The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-25-2019, 06:10 PM

Anyone know whatever happened to Harper Row?
Old 01-25-2019, 06:38 PM
This Guy

I think she quit batmanning to go to college.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 PM
Senhor Member

The third volume of Young Justice Classic was a bizarre event where everyone’s ages got mixed up. My favorite writing was the weird little event-specific bios in the back.

Anyway, Young Justice, I get the gist. I’m good. Don’t need to read any more comics, ever. 🙏
Old 01-25-2019, 08:28 PM
This Guy

Are you talking about Sins of Youth? That story needs a reprint. I found it through doing a JSA reread and encountering the part where all the very old JSA members became babies and the one young JSA member had to babysit them.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Senhor Member

Currently on Hoopla. No further YJ comics, but I think there are on DC Universe.

There is another Teen Lantern in that JSA issue, only white and male. Hard to believe!

Also this happens

🧐🤔😬
Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Thinking more on house style: I don't know enough about the publication history of both companies or industry insider stuff to actually make this claim, but my general sense (mostly from reading Busiek/Perez Avengers and the related nearly line-wide Maximum Security event that came out around the same time), is that Marvel rushed way too far into the deep end of computer effects and coloring way before the technology was ready for it, leading to a lot of really gaudy art that was maybe novel at the time but painful to look at now.
You may be onto something there, given that in the ‘90s Marvel bought out Malibu Comics (home of the Ultraverse and the Men in Black series that became the Will Smith/Tommy Lee Jones movies) specifically for their computer coloring technology.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
The third volume of Young Justice Classic was a bizarre event where everyone’s ages got mixed up. My favorite writing was the weird little event-specific bios in the back.

Anyway, Young Justice, I get the gist. I’m good. Don’t need to read any more comics, ever. 🙏
I thought for a minute that was meant to be continuous. Imagine my confusion on discovering that Bruce Wayne had scales and virility.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:24 AM
Senhor Member

Did not even notice that... thank you...
Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Find Your Reason

I knew Batman prepared for anything, but you really have to ask which contingency required developing a sexy self-inflation trick.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:45 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The DC One Million Omnibus fits extremely well into the questionable/confusing trade collection practices of the Morrison JLA run it's tied into, with two issues that are extremely obviously in the wrong order.

With big events, sometimes the order is unclear due to poor planning or editorial, so you can kind of give a pass to trades that struggle to order them. But that's not the problem here. There's an extremely clear order, the trade just . . . reverses it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I did like in One Million how, the present-day scenes all looked like the normal DC art style, and scenes set in the future were all garish Reboot-caliber CG blobs
I think you might be thinking of the covers? Because the covers (and what I'm guessing were the inside-cover event context explanations) do have extremely 90s CG rendering on them, but the stories inside the covers thankfully don't (at least for the first 3/4 or so of the event).
Old 01-26-2019, 03:55 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I may just be thinking of the Superman bits, actually. Action Comics had a real *thing* with Bad CG all over the place in the late 90s.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:41 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Another complaint about DC trade collection practices: This Omnibus has no table of contents, and a number of issues don't give any indication of their original title. So, there's no way to tell what issue you're reading without referring to an external source. Most of the issues do give their original title, but some of them just . . . don't.

In the page layout, there's just a blank space where the title of the issue would be. Extremely weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I may just be thinking of the Superman bits, actually. Action Comics had a real *thing* with Bad CG all over the place in the late 90s.
Action Comics One Million does have 1990s Superman in the 853rd century fighting geometric shapes, but the shapes and the rest of the issue are hand-drawn. At least in the One Million event, the worst thing in Superman issues are some occasionally overdone lens flare effects and depth of field blur filter type stuff.

I think that (at least as far as One Million is concerned) you might be combing memories of (1) the fight against the hand-drawn geometric shapes in Action Comics and (2) the CG renders of geometric shapes that are on the front and inside covers of every One Million issue, which 100% definitely meet the description of "garish Reboot-caliber CG blobs."

(I've been binging on ~100 pages or so of this before bed for the past week or so and also again this afternoon flipped through what I've read to scour for CG renders, so it's all pretty fresh in my memory.)

This is not at all an expression of doubt that Action Comics did use bad CG in general, though. If they're putting these renders on the cover of every One Million event issue, then I'm sure they thought they were incredibly cool and made their way into the interiors of issues at some point or other.

Completely unfounded speculation: Maybe their CG people were so so busy doing the covers for literally every issue that they didn't have time to do it for the Action Comics interiors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGuffin View Post
You may be onto something there, given that in the ‘90s Marvel bought out Malibu Comics (home of the Ultraverse and the Men in Black series that became the Will Smith/Tommy Lee Jones movies) specifically for their computer coloring technology.
Oh, yeah, I remember that, but probably didn't understand that business/technology aspect of the deal. I was a dumb child and bought into the marketing hype after the buyout and ended up reading a lot of of Mantra and the short lived Exiles series with Juggernaut in it.

Last edited by estragon; 01-26-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:27 PM
Still writing out 2018.

Comicbinding.com is a good resource for reading orders when the official omnibus just doesn't cut it.

http://comicbinding.com/mapping/dc-one-million

The fact that this exists is a) handy, and b) kinda points to how jank some of the collected runs have come out.

Tags
chortle at batman's boner , chortle at joker's boner , clark kent is sup-*bang* , comics , crisis on infinite dicks , detective comics , detective comics comics , don’t ask just buy it , i am baytor , just read mark waid books , superman is worst hero , tales from the krypton