for ~30 battles until the random encounters expire, but also normal story dungeons as well). You gain significantly more EXP (and, crucially, rank EXP) per NRG, and you get a bunch of materials and progress towards better shops/etc. while you're at it.

That's not to say the EXP vortex doesn't have its uses; unlike FFRK, I think maximizing utility per stamina in this game isn't always the best approach. Maybe I've just got a little f2p fatigue (and have my attention divided between this and Clash of Clans), but sometimes I've got full NRG and don't have a bunch of time to spend on a tough exploration or story dungeon. In that case, chewing through the stamina bar in 3 minutes for a paltry sum of EXP or esper materials is better than letting it go to waste entirely.

tl;dr: EXP vortex maximizes utility/real world time, but is terribly inefficient in terms of utility/NRG, you're much better off progressing through the story than you are grinding EXP vortex if you have the time available.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 AM

Yeah, after my game connection errored out while exiting a 15 minute exploration session, I decided to get some vortex XP. It's definitely not the most efficient, but the advanced one is not that bad on a pure XP front (it's really bad for rank XP and getting materials at the same time).

Besides, your almost certainly going to want to try and squeeze 3 in a day for the daily quest. Might as well be XP (the others may be better, but at this point in time it doesn't feel like it).
Old 07-03-2016, 11:58 AM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
NRG
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM
Good Bee

This game has a FANTASTIC wiki, by the way, which is fortunate because it's pretty confusing to start out! Reminds me of how awful the FFRK resources were...

Particularly of note is their Beginner's Guide, which is fairly concise and gives you pretty much everything you need to know from the moment you start to when you finish the current story and beyond.

Also, one slightly annoying thing in this game is the combination of an awkward touchpad movement system and dozens of hidden paths in every town and exploration level hiding some great (but not essential, don't get too worried) loot, encouraging you to struggle to mash your head against every surface in the game. Fortunately, the wiki has excellent maps showing every hidden path, quest giver, and chest in the game. Even more fortunately, the maps (and entire wiki) work just fine in your phone browser. Most of this can be ignored on your first run through the game. I would suggest looking up the espers, especially Ifrit; 3 out of 4 of them are easily missable unless you're paying very close attention to NPC dialogue, and equipping espers gives you significant stat boosts and abilities. IIRC, Ifrit gives significantly more ATK/DEF than Siren, a significantly stronger damaging AoE (without the chance to sleep, oh well), and Deprotect.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:06 PM
oh my car

I spent my other five giveaway tix, pulled a five-star Bartz, and then duplicates of a bunch of jerks I don't care about. I combined the duplicates, giving them a bunch of levels, and then swapped out the main characters for some more useful-looking originals the character.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:23 PM
does the Underpants Dance

When does the timer reset for being able to send out Friend Gifts?
Old 07-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Mad Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by krelbel View Post
That's WAY better than what I got; I have none from the top two tiers, and only Cyan from the third. Cyan is fantastic; paralyze is OP. I'm not too worried about it, whatever you draw in the first batch will likely tide you over until future draws. I don't think anybody has a great idea exactly how big an advantage you'll get by rerolling, but I've been doing fine .
Thanks, guess I'll keep what I have then. I'm pretty happy with the SNES-heavy weighting of what I got, and that wiki you linked ranks several of mine in the #10-20 range, so maybe they're better than I thought going by the thing on reddit.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:20 PM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

In order to be my best buddy, please input the following number into you iDevice!

Old 07-03-2016, 05:25 PM

And that appears to be the end of the story for the time being. Glad I bought some Hi-potions for that final encounter, pretty sure I wasn't coming out of it alive without them (he might have been vulnerable to a status aliment, but he was certainly resisting everything I tossed at him).

Next up, grab espers and work on leveling and evolving characters. Also, I've got about a million quests I can work on, and I also need to track down all of these Earth Keys, some of which give some pretty nice stuff. I think tomorrow I'll unlock the materials dungeon, in an attempt to farm some of the 3*->4* upgrade items.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:50 PM
Good Bee

Quote:
And that appears to be the end of the story for the time being. Glad I bought some Hi-potions for that final encounter, pretty sure I wasn't coming out of it alive without them (he might have been vulnerable to a status aliment, but he was certainly resisting everything I tossed at him).

Next up, grab espers and work on leveling and evolving characters. Also, I've got about a million quests I can work on, and I also need to track down all of these Earth Keys, some of which give some pretty nice stuff. I think tomorrow I'll unlock the materials dungeon, in an attempt to farm some of the 3*->4* upgrade items.
Libra's a good ability to craft; the final boss is immune to all ailments IIRC. I think Siren gets Analyze as well, I sent her down the path to grab it.

And yep, I'm in the same boat, but I'm a bit busy so I'm just farming vortex EXP until I have more time to devote to questing.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:59 AM

I'm at rank 11 I think. Just evolved my starter pokemon Rain and took a boat ride. Am I missing something or did they remove the esper materials vortex dungeon? And spoiler-ish questions:
Do you have to put the chest keys in your item list with potions and stuff to use them?
Have I missed any espers yet? Last new place I went to is the port town after you take the ship and get Fina.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I'm at rank 11 I think. Just evolved my starter pokemon Rain and took a boat ride. Am I missing something or did they remove the esper materials vortex dungeon? And spoiler-ish questions:
Do you have to put the chest keys in your item list with potions and stuff to use them?
Have I missed any espers yet? Last new place I went to is the port town after you take the ship and get Fina.
Esper materials was a bonus this weekend, the new bonus has now started so it's gone.

1. Earth Keys are used at the Vault in the Grandshelt capital, which is unlocked after doing a quest found in that zone to look for a pendant. The other chest keys are either bought with Lapis or crafted, and should be used sparingly, as I understand. I haven't actually purchased any yet.

2. By that point, you should have Siren, who you can't miss Ifrit, who you get from a town pointer in Lodin and Golem, who you get from thorough exploration of the desert zone (Zadahl). Intentionally avoiding detailed explanation there unless you want that.

Also, regarding earlier discussion. We have now officially started our first friend point campaign, and the friend point machine is now spitting out XP boosters and gil turtles, in addition to the normal friends, which now have a bonus chance of extra XP. I'm sure they'll be better events down the road, but this lasts a week or two and is a great time to spend friend points, in my opinion.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I do like that they tried to give you exploration sections like a real-ass RPG instead of just a series of menus like FFRK, but slippery controls + rubbing up against every wall to find the hidden paths + random encounters = uugggghhhhhh
yeah, its kind of missing the point of why i would choose to play a mobile f2p rpg. i'm looking for something streamlined and to the point.

i skipped out on record keeper so im not too sure how it compares, but based off the hour or so i spent on that i like this more.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

I'm 027,689,277. I already sent a request to everyone listed in the first post (except krelbel - it said you had reached the limit for friend requests)
Old 07-04-2016, 09:31 PM

Just had a clutch fight against the white dragon to pick up my Murasame. I don't know that he's possible at my levels without poison and paralyze, but if you rolled much at all you may have those. In my case, my level 1 Cyan provided the paralyze, and Edgar's Bio Blaster provided the poison.

Still took me three attempts, but it costs no energy, so why not. On my win, he broke paralyze and came out of poison at about 10% health, and wiped out everyone but Exdeath and Kain on his turn (Exdeath had single digit health left). Fortunately, Exdeath's limit break confused him, and he dealt 3kish to himself before he finished Exdeath, letting Kain land his last jump and win. So it was gimmicky as hell, but still a lot of fun.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:03 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Just had a clutch fight against the white dragon to pick up my Murasame. I don't know that he's possible at my levels without poison and paralyze, but if you rolled much at all you may have those. In my case, my level 1 Cyan provided the paralyze, and Edgar's Bio Blaster provided the poison.

Still took me three attempts, but it costs no energy, so why not. On my win, he broke paralyze and came out of poison at about 10% health, and wiped out everyone but Exdeath and Kain on his turn (Exdeath had single digit health left). Fortunately, Exdeath's limit break confused him, and he dealt 3kish to himself before he finished Exdeath, letting Kain land his last jump and win. So it was gimmicky as hell, but still a lot of fun.
I gave it a dozen tries (thank god it doesn't require NRG), and it's rough. Usually he'll just kill you before either Poison or Paralyze land. In maybe 1 out of 6 battles when they both land, everything I've got is only enough to get him down to around 40% HP by the time paralyze wears off (Galuf is garbage and I need to replace him ASAP...) Full 4* team here, though Kain and Cyan awakened from 3* yesterday so I've only gotten enough EXP from today's vortex grind to get them back up to 30 (Galuf, red mage, and Rydia are both low 40s). Then the same thing happens every time; the red mage can't come anywhere remotely close to keeping up with the heals (assuming a double maelstrom doesn't just one-shot him), Cyan and Rydia can't get off another paralyze or poison (the resists go up significantly after one application, though I didn't want to waste the turn casting libra to verify exactly how much), and no amount of Kain jumping can turn it around. My party is awful! My best attempt got him heartbreakingly close though, around 3%, so a little more grinding and a dozen-ish more tries will hopefully do it.

EDIT: I hear Silence helps a lot, since almost all of White Dragon's damage is from spells. Wonder if I have anyone who learns it...
Old 07-05-2016, 07:15 AM

So I've got Cyan on my bench. Then I tried krel's Cyan. Yeah, goodbye 3* Biggs turbo, I've got a new mainstay.

Still lacking heals except for Rydia's cure spell from Siren, but I made a fire spell for Rydia and now my team can chain fire damage on 4 members. That's usually overkill on anything not resistant to fire.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:04 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

I fed an Edgar to another Edgar and it made the first Edgar trust me more. Seems legit.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:31 AM
gatchapon 3*

i started playing this too! i dont know how to do anything yet.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:44 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Also, regarding earlier discussion. We have now officially started our first friend point campaign, and the friend point machine is now spitting out XP boosters and gil turtles, in addition to the normal friends, which now have a bonus chance of extra XP. I'm sure they'll be better events down the road, but this lasts a week or two and is a great time to spend friend points, in my opinion.
Boy, you're not wrong. I'm glad I unlocked 130 friend slots; I got 120 free summons out of just the last week or so of friend points, which included enough XP cactuars to feed to my Kain and Cyan to get them all caught up in levels (from 30 to 40) (along with about 40k gil to spare), would have taken several more days of XP farming to get that much XP. I also sprung for the $0.99 Esper materials purchase, as that's several days of material farming right there, a pretty good deal. Gave me enough materials to get Silence on my Siren esper. That gave me the edge I needed to finally beat White Dragon, though I can definitely see it being easier at a lower level (maybe with multiple characters who can paralyze and poison, something to keep in mind).

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakman View Post
I'm 027,689,277. I already sent a request to everyone listed in the first post (except krelbel - it said you had reached the limit for friend requests)
Added.

Quote:
So I've got Cyan on my bench. Then I tried krel's Cyan. Yeah, goodbye 3* Biggs turbo, I've got a new mainstay.

Still lacking heals except for Rydia's cure spell from Siren, but I made a fire spell for Rydia and now my team can chain fire damage on 4 members. That's usually overkill on anything not resistant to fire.
Biggs isn't entirely useless, his Bio Blaster makes him more useful than the other freebies, but Cyan is pretty good. He's far from the best, though, most of his raw power just comes from my levels/gear; his long term utility comes mostly from his access to Paralyze. Check out Banach's Exdeath friend if you want to see a real top tier character.

For heals, I finally bit the bullet, ditched Anzelm (red mage) from my leveling party, and started including Fina (the 2* white mage who is the third Actual Plot character after Rain and Lasswell, you recruit her about halfway through the game) in my leveling party. It takes a while, but she becomes a very respectable primary healer later on. Her good stats and access to Cura (stronger than Cure, and full party) will be a huge boost to your party. In retrospect, I highly recommend including her in your main party as soon as you unlock her, unless you have a better primary healer already.

Tags
actually not terrible , actually terrible? , final fantasy , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge