The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 07-26-2018, 03:02 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Keeper's Tome + Wall is the best JS combo you can ask for. Used that hundreds of times farming Dark Orbs back in the JS torments.

This D280 fight really further cements my dislike of the dual elemental spell-blades. Better to wait for 5 hit single elements.

Center character isn't blinded (or if they eventually are Krile OSBed us past it), and slot 4 and 5 blinds can be avoided with good DPS timing.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM
Chaotic Good

Two pulls got me: Krile LMR, Faris BSB2, Lenna BSB + LMR, Galuf LMR.

I can now run Krile LMR+LMR+CSB, so that's fun.

As much as I would like the Earth chain, I'd really just like to give the damn dagger to Vaan (same as Locke ASB).

I'll just keep ignoring spellblades until Celes USB + ASB on the next fest, I think.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:49 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

I am pull-shy right now, with only 55 Mythril to my name. Doublecast LMR for Krile would be fantastic to pair with her USB and might actually make me dive her... but I already have Bartz USB1 and his new one is more of a sidegrade. Some of the BSBs wouldn't be bad consolations either. But I'll probably skip this one.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:01 PM
Good Bee

3 pulls and I'm broke:

first: bartz glint, second: bartz asb, faris bsb, lenna lmr, third: bartz bsb-wind, bartz glint dupe, krile lmr

Well... faris/lenna are still worthless, krile lmr will be a nice little boost for her since she's CSB-only in my fire mage team (but with CSB only she's mostly on support duty there, so that doesn't matter much).

Bartz... somehow I've ended up with his LMR, BSB-fire, BSB-wind, BSB-earth, BSB-water, Glint, and ASB. Neither USB nor USB2. That... hmm. I don't know if I can make any use of him with that, which is kind of hilarious. LMR+glint+ASB is okay-ish for elements where I have a matching phys chain (water, end of list). No place for him in Cloud keeper (Cloud USB/glint/LMR2, Zack CSB, Relm USB, Shelke, Tyro USB/LMR). Phys fire... he's a marginal upgrade from Locke ASB/BSB2 in my Sora ASB, Locke ASB/BSB2, Shelke, OK pUSB team (basically the same with BSB-fire/ASB, plus LMR). Overall, I don't know if I'll be able to find a place for him at all in any of my teams going forward, which is pretty funny considering how close he is to complete. I'd trade every single one of those relics for either of his USBs...
Old 07-27-2018, 12:10 AM

krelbel. My dude. You have all 4 enelements for Bartz and his ASB to go with them. That's a guaranteed 300k damage on almost anything that isn't 5* Magicite. You don't need chains for your Bartz to be a monster you just need to feed him meter. Maybe not for Wind and Fire necessarily with what you have, but you've gotta be able to fit him in Earth and Water.

Think of it this way: a capped ASB is equivalent to 6 casts of the 5-hit 6* Spellblades. And guess what, you can still dive him and slap the LMR on him for lol RNG times to really build the chains you have.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:26 AM
Chaotic Good

Krelbel Bartz GSB is a mini USB. 20% boost to R4 Spllblade Damage (30% to R5) and TGC cast time for 15s. Entirely self sustaining for up to 45s, though it will drain your gauge a bit (though not as much as your hones). Pair a Dual Element R2 for gauge build with a single Element R4 for damage and go to town.

The only problem is it dosn't speed up your other SB casts since they're not spellblades because SBs are dumb like that.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:29 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
krelbel. My dude. You have all 4 enelements for Bartz and his ASB to go with them. That's a guaranteed 300k damage on almost anything that isn't 5* Magicite. You don't need chains for your Bartz to be a monster you just need to feed him meter. Maybe not for Wind and Fire necessarily with what you have, but you've gotta be able to fit him in Earth and Water.
He does fit pretty well on my phys Water (Tidus CSB/BSB2, Yuffie BSB2, Celes USB/LMR, OK pUSB) and phys Fire (Sora ASB, Locke ASB/BSB2, Shelke, OK pUSB) teams (replacing Celes and Locke), although I probably won't dive him to earn the spots anytime soon. Kinda funny how Celes is now pretty much permanently benched. Wind, obviously no.

Earth... my earth is awkward right now. Was *really* hoping for Galuf CSB from this banner. As is, I've got a smattering of decent earth, but nothing to really pull it all together; the obvious standout is Maria USB, but that alone wasn't enough to get me through Ixion (Ingus BSB2 + Eiko USB cheese was way easier and more reliable than my Maria USB, Rydia BSB, OK mUSB, Shelke party). On the phys side... eh? Ingus BSB2/USB, Yuffie glint, Bartz LMR/glint/bsb-earth/ASB, Celes USB/LMR; that's not nothing, but it's also not going to leave a scratch on 5*.

So yeah, I'm not underestimating the power of BSB-enele+ASB, but from what I hear, it's not nearly enough to earn a place in any 5* team (aside from maybe water, not using the BSB, just LMR+glint for the quick/cheap chain boost into ASB finisher), and none of my 4* teams need the help. From what I hear, the core problem with any BSB-enele+ASB user (compared to the much more popular LMR-enele+ASB combo) in 5* is that you'll never have the extra breathing room to feed your DPS those extra bars.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:36 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Krelbel Bartz GSB is a mini USB. 20% boost to R4 Spllblade Damage (30% to R5) and TGC cast time for 15s. Entirely self sustaining for up to 45s, though it will drain your gauge a bit (though not as much as your hones). Pair a Dual Element R2 for gauge build with a single Element R4 for damage and go to town.

The only problem is it dosn't speed up your other SB casts since they're not spellblades because SBs are dumb like that.
Eh. Bartz GSB without enele... I already have a Yuffie glint I'm never using. Before I drew Celes USB/LMR (and promptly booted Bartz BSB-water from my water team), I remember Bartz barely tickled with his quads even at moderate chain, and 30% more than barely tickling a 4* boss won't do anything to 5*. And sure, GSB into BSB-enele into ASB sounds nice, but he's no Cloud; there's no way he's getting fed anywhere remotely close to enough SB to pull that off.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Chaotic Good

Back of the envelope math is that the GSB is comparable to the USB1 with a R4 5* spellblade at the attack cap or higher.

Numbers all look right to me, at any rate. If anything he's they're overvaluing atk a little because of the way Attack Boon interacts with normal buffs.
Old 07-28-2018, 04:26 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Back of the envelope math is that the GSB is comparable to the USB1 with a R4 5* spellblade at the attack cap or higher.

Numbers all look right to me, at any rate. If anything he's they're overvaluing atk a little because of the way Attack Boon interacts with normal buffs.
I saw that, but that just convinces me further that Bartz without USB1 has no place beyond 4*. According to that math, USB1 gives almost double the chain growth that GSB does, and USB1-carrying chain booster seems like the only reason you'd ever want to bring Bartz since his damage will never come remotely close to matching a proper DPS for any given element.

I mean, Celes dived with USB/LMR is already my weakest DPS in all of my 4* teams, barely worth the slot at all. Sure, Bartz with ASB/GSB/LMR is a slight upgrade from that, but enough to pass in 5*? I guess I'm skeptical about the viability of all of these "jack of all trades, master of none" characters like Bartz, Celes, Edgar in upcoming content, unless you've got ultra whale caliber gear to carry subpar DPS.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:42 PM
Chaotic Good

Can't argue with your logic, Bartz has always fallen into the "Support DPS" category IMHO, just with building chain instead of having a chain or an imperil as his key role. USB2's Exit + ASB are the tools he likely wants for a primary DPS in 5*, mostly to break Savage Modes.

He sees a lot of use in low time clears, but that's just his dumb LMR + S/L combo.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:26 PM
hang high, soft star

So given all of this stuff you've been saying, is this banner worth a pull if I have Jack and Shit for earth stuff?

Also boy the sheer dependence on certain relics at the highest levels is really dulling my enthusiasm, from what you all've been saying.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
So given all of this stuff you've been saying, is this banner worth a pull if I have Jack and Shit for earth stuff?

Also boy the sheer dependence on certain relics at the highest levels is really dulling my enthusiasm, from what you all've been saying.
Well the 2nd banner is pretty stacked for earth stuff, but it's missing the chain from banner 1. The next fest will surely have a great earth banner, but that's still uh, 2 months out at this point.

To address your second point: there's like, 5 different tiers of endgame now at least, and only the toppest of the top depends on hyper specific relics, because of power creep.
Old 07-30-2018, 12:32 AM
Good Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serephine View Post
Yes. It's got three relics on it (Galuf CSB, Bartz USB2, Bartz ASB) any one of which would be fantastic additions to a phys earth team (and Bartz's relics do quadruple duty for wind/water/fire/earth, so in terms of value per mythril spent, his relics are hard to beat). Better earth banners are rare; September fest B3 beats it with Maria ASB, Red XIII CSB, Rinoa USB2, and Maria USB, but that's entirely magic oriented; since you eventually want good phys and mag teams for each element, they're both worth pulling.

Quote:
The overwhelming majority of content does not require such hyper-specialized sets of specific relics; this (D??? neo torment / 5* magicite) is really just whale bait that a few lucky F2P people can bend over backwards to try and scratch before power creep brings it within reach of the masses. You're right to be wary; a trap I've seen a lot of gachas fall into is "99% of content is trivial to f2p, 1% of content is absolutely impossible unless you whale/jackpot" which is a guaranteed recipe for quick gacha exhaustion. FFRK is definitely not that; the power curve has increased gradually over the years, so players catching up can draw powercrept relics and still enjoy several tiers of diverse interesting content that will be challenging but doable (with the right strategy/luck/persistence) before hitting the whale wall.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:41 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

So I guess all it takes to actually get me in one of these gacha things is to have a smaller device to play them on.

Started dabbling with Record Keeper. I'm not addicted enough to spend real money on it,* but it's definitely a neat li'l distraction with some pretty nice pixel art. Pop in for a few, take on a few fights "dungeons," pop out. Already got a number of 7, 10, and 4 characters along with one 14 (the first FF14 stage actually had a bite to it), and when I found that I had an item that would let me pick out any one character I wanted I went right for the Final Fantasy 1 thief 'cuz "Holy shit they made a 16-bit version of ol' blue-hair!"

Seriously, I was very happy to see that FUKT had not been forgotten. Speaking of the original Final Fantasy...

I knew Square Enix could make a sprite that actually resembles the Amano art Warrior of Light if they tried.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:35 AM
Chaotic Good

Red XIII's sprite actually works really well (the dagger attack animation is hilarious, though: originally he was the only character who couldn't use daggers). Yuna's also pretty great, right down to her being dicromatic.

WoL and Yuna would never work with 16 bit color limits, of course.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:43 AM
hang high, soft star

The killer sprite work is honestly one of the things that keeps me around in the game; their house style for representing the not pixel games as pixels is better than Square themselves.

I can't remember the last time I used Red, I should check that out.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:20 AM
Chaotic Good

Oh and while I won’t inundate you with min/maximg for the love of Bahamut don’t pull on the newcommer banners.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:23 AM

I filled out the survey they sent a while back, and my only suggestion was for an FFV Record Dungeon where you get to play as the 4 original Dawn Warriors since they're all in the game: Xezat, Galuf, Kelger, and Dorgann. They could come up with like 4~6 scenario scenes and you fight Exdeath at the end or something.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Chaotic Good

They already have the wall change flashback Exdeath fight and everything.

I asked for job costumes for the III, IV and T casts.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:50 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

I don't think I had any specific ideas, but I asked for record dungeons focused more on less ubiquitous characters.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 PM
Chaotic Good

->
->

My Isgenbind team has 3x doublecasters so it's going to take some RNG fishing to get the time down but a good run should be sub 14.30 (i.e. before his first paralyze since I'm dropping Edge for Ace).

EDIT: Zoidark is likely the hardest fight in the game and will remain so for the next 6+ months. I got D280 down in 45s after it shut me out with a pailing at 25s and then everything went to hell, just Galbranth and Larsa alive at the end. Need to see the AI, expect I can time some OSBs to execute him once I have a better handle on it.

Last edited by Destil; 08-08-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:11 AM
Chaotic Good

Got it.

Pure physical team - Physical Pailing at 25s rocks me, win in 45s barely (auto attacks from Galbranth after he's out of Dire Weapons which were the only thing keeping him alive).

Mixed Team with 2 mages and 1 physical - Antimagic at 25s, which Galbranth just couldn't punch through in time for a 32s clear.

Mixed Team with 1 mage and 2 physical - What's a Pailing/Antimagic?
Old 08-09-2018, 11:52 AM

Damn, nice. What SBs do your Gabranth and Vayne have, again? Still theorycrafting what I should bring to this with what I have and it's not looking good. No USBs, Gabranth has EnDark SSB and Imperil BSB, a dived Ashe BSB/OSB/LMR, and Vaan with some SBs. At least I have Penelo's Medica BSB...
Old 08-09-2018, 12:02 PM
Chaotic Good

Ashe - USB, LMR
Larsa - BSB (curada was unused)
Galbranth - USB, LMR
Vayne - OSB, LMR
OK - BSB, LMR
Magicite - Evrae (Magic Boon 15), Evrae (Hp Boon 5), Hades (Empower Dark 5), Garauda (Empower Lightning 3), Seraph (Dampen Dark 4).

Evrae is necessary to survive some of the last phase attacks.

I've seen people getting wins on Redit using Vayne SSB (available in the AA) to spread instant cast across the party and blow past specific points in the AI.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I've seen people getting wins on Redit using Vayne SSB (available in the AA) to spread instant cast across the party and blow past specific points in the AI.
Ohhh shit that's right, I actually have that SSB from somewhere.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:06 PM

Well my first attempt was 43 seconds, so not too bad. I'm not sure if I can fit Vayne in there to replace Onion Knight since he provides my Dispel and Hastega, but maybe; it's not like Gabranth is burning through my R5 Sanguine Cross anyway so he can probably take Dispel. I'd maybe have to hone even more dark abilities for Vayne to use though.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:47 PM
Come, noble knights!

Still playing this daily. At the very least, I do three dungeons a day: A mix of realms and elites and a record.

Speaking of record dungeons...

Now I really want a pixel art remake of Final Fantasy VII.

Also as much as I love seeing Narshe in all its pixelly goodness on my tablet, I'm sad that this is the closest I'll get to a good-looking Final Fantasy VI on my device outside of SNES emulation. Keep on twisting that dirk, Square Enix!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 PM
Chaotic Good

Except the steam looks way better being an actual 3D animation and not a loop with one too few frames.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:45 PM
Come, noble knights!

Oh believe me, I noticed the new steam animation. Nice li'l touch.

Tags
final fantasy , five dollar horse armor , freemium fantasy , gil toss , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , probability education , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge