The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-26-2017, 05:27 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
God damn this is hard. I just started in on this in earnest, and so far my draft list has fifty-two soundtrack entries, most of them with multiple tracks for consideration. And I know I'm forgetting things because it's just been seeded from previous game lists plus a skim of my iTunes sorted by ranking.

Can... can we submit more than one "favorite" track per entry?

*buries head in hands*
I had planned to submit two tracks when they are tied.

But beyond that I think I am just going to list the number of favorite tracks I have...
Especially when I can't narrow my favorite track list for a game down any more.

Of course first I need to pare down the 55 entry candidate list I have.

Hey, Kirin, do you have room in there for my head?
Old 08-26-2017, 05:54 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Can... can we submit more than one "favorite" track per entry?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
I had planned to submit two tracks when they are tied.
I'm afraid not. Truth be told, it's already a little awkward to keep track of one song, and I shudder to think what it would be like with two. Plus, if I were to let you do it, then I'm sure everyone else would want to as well, and that's just a whole 'nother can of worms. So: one song limit.

I guess, if it helps any, you could list multiple songs— but do know that I'll be treating the first one as the actual selection, and the others as fluff.

Last edited by conchobhar; 08-26-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: This originally came across as a bit snippy. I've reworded and toned it down.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:20 PM
Not a Beer

I mean, that's fair and reasonable.

*dies*

(No, really, I'll probably end up with plenty of extra crap in there but yeah just take the first ones.)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:59 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
(No, really, I'll probably end up with plenty of extra crap in there but yeah just take the first ones.)
Actually, I don't mind that as a compromise: I'll kill your darlings for you. Haha.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:31 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

*fighting back tears, voice breaking* No conchopa, I have to be the one to put down Old Yeller. It's what he would want me to do.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Not a Beer

Ugggggh, my "short" list still has 30 soundtracks why are you doing this to usssssss
Old 08-27-2017, 04:13 PM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Ugggggh, my "short" list still has 30 soundtracks why are you doing this to usssssss
^_^
Old 08-28-2017, 03:38 AM

I filtered my list mainly by doing "Exclude all OSTs that I didn't like enouh to either buy the OST or leave the game running without playing just to listen to it".

Also I found there where two type of OSTs for me: Those where I really like a few tracks ALOT (as in I've listened to them over 1000 times probably) and those where I don't really have any particular favorite tracks, but the overall OST impression is great.

In the latter case I've just randomly picked the first track that came to mind as favorite.

There was one OST where I love every single dungeon theme, but I ended up picking the opening song as favorite, because I couldn't decide for one dungeon theme.

Honestly, music is hard to explain in form of a list. To many of the OSTs and tracks I can actually tell a whole story.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:45 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Got mine done. A mix of classic 8-bit stuff, a title bit of some operatic stuff and in a few cases, a case of really good aggregation of existing material.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:30 PM
Not a Beer

I'm actually just punting on several fave track selections by using opening/ending medleys that cover several themes at once. :P Sadly I just don't have time to skim through a dozen or more soundtracks where a particular track didn't leap to mind immediately.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 PM
-ryn

I don't know if i'm going to make the deadline, but I'm having a good time listening to some of my favorite music anyways.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 PM
All are Santa Saturn

I got mine down to 30 but now I have to rank them and kill the bottom 5 darlings.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Out Of Warranty

Hey, guys!

Just a reminder that the deadline is tomorrow. We will probably accept late forms, but the only way we can guarantee your pick makes it into the final tally is by making sure you send it before the deadline. Make sure your darlings didn't die in vain!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:37 AM
whatever it takes

FUCK.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:28 PM
King Of Space-Time

Hurry everyone, or my all votes are worth more for your lack of action.

CAN YOU HANDLE SUCH A BURDEN?
Old 09-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Find Your Reason

I had trouble finding non-arranged OSTs that I would like well enough to listen to completely divorced from the game --some games have great music, yeah, but not great enough to get the CD or such. So I only got 24 titles altogether.

However, at least 20 of those 24 had MULTIPLE themes that I'd consider top-notch, the most representative of the soundtrack, the most representative of the game, vital to the themes of the artwork, OR my personal favorites. At one point I had 70 themes to cull!

Ended up going with a mix of "What I think is the best composition in the soundtrack" for some, "What I think has a lot of meaning and everyone else will go for the obvious one anyway" for others, and "Gah just listening to this one is a spoiler but dammit this is THE theme."
Old 09-01-2017, 01:34 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I got mine down to 30 but now I have to rank them and kill the bottom 5 darlings.
Please don't kill The Adventures of Lolo's main theme.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:28 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Done... I should have worked on this more. There are a lot of soundtracks I had to leave on the cutting room floor which probably could have made my list if I had put more work into this.

Oh well...
Old 09-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Out Of Warranty

Final stretch, guys!

Everybody who has send in their list and whose votes have been tallied should have received a thank you note by now - if you haven't please let us know, so we don't accidentally miss somebody's picks.

The lines are still open, folks!

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 09-02-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 AM
Out Of Warranty

And the lines are closed.

Thank you so much for your participation! We've received 884 votes from all of you, and most of you voted wrong with many unexpected choices that, I hope, are going to make the final list have some surprises because none of you can appreciate the genius of the E.T. 2600 OST, heathens.

You all should have received your confirmation message by now. It will take us a few days to finish hammering the details and making sure we got all the votes right, but expect the result thread to go live soon.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:06 PM
All are Santa Saturn

I didn't receive a thank you note. I submitted on...Thursday night? Let me know if I need to submit again.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:08 PM
All are Santa Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Please don't kill The Adventures of Lolo's main theme.
My apologies, it wasn't even on my list. Which I guess is the same as killing it.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
I didn't receive a thank you note. I submitted on...Thursday night? Let me know if I need to submit again.
Just checked, and it was the note itself which slipped through the cracks. We did receive the list and it was counted. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Thank you so much for your participation! We've received 884 votes from all of you, and most of you voted wrong with many unexpected choices that, I hope, are going to make the final list have some surprises because none of you can appreciate the genius of the E.T. 2600 OST, heathens.
I really hope some OSTs make it to the list that I actually like so I can talk a bit about them.

I do think that when it comes to game music, you can generally split people into some sub-groups. Like there are people who like electro/trance/hardrock music and there are people who like atmospheric/calm music. Also people who prefer clear melodies that are very much in the foreground and people who prefer ambient "epic" music. And people who really love everything with vocals and people who don't think vocalized songs fit into games.

These rarely seem to mix. Like I have friends who like every single song I hate. And I have friends who like every single song I love. But it's super rare to have someone liking the same song as I do and then liking another song I don't like at all.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:01 PM
-ryn

well, i managed to list out about 20 games and about 10 of them have fav tracks and nothings ordered and i ran out of time...
Old 09-05-2017, 03:35 PM
whatever it takes

I ended up deciding that I would never be able to settle on a list that I was 100% satisfied with, so I didn't spend a ton of time agonizing over mine. I predict tragic consequences.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Drawerings

At least when Manic Miner gets #1 we'll know who to blame.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:50 PM
Not a Beer

My list is such a shambles, *especially* the track selections, but since I was at a con all weekend I had no time to revise it before the deadline. Oh well! It is what it is.

Tags
democracy in action , democracy was a mistake , top 50