The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 10-07-2015, 02:10 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointzeroeight View Post
http://camelcamelcamel.com/ does pretty much that. You can associate it with your Amazon account so if you put something on your wish list its automagically on there.
Do you use it regularly? I'm kinda hesitant to give my private data to just any site. They're not too spammy, are they?

In other news, there's a new Videogame Bundle over at Story Bundle, featuring Game Boy World 1989 by Fearless Leader at the >$12 tier.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:58 AM
A real human being

I get an email maybe once every week or two. I don't use it much for ebooks, but I really should. You don't even give them your info really, it links in with Amazon services.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:40 AM
Out Of Warranty

I tried using camelcamelcamel to set an alert in a kindle book, and all I got was this message:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelcamelcamel
We're sorry, but due to Amazon not allowing us to track "Kindle Edition" products, we don't have any price data for this product.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:42 AM
A real human being

Ah crap. It works for everything else! I had never tried for kindle books.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:06 AM
Banned

FWIW, you can add stuff to your Amazon wishlist and it will tell you the percentage change in price (if any) relative to the price it was when you added it. OTOH, I quit looking a while back because I never saw any of the Kindle books I was tracking change price.

It's kind of annoying because I feel like most of the stuff I want to read on Kindle is overpriced, OTOH I'm paying a lot less for books in Spanish than I did when I had to buy print copies, which means that I can afford to read in Spanish again.

On that note, does anyone know if availability of Kindle titles varies depending on whether you're on Amazon US or some other country's Amazon site? I've been wondering if it's worth my while to plumb Amazon.es for Spanish-language nonfiction that might not be on the US site.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:39 PM
Unreliable Narrator

You can see the price drop sometimes if the Kindle book price drops when the book comes out in paperback. I have a Kindle wishlist and over a year catch maybe one or two books on sale, but if you keep the next volume of each series you follow in the wishlist, it helps you track when it comes out and you catch price drops sometimes.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:46 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Things that caught my eye while browsing the Kindle November "Holiday" deals:
Hide Me Among the Graves - Tim Powers (related to the Stress of Her Regard novel)
The Given Day - Dennis Lehane
I am a Cat - Soseki Natsume
Dhalgren - Samuel Delany

I mentioned in another thread that there are two Romance of Three Kingdom (vol1)s on sale also.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:48 PM
GASP

Pronouns: She/Her

There's a bunch of $2 Georgette Heyer on Amazon today!
Old 11-09-2015, 07:13 AM
GASP

Dun Lady's Jess by Doranna Durgin is currently free on Amazon.

It's your typical "horse from a fantasy land accidentally gets sucked into modern day Ohio and also turned human" book.

There was a huge issue with the author trying to reclaim the rights to this from a publishing company who was not behaving according to their contract. I'm guessing she finally won!
Old 02-14-2016, 12:08 PM
GASP

Default How to Jailbreak Your Kindle Voyage (or other latest-gen Amazon ereader)

I bought a Kindle Voyage! Then I jailbroke the everlasting fuck out of it because the ability to customize my own screensaver images is one of the features I loved in my Nook.

However, I discovered that the instructions given by the clever people who made the jailbreak hack were... not quite.... sort of... a little... OH SWEET SEPHIROTH'S LEFT NIPPLE THEY SUCKED. I had to visit no fewer than five different sites because part of the directions were over here and part were over there. One of the steps was flat out fucking wrong. Some of the instructions assumed I had downloaded a file that was previously unmentioned anywhere, and neglected to mention what it was and where I could get it.

It's like they deliberately wanted to make the entire process as goddamn confusing to non-developers as possible.

SO I WROTE OUT THE GODDAMN STEPS. It's not my finest work; I didn't want to spend any more time than I had to, but for self preservation if nothing else (if I ever factory reset, I'll have to do this bullshit over again), this is a thing that needed to happen.

Here you go. Enjoy. You MUST have version 5.6.5 or lower, and this should work for any latest-gen kindle, not just the Voyage, though the steps taken to upgrade to 5.6.5 are different based on your model. YMMV, contact your doctor if your erection lasts longer than four hours, not available in all states, sorry no CODs, please don't come to me if you brick your Kindle, okayIloveyoubuhbye.

How to Jailbreak a Kindle Voyage

1. Update version to fw5.6.5

a. Download this file to your PC: http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...yage_5.6.5.bin

b. Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable and move the file to the Kindle's root directory (i.e. not in a subfolder).

c. Eject the Kindle, and unplug the USB cable.

d. From Home, tap the Menu icon, and then tap Settings.

e. Tap the Menu icon again, and then tap Update Your Kindle. This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.

f. Tap OK to perform the update. You will see Your Kindle Is Updating.
Once the update is complete, your Kindle will automatically restart.

2. Install the jailbreak

a. Download this file to your PC:
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...3&d=1454685384

b. Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable and extract the four files contained in the zip to the Kindle's root directory (i.e. not in a subfolder).

c. Eject the Kindle, unplug the USB cable, and turn off airplane mode.

d. Open the Experimental Browser (from the Home screen, it's in the Menu) and navigate to the following address:

kindlefere.com/jb/

e. Follow onscreen instructions.

TRANSCRIPT OF ONSCREEN JAILBREAK INSTRUCTIONS:

The steps MUST occur in the following order.

i. Press Stage 1.
ii. Press "Back" after page fails to load.
iii. Press Stage 2.
iv. Read titlebar for next steps.
v. Once the title changes to "Jailbreak succeeded!", you're done.

If the Kindle does not open the home screen and the titlebar does not change to "JB starting..." after pressing Stage 2, STOP! Do not continue to execute the jailbreak. It is incompatible with your system.

f. When the notification bar tells you to run ;fc-cache in the search bar, simply open the Search screen (magnifying glass icon), type ;fc-cache and press Enter.

g. If it worked, you will see "Jailbreak succeeded!" in the notification bar.

3. Install the Jailbreak Bridge (needed to install custom packages).

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1455327261

b. Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable and extract the file contained in the zip to the Kindle's root directory (i.e. not in a subfolder).

c. Eject and unplug your Kindle. Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Menu > Update Your Kindle.

4. Install KUAL (Kindle Unified Application Launcher)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1443189086

b. Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable and open the zip file. Move ONLY the file called "KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2" into the Documents folder of your Kindle.

c. Eject the Kindle, ensure you're in airplane mode, and find and open Kindle Launcher in your books list. Once it is opened, click "Quit". When you return to the Home screen, it should say "Active".

5. Install MR Package Installer (KUAL Extension).

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...5&d=1439936860

b. Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable and open the zip file. Extract the contents of the zip file into the root directory of your Kindle. You may get a message about merging the two extensions folders; this is okay.

c. Eject the Kindle. Open Kindle Launcher in your books list and ensure that there's a button called "Helper", then Quit.

6. Finally! Install the custom screensavers hack! (You must have paid to remove special offers, or it will not work)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...6&d=1440341780

b. Connect your Kindle to your PC via USB cable and open the zip file. Extract ONLY the file called "Update_linkss_0.24.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3.b in" into the "mrpackages" folder on your Kindle.

c. Eject the Kindle. Open Kindle Launcher in your books list.

d. Click the Helper button.

e. Click Install MR Packages.

f. Once it is done installing, your Kindle will reboot. When it returns to the home screen, click the Power button to put the Kindle to sleep. If everything worked, the screensaver that you see should be a success message.

g. There's an entire novel explaining how to use this hack on the website and I don't feel like rewriting it now because I have things to do today, so see http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474. You can set custom screensavers, or set it to use the cover art of the most recently opened book as the screensaver.
Old 02-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Which reminds me, A God in Ruins is $3.99 today and I saw people were reading it, so I guess it's good?
Old 04-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Out Of Warranty

Hey, Humble Bunde has a humongous sci-fi ebook bundle. 21 novels, you surely will find something to like...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Bundle
Resurrection, Inc Kevin by J. Anderson
Nevermind. Abort, abort!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Sampson View Post
Looking to sell:

Kindle Paperwhite (w/ case) (very good condition) - $40 + shipping
Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Hey, I mentioned this in the manga thread a while back, but never went into detail: I've been using my Kindle to rad manga scanlations for things that don't have official releases.

If that sounds exciting to you, here's how I've been doing it (Win10).

Quote:
1) I download the scanlation I want and arrange it into a series of numbered images inside a folder for each volume (0001.jpg, 0002.jpg, etc). This is what Kindle Comic converter recommends, but I have no idea how necessary it is to not use subfolders or anything. Bulk Rename Utility helps immensely for this. This is a good opportunity to hunt down high-quality scans of volume covers that might otherwise be missing. In the past I've gone as far as running a slightly low-quality cover through Waifu2X to scale it up a bit.

2) add everything in the folder to a new archive in Winrar and save it as whatever title you want. Make SURE it's the name you want listed as the actual title, because for some reason everything beyond this point has a really hard time changing it. Doesn't really matter much if it's .RAR or .ZIP, just rename the extension to .CBR or .CBZ (respectively) after it finishes.

3) Run it through Kindle Comic Converter. If it's a .CBZ, you can add metadata at this time, but I don't since it's all American comic stuff that doesn't really apply to the manga I'm using it on (issue number, pencillers and inkers, etc). For settings, make sure you check "Manga mode" (which reverses page flip). I also check "Stretch/Upscale," "PNG output," "HQ Zoom" (highly recommended since otherwise you won't be able to zoom in on panels), and "Color Mode" if it's something with colour pages that I might put on my tablet later. I also change "Spread Splitter" to undefined, but that's just personal preference. You can hover over any of the options to see what they do in more detail. Hit "Convert" and wait a while. It'll make a notification noise when it's done.

4) I'm pretty sure you can just drag the resultant .MOBI file into your Kindle's "documents" folder, but I like to manage everything through calibre. It's pretty simple to use and I find it easier to edit metadata for things on calibre's end than KCC's. You can also find your colour cover here if you decided to leave "Color Mode" unchecked in the last step, just for UI consistency.
So there's my probably-redundancy-filled technique. If you find you messed something up when you look at it on your Kindle, you'll have to manually delete it from the "documents" folder before adding it again. Just deleting it in the Kindle UI won't work since it keeps metadata. Remember, these are MUCH bigger than a regular ebook so you probably won't be able to hold more than 15-20 of them at a time. That's why I like using calibre to keep my library organized. Enjoy.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:56 PM
Metaphysical organ dealer

I'm probably never going to do it myself because downloading and renaming all the pages sounds like an awful lot of work, but I'm curious to know if this would work on a Nook.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:09 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I'm probably never going to do it myself because downloading and renaming all the pages sounds like an awful lot of work, but I'm curious to know if this would work on a Nook.
I can usually find everything nicely zipped up if I go directly to the scanlator's site instead of reading on Dynasty Scans or what have you. Bulk Rename Utility lets me rename everything in a few minutes.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:35 PM
actually an eevee

Pronouns: she/her

I had to get a new phone plan, and for some reason, verizon threw in an Ellipsis 8 for free. I'm sure it's an underpowered piece of poo, but it has 2 big redeeming features so far:

1) Easy as hell to root (used kingroot)
2) I opened up a manga in the Kindle app, and it is beaaaaaaaautiful.

Seriously, it might just be a dedicated manga reader, lol
Old 06-07-2016, 03:59 AM
Unreliable Narrator

All but the final volume of A Silent Voice are on sale at Amazon and Comixology for $4.99 a volume.

Buying from Amazon Kindle store tends to get you the Comixology version for free, so I usually go for that.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:48 PM
Banjo Kathoey

I'm heading down a dark path where I'm trying to see if anyone has opened up a 7th gen Kindle and replaced the internal storage with something bigger.

(manga takes up a lot of space)
Old 08-17-2016, 08:46 AM
>TRANCE

Pronouns: xe/xir & they/them

I've been looking into getting a kindle paperwhite and the idea of reading manga on one might just be the kick in the bum I need to actually do it.

But apart from traditional, linear reading, I'd also like to use it for referencing RPG pdfs. Probably mostly for relatively small games, more Wuthering Heights Roleplay than GURPS, but still, the question remains: is it troublesome to navigate PDFs on a kindle, if you have to jump back and forth, reference specific pages, that sort of thing?
Old 08-17-2016, 08:51 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It depends on how the PDF/mobi is set up. The better PDFs and mobis include chapter breakdowns in the actual PDF itself allowing you to jump between chapters easily, but there's always the standard "Go To This Page" button and so on. You can also bookmark pages.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoon View Post
I've been looking into getting a kindle paperwhite and the idea of reading manga on one might just be the kick in the bum I need to actually do it.

But apart from traditional, linear reading, I'd also like to use it for referencing RPG pdfs. Probably mostly for relatively small games, more Wuthering Heights Roleplay than GURPS, but still, the question remains: is it troublesome to navigate PDFs on a kindle, if you have to jump back and forth, reference specific pages, that sort of thing?
I find it awkward even in the best PDFs because the interface is slow and because my preferred mode to quickly jump around PDFs is entering text in search I know is where I want to go. I still wholeheartedly endorse a kindle paperwhite, they're fantastic for what they're good at.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:50 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Kindle / Comixology cross-buy sale on Assassination Classroom manga, volumes 1-11.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Amazon kindle Daily Deal on biographies, including Chernow's Washington.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:51 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
Amazon kindle Daily Deal on biographies, including Chernow's Washington.
And Morris's The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, which is excellent.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:21 AM
We just don't know.

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker is only $2 on Amazon today! I really love this book. It's a look at immigrant communities and lives in '20s new york through the lens of two middle eastern mythologies and it's romantic and heartbreaking and it's so good.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:57 AM

It really is
Old 11-25-2016, 07:26 AM
Unreliable Narrator

Neal Stephenson's Seveneves is on sale for $2.99 for Kindle.
Old 11-26-2016, 05:07 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grignr View Post
Neal Stephenson's Seveneves is on sale for $2.99 for Kindle.
Ah! Another triumph for procrastination - I've been meaning to pick it up for ages. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 11-30-2016, 02:13 AM
Out Of Warranty

Guys, Story Bundle has some good stuff right now. The Leading Ladies Fantasy bundle looks interesting enough, but the real gem is the new Immerse or Die 3 bundle. These are books that have survived Jefferson Smith's Immerse or Die Challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson Smith
For those who don't already know about ImmerseOrDie, every morning I get on my treadmill for my forty-minute daily walk. In an effort to distract myself from the drudgery of treadmills, I do this in the company of a new-to-me indie novel. The hope is that I can get quickly immersed into the world of the story and stay there so completely that I don't notice the drudgery. To be fair, each book is given two mercies, but if I find myself interrupted by oddities in the writing, editing, or layout for a third time, I close the book, stop the clock, and then write up a report about what went wrong.
I've gotten the first two bundles and they had terrific novels in basically every genre. Heck, the first bundle's The Improbable Rise of Singularity Girl became one of my favorite books ever.

But if you're still reeling from Black Friday expenses (like me), I can give you a free fix. You can download for free, in the storefront of your choice, All These Shiny Worlds: The 2016 Immerse or Die Anthology. Some great short stories in there.

Tags
falselogic