The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default Drinking Time! Talking about Alcoholic Beverages

Inspired by the booze talk over in the Thread of Random Discontent

I myself prefer Ciders, especially Fox Barrel a Northern California Brewer... When I do drink beer though I prefer dark beers, stouts and such. I'm an avid consumer of Guinness but there are some others that I drink as well.

When it comes to wines for white it's usually a Chardonnay and red is either Pinot Noir or Syrah

and you?
Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
borgn

Woodchuck Green Apple cider is exquisite. I usually like ales for beer - not a huge fan of the bitterness of stouts. Or alcohol in general, which is why I'm a Girl Drink Drunk, with a shot of Jaeger chased with an amaretto sour being a club favorite.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Woodchuck Green Apple cider is exquisite. I usually like ales for beer - not a huge fan of the bitterness of stouts. Or alcohol in general, which is why I'm a Girl Drink Drunk, with a shot of Jaeger chased with an amaretto sour being a club favorite.
I'm quite fond of Amaretto myself though I usually just drink it with milk, soy or almond if I can get it. At bars I'm a a whiskey and ginger guy or highballs.

I've drank Woodchuck ciders but found them too sweet and not as flavorful as Fox Barrel, but then I don't know if you can find Fox Barrel outside of CA... There are a number of British Ciders that are good. Speaking of Ciders and Stouts a Snakebite is a great drink! Guinness Drought floated on top of cider
Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 PM

Orange vodka + orange juice + orange soda = pretty cool stuff bro

I drink like once or twice a year, so I'll now exit this thread...
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
Your life is forfeit

I don't drink much, but there are a few libations I cannot resist:
  • Good red wine. "Good" meaning neither sweet nor vinegary; I prefer my wine dry and earthy. Give me tannins or give me water!
  • A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.
  • Tanqueray Rangpur and tonic with a wedge of lime.

Also, I had a cocktail the other night which was fantastic. It consisted of bourbon, vermouth, and bitters. Damn strong, though. I sipped at it slowly over the course of a huge, heavy, high-fat meal and it still knocked me for a loop. I assume this is because I never drink whiskey. I'd love to have it again sometime, but I don't know which specific bourbon and vermouth were involved, and that makes all the difference.

I have completely lost my taste for white wine and anything involving vodka, up to and including white russians.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
[*]A Pimm's cup. Almost no one makes these, so finding a good one is always a treat.
I've never heard of this what is it? And talking about finding places that make drinks, I've learned that if you have to tell the Bartender how to make your drink you're better off ordering something else, and finding a better bar!
Old 01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
I have completely lost my taste for white wine and anything involving vodka, up to and including white russians.
Oh that is...that is just a damn shame.

Anyway!

Beers:
- Basically any kind of New Belgium, but Fat Tire and 1554 stand out.
- Newcastle.
- Stella Artois.
- Sam Adams.
- Guiness.
- Boddington's.
- Heinenken (is that how you spell it?) and St. Pauli Girl are okay, but I generally speaking don't care for lagers. To me they taste like...imagine you go to put the trash out on trash day, and you pick up the bag and it's leaking. Like there was something wet in there and now it's dripping out of the bag after marinating in garbage for a while. Imagine someone took that water, ran it through a purifier, and then made beer out of it somehow. That's what lager tastes like to me. The actual taste is fine...it's just that after taste that lager has. I can't stand it. I remember someone brought some particularly shitty lager to a party once and I was chasing swigs of beer with shots just to kill the taste. I didn't chase every swig mind you; that's just insane. But the taste was so awful that I'd rather have burning in my throat than the aftertaste of this stuff.

So yeah. Fuck lagers.

Hard Stuff:
Whiskey and/or Scotch mostly. Pretty much any kind will do, but I have some favorites. J&B and Jameson's are probably my favorite/reasonably priced scotch/whiskey, but Maker's Mark and Johnny Walker are good too and in roughly the same price range. If I'm going for higher end stuff, Macallan/Glenlivet/Johnny Walker Green (or blue if I'm feeling like going broke) will get the job done. Rum is kind of gross, and vodka I can barely drink anymore after one particularly bad evening. Tequila is kind of gross too, but I'm seeing an old friend this weekend and they assure me that I just haven't been drinking the right stuff. So maybe I'll change my mind in a few days? Bourbon is amazing but I don't know a lot about it. I do know that I like Bulleit Bourbon and it's relatively cheap, so I get that a lot. If I need whiskey for mixed drinks, I usually go with Seagrams or Crown Royal or maaaayyyybbbbeee Jack Daniels or Jim Beam since those are cheap.

Drinking. It's Fun!™
Old 01-20-2010, 02:30 PM
borgn

It's no surprise that my favorite wine is ice wine, which is so sweet it tastes like slightly alcoholic grape jelly. They say it's a dessert wine, but I'll have it anytime. Plum wine's a close second.

I really, really love high-quality sake that tastes like nothing so much as water with a slight warmth in the aftertaste.
You are Destiny.

While only technically alcoholic, this is perhaps the most concentrated form of joy you can get without drugs.

Ales. Vodka, Scotch. Starting to get a taste for wine, which I'm sure will bankrupt me.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMX View Post
While only technically alcoholic, this is perhaps the most concentrated form of joy you can get without drugs.

Ales. Vodka, Scotch. Starting to get a taste for wine, which I'm sure will bankrupt me.
OOOOH that sounds so tasty
Old 05-31-2010, 08:38 PM
There he is!

I spent way too much money stocking my liquor cabinet today. I picked up:

- Forty Creek Canadian whiskey: the best Canadian whiskey available
- Maker's Mark
- Cointreau
- Stolichnaya: Because I figure the Soviets knew their vodka
- Havana Club white: which is illegal for you Americans!
- Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth: because I already had dry
- Dr. McGillicuddy's peach schnapps

So many cocktails to try!

edit: because it's one thing I'm missing: what's a good, reasonably-priced tequila?

Last edited by ajr82; 05-31-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Love and Peace

I'm not gonna lie, the talk in the other thread of how shitty Japanese beer is made me mentally deduct points from Japan in the "Places to Visit Someday" list.

Beers I like (not a complete list, obviously):

Kokanee
Stella Artois
Heineken
Newcastle (all varieties except dark)

Beers that are okay:

Sleeman's Honey Brown
Corona
Molson Canadian
Grolsh (This is the only one on the "okay" list I could find in the U.K.)

And if you're ever in Canada and you need to try a terrible, terrible beer, look for Le Fin Du Monde. It's the one with Satan paddling a canoe on the label!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Last night I had half a glass of wine with a small, early supper and fell asleep half an hour later, missing a meeting with friends. I'm skinny and I do sleep and rise a bit early, but the speed I fell asleep still caught me by surprise. I don't know if it's a sign of ageing or chemical imbalance, but for now I know that if I want to be useful at night I probably shouldn't have alcohol in the evening.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:30 AM
We just don't know.

So I got a bottle of (and subsquently drank a glass of) Captain Morgan's Private Stock. I was about to add a bit of sugar and lemon, but I tried it straight first and damn, that stuff is smooth. And sweet! Very sweet. I think I did a good decision.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 AM
We Hardly Knew Ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I think I did a good decision.
Darn right. I've only had it a couple times, but I don't mind calling it my favorite hard liquor to take straight. Good, good stuff.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Fyi

DOn't know if anyone saw it so I'll just mention it here that I've started a thread just for wine
Old 12-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

So which thread does port go in? Because at a party this weekend, I had some white port, which was not a thing I knew existed. It was tasty! Super fruity, with honey notes.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:48 AM
Your life is forfeit

It took me about three tries to get used to Campari/Negronis. Now I love the taste.

It proved really damn hard to get a Manhattan in Tokyo (no one stocks Angostura) but someone did mix me a Godfather instead. It was decent.

I also bought a bottle of Suntory Hakushu single-malt at the airport for $30. God bless the duty-free shop.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:30 AM
Banned

My personal favorite choice from duty free is Taketsuru 18.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Your life is forfeit

OK. I had a budget of $30, so.

Also of note from Tokyo: I went back to the retro game bar Muteki Mario (now called "Star Club" because Nintendo said, "Um, hey guys...."), one of those classic game bars where the bartender serves themed drinks. Muteki Koopa, Muteki Peach, etc. You can ask for custom drinks (basically, just shout "Muteki x" and he'll make something up). So here's what he came up with for me:

Muteki Lilith (as in, Evangelion Lilith)
Suze, Calpis, gin. He left in the cocktail stirrer as an ersatz Lance of Longinus. Not a bad drink altogether; the fizz of the Calpis gave it a slightly unpleasant, sour, beer-like head, but once that dissipated it was a good mix of sweet, sour, and bitter.

Muteki Metroid
I was kind of hoping for some kind of Midori drink with cherries in it, but he came up with something better albeit colored more in line with Samus' power suit: Suze and Campari in orange juice. Bitter initial taste, refreshing as you drink it, slightly astringent finish. Good stuff.

The bartender told me in halting English "Please try another cocktail!" as I left, but unfortunately I didn't make it back my last night in town as I was sick and worn down from a week of hard work. Next year, though, I'll see what he comes up with for a Muteki Triforce and a Muteki Spelunker.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Banned

Yeah, IIRC Taketsuru 18 costs $60 at duty free...or was that the 21? Last July I took back two bottles of 21 and one of 18, and I could tell you how much I paid in town for one but I'd rather not. They also have Taketsuru 12 for $30 in town but that wasn't at duty free. I'd like to try the Hibiki sometime soon. The one I linked upthread is pretty great, probably as good as the Taketsuru but without the oaky, honey flavor.

I haven't been back to B' in Nakano since...last TGS. I think they're still there but the atmosphere is kinda eh. There's not much camaraderie.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:49 PM
Sudden chomper

Cocktail party! Well, actually it was just a regular dinner with some friends, but we started off with a round of cocktails. Made up a margarita for my girlfriend, but that's old news because we'd both had them before. Managed to win over my friend's finacée with a Manhattan, something she had never tried, which she found much to her liking. Made my friend a Negroni, which he took to immediately, asking for a second as soon as it was finished. He even used some Campari to clean out the frying pan that our lamb was cooked in to make a sauce, so he clearly is a fan of the stuff. For myself, I made a Boulevardier using 2:1:1 proportions, which was still too much Campari for my liking. In fact, I'm starting to think that any Campari is too much for my liking. It was definitely less medicinal than the classic Negroni, but I couldn't really taste the bourbon and the herby taste of the Campari still grated on me. Don't think I'll be pursuing those drinks again in the near future, I'll just let my friend drink his way through my bottle of Campari whenever he comes to visit.

Picked up a small bottle of brandy today, but didn't get farther than smelling it. Seems promising!
Old 12-17-2013, 06:00 AM
Your life is forfeit

Champagne cocktails are often called "_______ royales" -- with cassis liqueur it's a Kir Royale, add Pimm's and it's a Pimm's Royale, etc. I vote to rename mimosas "screwdriver royales." Who's with me?
Old 12-17-2013, 06:15 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Champagne cocktails are often called "_______ royales" -- with cassis liqueur it's a Kir Royale, add Pimm's and it's a Pimm's Royale, etc. I vote to rename mimosas "screwdriver royales." Who's with me?
YOU WALK ALONE.

it's funny that champagne drinks are called Royales, since that's also a name for drinks made with whiskies and a whole egg. So creamy.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:58 AM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

I tried hot buttered rum for the first time last night, and it was pretty darn tasty!
Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 AM
Sudden chomper

Last night's experiment was the Ward 8, a mix of rye, orange juice, lemon juice and grenadine. Didn't turn my world upside-down, but it was still a pretty enjoyable drink. I used the Old Overholt, and the sweetness of the fruit juices cut back on the spiciness enough that it didn't overpower everything.

Actually, I'm starting to think that I should just mix the Overholt with regular Canadian Club in equal parts. The blandness of the latter might do some good to tame the overbearing nature of the Overholt and I might end up with something close to a balanced rye. I'll try that next time I make a Manhattan and report back.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:11 PM
:3

Pronouns: he/him

Since hot buttered rum is catching on a bit around here: Is there anything you can substitute for all that water that doesn't change the flavor of the drink too much? The holidays bring hot cider to mind, but I don't think that would go with the butter mix very well.

I did see the Rum Cow recipe Raider posted on the last page, but at that point it would be a different drink altogether.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:26 PM
There he is!

I got a copy of Beachbum Berry Remixed, so I'm excited for unseasonable Tiki times.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
not talking tim

I've just discovered Three Olives' "Dude," a Mountain-Dew-flavored vodka. It's exactly what you'd expect. I made myself a cosbropolitan earlier in the evening and it was refreshingly xtreme. If I pick up some blackberry brandy, I'll try a Zambrodian next.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 AM
POPE'S MEGA SQUID THRUST

Pronouns: FUCK IT SHIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
I got a copy of Beachbum Berry Remixed, so I'm excited for unseasonable Tiki times.
Welcome to the rabbit hole! Soon you will be fixing shit that calls for freezing crushed ice in strange geometric shapes and measuring out Pernod with an eyedropper.

Tags
alcohol , classy shit , im drnuk already , intoxication nation