The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 04-25-2014, 09:21 AM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well sure, they can't complain once they've died of gold flake ingestion.
Exactly!
Old 04-25-2014, 11:44 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
But is it inert, and goes right through, or does it damage something along the way?
No damage but you may get some trouble frok somd crazy old prospector.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:18 PM
GASP

It's so annoying when people pan for gold in your toilet.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 PM
borgn

That same writer just did another article making fun of every menu item at Guy Fieri's Las Vegas dumphole and it's hilarious.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:39 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

It's not a new idea. Also, as I understand it only pure (24K) gold is safe to eat.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
But is it inert, and goes right through, or does it damage something along the way?
gold is a very bio-compatible material, so it would be nice if everyone stopped fetishizing it, so it could be used for its biological and electrical properties, rather than The Shiny
Old 04-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Find Your Reason

D'oh! Right, I had forgotten about gold fillings in teeth.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:52 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
gold is a very bio-compatible material, so it would be nice if everyone stopped fetishizing it, so it could be used for its biological and electrical properties, rather than The Shiny
More proof that humans are basically just giant magpies.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:02 AM
Safe Space

Or maybe magpies are tiny people.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:33 AM
We just don't know.

They might be. We just don't know.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sake Story - The "Overflow" Pour In A Masu

You see it happening - right there before your eyes - your brain immediately processes the info at hand - the waiter has gone mad - but - but - should you say something - should you do something - he has lost total control of his motor skills and is pouring too much sake into an already filled glass - but - but look at all of that awesome sake - if you stop him and alert him - you will not get all of that excess brew - but - perhaps he is having a seizure - he could be ill - he could be suffering the most incredible stroke ever documented in the food industry "Did you hear about Dwayne Phillips over at Sushi Key? - Yah! - Dude had a massive stroke while attending a table - Yah! - But he didn't even stop his pour - total warrior - what a server!" - what seems like an eternity is literally the greatest three seconds in the sake world - and you mutter to yourself "come on seizure boy - keep your balance - don't go dying on me just yet - fill the whole damn wooden box" - and you try to make eye contact to deduce the true meaning why this person has lost total control of their ability to judge quantity - but the concentration is great - too great - the abundance dance continues and continues - and flows and flows - and your questioning mouth slips from a pursed queer whistle looking quandary to an outright grin of potential delight - you are grinning larger and larger as your wooden box shimmers with waves of excess sake - the inset glass is now almost half submerged in sake that has come from heaven or heart failure - and you toss your head back in the best "oh my god" way that usually only occurred on December 25th as a child - and then by some horrible act of a spiteful deity the mouth of the bottle starts to turn up - the neck of the bottle starts to tilt towards the ceiling and the concentration that was the face of the waiter turns into a seeking mask of approval - the seizure is over and is replaced by a "yes I just pumped your glass so full of brew you ought to get down on your knees and kiss my orthopedic waiter shoes ten times over" look that lingers and nudges for a response like "Man! That's a lot of sake- did you go crazy?" - but it never comes because you are still stunned by what just occurred - that moment when the stars aligned - when heavens parted - when magic filled the air - and you realize that somebody has just given you free booze - free un-paid for twinkling alcohol - free flowing sauce that was not supposed to be given away willy nilly - free precious laboriously hand crafted sake imported from some brewery in Japan - free nectar of the gods - but for what reason - why? - why gosh darn it? - WHY? Don't look to Dwayne Phillips for answers - he did it just to secure the prospects of a bigger tip - he has no clue as to why this act of over abundance occurs within his very own realm - no clue - none!

We have all been there - we have all seen it - hell - now we expect it. That great event that some describe as the "overflow." That wonderful overflow of sake that occurs usually when a glass is inside a wooden or lacquer box called a masu, or is on a saucer shaped dish with the sake glass nested in the middle. The waitperson literally pours sake over the capacity of the glass, which then "overflows" into the box or dish like a waterfall of goodness. And yes this usually occurs in a sushi restaurant (to this day I have never seen this act in an Italian restaurant with a masu and sake!). But why? Hmmm - there are many theories and many notions - several of which I believe, and some that I don't. (It's a safeguard act of prayer against the ever-present earthquakes in Japan.)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:54 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by some AV Club commenter
Can I just say, fuck HGTV, because their pushing of this house flipping bullshit helped to fuel the real estate speculation that created the housing bubble that, together with the mortgage bundling following the deregulation of the banking industry, ended up causing the 2008 recession that we still haven't fully recovered from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by some BRILLIANT AV Club commenter
Really? They cashed in on an existing trend to sell advertising space in a niche cable market. Saying they fueled the housing bubble (and, IIRC, the peak of the flipping shows lagged somewhat after the actual real estate bubble peak) is like blaming Herbie the Love Bug for traffic congestion in San Francisco.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:21 AM
borgn

Was that for an article about the horrifying suoer-religious, homophobic show HGTV is threatening to air? Because really, fuck them just for THAT.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:52 PM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Was that for an article about the horrifying suoer-religious, homophobic show HGTV is threatening to air? Because really, fuck them just for THAT.
I read they already cancelled that due to public outcry.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:03 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droewyn View Post
I read they already cancelled that due to public outcry.
yes and yes!
Old 05-08-2014, 01:06 PM
le petite mort

Whoa, link please. I haven't heard about this.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:08 PM
GASP

It's always nice when an offensive thing goes away before I actually have time to get worked up about it.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:11 PM
not talking tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Whoa, link please. I haven't heard about this.
"Flip It Forward" got canceled at the starting line because the family involved are regressive pricks and because they haven't yet become as popular as the "Duck Dynasty" family who are also regressive pricks but are famous enough to be untouchable.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 PM
le petite mort

Thanks! And hurray! To the cancellation, I mean, not to these bigots.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:10 AM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
yes and yes!
Good and good
Old 11-14-2014, 09:58 AM
GASP

Quote:
gosh but like we spent hundreds of years looking up at the stars and wondering “is there anybody out there” and hoping and guessing and imagining

because we as a species were so lonely and we wanted friends so bad, we wanted to meet other species and we wanted to talk to them and we wanted to learn from them and to stop being the only people in the universe

and we started realizing that things were maybe not going so good for us— we got scared that we were going to blow each other up, we got scared that we were going to break our planet permanently, we got scared that in a hundred years we were all going to be dead and gone and even if there were other people out there, we’d never get to meet them

and then

we built robots?

and we gave them names and we gave them brains made out of silicon and we pretended they were people and we told them hey you wanna go exploring, and of course they did, because we had made them in our own image

and maybe in a hundred years we won’t be around any more, maybe yeah the planet will be a mess and we’ll all be dead, and if other people come from the stars we won’t be around to meet them and say hi! how are you! we’re people, too! you’re not alone any more!, maybe we’ll be gone

but we built robots, who have beat-up hulls and metal brains, and who have names; and if the other people come and say, who were these people? what were they like?

the robots can say, when they made us, they called us discovery; they called us curiosity; they called us explorer; they called us spirit. they must have thought that was important.

and they told us to tell you hello.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:09 PM
actually an eevee

man, between that and the xkcd earlier this week on the Philae lander, I am shedding all the science tears.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:10 PM
GASP

Quote:
A whole passel of good thoughts and wishes for good health to one of our iconic performers.

ETA: I read what I wrote above, and it seems so… Impersonal. Cold.
And I realized I wrote it that way because it would be too big a hurt.

I'm not ready for him to go. No way am I ready for him to go. Shatner... that would be an incredible bummer. Nichols, Koenig, Takei... my heart would break.

But Grandpa Leonard… I think I would be shattered for weeks.

Please get better, sir. We need you, and we love you.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:02 PM
Safe Space

That's worrisome.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:04 PM
GASP

He was hospitalized with chest pains today.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:05 PM
whatever it takes

Leonard Nimoy is on the very short list of People Who Are Not Allowed To Die.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
"You're walking through a desert level and you look down and you see a koopa troopa crawling towards you"
"A koopa troopa? What's that?"
"You know what a shellcreeper is? Same thing"
"I never seen a shellcreeper"
Old 11-08-2015, 11:47 AM
GASP

As requested...

Quote:
Originally Posted by entitled rando anon
Hey, hello, yes, I've written probably 750K of free fanfiction and original content in my lifetime, totally un-financially compensated. Information should be free. There are literally millions of people with FF-net and a03 accounts who agree with me Just wanted to remind you that if you can get paid for writing, great, but many, many people write for love alone, and a lot of the best writers only saw any publishing interest after they were dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Duane
Just for clarity’s sake, let me first say that I’ve got your 750K of combined output beat at the fanfic end alone – in works written between the 1970s and now, and almost entirely uncredited to my present identity. (But then I’m in my sixties and am speaking from the advantage of a long run in several fandoms.) Some day you may beat my million-and-a-quarter-plus words of fic, if your (creative) heart doesn’t give out. I wish you well on the journey: endurance is hard come by sometimes in the face of what we laughably call “real life”. As for original works done under my own name, I haven’t stopped to do a wordcount on those for some time now: they get totaled up using a different metric. I’m a writer, dammit, not a mathematician. Let someone else do a count.

“Information should be free?” Maybe. But should art? …When you do start making your living from it – assuming you someday go that road, assuming that you care to – come back and we’ll have this conversation again. Giving art for free, for love, willingly, is one thing. There are few more valuable gifts, either for the giver or the receiver. But insisting that it be free whether the artist wants it to be that way or not is likely to leave you with a lot of starving artists. Or no artists at all.

(You could also make a case that no art is free, regardless of whether the reader pays for it or not. The artist pays, in sweat and blood and tears and laughter that [if the work is done well] you’ll probably never see. Which is as it should be. That price is between the artist and their preferred deity, and no business of the viewer’s.)

“Writing for love alone”: It’s a luxury when writing is your chosen career path and you have a household to help support. What more than thirty years of professional writing has taught me, though – and others’ mileage varies – is that at the very least there must be very deep liking for the material or the project. To undertake writing or creative work under any other conditions for me inevitably leads to a perception of profound failure, regardless of how well the job pays up front or later. Work undertaken in love always works best. My best fiction, paid or unpaid, credited or not, has always been done from love: for somebody, for something, for a concept or a character or a franchise or a friend. Sometimes (when I’ve been unusually lucky) for all four at once. Sometimes I’ve even been paid for that work, too. Life can be unexpectedly good.

As for dead writers doing better than they could have while still on life: This is why it’s important to make sure your will’s sorted out. At least your heirs and assigns can benefit from the obit-driven bump in your sales. Or they’ll know they can publish your stuff with clear title after you’ve stopped breathing. (One of our best friends and favorite houseguests died intestate, leaving his literary heritage in the hands of family who misunderstood, feared and hated it. As a result we will never see his work in print again, and this is a cause of constant low-level grief to those of us whose lives were lit up by his. Ask Neil Gaiman: he knows all about it.)

…Did I miss anything? Oh yeah: checking my privilege. I do it every morning. I know I grew up with advantages others didn’t have, which have contributed to my life path and my (relative) success. Disadvantages, too: no surprise there, and it’s stuff I wouldn’t wish on anyone else. Nonetheless I’m mindful. Which is why I flip the tables as hard over my own unfinished fiction as over others’. Life is short, art is rare, and the very last thing I’d do is noodge another writer about where their stuff is, when some of mine is so delayed. Still, having found myself in possession of this ability and this situation, I feel a duty to make the best use of it I can in the face of circumstances that don’t always cooperate. There’s this at least: entropy is no respecter of privilege. All you can do is get up every morning and kick it in the slats as best you can, for money or not, by getting on with work.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:13 PM
actually an eevee

smiled at the entropy call-out
Old 11-11-2015, 07:26 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
I was 20 years old and unemployed when I thought it would be a great idea to join the Navy. The first Gulf war had wound down, so I figured I could do a three year stretch and get out before any further Global unpleasantness. I walked into the recruitment office and told the square-jawed cracker obsessive in the army uniform that I wanted to sign up for the Navy. "Why don't you join the Army? It's easier to get in." He asked. I told him I was set on the Navy, so he got a Navy cunt to come and see me. A couple of minutes later I'd fixed a date for an interview and was walking home with an information pack and dreams of the high seas.

A couple of days later I returned for my interview, carrying my still unopened information pack. The same Army cunt greeted me and said he'd call for the Navy guy.
"Sure you don't want to join the Army?" He asked.
"Quite sure."
"Fair enough. I'll get him. Just remember to call him Sir."

A minute later the Navy cunt turned up and told me to follow him. "Yes Sir!" I replied. He looked at me with utter malevolence and growled back:"You're not in the Navy yet, Son." To my right I could sense the khakied Cunt from the Army pissing himself laughing at me. The Bastard.

The following 90 minutes were fucking gruesome. The following is a selection of "highlights" from the interview.

Q) What are the disadvantages of being in the Navy?
A) You can't just leave when you want.

Q) Can you name any kind of Naval ships?
Now I could have said submarines, destroyers, frigates etc
Actual answer given........Battleships!!. The cunt nearly snapped his pen. "Son, the Royal Navy hasn't had a battleship in over 70 years." I looked at this bloke with over 20 years service and replied: "You sure?"

Q) You've applied to become a Communications Technician. What does a Communications Technician do?
A) He learns a foreign language.
Q) Err, yes, but why?
A) Well, let's say the ship's captain is going aboard a foreign ship, a Communications Technician goes with him to translate.
Q) What the hell are you going on about? A Communications Technician usually spends months at a time, in a submarine, intercepting coded signals and translating them.
I looked at him and replied: "What?....you mean like spying?"
I'd went in thinking I'd be handing the fucking Ferrero Richer around at assorted drinks parties, and was now under the impression I was James fucking Bond.

Q) Have you even read that information pack?
A) No.

Tags
ponies itt