The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

My girlfriend Karen recently posted pictures of her Skyward Sword Zelda custom Amiibo that she made. It came out pretty great.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:57 PM
Breath of Fur

That's pretty impressive work!
Old 02-07-2015, 04:59 PM
#deadfish2017

That came out really great. I love what people have done with Amiibos.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Banned

Loki drew me a friggin sweet avatar!!!

BEFORE

AFTER

Best twenty bucks I ever spent! Thanks for the discount dude!!
Old 02-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

Now I want one. /throws hat straight at the ground

Last edited by Balrog; 02-10-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 PM
This Guy

I decided to again try to take my first completed novel rough draft and actually type it. Unfortunately, I started writing it as a freshman in high school and finished as a sophomore in college, all my writing time being when I should have been taking notes in class or whatever. So it was plotted and partially (hand) written by a distracted fifteen year old. It is not good. Or legible. I am not attempted to edit it, much. I just want to get typed so I could theoretically work on fixing it. After a few chapters, I think I need to abandon it again and work on something that might be worthwhile. The thing is, I still like the world and characters I've got here, but almost none of the writing is worth a shit.

I do get to see what 15 year old was into, which was apparently scared girls with green eyes who mocked me to my face before we boned.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM
if-then-eels

I did some Genesis arrangements of Mario songs recently:

Dire Dire Docks
Gusty Garden Galaxy
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Hungry in Dungeon

I guess I should have thrown up the batsignal here when I was looking for someone to arrange an NES soundtrack Genesis style. That's nice work, muteKi.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:48 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
The thing is, I still like the world and characters I've got here, but almost none of the writing is worth a shit.
No rule saying you can't triage out the decent ideas in the world and characters and just start a completely new version from there...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Loki drew me a friggin sweet avatar!!!

BEFORE

AFTER

Best twenty bucks I ever spent! Thanks for the discount dude!!
duuuude!!!

edit: wait a tick

edit 2: There we go, the color disparity was bothering me:

edit 3: A bit of cropping to show more detail...

There, now Loki's art is ruined professionally.

edit 4: Let's Play Add To This Image (starring TKFlash)

Last edited by Guild; 02-16-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:53 PM
#deadfish2017

The color disparity was the point/an in-joke.

I do like GenieFlash tho. Very slinky.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:07 PM
TARANTUL

I assumed it was Ghost Flash.
Old 02-16-2015, 11:36 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I assumed it was Ghost Flash.
Is that racist?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:14 AM
Indecisive Epicure

My sis has gotten really into sculpting lately, and came to me for advise on how to sell them, despite my not being very knowledgable in that field. Still, I recommended Etsy to her, and advised that I'd help her set it up whenever she's ready to. She's been making a lot of different things, some examples here:

Anyways, she's wanting to do a lot of Digimon/Pokemon/MLP and such things, but is extra paranoid about selling IP products, and came to me for advise. I told her that isn't something she should have to worry about on the scale she's expecting to operate on, but told her I'd go ahead and ask for any advise on the subject here, since I know there's at least a couple tyrants that have some experience selling "fan merchandise."
Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Not a Beer

Luck Dragon! Sweet!

(I'm not an expert on selling fan art/crafts, but it does seem that *most* companies will overlook it as long everything is one-off hand made, as opposed to selling something manufactured.)
Old 03-01-2015, 11:50 AM
Find Your Reason

After a cursory search, there doesn't seem to be a thread about this, so I'll just ask as a general question:

What are recommendations for entry-level-but-will-last-me-a-long-time digital artwork tablets for the PC? I'm looking to buy something at/under $100 within the next couple of days, with pressure-sensitive styli that can play nice with Adobe Photoshop CS2 right out of the box (not just for brush size, but also for stuff like the level of opacity depending on the pressure; I'm used to shading with pencil, charcoal, and pastel by pressing hard or with a feather-touch on the paper), and that doesn't mind me resting my hand on the tablet for fine-detail drawing. I think the $99 and $80 Wacoms can do the job, and while wireless or multi-touch aren't necessary I will defer to more experienced digital artists about their usefulness.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:47 PM
Find Your Reason

An additional question about digital painting:

Like I said above, I'm used to shading with pencils, pastels, and charcoal, and then using a q-tip, paper tissue, a paper-tip smudge tool, or my own fingertip to spread the powder over the surface into a very fine, very smooth gradient. Even if I end up with harsh gradients, eraser cushions are very useful to equalize them into smooth ones. I've tried various PS tools to different effect to accomplish the same thing in my digital enhancements, but the result is either oily-looking and crude (like the actual Smudge tool) or imprecise and coarse (playing around with the brush/pencil tool's Opacity). Is there a tip/hint for doing the same kind of faded/gradient physical shading in Photoshop or similar, especially when I start using a tablet?
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
Neat, I've always liked this kind of story . Just to clarify, the procedure is meant to be unambiguously good and necessary? The behavioral shift in the end seems a bit extreme if it's the case, but I'm not sure.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Crossposting from Tech Support:

Has anyone used a Huion H610 Pro graphics tablet with Photoshop on Windows? After a lack of recommendations above, I bought one sight-unseen and... well.

Well.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Pretty nice.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
Neat, I've always liked this kind of story . Just to clarify, the procedure is meant to be unambiguously good and necessary? The behavioral shift in the end seems a bit extreme if it's the case, but I'm not sure.
the portrayal of pain is the inaccurate part imho, but who knows, everyone's reaction could be different

10/10 would undergo again
Old 03-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Butternut Squash

So uh.

I can't find a place to put this, but I made a blog. I'd love it if you guys could help submit some things. The premise - as the url implies - is things that look like they have faces.

facesonsomeplaces.wordpress.com
Old 03-24-2015, 07:58 PM
actually an eevee

that's great! I'll be keeping my eyes open. (my favorite is the sink; it's a snail!)

[edit-already I saw a tweet that might be a good repost... https://twitter.com/crashwong/status/578700915349135360 ]

Last edited by Lady; 03-24-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 PM
Random guy

Quote:
I hope you're keeping statistics on how many people chose to go through versus those who didn't. I'm in the second category. Does that make me an awful person?
Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
So uh.

I can't find a place to put this, but I made a blog. I'd love it if you guys could help submit some things. The premise - as the url implies - is things that look like they have faces.

facesonsomeplaces.wordpress.com
pareidolia.com, now with actual content...
Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 PM
contains words & diagrams

I wanna put some words on the internet about vidcons. I'm looking for advice on which platform is generally considered the best I suppose! Do I make a tumblr cause that's what all the cool kids these days use and might actually make sharing my dumb words easier? Or do I go with something else that's less of an insane wreck w/r/t UI and overall functionality. I have very little experience actually doing what I guess you'd call blogging, just reading them.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:11 PM
Not a Beer

You could always set up a Wordpress (for actual comments functionality & such) and then have it cross-post to a tumblr. Not that I've actually used wordpress myself. Last time I did significant blogging it was on LiveJournal, so, uh...
Old 09-09-2015, 12:33 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I've had an idea keep going around in circles in my head off an on for a few months at work now. The setting is a city-state filled with superheroes and villains that has carefully cultivated a sort of theme park atmosphere for itself, making huge amounts of money off tourism because it's one of the few places in the world where superpowered people are allowed to run around where regular people can see them (its neighbor on one side is a pseudo-USSR that uses its powered population in its military, for comparison, and the neighbor on the other side keeps their masks in ivory towers away from the common folk). The whole thing was carefully arranged by the Night Mayor of Borderline City, Bureaucraton, a former hero who went back in time to be able to rule as lord of the villains, and now the villains are more invested in maintaining the practically carefree atmosphere of the city than the heroes are. Supervillains conquering the world - or at least trying to - is the lifeblood of Borderline City, and the heroes are happy to play along comic book-style, punching out a few minions, foiling plans, and putting the villains in easily-escaped jails so they can do it all again a few weeks later.

Once in a while (and here the actual story ideas start), a villain gets it in their head that they could do much better for themselves with plans a little less hot-headed, a little less grandiose, and that's when trouble starts. See, by making a city amenable to superheroes/villains straight out of a comic book, Borderline City has all but eliminated more banal crimes; regular muggers, gangs, drug dealers, and rapists are all but unknown in the city, because who wants to take those kinds of risks when there's a decent chance your next victim will have superpowers? But when a villain realizes there's real profit and power to be found in these crimes - a mad scientist flooding the streets with hyperaddictive drugs, a telepath starting a human trafficking ring - the heroes start going grim and gritty too, and things get real bad for everyone. In an attempt to head off these bad apples before they ruin things for all villainkind the villains of Borderline City are self-policing via a near-mythical group of villain vigilantes known as the Swords of Damocles.

These Swords are, of course, the "good guys" of these stories. Viewpoint character would be, again pretty obviously, a rookie Sword. Possibly just for the first story, though; I think one of the things that makes the Swords of Damocles the stuff of urban legend is that they aren't an organized group, but rather whatever villains happen to be particularly affected by a comrade turning from grand schemes to base evil. It's late and I'm not explaining that well, but I think my idea's gotten through.

I like the idea behind that group name, but goodness is it hammy. Also, full disclosure: this is all a spinoff idea of an old roleplaying campaign I played in. And there Bureaucraton was known as the Evil Mayor of BC. I have no idea how we never thought of the Night Mayor pun back when we were playing.

Now tonight I've had another idea I expect I'll find nearly as compelling: a literal apocalypse starts on Earth when a person is possessed by a cthulhoid entity - they wipe a medium-sized city off the map, warped husks of the former inhabitants start wandering around, and anyone living who gets too close hears maddening psychic whispers that the blight will spread. Salvation of a sort appears when this creepy eye appears on all TVs, saying it represents a Council of powers opposed to the being(s) attempting to destroy the world. The eye explains that this Council wants to see humanity continue to thrive but can't directly intervene so they promise to lend their power to some prime number of humans to combat the Invader and the Hell on Earth it has created.

Sadly, one of the emissaries sent to choose an Avatar is waylaid by a common thug and the sacred artifacts it carries are stolen. Despite this, the other chosen avatars of the Council are nevertheless able to stop the Invader, and a new golden age begins for humanity. Fast forward a few decades or centuries: the Avatars, granted immortality by the Council, are worshiped as gods and under their guidance humanity has spread throughout the solar system. Many people have a touch of the Avatars' power flowing through them now, making them a half-step above humanity. But idiosyncrasies start to appear, showing to those who can interpret the signs that the Council and their Avatars maybe aren't the benevolent gods they set themselves up to be.

The only person who can see the signs? The Thief who originally mugged one of the Council's emissaries. He still remembers the ruin created by the Invader, and every time he looks around and sees the underbelly of this new solar society compared to the Avatars' ivory towers and lotus-eating worshippers, he becomes more and more suspicious. Eventually he comes to a realization: the other Avatars were not chosen for their potential for heroism or saintly love of their fellow man, but for how easily the Council could manipulate them and use them to rule humanity. Now he's the only person in the solar system with the power to stand up to the Avatars and cut off the Council's connection to this reality.

Writing this out, I like the idea that the Thief joined in the fight against the Invader and is accepted as an Avatar despite obviously being the odd man out in the group - rather than build himself a kingdom of worshipers he cultivates no church and claims no demesne beyond the walls of his own ship, traveling from colony to planet to colony and interacting equally with people of every social band.

If I go with that, the story would be about the Thief navigating the politics of being an Avatar while also setting up a clandestine cult of agents imbued with his power (or someone's, at least - with how humanity is currently being manipulated by the utterly alien Council and their Avatar puppets, maybe the Invader had a point about humanity needing to be destroyed?) that can disrupt the various machinations of the other Avatars.

Wow, this attempt to sum up a couple story ideas I have has turned into one hell of a wall of text. I shouldn't be allowed to post this late at night.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:02 PM
actually an eevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
We were at Barnes & Noble yesterday, and after we got home, I looked up all the books I had been interested in to add to my Christmas wishlist, since we're starting to get into Santa Law/birthday law territory. Except I couldn't find this one really awesome coloring book. We went back today to go ahead and get a copy, but now looking through it, it's almost too pretty to mark on...
I got over my disinclination of marking on this page and started coloring this weekend.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:38 PM
#deadfish2017

Wow!!

Tags
not worth its own thread