The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 09-08-2017, 01:06 PM
Safe Space

beep beep
Old 09-08-2017, 01:48 PM
TARANTUL

Cute, but "reprint" in that context means "add to a set that makes it legal in additional formats" not the physical act of printing the card so it can be used in formats it's already legal in.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM

That's a deep cut.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:34 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
That's a deep cut.
That's an intimidating wall of text for a nostalgia character.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:36 PM
TARANTUL

That's not a real card, or at least no more real than the World Champion card.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:27 PM
Safe Space

It's still better than Shichifukujin Dragon.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:20 PM
gatchapon 3*

That, and two others, were cards wotc made to reward specific teams for internal successes. This was for the folks who made d&d 5th ed, for instance.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Doctor of Death

Planeswalker Rule is dead, they're just Legendary now. Time to have seven Jaces out at the same time!

EDIT: Sorry, there are NINE unique Jace Planeswalkers now.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:54 PM
gatchapon 3*

i'm working on an oops, all gideons edh deck.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:45 PM
Safe Space

And nonfoil Captain Sisay's gone from $5 to $35...
Old 09-29-2017, 09:55 AM
d.o_o.b

Switching to draft and only making EDH decks out of cards I already own is the best decision I've ever made.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:09 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid View Post
Switching to draft and only making EDH decks out of cards I already own is the best decision I've ever made.
I've been telling people this for like 10 years (I'll still grab a card or two here or there for EDH).
Old 09-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Safe Space

I can't stand draft. I have no idea how to read what colours are open or how to build a 40-card deck. Watching pros online do it makes it seem so easy, but I've scrubbed out in round 1 in basically every draft I've ever been in.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:41 PM
who's she

I'm not even that into EDH, but the 100-card highlander deck I made for the format turned into one of my all-time favorites to play in regular multiplayer.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Oily Butt Thing

work has been drafting employees to try and make up the numbers to get Standard FNM to fire on the regular, so I played constructed Magic last night for the first time since...early Revised? Before there was such a thing as Standard, anyway.

borrowed my co-worker's Esper control deck and went 2-2: beat down a midrange dinosaur deck with Scarab God and Torrential Gearhulk, outlasted Gearhulk reanimator by hitting Approach of the Second Sun for both wins, lost 1-2 to Temur energy after he sideboarded to speed up his deck, and took a shitkicking from a kid with Rakdos pirates.

two observations: Approach of the Second Sun is a super obnoxious control finisher with all the card draw blue can muster (Search for Azcanta, Glimmer of Genius, and Supreme Will let me plow through those six cards to cast it the second time, usually within two turns), and tribal aggro looks like it is way fun to play right now. Probably will be even more so once Kaladesh rotates out and energy goes away.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:45 AM
Oily Butt Thing

MAGICFIST II: FORCED TO JANK - did Standard Showdown on Sunday as well with the RW dinosaurs planeswalker deck. Mostly got beat up on, as I was supposed to. But my last match was cool: a kid had come out to his first ever constructed tournament with a deck full of rickety combo win conditions, and my deck was slow enough that he got to combo off by the skin of his teeth for both wins. So, I went 1-3 and got no packs but generated a satisfied customer.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
MAGICFIST II: FORCED TO JANK - did Standard Showdown on Sunday as well with the RW dinosaurs planeswalker deck. Mostly got beat up on, as I was supposed to. But my last match was cool: a kid had come out to his first ever constructed tournament with a deck full of rickety combo win conditions, and my deck was slow enough that he got to combo off by the skin of his teeth for both wins. So, I went 1-3 and got no packs but generated a satisfied customer.
This makes me wonder why more stores don't spike their tournament draws with tomato cans. Back when I played magic, store tournaments drew 2-3 store employees, all with pro tour points, and they usually powerbombed newbies in the round robin before hitting the top four. Every week. Somehow it never occurred to management this was why they never saw new faces stick around.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:02 AM
Oily Butt Thing

in our case it is wholly out of necessity -- you just can't get eight Standard players to fire a tournament most days -- but yeah it has sort of a beneficial side effect there.

something you might find interesting, speaking of: Wizards is making a concerted effort to reduce the value of FNM promo cards in order to discourage Spike from coming in and steamrolling FNM tournaments. for the last couple of years any time the FNM promo was a Modern staple (Fatal Push this last time, Serum Visions a couple cycles before that) you saw a dramatic uptick in mean douchebags showing up for draft and Standard. the problem: if the mean douchebags never come out you see an appreciable drop in FNM attendance overall.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 AM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
something you might find interesting, speaking of: Wizards is making a concerted effort to reduce the value of FNM promo cards in order to discourage Spike from coming in and steamrolling FNM tournaments. for the last couple of years any time the FNM promo was a Modern staple (Fatal Push this last time, Serum Visions a couple cycles before that) you saw a dramatic uptick in mean douchebags showing up for draft and Standard. the problem: if the mean douchebags never come out you see an appreciable drop in FNM attendance overall.
That is interesting! I remember when Kird Ape was the FNM promo prize that the crowds about had to play on the sidewalk outside. I also remember how absolutely poisonous that social scene became with all the wannabe pros in the same room at once.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:46 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
This makes me wonder why more stores don't spike their tournament draws with tomato cans. Back when I played magic, store tournaments drew 2-3 store employees, all with pro tour points, and they usually powerbombed newbies in the round robin before hitting the top four. Every week. Somehow it never occurred to management this was why they never saw new faces stick around.
Yeah, I can't believe this either, in retrospect. The biggest Magic store here is owned by a guy who's come in 2nd in the pro tour and a huge contingent of the regulars are the sort who grind GPs; usually sitting across from an employee is a pretty rough game.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:54 PM
gatchapon 3*

so i've been talking to wotc folks, and among the other scuttlebutt, the fnm promos are gonna be changing back to cards folks care about. even though casuals like me *love* the tokens, the spike crowd, which doesn't even go to fnm, cried really really loudly, so wotc is going back in the next batch.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:56 PM
TARANTUL

If they're going to do that they should just make the promos participation rewards.

Sure, it'll tank the value on some random uncommons and mid range rares, but that's better than the alternative.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:00 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
so i've been talking to wotc folks, and among the other scuttlebutt, the fnm promos are gonna be changing back to cards folks care about. even though casuals like me *love* the tokens, the spike crowd, which doesn't even go to fnm, cried really really loudly, so wotc is going back in the next batch.
I gotta think there's a happy medium between "creature token almost nobody wants" and "13-dollar foil Modern staple dudes will slit throats for." I really like the Standard Showdown packs, actually, you have a good chance of getting some value in there but they're not enough to start a lot of grief over.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:39 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Or it could be that FNM attendance dropped.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:52 PM
Merry Christmas, Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Or it could be that FNM attendance dropped.
OP was the tail that wagged the dog even before kitchen table formats like EDH took over the hobby. I legit wonder how much marketing upside they get from the tournament scene.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:11 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
OP was the tail that wagged the dog even before kitchen table formats like EDH took over the hobby.
I often wonder if they'll go all the way and release an officially Commander-focused booster set, although that's maybe 80 percent of what Conspiracy already is.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:27 PM
gatchapon 3*

also, i want boxes of unstable. i never thought i'd say that.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:27 PM
does the Underpants Dance

One of the weirdest experiences I had with FNM was playing Standard against a huge douchebag from my high school days ~9 years later. In retrospect I now realize he was one of those try-hard Spike types (he was playing Red Deck Wins and I don't think it was even his own deck) which explains a lot of why he was such an asshole during my high school FNMs.

I've been out of the Magic scene for a while now, but if FNM attendance is dropping it's probably because people can stay at home and play lots of other card games and not have to deal with sweaty nerds. I'm not sure how Wizards can increase retention/on-boarding of new players in this era of digital saturation. FNM is still pretty strong as a social outlet and it's probably more fun than sitting at home playing MTG: Arena will be, but it also costs money.

EDIT: Now I'm imagining an augmented reality situation where you can use your digital card collection to play in real life with people.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
I've been out of the Magic scene for a while now, but if FNM attendance is dropping it's probably because people can stay at home and play lots of other card games and not have to deal with sweaty nerds. I'm not sure how Wizards can increase retention/on-boarding of new players in this era of digital saturation.
This is totally a factor, I'm sure. Hearthstone and its heirs are gonna steadily nibble away at Magic's lunch for the foreseeable future.

Really, though, the big problem isn't with dropping FNM attendance generally as plummeting Standard FNM attendance specifically. The trouble is with the format, not the venue. We're not in as bad a place as we were a few blocks ago, when you either played Bant Collected Company or lost to a guy playing Bant Collected Company, but the Standard metagame still shakes out to "play one of these three decks, each of which will cost you between $300 and $400." And a straight-up draw-go control deck just won the Standard GP in Atlanta, which isn't a great sign.

Quote:
Now I'm imagining an augmented reality situation where you can use your digital card collection to play in real life with people.
Given the amount of work going on in AR tabletop-style games I would be shocked dead if somebody wasn't already developing this exact idea.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 AM
Chief

Quote:
This is totally a factor, I'm sure. Hearthstone and its heirs are gonna steadily nibble away at Magic's lunch for the foreseeable future.
I'm kind of curious if Magic Arena is going to staunch the bleeding on this particular front or if it's going to be like Duels where it's fun for a while but wears thin with time.

Tags
card games , ccg , magic the gathering , traditional games , wotc