The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 02-06-2019, 06:26 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Why do I get the feeling this is one of those "ha ha, I'm smarter than you" things?
Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 AM
>TRANCE

Pronouns: xe/xir & they/them

Feast For A King is amazing? It's a complex interwoven narrative about worm monsters fucking and eating each other and falling in love. Does anyone read it?
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 AM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

I used to! But it's a really rough start and it has an intimidatingly massive backlog. I'd love to give it another go.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:53 AM
>TRANCE

Pronouns: xe/xir & they/them

It's definitely very confusing and also about five thousand pages long so far, but it's extremely queer and I find the art very charming (even when it's in sketch mode) and I'm a total sucker for trans monsters with too many eyes and teeth.

E: It's also extremely adorable

Last edited by will; 02-07-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:20 PM
O tempora! O morays!

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Why do I get the feeling this is one of those "ha ha, I'm smarter than you" things?
I mean the fundamentals underlying relativity and the consequences of them get a bad rap for being complex but for the most part they're actually not that daunting from a high-level perspective. I've been working under the assumption based on what I saw on an Nova episode one time that the whole reason that Einstein developed the theory of relativity came from the fact that nobody was able to develop a working means of getting railway timekeeping consistent between stations. When people say things like 'GPS relies on relativity' part of what they mean is that synchronizing timing at a distance for far-apart stuff runs into specific physical constraints...ones that we've done a lot of math to demonstrate.

Most of what makes it daunting is that in order to actually quantify those constraints we, again, have to do a lot of math and we have to be pretty precise about it as well -- more that there are a lot of steps getting from A to B than any single step being all that much of a leap of logic. Even then there are still a lot of fudge factors. If you want to work out things like Lorentz contraction you wind up doing some approximations from the perspective that anything not traveling at the speed of light is traveling so much more slowly that the difference between their motion and the speed of light is basically negligible.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Honestly, specifics of the subject aside (and having no context for these characters, as I haven't read the comic), I read that one strip as being more about a girl being immersed in doing what she loves, rather than "haha she's smart and you're dumb".
Old 02-07-2019, 02:27 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

But like, is there a joke besides mutual recognition of the meaning assigned to an arbitrary greek character by a math person?
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

I thought the joke was that a complicated math equation was on the board of a coffee shop and the punchline was that someone made the assumption that the equation was for sale as a beverage and ordered one.

I... didn’t read anything past that. And I deemed the gag “solid!”
Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
I mean the fundamentals underlying relativity and the consequences of them get a bad rap for being complex but for the most part they're actually not that daunting from a high-level perspective. I've been working under the assumption based on what I saw on an Nova episode one time that the whole reason that Einstein developed the theory of relativity came from the fact that nobody was able to develop a working means of getting railway timekeeping consistent between stations. When people say things like 'GPS relies on relativity' part of what they mean is that synchronizing timing at a distance for far-apart stuff runs into specific physical constraints...ones that we've done a lot of math to demonstrate.

Most of what makes it daunting is that in order to actually quantify those constraints we, again, have to do a lot of math and we have to be pretty precise about it as well -- more that there are a lot of steps getting from A to B than any single step being all that much of a leap of logic. Even then there are still a lot of fudge factors. If you want to work out things like Lorentz contraction you wind up doing some approximations from the perspective that anything not traveling at the speed of light is traveling so much more slowly that the difference between their motion and the speed of light is basically negligible.
you know, you could have just said yes
Old 02-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

That strip makes me so happy.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:51 PM
hourglass figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by will View Post
Feast For A King is amazing? It's a complex interwoven narrative about worm monsters fucking and eating each other and falling in love. Does anyone read it?
I do! It's great. I'm happy there are other TT members who like it.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:29 PM
What's Shenmue?

Pronouns: He/Him

ReTale, a comic about working retail in a version of Florida inhabited by all sorts of supernatural and fantasy creatures, has got my interest. The premise is solid (and it's already getting good gags out of it) and the art is wonderful. It just started, but it already has a full chapter up and updates with multiple pages at a time, so you can get a good idea of what it's going to be like.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Still reading Back

Back is Still Amazing
Old 02-18-2019, 03:33 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Yeah, Back is very good.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:00 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I guess it's technically a newspaper comic, but I read it on the web, so it's a webcomic. A Problem Like Jamal is amazingly good. It only started last year and has just had time for a limited number of arcs, so I highly recommend going back to the beginning. It is about an extremely woke cynical black boy, and boasts deceptively detailed and thoughtful character writing, and dynamic art that took all the right influences from Bill Watterson.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 AM

Continuing my trawl through Webtoons, I've found a few interesting comics:

Apocolyptic Horseplay follows what happens when the Four Horsemen give up their jobs. I have a feeling this one might be winding down it's story soon, but it's a very enjoyable read. The writer had another comic called UndeadEd and a few of the characters crossover, but it's not essential to understand the current story. It just adds some flavor to it.

What happens when you mix romance and a zombie apocalypse? Boyfriend of the Dead is what happens. A gourmet zombie, who can reason with mostly no problems and no memories, finds a living girl who smells delicious to him. So he tries to keep her safe until later. Then they both start to fall in love. I'll freely admit I'm becoming a sucker for well written romance stories.

Trailer Park Warlock is exactly what is sounds like. A warlock who lives in a trailer park, pickup truck included. He recently made a golem and named it Earl. Because of course he did.

Another zombie title, Hooves of Death has a pocket of humanity being protected by unicorns. Bad ass unicorns at that! It only has just started, so now is a good time to jump in.

I'm saving the best for last. These are not his stories, but they are his stories to tell, The Strange Tales of Oscar Zahn mix Lovecraftian tentacles, paranormal investigations, and simply wonderful storytelling together. While the stories are supernatural in nature, it's the heart and warmth to all of them that makes them great. Out of all of the ones I'm recommending, Oscar Zahn is the only one I would say everyone should read.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:38 AM
King Of Space-Time

No more party times?

Quote:
Thank you for reading. I can't say it enough.

Hark! A Vagrant
, such as it is, is an archive website now. I didn't think it would be when I stepped away to work on other projects, but (not to kill the light mood around here) 2016-2018 were very difficult years in a personal sense, and emerging on the other side, I feel like this is a project that has run its course. I am so very grateful for all that this comic and my readers have given me, they have given me a career, joy, and more than I ever dreamed.

I'm still working on a graphic novel, and picture books for children. I miss making humour comics, but coming back to them, I will have to figure out what that will look like. These comics go back to my early 20s, and I am a different person. In a sense that's exciting. I'll figure it out, and I hope I'll see you there. Hark! is only one project, I personally am not going anywhere. And maybe next time I'll choose a title that I won't have to repeat ten times to people, a bright prospect.

I'd like to dedicate this archive to my sister Becky Beaton, who we lost in 2018, and who always believed in me. I love you, always.

-Kate
Old 03-24-2019, 05:23 AM
till the sheriff stops by

Damn. I'm going to miss new Harks but I will look forward to any more comics she does (and will probably give my niece and upcoming nephew her picture books when they get a bit older).
Old 03-31-2019, 03:57 PM
King Of Space-Time

Lore Olympus is back from it's short hiatus.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Lore Olympus is back from it's short hiatus.
YAY! Now back to the waiting for Hades to utterly wreck Apollo.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:12 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I just discovered Stand Still Stay Silent on Thursday night and now I’m close to 400 pages in to it. Is this a well known comic that I just somehow missed out on? I’m surprised that I don’t see more people talking about it.

I don’t want to spoil too much because I really enjoyed the way the story and setting are slowly revealed. Some things that I like about it: great art, interesting setting, good use of language barriers, adventure, humor, horror, Nordic folklore, and supernatural elements. It spends a lot of time building things up.

Definitely worth checking out.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 PM

The best part is the comic updates 4 days a week with only a 2 week break between chapters. The artist is amazing.

Only reason it's 4 days is because they're working on a game.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:27 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Looks gorgeous.

... and seems like the sort of thing I'd really rather read in the nice hardcover editions, which I can't really justify splashing out 80 bucks on while I have so much else in my backlog.

(Though maybe I should start remembering that I do own an iPad now and could potentially get long-form comics on that as a compromise between browser and physical book...)

Tags
comics , cucumber quest , die in obscurity , fear of crowdfunding , fear of new threads , horrible carrot noses , kc green suicide watch , lim-bo! , penny arcade , webcomics