The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 10-10-2017, 07:20 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Am I missing something? How come some of the spirits have icons on their presence tracks of different colors. But my character doesn't?

It doesn't seem like I can do anything without them so I'm not sure how I got about getting purple or orange tokens in order to do the other stuff on my cards.
You get the icons down the side of the power cards you play this turn. Yours are all feather and flame, with one water.

The other spirits get elements on their progression tracks as an always on bonus. Lightning just getsng tons of card plays and a slow ramp of energy that turns into a gigantic fountain.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:22 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Am I missing something? How come some of the spirits have icons on their presence tracks of different colors. But my character doesn't?

It doesn't seem like I can do anything without them so I'm not sure how I got about getting purple or orange tokens in order to do the other stuff on my cards.
Here's a repost of Mogri's card, with an additional highlight on it.

That box to the left indicates what elements you get from a card when you play it. Elements are usually used for your Innate Power, but not for Power Cards.

What's probably confused you is that, since they're shown under the energy cost, you might think that they're an additional cost for the card. But they aren't.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:

I really feel like I missed a post somewhere because everyone seems really clear on this and I'm just scratching my head.

Gerad, if you already got this groked, perhaps you should play instead?
I have no idea what's going on, sorry. You can do it!
Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I guess I will shatter homestead to destroy the town I guess?

If I get a second action it would be to grow my presence.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:52 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
I guess I will shatter homestead to destroy the town I guess?

If I get a second action it would be to grow my presence.
The way the game is structured, you only add presence during the single Growth step at the beginning of each round (unless a card is played that lets a player add a presence during the fast or slow power resolution).

You'll need to wait for the next round to add some more presence.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:01 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
The way the game is structured, you only add presence during the single Growth step at the beginning of each round (unless a card is played that lets a player add a presence during the fast or slow power resolution).

You'll need to wait for the next round to add some more presence.
I didnt know if I could only do two actions or one. It looked like other did more than one so... But, I'm fine with just killing the town.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 AM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
I didnt know if I could only do two actions or one. It looked like other did more than one so... But, I'm fine with just killing the town.
All the things the other players are doing are on cards. The amount of cards you can play each round is determined by the highest revealed number on your Card Plays presence track.

Lightning's Swift Strike can play 2 cards to begin with and can play lots more in future rounds if they add presence from that track.

EDIT: from what I've seen, you haven't actually picked your Growth yet. Choose one of those three options at the top of your player board first, and then choose which cards you'd like to play.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 AM

First, you do one of your Growth options.

For you, these options are:
  • Reclaim Cards, +1 Power Card, +1 Energy
  • Add Presence (range 2), Add Presence (range 0)
  • Add Presence (range 1), +3 Energy

If you add presence, you pick which of your presence tracks you want to boost. You can reveal more of the energy track or more of the card track. Right now, you're gaining 1 Energy per turn (this happens right after picking a Growth option) and can play up to two cards per turn. Every two presence you gain from the energy track increases your energy per turn by 1 up to 6, and every presence you gain from the card track increases the number of cards you can play per turn by 1 up to 5.

Once the dust from that is settled, you then have the option of playing some of your Power cards with the energy you have.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Turtle's explanation is good, and I endorse it. The Growth options turtle mentioned can be found at the top of your board, and these are your Power cards. If you're still unsure, you can always crowdsource your actions for the turn -- there are several experienced players reading the thread.

Fear Itself

I've talked about Fear quite a bit without actually mentioning what it does. Let's take a quick look at that.

In a four-player game, we have 16 Fear in the Fear Pool. (Don't swim in the Fear Pool, kids.) Each time the Fear Pool is emptied (i.e. every time we earn 16 Fear), we put a Fear card from the stack into our "Earned Fear Cards" section. Immediately before the invaders' actions, we flip over any of our earned Fear cards and apply their effects. More on that in a bit.

We start the game at Terror Level I (shown in the top right). The invaders are not very afraid, despite what Wary Conquistador might indicate. We can only win the game by eliminating every invader. That's gonna be tough! But after every three Fear cards, we reach a new Terror Level. I've removed the top of our Fear stack so you can see Terror Level II in the top left. The victory condition changes: we only need to remove Towns and Cities. Once we reach Terror Level III, which you can barely see peeking from beneath II, we only need to destroy the Cities to scare off the invaders. If we earn all nine Fear cards, then we win immediately -- the invaders are scared enough to abandon even their cities.

Along the way, we get the benefits of the Fear cards we earn. Take a look at Wary of the Interior, a card I've pulled from outside our game for demonstration purposes. When you resolve a Fear card, you take your current Terror Level (which might be higher than it was when you earned the card!) and apply the effect corresponding to that level. At Terror Level I, this card removes an Explorer per player, and at higher levels, it can remove Towns instead. Handy!

The card is covering up some reminder text: destroying Towns generates 1 Fear, and destroying Cities generates 2 Fear. Removing a Town or City (as this Fear card does) will not generate any Fear, but it's helpful for other reasons.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 AM

So here's a question I have. Let's say there's a Ravage step with a Town and a Dahan hut. The Town inflicts 2 damage, which destroys the hut. Does it also do 2 damage to the land? What about if Concealing Shadows is applied?
Old 10-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Yes. The Invaders deal their damage to the Dahan and the land -- in your example, this wipes out the one Dahan there and causes Blight.

Concealing Shadows says, "[Dahan] take no damage from Ravaging Invaders this turn." So the Town would fail to destroy the Dahan, but it would still damage the land. Then, the Dahan would counterattack, destroying the Town.

Defend effects are better: in your example, even Defend 1 would prevent the Blight and the destruction of the Dahan. The nice thing about Concealing Shadows, though, is that it doesn't care how much damage is dealt. You'll still get the Blight with Concealing Shadows, but the land doesn't get more Blight from taking damage beyond 2, and the Dahan will counter with their full strength. Very good card in the right situation.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:18 AM

I see. Thanks! Slightly bothers my plan for D7, but I don't think I could have easily stopped Blight there anyway.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:25 AM
Inherently Stealthy

It's also worth noting that Spirit Island's turn sequence is a bit unusual, and the rulebook actually explains it two or three different ways in hopes that one will sink in. So in that spirit...

Every turn, each spirit:

- Picks and executes one growth option
- Adds (energy/turn) energy to their persistent pool
- Plays up to (card plays) cards, paying energy for each
- Adds the elements shown on their board and played cards to a transitory (this turn only) pool

- Executes any fast powers, once each
- Twiddles their thumbs while the invader phase is executed
- Executes any slow powers, once each
- Discards their played cards to their personal discard

So you can only "grow" once per turn, but you can take as many power "actions" as you can play and have energy for. This includes the innate power on your spirit board; it has no energy cost and never has to be "played", so you can use each listed power there once/turn as long as you have the necessary elements.

(EDIT: Whoops, I'd forgotten when energy got paid! Thank you for the correction, Demo)

Last edited by Egarwaen; 10-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:27 AM
23 ski-dook

You pay for the cards you have played as soon as you put them down, regardless of whether they are fast or slow.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:12 PM
I have a Plan

Also, I wouldn't mind being the recipient of Lightning's Boon. That'd let me crumble a town before it becomes a bigger threat.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:44 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Probably unnecessary - the invaders aren't going to Ravage this turn. If you had a way to deal with Explorers, then fast speed would mean preventing a Town from entering play, but the Towns themselves can safely be dealt with at slow speed on this turn.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 PM
I have a Plan

Fair enough. I'm just a bit on edge considering that I have two very dangerous Sands about to do some real damage, but I'm also new to the game and not really sure yet what constitutes a full threat. And I suppose slowing the offensive now means I can respond to where they end up building.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:21 PM

Mogri mentioned it above, but Mantle of Dread could be nice sped up.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Fair enough. I'm just a bit on edge considering that I have two very dangerous Sands about to do some real damage, but I'm also new to the game and not really sure yet what constitutes a full threat. And I suppose slowing the offensive now means I can respond to where they end up building.
They won't do any damage this turn -- they'll just Build in the Sands. Most of us don't have a way to change that situation before the invader phase, so we're generally looking at a new Town in every Sands on the board this turn. The notable exception is D7: since there's already a Town in that land, they will instead build a City.

It would be good to avoid that! The most obvious method to me would be for FL to use Lightning's Boon on turtle, who would play Mantle of Dread at fast speed to kick both the Explorer and the Town to another land.

But we can't prevent all of the Build. When we can't prevent them from building, we have other options. In decreasing order by desirability:
  • Destroy the thing they just built. Most damage effects happen at slow speed, so if you play them on the Build turn, you can destroy invaders before they Ravage.
  • Use Defend effects on the following turn. As long as the invaders deal no more than 1 damage, they're harmless. If we can get the Dahan to counterattack, that's even better.
  • Move the Invaders off of the land before the Ravage step. There's now a Town somewhere else. We would have preferred to do this before they built, but better late than never.
  • Take the hit and clean up the Blight later. But... we all picked spirits with no Blight healing. Something to keep in mind when we pick up new powers.
  • Take the hit and keep going. This is the worst option, not only because it depletes our Blight Pool (really don't swim in the Blight Pool, kids), but because when Blight is added for any reason to a land that already has Blight, we also have to cascade an extra Blight to any one adjacent land. Yes, that means you can cascade off of cascades!

We have 8 Blight in the Blight Pool right now, and that means we're safe against a few hits. If we take some Blight next round, it's not a sign we're sunk -- we just need to make sure our Growth is outpacing the invaders.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:32 PM

My idea for D7 was to pile the Dahan there so that next turn I could Concealing Shadows on them and have them break the Explorer, Town, and City all at once. I'd figured the one Blight was an okay exchange for wiping that tile, but if not, I can do some pushing, I guess.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:34 PM
I have a Plan

I have Blight healing with All-Enveloping Green, it's just hard to get to is all.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Falselogic: Give me some idea of what to expect here. Are you still looking for Gerad to replace you?

Kalir: I ran a solo game with A Spread of Rampant Green yesterday. Choke the Land with Green along with the innate powers is really, really good. You don't always want to Choke the Land with Green, but it's an excellent panic button.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 AM
I have a Plan

It looks like it! Especially since I can always just bring back Presence I destroy. I'll have to get a good feel for how to properly place Presence to make that work though, I kinda missed the boat on the Sands.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Falselogic: Give me some idea of what to expect here. Are you still looking for Gerad to replace you?
Paging FL...
Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Paging FL...
Sorry. I'd like to play and figure this game out with y'all. It's on my shopping list.

But, Ive got to bow out. Too much going on at work right now to really get into this.

Sorry again.

It's all yours Gerad!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Sorry. I'd like to play and figure this game out with y'all. It's on my shopping list.

But, Ive got to bow out. Too much going on at work right now to really get into this.

Sorry again.

It's all yours Gerad!
OK, thanks.

Sorry, guys, it's going to take me some time to get up to speed...does someone want to make my round 1 moves (whatever False didn't) for me?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 PM
Holy Swine

Does it make sense to do the Presence +1 / 3 energy growth, and then play the 1 damage to everybody card, using the purple thing to make it fast?
Old 10-12-2017, 06:41 PM
I have a Plan

Raging Storm seems a little bit overkill to me.

I think the ideas posted above are to use Lightning's Boon so that aturtledoesbite can speedplay Mantle of Dread, saving D7 from the worst, and fast-speed Shatter Homesteads (I'd go with C7, or C6 at slow speed to play more defensive) to kickstart Fear generation and cut off Invader generation. Raging Storm doesn't do much damage on its own to each target, so unless you were to get a follow-up source of damage (most likely Dahan counterattack) it's a bit of a waste.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Yes, let's feast!

OK, we'll go with that. Those cards total 3 energy, so you'll need to pick the +3 energy growth option to afford them. I'll take the presence from your energy track and put it onto C5.

Turn 1: Fast Actions

Lightning's Swift Strike - Lightning's Boon: Shadows Flicker Like Flame may speed up two actions this turn.
Thunderspeaker - Sudden Ambush: The Dahan and Thunderspeaker Presence move from D7 to D5. The Explorer in D5 is destroyed.
A Spread of Rampant Green - Gift of Proliferation: Shadows Flicker Like Flame adds a Presence from its energy track to D5.
Shadows Flicker Like Flame - Mantle of Dread: Choose a destination for the Pushed targets.
Shadows Flicker Like Flame - Darkness Swallows the Unwary: You may Pull an Explorer into a space no more than 1 away from a sacred site.

We can choose the order in which to resolve our actions, but in most cases, it doesn't matter. In this case, using Gift of Proliferation before Darkness Swallows the Unwary is the only way we can benefit from changing the order.

We're pending decisions from turtle. Gerad can speed up Shatter Homesteads, but there's no benefit to doing so. Turtle can speed up Favors Called Due, but that too is of questionable value.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 PM

First, does Favors Called Due work with 0 invaders? If not, I'll want to speed that up, pulling one of the Dahan from D1.

Otherwise or afterward, let's push those two in D7 to C7. Finally, pull the Explorer from D4 to D6.

Tags
anticolonialism , spirit island