The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 11-19-2015, 06:39 AM
PUNK ROCK VAMPIRE DESTROY

Pronouns: She/Her or They/Them
Default okay dorks lemme see your favourite anime openings cause I know you have them

I'll start.

The 2004 Phoenix anime is one of the better Tezuka adaptations, even if it still isn't very good. The intro seems fitting, with excellent music and art direction hampered by bad CG and occasionally being a little too on-the-nose about the themes of life, death, and rebirth present throughout the series. I really like that opening bit with the eclipse though.

The deliberate contrast of WataMote's manic, intense punk rock intro with its depressing, mundane subject matter is seriously brilliant. The scene of Tomoko breaking free of her chains at the end always gets me, because in the flow of the show itself, it almost always means that a strong inspirational visual metaphor is the last thing the viewer sees before the quiet, trivial suffering that inevitably permeates the show. Her hand sliding down behind the logo to quietly indicate that she's hurt herself in the process is just the icing on the cake.
...Too bad I can't find any Youtube versions without stuff added to avoid copyright sweeps.

You know what this is.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:50 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Old 11-19-2015, 07:14 AM

I had no idea there were so many seasons of Hidamari Sketch.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

xSP is just a couple of special OVAs.

I'd post some more but that suite will invite enough ridicule.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Rise

Pronouns: he / his

Tank! is certainly one of the best.

Cheating a little since it's Persona, but I love the music and personality of this opener for the original Animation:

And even though it recycles a fair amount of bits from the actual show, I do love the Trigun opening (mainly for its music and original clips that really exceed the show's general animation budget):

Old 11-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Banned

I seem to remember loving the music to Noir, but the OP videos I found were all copyright silenced. My second pick would be Trigun.

A tab I read once said it was played on a 7-string guitar! That's cool! I don't think it actually is!

Listening to it closer now...it's at LEAST two guitars overdubbed the whole time, but the effects make it even harder to pick out the separate parts. What I'm saying is, there was no fucking way I was going to replicate this sound in my college dorm room with a practice amp.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM
twinkling photon

[Bassy Australian man VO]: TURN A, GUNDAM

I was expecting to like the show based on the manga, but I wasn't expecting it to be this good, you know? The OP in particular is a standout, one minute and thirty seconds of keyframe artists having the time of their fucking lives

gan gan GAN GAN

Oof. One of the few cases where off/unclear English works in the song's favor; there's so many ways to hear the chorus's refrain that I prefer it without subtitles.

On that note,

Didn't look for a visual version because it's all about the song. It's just a bitchin song, you know
Old 11-19-2015, 08:12 AM
Fifth Business

AKAGI

Once you get past the slightly silly first few seconds, it becomes something very soulful and atmospheric, and a potent mood-setter for the show that I never skipped. The show itself rarely touches on Akagi's inner life, so the tranquil, wandering solitude of this actually helps complement and inform the show's characterization of him by actually showing him during his 'off-hours', implying something subtle and bittersweet about both him and his world, and makes the rare glimpses you get of who he really is outside of gambling in the show itself all the more intriguing. Alas, after some slow-burn character-study moments mixed in with the first half of the show, Washizu shows up and it all gets swept off the table to focus on what truly matters: A SINGLE ENDLESS GAME OF MAHJONG

BACCANO

A really fun, bouncy, and conceptually clever intro that manages to be loud and sneaky at the same time. By apparently showing and naming every significant character, it not only acts as a helpful pre-episode refresher for the sprawling interconnected cast and helps you know who to keep your eyes on, it also plays some tricks, by molding your expectations with some characters who might end up not getting the screen-time or role you expect, and my favorite touch, it subtly includes one character of major significance without drawing attention to them; yet this means that once the audience is in the know about their identity, that character is still properly represented in the intro, as they should be, and they were the whole time. It foreshadows plenty without spoiling anything.

GIGANTOR

GIGAAANTOOOOOOR
GIGAAANTOOOOOOR
GIGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAANTOOOOOR
Old 11-19-2015, 08:14 AM
twinkling photon

I'd like to give an honorable mention to experimental jazzman Otomo Yoshihide's masterful, ear-destroying cover of the Giant Robo theme.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:37 AM

I'm gonna go through all of these when I get back from work, but before I leave...

GA GA GA

GA GA GA

GAO GAI GAR

Old 11-19-2015, 08:56 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

They would all be robot bollocks wouldn't they.

Edit: And Mahjongg, acknowledging the Mahjongg.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

I like the classics that are all "FUCK yeah! Adventure!"

BONUS:

Yeah this one's the dub but the nostalgia is just overpowering.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
I had no idea there were so many seasons of Hidamari Sketch.
With so much wideface, I can't believe that wasn't a bunglepost.

Anyway, I keep up with new anime less and less as time goes on, so I usually just trot out the same set from the 90s and 00s...

Let go of it, take my revolution!

This one's a bit dated, but the song is so energetic and fills me with nostalgia --it's one of the first OPs I saw when I was juuuust getting into the hobby. I get the chills at the moment when the quiet animation and lyrics suddenly EXPLODE into action.

Speaking of dated animation, wow, some of this has serious panning issues, but it doesn't matter. In a genre that's all about "hot-blooded youths", it doesn't get any hotter than Pegasus Fantasy.

On the complete opposite end --an extremely simplistic opening animation, but the song absolutely makes it. And while I never watched the spinoff --I heard too many bad things about it-- its own OP makes some very interesting promises, and, well, Yoko Kanno. Can't go wrong there.

This one will always be one of my favorites. I LOVE the tribal drums and the historical narrative, but, most of all, I love that key segments evolve as the series does: the last version of the OP (this one is about mid-series) has a moment that made my jaw drop (the Astronaut finally disappearing from Hachi's mind instead of opposing him.)

Considering this series deals with very similar themes to Macross, the fact I love this OP better than most Mac ones is saying something.

Aaaaaah, iyaaah, aa-ah, a magnificent mushroom cloud in the sky!

It's a shame the show itself couldn't be as adventurous and varied as this OP promises.

And for a series filled with very high-quality openings, this one is the absolute best.

Since there's far too many great Urusei Yatsura OPs, I'll just go with the best way top open any other Takahashi series.

...I can't believe this is the only viable version I found on YouTube. I mean, it's the obligatory choice.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
I like the classics that are all "FUCK yeah! Adventure!"
If it's adventure you want, you can't do better than Nadia. Blue skies in every direction.

You're Under Arrest (the original OVA) combines a rousingly upbeat song with lavishly detailed visuals and dynamic cinematography. They literally do not make them like this anymore. (Unfortunately, copyright watchdogs have wiped it from YouTube, at least with the audio intact—hence the NicoNico link.)

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor is mostly notable for the incredibly energetic and inspirational song, but the visuals complete the picture—and the spliced-in, neon-filtered live action shots make it one of the most delightfully nineties things you'll ever see.

Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight is the go-to example of a show that evidently blew its entire budget on the OP. Maaya Sakamoto sings.

A bit of a cheat since it served as the opening to a convention rather than a show, but the Daicon IV animation is so amazing that it never should have existed.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:44 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

I can only imagine Zef's teeth bled from the strain of not picking a single AIC opening

See above the platonic solid of the AIC opening. Thankfully they filed the serial numbers off of Marche Slave rather than go with 90s jpop.

Fun Fact: The El-Hazard OST has a vocal track that kicks off with a dude shouting FUCK OFF BABY in a disarmingly chipper voice.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 AM
asleep at the wheel

Dragon Quest: Adventures of Dai
I'm a sucker for dang near anything DQ, and I love this series in particular because the hero's a kid that was raised by a bunch of your standard DQ monsters, and he only sets out on his quest because he wants to save them from the Big Bad that's making all the other monsters in the world go berserk. Really nice quality animation in this opener, and the music does a good job of conveying a sense of energy and adventure.

Lupin III--second series--alt. opening
Still one of my favorite series, Tom Bodette sounding Goemon and all. I love how this opener manages to balance effortless style with Lupin's trademark goofiness.
e:
this one might be NSFW too if we're counting the naked mannequin Fujiko firing a machine gun bit. :/

Gegege no Kitaro 60s opening
I love the atmospheric build-up to the actual song (which is pretty adorable to me!), and the sort of grainy monochrome quality of the original recording only adds to the mood, in my opinion.

Soul Eater--Reaonance
I love the crazy-dynamic animation in this one, and the emphasis on how Maka gets goddamned scary when she's in fight mode. I would've done an in-line video on this one, but it's pretty NSFW because there's some naked catgirl in there because of course there is.

Last edited by That Old Chestnut; 11-19-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
A bit of a cheat since it served as the opening to a convention rather than a show, but the Daicon IV animation is so amazing that it never should have existed.
The Passion of Itano
Old 11-19-2015, 11:02 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Takeda-san, they cried, spare him. Spare Itano from those key frames. His eyes bulge, the sweat runs like blood, his hands are claws! The Circus... The Circus is killing him

And Takeda sighed a deep sigh. The fools did not see:

It was The Circus that gave him life
Old 11-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Family Man

I truly love this Lassie anime's opening.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:26 AM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

The song in Log Horizon's OP is so absurd I can't help but like it.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Everything Is A Cave

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Old Chestnut View Post

Lupin III--second series--alt. opening
Still one of my favorite series, Tom Bodette sounding Goemon and all. I love how this opener manages to balance effortless style with Lupin's trademark goofiness.

the original got taken down, and the only other place ive been able to find it is on swfchan

its got sky surfing, giant robots and sky surfing giant robot fights

its pretty good
Old 11-19-2015, 12:57 PM
King Of Space-Time

A number of my faves are present already, but let's see here...

Love the military cadence on this

The show changes tone much like the intro

A lot of the music in this series is great.

Bit of a big band vibe here

SO METAL!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:36 PM
Better be the real thing.

I don't really have much to say about them, so I'll just list 'em.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:41 PM
:O

Because I think you should all embrace your sins
Old 11-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Can't peeve the Sheev

I'm boring.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:15 PM
Not a Beer

Pronouns: he/him (usually)

Looks like I got to this thread a little late and I really should be working so I don't have time to dig up more that haven't already been posted, but I'm a little scared that so far I have about a 90% rate of being able to hear all these songs in my head without hitting play. Probably higher than that for the pre-2000 stuff.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:49 PM

Aw man, Zodar took all mine. So... let me just bulk post some giant robot stuff real quick.

Oh hey, the 80s and 90s link I had died. Eh. Just take this one then.

Oh and I almost forgot the most serious dramatic and manly anime ever:

Last edited by Googleshng; 11-19-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Goodbye!

I didn't care much for the Lodoss TV show (the pacing felt like bad GMing, which I guess is true to the material) but the opening was tremendously good and set fantastic atmosphere.

I kind of dug Gantz the show, even though it's pretty trashy and the manga devolves into real garbage. The theme song by Rip Slyme is part of why I still like it.

The opening to season two of Stand Alone Complex is the best. Like a Sino russo Imogen Heap.

These are ones I like without any distancing or qualification, as well as some already in this thread (Cowboy Bebop, Lain). There are others I like but very much in context, like Hunter x Hunter or other similarly rousing shonen themes. I don't put them on any playlists.

Here's a qualified fav: the 2nd Gintama opening. The screechy singing makes it.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Old 11-19-2015, 04:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I can only imagine Zef's teeth bled from the strain of not picking a single AIC opening
To be honest, I didn't really watch much of their output. The Tenchi OAVs released through the 90s (didn't follow up when they finally continued), the OMG OAVs, and a cursory look through Wikipedia tells me they also made Pumpkin Scissors and, surprise, Macross II, but that's it. I only watched El Hazard about five years ago. So, yeah. Not enough exposure or repeated viewings, I guess.

To follow up with a few more:

Have excellent memories of this show, as it was my college club's primary fansubbing project --and then Right Stuf released an incredible Latin American sub of their own. Good on them.

The Most Awesome Number One riff on Beethoven's Ninth.

That spinning flyover over the castle must've cost them too much, since the rest of the show was reduced to a slideshow. Shame, it's basically a musical Slayers with even more extreme shifts between humor and serious adventure.

Tags
anime , anime is for jerks , don't watch anime , fuck an internet , japan , no lip-syncing , nostalgia , ohgodmybrowserisdying