The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-18-2018, 06:35 AM
Lichotaur

The best SEEn result out of 18 only saw D:6 and that was aided by finding a potion of experience. 0.12's vagaries aside, it was mostly very difficult because of a poor species/background combo.

Last edited by rkdn42; 02-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 PM

Update:

MiSu with Rune. Died during an unlucky run in the Abyss.

HeWn with a Rewn. Still going in .19! Lenny and Bai Suzhe camping Swamp:4 so not sure where to go from here. Thoughts?
Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 PM
disguised king of surfing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crut View Post
Thoughts?
DEATH OR GLORY
Old 02-18-2018, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
DEATH OR GLORY
Death it is then.

Got a rune at least.
Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM

Yikes, that's a painful ghost.
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM
Yes, let's feast!

OK so

The alphabet soup challenge was originally scheduled to end today. It ended up being unexpectedly popular, and I know some of you are still having a go at it. Do we want an extension? An extra week? Just allow runs that were started by end of day regardless of when they finish? What are you feeling?

Regardless of how this contest shakes out, I was impressed by all the oddball characters so many of you took so far. This contest got me my first HO win and my first win of any character whose background didn't come from that leftmost column. Many of us also learned new four-letter words as a result of this contest, so it was really a great success all around.
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
The metal babble flees!

I'm sure some of us had an opportunity to flex very familiar four-letter words, too.

Speaking of which, I saw valiant attempts at DEMo by both Crut and Sporo yesterday evening. The one that went the furthest that I saw, was Sporo's falchion-wielder who was lucky enough to find an Yred altar quite early on.
Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM
Shields must fall

I've currently got a DEMo that has the swamp rune and is looking pretty good with 3 profane servitors from Yred.

That being said, I haven't been reporting my failed runs so I am not particularly concerned with points. The challenge was a neat way to motivate playing new races and combos though so thanks for bringing it up!
Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM
TARANTUL

Well I got all the Pan runes. Cerebov didn't seem worth killing, I just grabbed his and teleported out and every time he's shown up since I've just left the level.

Does a Pan exit show up more if I kill more / harder things like abyss? Are they more likely in the lord's vaults? Or should I just keep moving?
Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Certain areas have a guaranteed exit, but mostly you're rolling the dice. Abyss is much easier to exit, so if you see an exit through the Abyss, don't be afraid to take it.

Be aware that any Lords whose rune you steal will show up in the Orb run. The strategy is still "run," but it can freak you out if you didn't know it was coming.
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM
TARANTUL

Wait, if I go to abyss I'll exit back into depths, not Pan?
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Holy Swine

Right. That's the standard way to exit Pan.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Wait, if I go to abyss I'll exit back into depths, not Pan?
There are doors to the Abyss from within Pan. Those lead back to where you entered Pan (presumably Depths).

If you are banished in Pan, you will emerge in Pan. The doors are a special case.
Old Yesterday, 12:35 PM
TARANTUL

Yeah, that took like 15 seconds, while I had been wandering around pan for a good hour or two.

Guess it's just Tomb, then. What do I need for that aside from rN?
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Guess it's just Tomb, then. What do I need for that aside from rN?
Extreme caution.

You've probably encountered high-level mummies before. When you kill them, they do bad things to you, like torment. Do not mass-murder the mummies. Take it slow and you should be OK.

I think they removed the upstairs in Tomb:3. When you go down, you will not come up easily. Be prepared for a bad time in there.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Lichotaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Extreme caution.

You've probably encountered high-level mummies before. When you kill them, they do bad things to you, like torment. Do not mass-murder the mummies. Take it slow and you should be OK.

I think they removed the upstairs in Tomb:3. When you go down, you will not come up easily. Be prepared for a bad time in there.
Yes, stairs are only one way now. For Tomb:3, there are stairs past the doors to the left and right. So a good strategy is to run immediately into one of those doors and blast from there. You can then blink over to the stairs if you get into trouble.

If you've got Necromutation, you avoid most of the worst of the death curses (pain and torment), but you can still be slowed and will get summons (the only really dangerous ones are reapers). If going lichform, blast any ushabti before they get in range since they have Dispel Undead.
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Bertolli?!?...

I've ranted about the recent changes to Tomb elsewhere at length, but man, I can't imagine running nu-Tomb blind. They took what is already hands-down the scariest branch and made it appreciably harder. Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Fuckin' Crystals, maaaaan

I've run nu-Tomb a couple times now, and the way I did it was with Ignition and Infestation. Since you've been jamming for Lichform, you probably have the skills required to cast it, and you'd already been using Ignition earlier, so that's good. The reason Ignition/Infestation works better than Dchan is that Infestation is coded well, unlike Dchan, and you can't turn the scarabs hostile with the fireballs. They're also FUCKING FAST, hit pretty hard, and drain speed, which is real good in a branch full of already-slow things. Watch for ushabti and other stuff with Dispel Undead, though its limited range means you can probably annihilate them before they can hit you. Low HP makes this a tricky prospect, though. Ignition is also real good just on its own, cause it tends to smoke the ever-loving shit out of the mummies.

Mummies suck because they like to torment/smite combo you. The high-level ones also always get two summoning spells, which range from scorpions to death scarabs to demons. Stairs being one-way only is also an issue--there's usually a set of return stairs in the landing area, which is fixed per stair, but they tend to be far enough away, and there tend to be enough monsters to welcome you, that if you don't make a full-speed beeline to such a place immediately, you can end up just having to fight it out in suboptimal conditions.

Good luck!
Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
TARANTUL

15 Runes!

Thanks to Mogri for coaching and watching the Tomb run!

Tomb 2 was actually the worst of it, with two nasty player ghosts and a layout that just did not give me a good place to rest. Landed from a teleport with 3 HP and poison, once.

It was also about then that Mogri mentioned I should train trans. OOPS, 30% failure on necromutation went down to 3% in about half a floor.

Tomb 3 was rough but cblinking to the stairs and blowing everything up with Ignition worked pretty well. Had a few bad teleports where my str went to 0 and I had to take off my -Str ring, but otherwise it wasn't bad at all.

Edit: Oh, wait. There was also that inital tomb 3 tomfoolery where I used an orb of energy and got confused, only to realize after that kicked in that I couldn't drink a potion of curing in litchform. That was a few rounds of fun where I finally got some use out of that short blade skill (most popcorn in Pan I just killed with an elemental staff). Lucky for me only a bunch of lesser mummiies showed up, and as soon as I was back to my senses Zombie Hands cleared them out nice and quick.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

Congrats!
Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Tomb:2 was definitely tense. A centaur ghost with Tornado, Chain Lightning, and Fire Storm showed up as Destil was trying to escape from a pack of greater mummies. He had a few awful teleports before he managed to land somewhere relatively safe.

This was my first time seeing how many Fire Storms a greater mummy can survive. The answer is "a lot of Fire Storms."
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Holy Swine

Awesome, Destil, congrats! That's a really hard combination to do it with, too!

Greater mummies just have way too much HP in general. Other than that, Fire Storm works great against them.

Consider this my last word character entry: a rune with a GnAr. Easily winnable game, got paralyzed by a sphinx in Depths, biffed the 5-streak attempt. Still, tied my best-ever from last tournament with a 4-streak!
Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Whether word game continues or not, I'll keep trying MiEn until I win it. Then I'll go back to MiGl and go from there.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Quote:
OK so

The alphabet soup challenge was originally scheduled to end today. It ended up being unexpectedly popular, and I know some of you are still having a go at it. Do we want an extension? An extra week? Just allow runs that were started by end of day regardless of when they finish? What are you feeling?

Regardless of how this contest shakes out, I was impressed by all the oddball characters so many of you took so far. This contest got me my first HO win and my first win of any character whose background didn't come from that leftmost column. Many of us also learned new four-letter words as a result of this contest, so it was really a great success all around.
I'd like a chance to finish up current runs at least. I have a HECK of a run going now.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM

I'll echo Crut's thoughts, let us complete runs that are currently being played. I Have a HOMo at the entrance to Zot that I won't have time to finish today.

Also, i think I forgot to post this SEAs. Man, going back to 0.12 was rough. I forgot that each enemy you butcher takes a different slot (rat chunks, hobgoblin chunks) and that nothing ID's on use, you have to use it correctly (if you use an enchant armor scroll on a weapon, it doesn't ID and you just waste the scroll) or guess at its usage like with rings. I'm glad we have moved past it.

Finally, massive congratulations to Destil! I watched through a bit of Pan, and it looked like you definitely could go the distance so I'm glad you made it.
Old Today, 08:14 AM

Double posting for my HOMo win! Going into Zot, I had 7 Warlords, 3-4 Knights, and 1 Sorceror. Only 5 Warlords made it to Zot:3, and only 3 made it to Zot:5. Only one warlord made it out with me. On Zot:2 I ran into double curse toes with a draconian pack. The Shifter dropped everything right on top of me, and the teleport took long enough that the orcs and myself were all at extremely low health from the constant torment. Many of them died before I could even recall them. I did use a few revives, but ran out of piety for that very quickly. A Draconian pack with a lot of Green draconians and a moth of wrath took out a couple more with the stacked poison. In Zot:5, my one warlord stepped on a tele trap while I was fighting an orb of fire, and he was dead by the time i recalled him. I found his gear in the top left lung, so I don't think he lasted long. The other one died to attrition; I fought 9 Orbs of Fire on Zot:5 alone.

The Orb Run started pretty spicy with 1 Pan Lord within 10 turns of picking up the orb, and a second one spawning as the tele trap I was using kept only teleporting me 5 tiles away. The rest of the run went pretty well, with a Pan Lord spawning in on D:1 as I was going to the exit. I kept on having to recall my warlord so he wouldn't needlessly die as I ran away. I'm bummed I didn't get to ascend with more warlords, but am glad I finally got a Beogh win!
Old Today, 08:21 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Nicely done! Beogh always peters out for me around Vaults.
Old Today, 08:24 AM
Holy Swine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
Double posting for my HOMo win! Going into Zot, I had 7 Warlords, 3-4 Knights, and 1 Sorceror. Only 5 Warlords made it to Zot:3, and only 3 made it to Zot:5. Only one warlord made it out with me. On Zot:2 I ran into double curse toes with a draconian pack. The Shifter dropped everything right on top of me, and the teleport took long enough that the orcs and myself were all at extremely low health from the constant torment. Many of them died before I could even recall them. I did use a few revives, but ran out of piety for that very quickly. A Draconian pack with a lot of Green draconians and a moth of wrath took out a couple more with the stacked poison. In Zot:5, my one warlord stepped on a tele trap while I was fighting an orb of fire, and he was dead by the time i recalled him. I found his gear in the top left lung, so I don't think he lasted long. The other one died to attrition; I fought 9 Orbs of Fire on Zot:5 alone.

The Orb Run started pretty spicy with 1 Pan Lord within 10 turns of picking up the orb, and a second one spawning as the tele trap I was using kept only teleporting me 5 tiles away. The rest of the run went pretty well, with a Pan Lord spawning in on D:1 as I was going to the exit. I kept on having to recall my warlord so he wouldn't needlessly die as I ran away. I'm bummed I didn't get to ascend with more warlords, but am glad I finally got a Beogh win!
Great win! Ha, your orc warlord and orb of fire numbers were about exactly the same as mine! With the exception of Saint Roka the iron giant.

Quote:
Nicely done! Beogh always peters out for me around Vaults.
I think there are two keys to Beogh: your life is more important than your orcs, and smiting is really really good and should be spammed on anything dangerous. Keeping those two things in mind has really turned around Beogh games for me.
Old Today, 09:19 AM
Yes, let's feast!

BaCK - 1292 points
HuCK - 1003 points

And I think that's as good as I'm getting.

I think an enterprising player could have sniped the win by playing a bunch of unplayed combos. If I could go back in time, I'd set a minimum of like 1000 points to get on the board, but since no one grabbed those combos, it ends up making little difference. The final scoreboard only has about four combos below that threshold anyway. The bigger advantage to setting a threshold is that I think a bunch of runs went unreported because no one wanted to brag about their score of 6.

So if you have leftover runs to report, go ahead -- otherwise, we'll wrap up when Crut gets the HECK out of the dungeon. (No rush, though!)

Tags
+72 club , because crawl loves you , carry the black torch , chei of staff , cheigoyle too stronk , chief of staff , dungeon crawl , hubris is smite-targeted , italo disco , jorgrun , line of sight hell , orbit of destruction , orc jesus , roguelike , rougelike , rouse the idle dead , there is no hrm , there is only plaay , xom notices you , zot traps