The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Default Dungeons and Dragons Characters Idea Thread

On a walk home from work, JBear and I spent most of the walk just trading ideas for D&D characters. I knew this needed to be a thread.

A brave, young hero setting out in the world for the first time and his/her helicopter parent.

A bard who rides a penny farthing. She circles the scene of the battle, singing songs through a megaphone.

A cross classer who pretends to be two completely different characters by constantly saying "Oh, I'll go get him," going into the bushes and coming out in a different costume.

A ventriloquist. The ventriloquist is a wizard but his dummy's a barbarian.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Prancing in the rain

Location: Maryland, right next to that capital of the U.S. thing.

This is a very bad thread for me because I might end up actually attempting to see if the ideas suggested in this thread can be made mechanically functional.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:33 PM
till the sheriff stops by

I think this is a GREAT thread for you.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:48 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

All great ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
A bard who rides a penny farthing. She circles the scene of the battle, singing songs through a megaphone.
Is this one supposed to draw all of the aggro? Also, what race would the bard be?
Old 08-15-2017, 10:11 PM

Sometimes people ask me, where do you get your ideas?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:02 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
Sometimes people ask me, where do you get your ideas?

Old 08-16-2017, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
A cross classer who pretends to be two completely different characters by constantly saying "Oh, I'll go get him," going into the bushes and coming out in a different costume.
That's officially its own class!
Old 08-16-2017, 01:20 AM
We just don't know.

The slightly less creative mechanical idea I keep wanting to play is the Bearbarian (barbarian/moon druid dual class with bear spirit barb features and bear shape-shifting). The background flavor is that he's a bear.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 AM
Yes, let's feast!

An evangelical paladin. He forces people to convert to his religion before he will lay on hands.

I read this somewhere, and I liked it so well that I ran it once. The game never really got off the ground, but I did score one convert.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:28 AM
Thanks for noticing me

A monk who has taken many vows, such as a Vow of Celibacy. He starts making up vows to get out of doing dangerous stuff for the party. For example, he has taken a Vow of Never Being First in Marching Order.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Programmed to Jingle

The one and only time I played D&D it was with a bard who was on a quest to figure out how to sing the brown note.

He also had a club he called The Smashmouth
Old 08-16-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
The slightly less creative mechanical idea I keep wanting to play is the Bearbarian (barbarian/moon druid dual class with bear spirit barb features and bear shape-shifting). The background flavor is that he's a bear.
I swear I've seen this before with the bear taking disguise skill points and eventually becoming a lord of a manor.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:56 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Terribly sorry, Sir Bearington.

I have a friend who wants to play an Awakened monkey in some capacity.

In 4e I genned Havoc, the fey-corgi Warlord. "CRY ME! AND LET SLIP... ME!"

The Healbot, a warforged cleric.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:59 AM
It's all good, man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
A monk who has taken many vows, such as a Vow of Celibacy. He starts making up vows to get out of doing dangerous stuff for the party. For example, he has taken a Vow of Never Being First in Marching Order.
One of my players is a monk who took a vow of silence, which ended after a couple months because he was tired of having to mime everything and being left out of important conversations
Old 08-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
One of my players is a monk who took a vow of silence, which ended after a couple months because he was tired of having to mime everything and being left out of important conversations
He should have a small chalkboard tied around his neck.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:35 PM
It's all good, man

He had a set of index cards with pre-written questions and statements but they weren't getting the job done.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:01 PM
King Of Space-Time

Stone Giant Paladin who keeps his charger in a special hip pouch as it doubles as his holy icon.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM

I'm not a D&D guy, but I run FATE games and some of the characters my players and I have come up with are pretty great.

- Rodrick Humpdiggery. I man who, at his wife divorcing him, went out and got trashed at a bar. On his way home he was run over and died. However, Dionysus offered him a second chance at life on the condition that he spread revelry and never sobered up because the hangover would kill him.

- Carlyle Fingerbeam. A rookie cop who was promoted to police chief because his ability to shoot off his fingers as missiles saved the police HQ. However, he only gets 10 shots total. (He's a character in our current campaign. 4 fingers left, yowch).

- The Weakest Man. The weakest man in the world, whose abilities are based on making his foes feel pity.

- Clunkered Hoedown. A farmhand who knows everything about milk.

- Guitaromancer. A demon who was summoned to help a man make it big in the music industry. However, his band leader died of a drug overdose and with the demon contract over Guitaromancer could do what he wanted. He ends up becoming the new front man.

- Fistem Furshur. A half fox, half man who is extremely impulsive and terrible with money.

Some NPCs,

- Donatello Vespuci. A man who wants to become the head of the mafia and is most proficient at pretending to be other people. Definitely my players' favourite character in the game.

- Gloppy Beanking. The scariest man in the world. He makes his money working TV shows, birthday parties, going on stage at Halloween and other things like that.

- Cyclonius Mundane. A man with an extremely stressful office job who works as a demolition guy at night to blow off steam.

YE
Old 10-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

-A heavily muscled halfling druid with dire rat animal companions bigger than them. Bonus points if you end up the most competent front line fighter in the group before any supernatural powers.

-"Hero" who is only interested in messing with other people's plans, and only goes after bad guys because they're more socially acceptable to screw over. They never really bother to to apprehend or slay any bad guys, because then who would come up with plans to mess with? Accompanied by a goblin retinue.

-Princeling of a land of blood-soaked politics where the throne can only be inherited by the last surviving child of the previous ruler. Not interested in inheriting, but goes adventuring just to make it as annoying as possible for all prospective assassins to get to them.

-Freelance dominatrix/monk/mafia boss.

-Unassuming gnome magician who can morph into a horrifying monster. Eats people in monster form, always very casual about it. Monster form is either based on a fever dream or a physical manifestation of the spirit that saved that sustained the gnome through that illness.

-Warlock whose mind is a perfect transmitter for the powers of elder gods. Connects to a sleeping god and tries very, very hard not accidentally connect to a different one or to wake up their "patron" despite drawing power from it and accidentally causing it to partially manifest in our world.

-Highly skilled and effective ninja, who is highly skilled and effective despite being a chainsmoking functional alcoholic.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:44 PM
Thanks for noticing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post

-Freelance dominatrix/monk/mafia boss.
You did this one already!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 PM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

To be fair, Soli, there's only one in there I haven't played.

-Guy whose main ability is yelling at people until they do what he says. Not magically or anything, he's just a very loud and persistent yeller.

-Magician whose spells all come from magic rings, but they're constrained to the old "one magic ring per hand" rule so they're constantly switching out their rings.

-Goblin high priest. Not of anything, just a goblin in vestments it made out of rags and trash. Try not to share a language with the rest of the party.

Tags
penalty for being bard