The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Go-Bots continues to be really good. Basically the second issue essentially ends what I thought the series would be building to (though will doubtlessly be re-ignited) and then is like "So... continued slavery or continued revolution." The "Next Time" preview implies the decision will be exodus". Looking forward to it.

Also, for cheap, I picked up G. Willow Wilson and David Lopez's attempt to bring back Mystic (for a time, Marvel said "wait, don't we own CrossGen? Do people want CrossGen?" and everyone was like "No, thanks.") It's a solid read but it really feels like a pilot for a series that would have been much better down the line. It's basically a mix of Harry Potter and Les Miserables (loosely) as two poor orphans with mad self-taught magic skills take very different life paths: the cynical one is inducted into a magic apprenticeship while the one who believes in fairy tales ends up getting caught up in a revolution. It's OK, but the fact that where it ends hints at a much more interesting story makes me bummed it was not to be.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Go-Bots continues to be really good. Basically the second issue essentially ends what I thought the series would be building to (though will doubtlessly be re-ignited) and then is like "So... continued slavery or continued revolution." The "Next Time" preview implies the decision will be exodus". Looking forward to it.
I know very little about the original Go-Bots cartoon, but it really seems like they're building towards the reveal that
the Go-Bots aren't human creations after all; they're somehow the whole alien cyborg thing, and Dr. Braxis has something to do with the Master Renegade.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Inherently Stealthy

I did not see that Go-bots swerve coming.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

*Octo Intensifies*
Old 01-25-2019, 11:10 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
I did not see that Go-bots swerve coming.

???
Old 01-25-2019, 11:11 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post

???
Whoa, mark your spoilers!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post

???
I ... Would go for that actually.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:48 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

I picked up the first issue of The Q Conflict on a whim, a big Star Trek crossover event where Q and some other god-like beings, such as Trelane, get in a big ol' fight and Picard yells at Q to grow up, so Q winds up bringing the captains from the main four Star Trek series (Not Archer, because I guess even Q didn't like Enterprise) together to be their representatives in a game to settle their argument.

I'm fine for some Q shenanigans. Though I find the timeline a bit of a puzzle. We start on the Enterprise E, but Worf is there like it's NBD, but Sisko is brought in from when he first was promoted to Captain (shortly before Worf joined) and Janeway is pulled in while they're still in the middle of the Delta Quadrant. Kirk, naturally, was pulled out of time as well.

Whatever, I'll roll with it. But I wish there was at least a line from Worf regarding Sisko and the time displacement going on.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure there was a Kelpien in the background on the Enterprise E. He wasn't drawn in much detail so it's hard to say for sure, but it's nice to see that species carried forward in expanded media. Shame the Denobulans haven't been given the same courtesy, that I'm aware of.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Dinger!

Pronouns: he/him

Not only did the second issue of Die make me extremely excited for the rest of the comic, but it also made me super excited for the tabletop RPG based on it that will eventually be released.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:31 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Man, the second volume of Snotgirl is a mess. It's like half the pages are missing and the rest are in the wrong order. I have no idea what the fuck I'm supposed to be getting out of any given scene or how it connects to any other scene. Really losing my patience with this series.

Speaking of BLOM, oh my god the new art he did for the Scott Pilgrim colour boxed set. I don't think he remembers how to draw poor Scott, at least not without looking like he just realized that he crapped his pants.

Old 02-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegan View Post
I don't think he remembers how to draw poor Scott, at least not without looking like he just realized that he crapped his pants.
Well...

I mean...

Maybe?
Old 02-04-2019, 05:12 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

gary_jules_mad_world.mid
Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM
There he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karzac View Post
Not only did the second issue of Die make me extremely excited for the rest of the comic, but it also made me super excited for the tabletop RPG based on it that will eventually be released.
Issue 3 amps up my excitement even higher. I'm pretty much in the tank for anything Kieron Gillen does, but this is an exceptionally strong start even for him.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 AM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

The first of those Collected Toppi books came out. For those of you who like to play "who did it first," Toppi is to Sienkiewicz as Pratt and Kojima are to Miller.

Toppi, though (unlike Pratt and Kojima) is a lot like Toth in that his rep isn't tied to a particular character or series.

These last few years have been really revelatory to me as far as the Argentinian/Italian schools go. I mean- America is cool and all, but I can't imagine having been able to witness firsthand the rich graphic cultures of the Italian 70s and 80s.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:45 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Got volume 2 of Captain Harlock and The Cigar that Fell in Love with a Pipe. Read a bit of the latter and it's pretty interesting so far, a weird little fairy tale about the greatest cigar roller in Cuba and her journey after she discovers she's allergic to nicotine.

I also have been reading "At the Shore", which feels like a slice of life indie comic with some Adventure Time silliness.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:41 PM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

I'd be interested in hearing how that second vol of Harlock strikes you. The first was surprisingly rough (and weirdly repetitive) towards the beginning, but seemed to be picking up some steam towards the end.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:08 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Miles Morales: Spider-Man #4 by Saladin Ahmed, Javier Carron, and David Curiel

A standalone story that is basically Ferris Bueller's Day Off starring Spider-Man.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:07 PM
There he is!

I didn't realize how much I missed Lazarus until it came back.
Old Today, 04:02 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Go-Bots has concluded!

That was incredibly weird. That was weirder than Transformers VS GI-Joe, which isn't something I thought I'd be saying. I honestly think it would probably be pretty disappointing for a Go-Bots fan, but as someone who thought they were pretty silly as a kid, it did a good job of getting me to appreciate the designs I'd disdained. It's also pretty cool how Scioli folds in concepts from Kirby and other Silver Age writers and artists, even down to the conclusion setting up an "Ancient Astronauts" history.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day