The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 08-23-2018, 08:14 AM

Putting the dubious quality of this adaptation and the 'Nasuverse' in general aside, I do really like the music of the Tsukihime opening; the animation that goes with it is nothing amazing though:
Old 08-24-2018, 10:36 PM

Reading through the recent Star Ocean threads reminded me that Star Ocean EX was a thing.

I really like this opening, but man. The show was almost as disappointing as Star Ocean 4.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:34 PM

Ninja Slayer was a failure of a show, as it wasn't absurd enough to laugh at and succeed on absurdist humor alone, but just too absurd to remotely take serious. It was also, for all intents a flash cartoon made for Newgrounds instead of an anime made for TV.

But I'm pretty sure half the show's budget went into licensing a new song for each episode's ED. As a vehicle for exploring niche Japanese music, it was weirdly fascinating. My favorite of which was this song that played at the end of episode 4.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:26 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

That isn't Melt-Banana's song, for shame
Old 08-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

Yuki Saito's Kanashimi yo Konnichi wa for Maison Ikkoku's initial opening is basically perfect, and it has a stellar complement in Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again (Naturally). The latter is made all the more special by its contextualization: it's used as the opening for a single episode alone.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Love is OGR

Hard to consider this pair apart from each other: Monday Michiru's Skies of Love and Kei Ogura's Hikari no Hashi wo Koete, the initial opening and ending themes to Legend of the Galactic Heroes, respectively. I have never skipped watching either, and I don't think I will.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:56 PM
Love is OGR

Yoko Maekawa did the opening theme for Majokko Megu-chan, and if the style of music, innuendo-laden lyrics and cheeky voyuristic elements bring to mind Cutie Honey, it's no accident: she performed that opening as well, and the series share staff and other similarities. The first thirty seconds of this are about as good as anything gets.

Kumiko Ōsugi provides the opening and ending themes to Aim for the Ace!'s first adaptation: Ace wo Nerae! and Shiroi Tennis Court. On the court, everyone is alone!

While Tokimeki Tonight's ending theme Super Love Lotion might be more famous, that's no reason to overlook the opening, Tokimeki Tonight. They're both brilliant and make me happy.

As I understand it Patalliro! is mostly a comedic series (and an extreme long-runner; 99 volumes from 1978 up to today), but it's also important from a queer history perspective because it features a central gay romance and was one of the first anime to depict such. Maraich and Bancoran are depicted in Eri Takeda's Utsukushisa wa Tsumi to shoujo melodrama perfection. It's probably making fun of the conventions too, but I would guess it's being affectionate about it.

Can you think of anything more dramatic than Hiroko Suzuki's Bara wa Utsukushiku Chiru for the Rose of Versailles? I can't. Oscar!!!

A couple of years ago it became really difficult or next to impossible to find Record of Lodoss War material on YouTube thanks to copyright claims, so here's an excellent adaptation of the OVA's opening Adèsso e Fortuna: Honō to Eien by Kato Izumi on the Sega Mega CD.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation is great, as seen in Yayoi Gotō's Tokete Iku Yume no Hate ni.

The way to engage with Tsukasa Hojo's stuff is try to find what has the least amount of softcore titillation and the most stylish fun: Cat's Eye hits that balance best in the first opening and ending, Cat's Eye by Anri and Dancing with the Sunshine by Cathi Linn. Work that body!

Ai Shite Knight is amazing, as demonstrated by Mitsuko Horie's Koi wa Totsuzen.

Stop!! Hibari-kun! is a romantic comedy featuring a trans girl main character. I'm guessing it'll inevitably be about trans panic and general queerphobic "gags", but there it is, existing in the early '80s. The opening and ending are good, Stop!! Hibari-kun! by Yuki Yukino and Kongara Connection by Ai Hoshino.

They're all great, but Hikari to Kage o Dakishimeta mama by Naomi Tamura might be my favourite Magic Knight Rayearth opening.

I actively dislike Cobra, but there's just no getting around how good Cobra by Yoko Maeno, the opening to Space Cobra is. Dezaki!

Tanoshii Mūmin Ikka is one of the best adaptations ever, and Emiko Shiratori's Yume no Sekai he is a good showcase why. It's got the melancholic bent intrinsic to Moomin down pat.

An opening so strong it made me immediately 1) cry upon seeing it 2) seek out the series itself to watch: Princess Nine, composed by Masamichi Amano, whom you probably know from Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still.

There are like a million variations to the main theme to Sakura Wars, Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan by Kohei Tanaka, and while I probably prefer some of the openings found in the video games, the opening to the Ouka Kenran OVA is great and features nice non-digital animation in the last days before digitalization.

Earlier comments about Tsukasa Hojo still apply to City Hunter, a series equally blessed with high quality openings and cursed with hypermasculine thematic content. My favourites are probably Ai yo Kienaide by Kahoru Kohirumaki to City Hunter, Sara by Fence of Defence to City Hunter 2, and Running to Horizon by Tetsuya Komuro to City Hunter 3. The last one is especially good for the quality of animation and how it's structured like a single contiguous action sequence. Fantastic stuff. Oh and, let's not forget Get Wild by TM Network, the ending to the first series.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
Yuki Saito's Kanashimi yo Konnichi wa for Maison Ikkoku's initial opening is basically perfect, and it has a stellar complement in Gilbert O'Sullivan's Alone Again (Naturally). The latter is made all the more special by its contextualization: it's used as the opening for a single episode alone.
The first Maison Ikkoku might be the perfect opening for what the show actually is. But it's third opening, "Suki sa" is the perfect opening for what I want the show to be. Which is really overly wrought dramatic adult romance.

Quote:
There are like a million variations to the main theme to Sakura Wars, Geki! Teikoku Kagekidan by Kohei Tanaka, and while I probably prefer some of the openings found in the video games, the opening to the Ouka Kenran OVA is great and features nice non-digital animation in the last days before digitalization.

Earlier comments about Tsukasa Hojo still apply to City Hunter, a series equally blessed with high quality openings and cursed with hypermasculine thematic content. My favourites are probably Ai yo Kienaide by Kahoru Kohirumaki to City Hunter, Sara by Fence of Defence to City Hunter 2, and Running to Horizon by Tetsuya Komuro to City Hunter 3. The last one is especially good for the quality of animation and how it's structured like a single contiguous action sequence. Fantastic stuff. Oh and, let's not forget Get Wild by TM Network, the ending to the first series.
I came within a hair's breath of nominating openings from both of these shows in the TV Theme Thunder Dome, along with a Maison Ikkoku opening. I skipped Sakura Wars despite it being amazing, simply because it was better identified with video games, so it's kinda cheating. I skipped a Maison Ikkoku opening because my heart went with "Suki sa" despite knowing the first opening would probably get more popular support. And I passed on City Hunter because "Get Wild" is definitely the most iconic song of that show, but my heart goes with either its 1st or 4th opening.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:45 PM
Love is OGR

Cutie Honey Flash is the best incarnation of the series, including its recurring theme, performed by SALIA.

The Pumpkin Wine is a "she's tall and he's short" romcom. L wa Lovely by Kumiko Kaori is cute.

The Adventures of Maya the Honey Bee owns, and so does the titular opening by Chīta and the Honey Bee Choir.

Everything MIQ ever sang deserves to be on any best-of list. Fly Dunbine to Aura Battler Dunbine, Time for L-Gaim to Heavy Metal L-Gaim, Call Me Mysterious to Star Musketeer Bismark, MEN OF DESTINY to Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory... she's always supreme.

A bunch of stuff that has Akemi Takada's character designs in them: Fall in Love Delicately from Creamy Mami, the Magic Angel by Takako Ōta, absolutely everything from Kimagure Orange Road, Mirai ha Lovers from Mobile Police Patlabor by Hiroko Kasahara.

Genesis Climber MOSPEADA has Ushinawareta Yume o Motomete by Andy Koyama and it's very good.

Little Memole's opening is extremely good and adorable. The ending (either version) is also the best ever.

Namida no Hanbun from Legendary Idol Eriko, performed by Eriko Tamura will maybe make you believe for a moment the idol industry isn't the hell it actually is.

It was posted earlier, but the titular opening to Glass Mask by Mariko Ashibe really is brilliant. It's extremely distressing and uncomfortable viewing by design.

Lady Georgie has a very good opening and ending, both by Yuriko Yamamoto: Wasurerareta Message and Yasashisa o Arigatō.
Old 08-27-2018, 07:15 PM
Find Your Reason

Kenji Kawai gets a lot of very well-deserved praise for his work on Ghost in the Shell, Avalon, Patlabor, and a host of other milestone film and animation productions (hell, he scored the Ring horror films!) But I first knew him from his Ranma TV soundtracks, and, although this theme isn't so much a "TV OP" as "theme for the opening scene of the movie", damned if it isn't an absolutely perfect musical description of Ranma the series, and Ranma the character.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 PM
till the sheriff stops by

Quote:
[
It was posted earlier, but the titular opening to Glass Mask by Mariko Ashibe really is brilliant. It's extremely distressing and uncomfortable viewing by design.
Now that Glass Mask is for reals done, maybe we'll get a new anime version. I watched most of the 80's series, but later I read 1001 Comics To Read Before You Die and whoever did the write up on Glass Mask pointed to how crazy the series gets with the lead character and her rival, both going completely over the top in order to go method. It's so my jam.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Kenji Kawai gets a lot of very well-deserved praise for his work on Ghost in the Shell, Avalon, Patlabor, and a host of other milestone film and animation productions (hell, he scored the Ring horror films!) But I first knew him from his Ranma TV soundtracks, and, although this theme isn't so much a "TV OP" as "theme for the opening scene of the movie", damned if it isn't an absolutely perfect musical description of Ranma the series, and Ranma the character.
This guy is a legend. His work on Ranma is also what stands out to me too, combined with Maison Ikkoku and a few others. If I ever fall ass-backwards into getting married someday, my only real stipulations for the wedding is that this song gets played at some point for a slow dance:

Their work on Guardian of the Spirit is also just legend:

Old 08-28-2018, 06:59 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Have I really not put A Place Further than the Universe in here yet? Time to fix that:

Old 08-28-2018, 11:48 PM
Love is OGR

Attack No. 1 is an extremely influential shoujo sports series, setting the standard for the genre for years to come. It's not difficult to see the appeal just from this opening; it's being treated seriously as a drama series first and foremost. It's so good! Women's volleyball would later be explored in series like Attack on Tomorrow and Attacker You!, and it's probably really clear where the influence lies.

Ashita no Joe has beautiful openings, exceptionally capturing the tone of the series in that it's about more than just a straightforward sports story of self-betterment and competition; it's about the very lives and deaths of struggling, desperate people. A decade apart, both the first series and the second series's second opening depict that melancholy without missing a beat. Once again, it's Dezaki at the helm.

The decades-long period of Japanese animation studios adapting western children's literature into TV shows is really fascinating. A bunch of animation legends worked on these, including future Studio Ghibli founders Isao Takahata and Hayao Miyazaki. Some picks: Heidi, Girl of the Alps, 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother, Rascal the Raccoon, The Story of Perrine, Anne of Green Gables, The Swiss Family Robinson: Flone of the Mysterious Island, Katri, Girl of the Meadows, My Daddy Long Legs, Trapp Family Story, Romeo's Blue Skies... there's a lot of it, and it's all good.

Cutie Honey's original opening is really, really good, despite itself. Lands more on the side of colourful, kinetic fun than outright creepiness, something the franchise can't always manage.

Time Bokan and Yatterman are so important. Their particular brand of buffoonish villains have been copied, revised, parodied and paid homage to so much that they're just an inextricable part of culture at this point.

Piccolino no Bōken adapts the story of Pinocchio, of course.

Candy Candy is a classic as heck shoujo series. Probably some of the earliest memories I have of anime being sold over here, as near-mythical VHS copies.

The Adventures of the Little Prince is of course based on Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's book, here adapted with beautiful use of models for the opening.

Treasure Island is yet another book adaptation, and this is probably one of the most stunning openings ever made.

Future Boy Conan is essential viewing whether you're interested in Miyazaki's oeuvre or just interested in good anime.

Majokko Tickle should be more famous than it is. It's wholesome Go Nagai! That just doesn't happen every day. Both of the openings are really grand.

Hana no Ko Lunlun is a magical girl series with a flower theme. It's gorgeous and a bit of it was even adapted to English.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:36 PM

I still like the intro to Sexy Commando Masaru

It wouldn't be till years later that I my mind would be blown when I realized a lot of the intro parodied an intro from a show called Nurse Angel Ririka SOS (from the same director).
Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 PM

I am reminded that this show was a thing, and now I am overwhelmed with regret that I didn't include it on my list during the TV show theme thunderdome.

Parappa could have gone places.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:10 AM

Always been fond of the Boogiepop Phantom opening.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:38 AM
Sega CD version is better

I was always amused that a show that was largely horror themed had a songs to make love to opener like that.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

Not sure whether it's the noatalgia talking or what, but anyway, here's the opening for His and Her Circumstances:

Old 01-26-2019, 07:57 PM

So far, Kaguya-Sama: Love is War is a funny show and it's got a pretty good opening!

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 04-13-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM

I get this OP stuck in my head all the time lately.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:44 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
Not sure whether it's the noatalgia talking or what, but anyway, here's the opening for His and Her Circumstances:

Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Default Can't Believe I Didn't Post These Already

A few of my fave OPs from recent years that I haven't linked already:

Hanebado had my favourite OP of last year. It is stylish AF. I also like how at first blush it seems like the second half is just recycling the first half but then on subsequent watches it becomes apparent that each of the sequences in that second half is actually entirely new animation that's continuing the action from the first half.

This one is wild. I love the MC's mundane family juxtaposed with these psychedelic backdrops, and how the credits are integrated.

Johnny and I recently watch Erased (2nd watch for me), and I really dig how much this intro is hiding in plain sight. In fact, you can even see the killer's identity if you freeze-frame at ~1:12 and see the shooter of that bullet reflected in the shards of broken glass! Also, the song is rad and so are some of the visuals. I love that flooded hallway, which is also referencing something that happens later!

And all of that is even before I get to my favourite part of the intro, which is that it alters itself at the start of episode 11 in a super impactful way in response to the events that end episode 10. It's really powerful visual imagery and I love shit like that. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that 2nd version to post here; just annoying comparison videos showing both at once. For those who don't mind spoilers:

The MC essentially erases himself from the series for a couple of decades, and so the OP is edited to remove him from every shot but be otherwise unchanged.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:30 PM

Default Hello today I would like to talk to you about Gundam X

I just want to talk for a minute about how amazing the ending credit sequences are for After War Gundam X.

Most animus will give you a disposable ending credits sequence with the runner-up OP song and a poorly animated thing that doesn't particularly relate to anything. Sometimes a show will come around and do something neat with the EDs like tell a little self-contained story (think Cowboy Bebop's credit sequence) or serve as a mini music video. Even if you like the song though, there isn't a lot of reason to stick around to watch the credits every time outside of the tricky random episode that has an after-credits sequence, or if you want to watch the next episode preview. (A thing that is increasingly absent from most shows these days.)

And this is where Gundam X comes into play.

It mixes both the ED and the episode preview! It's such a simple idea, and someone came up with it over 20 years ago, and yet nobody does this. And it's friggin' brilliant. It gets you to stick around through an entire credit sequence, PLUS it gives viewers over a minute of preview footage to look at for the next episode, when most shows with episode previews only budget like 15 seconds max.

And each one ends with not just a title drop for the next episode, but each episode title is always a line of dialog/phrase taken from the next episode. And it's just... I can't really describe it, but super effective and enticing.

Also, the ending songs themselves are just hot fire. I am ten billion percent here for these 90s R&B songs.

Can you believe this was a GUNDAM show??? It only makes sense that in this shitty world, something this amazing was under appreciated and cancelled before its time.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

I feel like I've seen at least a couple other shows do that, though instead of using the whole ED for it I'm remembering something more like sneaking in a quick 15-second preview during a bridge in the song. Did one of the Durarara seasons do it? Or actually I may be thinking of them fitting the recap into the OP instead, similar deal.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Just thinkin' about Sakura Taisen from time to time like I'm prone to do
Old 03-26-2019, 10:37 AM

Somehow, the Megalobox intro hasn't showed up yet.

Tags
anime , anime is for jerks , don't watch anime , fuck an internet , japan , no lip-syncing , nostalgia , ohgodmybrowserisdying