The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 11-15-2014, 02:36 AM

A game that was recently picked back up is DBZ from the old score days. It's the same game with more clarified stuff. Now it might just be the old kid in me and a old love, but the card game was actually really good.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:12 PM
MassiveOnlineBunnyArena

I have a friend who is big into that game. He said it's probably his favorite TCG right now (he plays mtg, pokemon and DBZ). If I had some more disposable income to dump into a tcg I'd definitely check it out.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:48 AM
gatchapon 3*

Do fetch lands have color identity?
Old 11-17-2014, 09:08 AM
Oily Butt Thing

As I understand it, no. So you could stick a Scalding Tarn or a Bloodstained Mire in your red/white EDH deck to fish for mountains if you wanted.

Also, we're in the wrong thread. Whoops.

Also also, congrats to local boy Philip Braverman who placed fifth out of like 4200 dudes at GP Jersey.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
A game that was recently picked back up is DBZ from the old score days. It's the same game with more clarified stuff. Now it might just be the old kid in me and a old love, but the card game was actually really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. J View Post
I have a friend who is big into that game. He said it's probably his favorite TCG right now (he plays mtg, pokemon and DBZ). If I had some more disposable income to dump into a tcg I'd definitely check it out.
I had no idea there was a DBZ card game. I might have to check that out.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Be warned that the new DBZ game has fallen victim to its own success and is as far as I can tell impossible to lay hands on right now.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Be warned that the new DBZ game has fallen victim to its own success and is as far as I can tell impossible to lay hands on right now.
There has also been some rumored printing errors since it's unfortunately Panini's first card game. Though the original world champion and the Retro DBZ community seemed to be play-testers and either work for the company or are the official judges from what I can tell. From what I hear from tournament reports this is a world where Captain Ginyu and the Ginyu Force are some of the strongest. Which I have no problem with because...

Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Today I played Dicemasters, which can be best described as a Quarriors CCG (so... a collectible dice game, I guess?). While I'm not sold on all the licenses they have the head-to-head playstyle fixes a lot of the potential issues with Quarriors. There's a lot more trying to figure out what your opponent will do and how they will react to you and a lot less going "Eh, maybe this monster will live long enough to get me points."

The whole pre-deckbuilding facet of it is both a plus and a minus though; I like the idea and can see myself having a ton of fun putting together just the right team to draw dice from, but it does make it harder to play in my small town where pretty much all my gaming is done with one friend who doesn't have the cash to spend on games that I do. I feel kind of awkward just shoving a collection of game bits at him and saying "here, you test this deck for me!", you know? At least with 90% of my other games, we're guaranteed to start off evenly.
Old 01-25-2015, 11:44 AM
gatchapon 3*

Wrong thread, homie
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 PM
TARANTUL

You saw nothing.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:30 PM
Safe Space

I found some packs of the ancient Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG at Toys 'R Us and gave them to my roommate as a gag.

The chase rare was Wesley Crusher.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I found some packs of the ancient Star Trek: The Next Generation CCG at Toys 'R Us and gave them to my roommate as a gag.

The chase rare was Wesley Crusher.
In the early days of that CCG, Wesley Crusher was a very good card!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:43 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Has anyone here heard of the Exodus TCG? It seems to be just getting started right now, and I had a lot of fun playing a game with one of the creators at a con today.

The basic idea is that you have one small deck of creatures and "symmetries" (spells) and a large supply of energy token cards. Each turn you get three energy cards and three cards from your deck. You play your energy in stacks, up to three in one pile, then you can play your creatures on top. A creature's attack and health are equal to the amount of energy it's sitting on; if a 2-energy creature attacks a 1-energy creature, for example, the blocker will be destroyed and the attacker loses an energy. Symmetries can be cast whenever, with a few requiring you to remove an energy from a creature but most of them being totally costless.

The ultimate goal is wiping out your opponent's defenders so you can attack them directly. Players only have ten health, so even just a couple attackers going unblocked can take a big chunk of your HP.

Overall it felt like there was a lot of back and forth in the flow of the game, since each round was a question of whether to spread out my energy for a field of screening weenies or push the attack with some bigger creatures. The entire game took fifteen minutes max despite all the explanations and distractions of playing at a con, so it would make a good game to play to fill in odd corners of time. The starter deck creatures have absolutely no abilities of their own, but the booster pack creatures occasionally do, and some abilities play off a creature's rarity.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:28 PM

Welp they just killed my Force of Will Deck with this next set, time to brew something new.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
Welp they just killed my Force of Will Deck with this next set, time to brew something new.
Sounds to me like you're playing Yu-Gi-Oh.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:57 AM

I guess? I mean it is japanese art, and big numbers, but I still tap my mana to play spells, and I still have my stack so?
Old 09-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Safe Space

I mean the new set making the old set obsolete.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 PM

It's not a whole set, just the one card my deck was based off of. Force of Will has you choose a ruler which is basically what represents you. You can choose to activate it with it's unique activate cost. I was playing red deck win, where you basically need to activate your ruler and just go in. So essentially red deck wins. Swing hard, swing fast, and get in. So some people threw a fit and here we are with them completely nerfing the card by giving every other color an answer to it rather then just one.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:25 PM

Latest force of will set dropped and I bought a box. It's literally my favorite thing to do. Especially when you open a stamped card. Stamped being a new special rarity in the previous set where you get a cool Force of Will name stamp going the side. What's neat about that is it makes the card full arts. FULL ARTS!
Old 10-21-2015, 11:57 AM
McBear

There is an iOS version of the Pokemon TCG, and it seems to capture a lot of the magic that I enjoy of the old GBC game. There's daily challenges, and you earn coins to buy booster packs and theme decks. You can also build your own custom decks too.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM
who's she

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
There is an iOS version of the Pokemon TCG, and it seems to capture a lot of the magic that I enjoy of the old GBC game. There's daily challenges, and you earn coins to buy booster packs and theme decks. You can also build your own custom decks too.
I'm guessing it's an unlicensed knock-off? That could still be worth playing, though. The GBC game is my only Pokemon experience but I had a lot of fun with it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it just wasn't showing up on my phone, presumably because it's too old.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:29 PM

I spent the weekend at my parents' house and dug through many of my old boxes of cards. I had soooo many of the Decipher Trek CCG cards. I really wish I had a regular opponent, because I would absolutely still be playing it if I could.

I rounded up all of the 2e cards I had, since they were few enough to fit into my luggage. But now I'm tempted to go on a collecting binge to finish a few of the 1e sets I hadn't completed (I had complete sets of at least 4 expansions, plus near-ish complete sets of many others)

I also brought home what little I had left of my old Magic cards. I'd long since traded away most of that collection, but I've had an itch to play that lately, too.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:33 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukyn View Post
I rounded up all of the 2e cards I had, since they were few enough to fit into my luggage. But now I'm tempted to go on a collecting binge to finish a few of the 1e sets I hadn't completed (I had complete sets of at least 4 expansions, plus near-ish complete sets of many others)
I'm still missing two 1E cards: Sons of Mogh and James T. Kirk. I really should get around to getting them some day.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:04 AM
ENTp / 8w7

Anybody here have experience with the DC deckbuilding game(s)? My friends and I own the original game and Heroes Unite between us and we've been having a blast with it. We feel that we're acquainted enough with the game to start tinkering with the card/hero pool, and I'm specifically curious if anybody has any house rules about cards/heroes to take out, or just any kind of house rule that they found added an interesting dimension to the game. Any DC deckbuilding fans in here? (and yea i know it's just a worse dominion mechanically, humor me)
Old 09-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Wait, there's a Final Fantasy TCG coming out? Has anyone heard anything about this?
Old 09-16-2016, 08:37 PM

Yes it's pretty fun from the Demo Decls that you can find around. There's gonna be for starters, FF7, 13, 10, and I think 8. Game is kind of interesting goal is to get your 5 damage before someone else.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:06 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

Fantasy Flight is bringing Legend of the Five Rings back as an LCG this month. Does anyone know any details about this new release? Is it going to be the same as the old CCG, just not randomized?

Tags
ccg , magic the gathering , mtg , traditional games