The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-07-2017, 10:05 AM
King Of Space-Time

Ah yeah, I missed that. Edited my post.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Sudden chomper

As someone who is seriously into Irish traditional music, the "celtic" influenced music in games like Wind Waker sounds really weird to me. It's like a Disneyland version of actual folk music that doesn't sound like any of the styles that it draws influence from. Unless there's a secret country I don't know about where Bill Whelan is king...
Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I think you'd pretty much have to name the thread "NO YOUTUBE EMBEDS (Also Top 50 Soundtracks)".
this assumes people read the thread title
Old 09-07-2017, 11:57 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
this assumes people read the thread title
I mean, people not named Falselogic can generally be expected to read at least a little before they post in a thread.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:14 PM
Out Of Warranty

#49 (Tie) — Vagrant Story
78 points • 3 mentions • Highest rank: #2 (Peklo)

Featured Track:
Climax of the Grayland Incident

FactoryOpening Movie

Composed by:

Hitoshi Sakamoto
Platform: Playstation • Release date: February 10, 2000
We hope you like ‘Factory’, you’ll be hearing it for hours

Vagrant Story can be a divisive game when it comes down to its story or gameplay, but there’s very little disagreement when it comes down to its OST: it’s an amazing work by Hitoshi Sakamoto, fresh from his work from Final Fantasy Tactics, with a soundtrack that is not as epic as his previous game but more restrained and atmospheric.

The featured track, “Climax of the Grayland Incident”, is a 12-minute long tour-de-force for most of the game leiv-motivs. It is the first track you hear in the game proper, as it plays during the entire intro sequence, changing dynamically as Ashley Riot infiltrates an occupied enemy castle and ends up fighting a Wyvern in the game’s first boss battle. It is used to introduce some key characters and concepts, and never loses its focus. It’s really impressive.

~ Positronic Brain
Old 09-07-2017, 04:18 PM
Out Of Warranty

#49 (Tie) — Legend of Mana
78 points • 3 mentions • Highest rank: #2 (Kirin)

Featured Track:
Title Theme

The Wind Sings of a JourneyMoonlit City RoaSong of Mana

Composed by:

Yoko Shimomura
Platform: Playstation • Release date: July 15, 1999
Even the vocals have a bright pastel palette, somehow.

Legend of Mana is controversial, too. It diverges somewhat from the gameplay of previous Mana games, so you’ll find very vocal opinions about the quality of the resulting. What everybody agrees is that it is gorgeous, gorgeous games, full of bright colors and amazing art design - and a wonderful soundtrack.

Behind the OST you’ll find a familiar name: Yoko Shimomura, who had already made a name for herself with Street Fighter II and Parasite Eve. The track is full of joyous songs that compliment perfectly the art style of the game. Listen to the featured tracks, and to the great work that Shimomura did with the help of vocalist Annika Ljungberg in Song of Mana. Shimomura has said that she needs to feel the emotions of a game before she can write down the music, and that really comes through in her Legend of Mana work.

The featured track is “Title Theme”, which plays during the game's attract mode. A simple theme featuring some of the game’s main motifs, first played on a gentle piano, with string section joining later, and then transforming into a much more somber melody. The transition is masterful, and Shimomura just nails both the majesty and gentleness of the first part and the anxiousness and urgency of the second, darker part.

~ Positronic Brain
Old 09-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
I think Chrono Trigger gonna sue somebody.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Out Of Warranty

Oh, just to be clear - Vagrant Story and Secret of Mana tying at #49 means that FFIX, the game right behind them, is game #51 and missed the top list... for 1 (one) point.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Love is OGR

Quote:
We hope you like ‘Factory’, you’ll be hearing it for hours
It's my favourite track! I wanna cuddle up and burrow into the workshops and live inside them forever, and the music's no small part of that. Other considerations: Dullahan, Abandoned Mines Level 1, Undercity, Tieger and Neesa, Truth... such a consistently great soundtrack.

Legend of Mana's music isn't really a favourite, but I'm glad there are vocals in Swedish in it.

Edit: a tiny "um, actually" if you'll bear with me: it's Sakimoto, not Sakamoto.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Burnin' like a Noumander

Vagrant Story was a strong contender for my list, but did not place in the final version, so I'm very glad it showed up in the actual list. I share Peklo's sentiments about Factory, and one day hope to make my own Vagrant Story-esque workshop just to have Factory play in it forever. This is my dream. Dullahan is also excellent, and carries with it the glory, excitement and danger of a true battle...what a rush!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 PM
an eeling of Christmas

Vagrant Story is very distinctly Sakimoto. But it sounds as a result remarkably similar to the soundtrack to Valkyria Chronicles which has much better orchestral samples due to technology improvements over the course of the better part of a decade

Don't mind me, I didn't vote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Not a Beer

I checked and was a little surprised Vagrant Story wasn't on my list... probably only because three other Sakimoto soundtracks are. But Greiland Case Climax is definitely a long-time fave, and there's lots of other good stuff in there too even if a big portion of the OST is pretty ambient. Also notable is the weird techno remix of GCC and a few other pieces that I think came bundled on one of the physical releases.

Legend of Mana, obviously I love the hell out of, having put it as my #2. The ordering of my top 10 is pretttttty arbitrary, but it's always been a fave. In addition to Title Theme I also had scribbled in Song of Mana, Wind Sings of a Journey, and Hometown Domina. The three-pronged story really lends itself to a neat variety of leitmotifs, all of which mix back in with the main themes at various points. Just a really cool soundtrack as a whole, and I've always had a soft spot for Shimomura's styles.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:20 PM
Drawerings

Legend of Mana is the secret best (of) Mana, and was my #20. It's just such a lovely world, and the combat is about on par with Secret (I've never played SD3). The Wind Sings of a Journey was my pick for best track. It was a difficult choice between that and City of Flickering Destruction but I came down on the side of Wind because, while City has a haunting melancholy around it, there's just something about Wind that does it for me. The simple guitar riff and soaring flute just scream ADVENTURE. Plus Lake Kilma and the Junkyard are both extremely memorable locations.

I imagine we're going to see a lot of Squaresoft on this list.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:29 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
I've been wondering how the hell this happened for like ... 20 years now!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:48 PM
#deadfish2017

Yay Legend. I'm surprised.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

If these are the games that barely missed making the list and are at the end of this then I don't have high hopes for some of my "underdog" choices. (I am fairly confident that some of my high seed choices will make the list.)

Breath of Fire 3 and Final Fantasy 9 were both on my candidate list but I ran out of time before I could review their soundtracks. Even if I had been able to review them I'm still not sure if BoF3 would have made my list. FF9 might have.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 AM

Vagrant Story is an OST I don't like at all. This calm atmospheric music just isn't my genre at all.

Legend of Mana on the other hand I remembered liking. I actually recently listed through the complete "... of Mana" OSTs and felt like they weren't as good as I remembered them except for one OST, which was actually better than I remembered (which I ended up voting for). Legend of Mana unfortunately ended up being "not as good as I remember it". It has some songs I like, but 90% I didn't really particularly like. It was also lacking a song that I love so much that I actually remember it. But at least the music has melody focus. I just like that so much more than ambient.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Every Sakimoto that I didn't vote for I feel bad about (Vagrant Story is one of those)
Old 09-08-2017, 07:43 AM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issun View Post
Legend of Mana is the secret best (of) Mana, and was my #20. It's just such a lovely world, and the combat is about on par with Secret (I've never played SD3). The Wind Sings of a Journey was my pick for best track. It was a difficult choice between that and City of Flickering Destruction but I came down on the side of Wind because, while City has a haunting melancholy around it, there's just something about Wind that does it for me. The simple guitar riff and soaring flute just scream ADVENTURE. Plus Lake Kilma and the Junkyard are both extremely memorable locations.

I imagine we're going to see a lot of Squaresoft on this list.
I've never played LoM, but I did used to watch my buddy play it, and later I downloaded the chiptune library. The Wind Sings of a Journey is still one of my favorite game tracks. I didn't vote for this game, but it's a really good choice.

Haven't ever listened to or played Vagrant Story, so I'll have to check out its music.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:22 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Oh, just to be clear - Vagrant Story and Secret of Mana tying at #49 means that FFIX, the game right behind them, is game #51 and missed the top list... for 1 (one) point.
WHAT HAVE I DONE!
Old 09-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Unreliable Narrator

I hope someone sorts the final list by composer when this is over.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Leading Sigma's Sleigh

I didn't vote for Vagrant Story, but mostly only because I filled my list with obscure personal faves that are probably not going to place.

Sakimoto is the best, though.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:04 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#48 — Cave Story
79 points • 3 mentions • Highest rank: #3 (DRAGON FRIEND)

Featured track:
Cave Story (Main Theme)

Geothermal

Composed by: Daisuke “Pixel” Amaya
Platform: PC, and everything thereafter • Release date: December 20, 2004
Quote:

The story of Cave Story's development is famous, but within that narrative, special attention ought to be paid to its music. Pixel is a programmer by trade, not a musician, and this shaped his entire process; Cave Story's music was composed in OrgMaker, a rudimentary program created by Pixel himself. His process was no more intentional than simply "put[ting] some notes together, giv[ing] them a listen, and decid[ing] if they sound good or bad." To call this unorthodox is an understatement; famed indie composer Danny Baranowsky described the music's compositional qualities as "alien", and that it "make[s] no sense whatsoever but it works."

Indeed it does. Cave Story's music is just as much a classic as the game itself, and arguably some of the finest "chiptune" music out there. It's got everything you could ask for: adventurous area themes, blistering action tracks, foreboding and somber pieces, and, of course, renditions of Finnish folk music.

No song better showcases Cave Story than its main theme. An upbeat little ditty, it worms its way into the listener's ear in just a few seconds, making it the perfect fit for a title screen. What really puts it above and beyond, though, is how it gets a late-game appearance as the theme to the Plantation area. Such a reprise gives the track a whole new feel: now it's confident, exuberant and triumphant. Quote's back on track, and this song's there to let you know.

Oh, it's worth mentioning that over the course of its many, many re-releases, Cave Story has amassed three remixed soundtracks: "New" (from Cave Story WiiWare, by Yann Van Der Cruyssen), "Remastered" (3D, Danny Baranowsky) and "Famitracks" (Switch, RushJet1). Nobody specified their favourite version… but it's probably safe to assume that it's Pixel's original, right?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:05 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

#47 — Bastion
80 points • 4 mentions • Highest rank: #7 (Adrenaline)

Featured track:
Terminal March

Setting Sail, Coming HomeThe Sole RegretSpike in a Rail

Composed by: Darren Korb
Platform: Xbox 360, PC • Release date: July 20, 2011
A bastion of creativity

Bastion doesn't sound like anything else. Composer Darren Korb described it as "acoustic frontier trip hop" and "old world electronic post-rock"; and while those may sound like the kind of word-salad genre names meant to lampoon the internet's mass genre balkanization, here it's apt.

But let's unpack those descriptions. The music is, at its core, electronic; and its heavy percussion, simple loops and overall melancholy sound certainly do call to mind trip hop. From there, the music is embellished with a variety of string instruments; twangy banjos and Western guitars (complete with string squeaks) lend it that sense of the American wild west, while use of the sitar, mandolin, gamelan and harp add a degree of sophistication and class. It's a strange but intoxicating mixture.

You can hear it all collide in the featured track, "Terminal March". Opening on a quiet guitar twang, the song starts building up an electronic wall-of-sound before abruptly cutting into a sitar melody. From then on, the sitar and a harshly distorted electric guitar riff duel for dominance through the track, all while other elements flit in and out along the edges of the song.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:08 PM
It's all good, man

Bastion's music rules.

Quick Q: How do you decide which selected track is featured?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Man, I am bummed that I forgot Cave Story. That's the good stuff right there.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:25 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Quick Q: How do you decide which selected track is featured?
Whichever got the most mentions. In the event of a tie (as here), I've been using a random number generator to break it. For BoF3 I re-rolled, since I was struggling to say anything about the initial pick.

There's no weighting of the song votes, partly because that would be a hassle (there's no calculator for the songs, so they're all being counted by hand) and partly because we think it's a better way to determine consensus.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:36 PM
Armor Guardian

I forgot Cave Story in my initial list and never submitted a corrected list because I'm lazy.

whoopsie
Old 09-08-2017, 03:59 PM
King Of Space-Time

ARGH. how could I forget Bastion and Setting Sail, Coming Home!?
Old 09-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Christmas Action Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Man, I am bummed that I forgot Cave Story. That's the good stuff right there.
I'm pretty sure I did too and I've been mildly agonizing over it all week.

Edit - CONFIRMED so I feel bad now

Last edited by WildcatJF; 09-08-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Tags
atlus/jrpg dick riding , democracy was a mistake , erauqs si dlrow eht , hip to be a square wave , pronounced "eece" , top 50 countdown , treble with anticipation