The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 11-20-2015, 08:12 AM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
What is this and why have I never heard of it and is it even 1/10th as cool as that intro and where can I find it?
It's Luna Varga, currently the closest thing to a Godzilla anime. It was a ADV release so you might be able to locate a used copy...
Old 11-20-2015, 08:34 AM
till the sheriff stops by

I really like this one. It's a lot more melancholy than most sports anime openings. Also got a bit of Ennio Morricone to it.

BTW, the live action Ashita no Joe was pretty good.

I do like that Akagi one, even if I don't like Akagi all that much.\

EDIT:

Oh, and I wouldn't call them "great" but these Japanese openings to the 90's X-Men cartoon blew my brain when I first saw them.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 11-20-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Wow, El Mariachi is even better than I remember. Great work, Rodriguez.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 11-20-2015 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to give credit where credit is due.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Banned

I've always been a fan of acquired-taste anime openings. You know, the ones that seem passable the first time you hear them, but inevitably grow on you a little with each successive listening. The most well-known example I can think of is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann's "Sora-iro Days", which at first seems like not much more than bland poppy j-rock with clean, airy synth accompaniment:

A more recent example is Log Horizon's "Database" which starts out alright with a deep, hard-grungy intro before pulling all the wubby EDM hip-hop stops. This is... one that I legitimately disliked the first time I heard it, which just made it even greater when I did start to like it:

The potent acquired taste of openings like these means that as you get more invested in the show, the more the opening gets you hyped for the next episode.

Finally, one that I have a lot of nostalgia, but also genuine regard for is "A Cruel Angel's Thesis", which I don't even need to link because you've all seen it already. There aren't many things in Evangelion that I would call flawlessly executed, but the opening is one of those things. It's what sets the standard for troll openings in my head. It is very, very misleading as to the tone and subject matter of the show when you first see it, but in retrospect, it is very appropriate to the series. It shows you many fleeting glimpses, some of them lasting only a few frames at most, of mysterious things that may or may not be explained in the show. The music clashes with the visuals here and there, but still fits the cadence of the shot composition. The song lyrics themselves sound like they're just the typical incongruously romantic lyrics you hear so often in anime openings, but then you realize that it's Yui talking to Shinji. If someone who has never seen the show, but knew its reputation saw the opening for the first time, they'd probably say, "Whaaat? That can't be Evangelion!" But if someone had seen the series, but not the opening (for some reason) and they saw the opening for the first time, they'd say, "Eeeeeyup, that's Evangelion alright."

Madoka's opening wishes it could be this trollish.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:50 AM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

I don't even like X, but I've always loved the intro. I gave up on finding the video, but here's the audio:

Also, the intro to Nadesico was what I used to listen to on loop when I had to pull all-nighters in college to get me hyped and keep me awake:

The video is barely there, but I love the intro to Ayatsuri Sakon:

Finally, I really hate both of these series, because they're awful, but damn if the intros to Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan and Sousei no Aquarion aren't ear worms.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:25 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Yeah, if we're doing songs that are better than the OPs they run in, Heat Guy J's is probably on the top of my list (because I love JP buttrock).
Old 11-20-2015, 05:31 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Shh. Do you hear that? It's the 60s.

Old 11-20-2015, 05:44 PM
Better be the real thing.

The actual OP is down for copyright, so here's the full. I haven't even seen the show, I just love the song.

And since the Daicon IV opening came up earlier, let's check out this homage:

Old 11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
Goodbye!

Rediscovered this today.

Old 11-20-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Shh. Do you hear that? It's the 60s.

And a show so 60's that you forget it's from the 70's.

Oh and while I'm at it, here's the opening for Re: Cutey Honey. NSFW.

EDIT:

Between X and Akagi, I just remembered that I like when anime openings end abruptly.

Last edited by Johnny Unusual; 11-20-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Man, with a little better inbetweening, that would look ultra fierce. It's still pretty boss as it is, though
Old 11-20-2015, 07:45 PM
Boom

Default Sono Chi no Sadame! JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-JO!

All four of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure openings are prettying @#$%ing amazing. Phantom Blood in particular is awesome, mostly for the song.

Here are all four of them:

Old 11-20-2015, 07:50 PM
:tweet:

The Jojo OPs are fantastic--as I've said before, CG done right. If only mecha animes that used CG had that sort of quality...;-;
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
Man, with a little better inbetweening, that would look ultra fierce. It's still pretty boss as it is, though

Apparently it was a huge inspiration for the guy who did Kaiba and Ping Pong. And I mean, just the opening credits.

BTW, when I was playing Tekken (almost every day at the arcade) while I lived in North Korea, I stuck to a luchadore tag team with King and JC.

And now, sports:

Yeah, it's kind of generic shonen stuff, but it works for me.

I love Touch. The last scene with the asshole coach made me tear up.

And one's that aren't super amazing but I have some nostalgia for.

Old 11-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Okay, I'll be the one to post it. Let's be real, whatever your feelings about the show, this is a minute and a half of pure awesomeness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Bebop is just about the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
But I have to say Paranoia Agent's #1 because... Just... What.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:24 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Oh, and I wouldn't call them "great" but these Japanese openings to the 90's X-Men cartoon blew my brain when I first saw them.

FUCK YOU THAT WAS SUPER RAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Okay, I'll be the one to post it. Let's be real, whatever your feelings about the show, this is a minute and a half of pure awesomeness.
It's good but you should've put the REAL version:

Anyway, I always really liked the opening of the first episode of the Bubblegum Crisis OVA where they play the Blade Runner rip off song and show how shitty the future is, and then they do the Streets of Fire rip off song and show a rock concert intercut with the Knight Sabers fucking up a Terminator, but it's like 6 minutes long so it's kinda cheating.

So let's go with the opening to Episode 8, which has pretty much every single of my favorite 80s anime tropes condensed into a minute and 20 seconds. All of the lead voice actresses singing J-pop? Check. Girl is late for _____? Check. Running with the WAHHHH KAWAIII face? Check. People acting too cool to be doing what they're doing? Check. Protagonist can't wake up? Check.

Edit: So I watched Episode 1 again and I guess they don't fight the robot till AFTER the opening, and it's the rock concert and the police getting killed by the robot. LOOK I STILL LIKE IT OKAY GEEZ

Last edited by Alixsar; 11-20-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Goodbye!

+1ing Evangelion and Paranoia Agent.

I still know all the transliterated lyrics to Thesis of the Cruel Angel. I could rock it at karaoke.

It has been 16 years since I would have cared, but it's still up there. Rattlin' around. Up to no good.
Old 11-20-2015, 10:39 PM
Boom

Also a big fan of this:

Old 11-21-2015, 07:39 AM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

JAM Project is cheating a bit, but Machine Robo Rescue is a better show then it probably should have been.

Dragonar is the best Gundam show to be released in the 80s.

Of course, speaking of Gundam, Gundam X is criminally underappreciated.

I could probably link Gundam ops all day, but it would be better to look outside that box. Into a littler one. LBX has so many good openings.

SO MANY.

Gear Fighter Dendoh is so good and I'm still sad that the plans for a sequel never went anywhere.

Office workers, saving the day!

I'm not really going to call the Cybuster TV show all that good (though I did enjoy it), but it's op sure sounds like it was for a totally different show.

Infinite Ryvius asks: "What if Lord of the Flies had giant robots in it?"

I really like Iron Leaguer, and a friend and I have been trying to finally get it fansubbed. Unfortunately, our translator has been an incredible flake, so progress has been incredibly slow.

Ok, I should probably stop before I get too carried away.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:38 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

Old 11-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Space Prez

It makes more sense within the context of the series (i.e. it has nothing to do with modern Japan, it takes place in a fantasy setting)
Also couldn't find it with English subs, but the episodes themselves are pretty easy to track down.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:01 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Anybody here like slap guitar?

The ferocity with which they attack that stupid mascot character is a real highlight.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:06 PM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

HOW DID I MANAGE TO FORGET THESE I'm a terrible person.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Um Actually oil outlaw

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
It makes more sense within the context of the series (i.e. it has nothing to do with modern Japan, it takes place in a fantasy setting)
Also couldn't find it with English subs, but the episodes themselves are pretty easy to track down.
There's a Tower of Druaga anime? What? How? That doesn't... what?
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
Are you familiar with the game? Definitely check out the first episode.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:42 PM
poisonous thread snake

Pronouns: un-/non-/it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
There's a lot of nostalgia for Namco's early work in Japan.

The Giant Robo, Urashiman, and Tiger Mask OPs posted so far are really great.

Those X-Men ones were incredible. Never knew they existed. SHOCK!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Man, I forgot how aggressively depressing Argentosoma was. There's actually two Druaga anime (one show split into two halves, as I recall). Fairly fun and breezy, and both shows have the sense of being one piece of a larger whole despite it never going beyond that.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
There's actually two Druaga anime (one show split into two halves, as I recall). Fairly fun and breezy, and both shows have the sense of being one piece of a larger whole despite it never going beyond that.
Yup there were two - here's the opening of the second one:

There's also Planetes which isn't as amazing as some of these, but cool for essentially doing the same thing as Star Trek Enterprise, but better:

And I have an odd fondness for Witch Hunter Robin, which just feels very 90s music video too me:

And then there's Hell Girl, which very much feels like it's channeling Lain:
Old 11-25-2015, 02:23 PM
Banjo Kathoey

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them

Man, so I've been watching Gatchaman Crowds lately and on top of being kind of terrible it has one of the most amazingly engrish-y OPs I've seen in a long time. I like the parts where you can't tell if they're going for German or just flubbing their English that badly.

Old 11-26-2015, 08:55 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I know that Vision of Escaflowne's been compared to a telenovela in at least one other thread, but fuck it, I love the opening (and the rest of the music, because Yoko Kanno). Big, and hopeful, and adventurous.

Also, I love the opening of RahXephon. Probably one of my favorite shows of the early aughts.

And, yeah, sure, it's been posted several times already. Hell with it. I'm posting it again. The Utena theme is great. Revolutionary Girl Utena in general is great. More people need to watch it. If this helps that happen, then so much the better.

I also have a soft spot for the theme to S-Cry-ed, which has a terribly written name, and is basically Japanese X-Men (and not exactly amazing), but the theme is fantastic.

Going back to an earlier time... I don't love Tenchi Muyo! the way I did when I first watched it in... 2000? Yeah, 2000. Back then, at least in the crowd I hung out with at the time, it was just considered a classic, as opposed to a relic from a bygone age like it is now. But I can't help but be nostalgic for it nonetheless, and for some reason this song gets me every time.

Also one that's maybe more nostalgia than real quality, from Outlaw Star

I should probably stop now.

EDIT:

One more. How did I forget about this one? BECK Mongolian Chop Squad is great, and more people need to watch it, and the music in it is fantastic.

Last edited by Wolf; 11-26-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: No one can stop me. Not even me.

Tags
anime , anime is for jerks , don't watch anime , fuck an internet , japan , no lip-syncing , nostalgia , ohgodmybrowserisdying