The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM

I have very little hope for the 3DS DQ 1/2/3 ports making it over to NA.

But if they do, maybe we can convince Squeenix to port over the VC Final Fantasy titles?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 AM
Are You Sure About That?

They're already doing a FF Anniversary Collection, so no, probably not.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:16 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
They're already doing a FF Anniversary Collection, so no, probably not.
Was this ever actually announced?

I thought it was just a rumor sourced to VGLeaks. Searching for it, that's all that comes up for me.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Was this ever actually announced?

I thought it was just a rumor sourced to VGLeaks. Searching for it, that's all that comes up for me.
Hmm, oh well.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 PM
TARANTUL

It was a sad rumor made to create and then crush dreams, yes.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:27 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Nintendo of Japan put up the release pages for DQ1 and DQ2, and yeah they're definitely the weird looking mobile ports. The PS4 video looked like they fixed the visual weirdness, but these look the same as the mobile games. What's going on here...
Old 08-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Christmas Action Returns

I guess that explains the pricing differences. I've not looked at the images for the mobile games, but these ones aren't very appealing looking to me.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:37 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Nintendo of Japan put up the release pages for DQ1 and DQ2, and yeah they're definitely the weird looking mobile ports. The PS4 video looked like they fixed the visual weirdness, but these look the same as the mobile games. What's going on here...
3DS, eh.

Why not Switch, is what I want to know.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:18 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
3DS, eh.

Why not Switch, is what I want to know.
Probably because they see these as tied to DQ11, I would guess. In addition to now being a game you can buy with money, you could already unlock DQ1 for free through via DQ11. They might want to do the same thing with the Switch, and make DQ1 a free unlockable there, too.

So I would guess they're coming to Switch too, but not until DQ11 comes out, to keep DQ1 available as a free reward (that also serves as an ad for the two more expensive games).
Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Obsession or passion?

Quote:
Huh. Maybe different teams handling the ports? Seems weird when it should be easy to achieve a uniform look for these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
But if they do, maybe we can convince Squeenix to port over the VC Final Fantasy titles?
Even the Final Fantasy 1 remake port of a port remake hasn't made it out of Japan for some reason.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:47 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I went into the Japanese eShop to load the DQ1/2 screenshots on my 3DS to see if it looked any better on the system, but no. The world map castle sprites are definitely still an eye-crime. It's so weird that it's been years of DQ1-2 releases with some weird graphical proportion glitch, especially since they fixed it on the PS4.

Hopefully the Switch gets a release of this with the fixed PS4 visuals, so there can be portable versions of DQ1-2 that don't hurt to look at.

Unfortunately, I doubt the DQ3 enemy sprite animations will make it to any version, since there are ports of smartphone ports of pre-smartphone-cell-phone ports (<--this is where animation went away) of the gorgeous SFC remake. I wonder if the people working on these ports of ports of ports even know that these animations existed at one point... (Not that they would necessarily have the budget/staff resources to restore them if they did know.)

DQ11 doesn't have them in its 2D battles either, which has kind of soured me on that version of the game. The 2D version of the graphics at first made me think it was a return to DQ3 SFC, but instead it's a return to the pre-smartphone-cellphone-port of DQ3 on SFC which makes that mode an interesting curiosity for me instead of something I want to play.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:59 PM
so exciting!

Yeah, the 2D version is a neat little novelty but the more I saw of it the more it looked like a DQ3 romhack.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:02 PM

That is really disappointing. Heck, even the Game Boy Color version had animated sprites for DQIII!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:48 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
The 2D version of the (Dragon Quest XI) graphics at first made me think it was a return to DQ3 SFC, but instead it's a return to the pre-smartphone-cellphone-port of DQ3 on SFC which makes that mode an interesting curiosity for me instead of something I want to play.
I really can't say I'm surprised by that. I'd expect it was already a big challenge just to get the 3D and 2D maps running concurrently without any major problems. Game would probably never get finished if they had to go 1:1 on battle animations, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
That is really disappointing. Heck, even the Game Boy Color version had animated sprites for DQIII!
It also had sprites that were (mostly) not reflected, too. Like, the Hero always holds their sword in their right hand. Of course that's another corner the mobile version cut. =/

I may complain about how everybody on the late 90s handhelds turned cheap stupid and conveniently "forgot" most of those neat color limit workarounds from the NES days that gave the three color sprite limit the middle finger, but TOSE still did a damn impressive job fitting all those animations on a Game Boy Color cart.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Game would probably never get finished if they had to go 1:1 on battle animations, too.
Are you talking about timing? In the streams I've seen of the early game before you pick a mode, the battles are already always one or the other, so I don't think that was the issue.

It would take time and staffing resources to do sprite animations though, yeah. I was just hoping that they would do that.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:26 PM
hidden in snow

I finally finished DQVII 3DS. Boy, that game could use an editor. I finished up with 96 hours on the clock, though the last 5-8 or so was me grinding vocations while watching TV or listening to podcasts.

I'm not about to jump into the post-game content yet. The first 50 hours of this game I really enjoyed, but the second half should have been cut in my opinion. I played a bit of the PSX version when it was released, but didn't get far beyond the class change portion. I did like that the 3DS one was more streamlined, but it needed a Director's Cut, with the vocations moved to the beginning, and half the islands moved to post-game.

I've got DQVIII 3DS on my plate, but I think I need a bit more time between DQ's.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I finally finished DQVII 3DS. Boy, that game could use an editor. I finished up with 96 hours on the clock, though the last 5-8 or so was me grinding vocations while watching TV or listening to podcasts.

I'm not about to jump into the post-game content yet. The first 50 hours of this game I really enjoyed, but the second half should have been cut in my opinion. I played a bit of the PSX version when it was released, but didn't get far beyond the class change portion. I did like that the 3DS one was more streamlined, but it needed a Director's Cut, with the vocations moved to the beginning, and half the islands moved to post-game.

I've got DQVIII 3DS on my plate, but I think I need a bit more time between DQ's.
Not sure if you've played DQ8 before, but it moves at a much better pace. I felt the same way about DQ7 as you did, and I'll say I enjoyed DQ8 a ton more. It isn't without it's flaws of course, but is still a huge improvement over the former.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 PM
hidden in snow

I've played about 30 hours of DQ8 back when it was released, and another 20 hours when it came out again on iOS. I liked it much more, but just couldn't sink that much time into a single game at that time in my life. I've got much more commuting and evening time for portable games now that I'm a traveling consultant, so I expect this time I'll go farther.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 PM
Programmed to Jingle

DQ8 is the only game I can think of where I spent 80 hours playing it and was then surprised and a little disappointed to learn I was at the end of the game.

Which is not to complain about it’s finale feeling unsatisfying or abrupt so much as I was engrossed.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:51 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Neither of you are wrong, but I still sure as heck wouldn't dive right in to 8 after finishing 7. DQ games (or, at least, everything post-3) shouldn't be played back-to-back.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 AM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Neither of you are wrong, but I still sure as heck wouldn't dive right in to 8 after finishing 7. DQ games (or, at least, everything post-3) shouldn't be played back-to-back.
That was certainly my experience when I ran out to buy and start DQ5 right after finishing and loving 4. Got a few hours in and the burnout from 4 carried over so I never picked it up again.

I should probably pick it up on iOS but the Squeenix tax has kept me from doing so thus far.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Counter point, after choking down the last thirty hours of VII, I think the best thing you can do is cleanse your palate with a better DQ game!
Old 10-13-2017, 09:31 AM

I love Dragon Quest, but I would never do them back-to-back. Especially with the longer, more exhausting entries.

Still love Dragon Quest VII, though. I've been chipping away at it for a while, and the structure makes it easy to drop for a bit and come back a few months later and churn out another 10 hours or so. (Ys VIII has me distracted right now.)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Outer Space Man

Well, I finished Dragon Quest 7 yesterday. I was initially planning on doing the endgame, but I'm so done with the game I was just like "Nope, gonna look that shit up on youtube or something." I do like the game, but man is it a slog. It's one of the only two games I haven't done the postgame for, the other being 5. 5's just doesn't seem that interesting from the bits I know about it. 4 really had the best postgame, what with recruiting Psaro and gearing him, then wrapping up the lingering story bits for a different ending.
One other issue I have with 7 is I feel it lacks a little of the "exploration of a wide world" aspect that I love with other DQ's. I know the game focuses on vignettes, but 6 and 9 did the same thing and still had an "explore the whole world" feeling that's hard and intangible to describe, but I really missed it. I feel that the game could have worked in that regard had you been unable to explore the present world until you've restored all the continents, and then you explore that new world that you made, instead of exploring a present day location the moment you save it. That could have been really cool. But alas, that was not to be.
I have no plans on starting 8 anytime soon, but there's a part of me that's so excited to get started (I've never played it yet) that I've already started looking at character builds and such. I'm planning to play at least 5 non-dq games before I get to 8, so I have no idea why I'm doing this.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
DQ games (or, at least, everything post-3) shouldn't be played back-to-back.
Definitely agree with this. Around the time I played Dragon Quest VI I was also replaying some previous DS releases, and I burned out hard.

Tags
a slime draws near! , abandon all hope , akira toriyama , but thou must , cor blimey , dargon quest , dragon quest , here thra be dargons , japan exclusive , puff puff , slime puns , square enix , stairs command , talking slime , town of assaram , unbridled joy , where's dqviii hd , yuji horii