The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

I've had a bad back for a few years now and the Stronglifts routine (or, well, perhaps my naivete and enthusiasm) left my spine in tatters after a bit and I had to stop.

Can anyone recommend some strength exercises that are a little easier on the back? Stronglifts was nice because I was able to go in with a plan. I think I need that rather than puttering around. The work gym I'm using has a pretty standard run of basic equipment as well as a few specialized machines as well. I can do a video walkthrough of it if you think that would help.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Sorry to hear about a bad back. I hope that doesn't happen to me.

I underestimated the severity of the damage done by my tangle with a tree. My shoulder blade area has gotten worse, though it was definitely exacerbated by the big move this past weekend (girlfriend moved down from northern PA, I moved over across the river, now we live together, like whoa). I think I've learned what a muscle spasm is. Sometimes something will set it off and it gets so tight and the pain is sharp and shooting. I thought I might have bruised or cracked a rib, but now I'm thinking it's a muscle tear or a nasty strain. Might need to see a doc. No kettlebell for a while! Damn it. Gonna have to put more time into running it seems. At least today nothing set it off in spasms, but uh, I think it came close...
Old 06-07-2018, 06:57 PM

Postin' again? Its been a while. Great to read all about y'alls gains!

My body got reeeeaaaal injured again from training 10 billion times a week. And so the story goes. At least I'm really good at fighting now! I've been on pure bodyweight training, but my wrist is permafucked so push exercises can be tricky. Important records, post injury:

Deadlift: still at 530lbs, but I can't push it any more than that. I think I'll let it taper down to 450 or so and be happy with that.

Pull ups: I can do 3 one arm pull ups in a row, which is dope. When I was FULL PAIN mode pull ups were virtually all I could do, so these have been a big emphasis.

Front lever: Held that shit for 1 minute. God save the Queen, bruh.

Otherwise, I trained about 25-30 hours a week of Muay Thai and MMA for 5 months and made fantastic progress. I was prepped to fight and did some semi-bullshit stuff to get "certified" as an instructor, and running classes was pretty dope. I trained under a pro-MT fighter from the Philippines with over 100 fights under his belt, and his training was hella dope even if the rest of the gym was kind of lacking (Bad training culture, bad equipment, extremely variable quality of instructors, creepy gym owner who flirted incessantly with female gym goers, etc). I spent too much money on training all together, but the private lessons REALLY paid off.

Also, fighting is so interesting and you could spend an eternity analyzing the dynamics of fighting. Controlling the space, ring craft and counter hitting where my main focuses. My intent was to fight with as little damage to myself and my opponent as possible: win by points but if the opponent starts to dial it up don't be afraid to kill them. Fun shit. It took about 3 months of really hard training and constant sparring at different intensities to be able to really keep my cool in the ring and actively apply all these strategies. My total martial arts experience is a little under two years, now, with 5 months of bullshit hard training.

Couldn't fight, unfortunately. I have been recovering my ankle since November and my ability to Punch is probably compromised forever. I've been doing Kendo, which is much "gentler" but still has similar thrills in terms of mind games, risk, reward etc. Been doing some HEMA, too. I also got a girlfriend and have been doing latin ballroom dance, which is way harder than lifting or fighting.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
I've had a bad back for a few years now and the Stronglifts routine (or, well, perhaps my naivete and enthusiasm) left my spine in tatters after a bit and I had to stop.

Can anyone recommend some strength exercises that are a little easier on the back? Stronglifts was nice because I was able to go in with a plan. I think I need that rather than puttering around. The work gym I'm using has a pretty standard run of basic equipment as well as a few specialized machines as well. I can do a video walkthrough of it if you think that would help.
Bodyweight stuff is a lot gentler, generally. Push ups for example still use the back, if done right, but shouldn't put too much pressure on. I fucked up a disc a while back and while I was out from squatting and deadlifting I was actually able to increase the DL and maintain the squat just through really turning up the intensity on bodyweight stuff.

Pull Ups/Dips
Push Ups/Horizontal Rows

Are basically all you need for upper body. I did loaded carries and bodyweight squats for lower body.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:55 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

i've missed posting in this thread! I took a deload week this week, I feel like I've topped out on Madcow 5x5 for now. I start a new program called Pump Dragon on Monday from Lift Big, Eat Big which is focused on a starter compound exercise each day and then a truly insane amount of volume accessory work. The workout changes every day so I probably won't be posting my workouts like I used to, but I will be taking before and after shots.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:13 PM
We just don't know.

Thornghost: Which exercises were wrecking your back?

For my particular brand of fucked-up back (scheuermann's kyphosis, a rounded back causing a hunch, though luckily not an extreme case) back squats only exacerbate the posture problems I have, encouraging a hunch forward. Having the bar up higher on my shoulders is less problematic than having it low across my back. Following that, I actually started primarily doing front squats instead - they kept my posture the most upright, allowing me to squat with a better form without encouraging my skeleton's natural problems, allowing me to address that. You usually can't do as much weight and they engage slightly different chains than the back squat, but ultimately a squat is a squat.

There's also the way I dealt with deadlifts, which is less specific and widely applicable to any lift: tighten way the fuck up and protect your form above all else, and if you can't do the lift without compromising your form and posture, then you can't do the lift. You might have to start back a little lower, but it's for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Been doing some HEMA, too.
motherfucker WHAT?!

You'd best get to body movin' and tell us (me) EVERYTHING ABOUT THAT
Old 06-08-2018, 07:33 PM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

Stronglifts consists of back squats, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows and deadlifts. By my estimation I'm probably going to have to ditch everything but the bench press.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:52 PM
HAMKING

Trap deads, low handles, full stop: 510# x 3. Felt good and snappy. Did a bunch of lighter triples and GHRs as assistance.

Sweatboi:

Old 06-14-2018, 10:24 AM

I shall talk about HEMA! It also took me 30 minutes to find this thread because I kept looking in Everything but evidently lifting is the Only Thing.

4 one arm pull ups yesterday, yo.

Also, UUDD, Pump Dragon is fuckin' rad name so it's probably a good program (This is how this works).
Old 06-22-2018, 08:21 PM
HAMKING

Have had three good lifting sessions this week and a lot of good conditioning amd rugby training besides. Feels good.

Hit 365# x 12 on the yoke bar, hit 3 sets of 6 (THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST) ony heaviest pushup band, and today I did this with 465#:

Wearing a collared shirt adds +5 to the snappiness of your reps. Happy with that set and with the fact that I cut it off before it got sloppy.

Last edited by Mokrap of Croton; 06-22-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:37 PM
HAMKING

Deloading this week. Capped off a 6 week cycle last week, played in a 7s rugby tournament over the weekend. Feels like a good time to slow the lifting down for a week and recover. Conditioning and rugby practice will stay full steam, though.

Car push sprints today! Got a nice quad pump afterward. Here’s the beef:

Old 07-12-2018, 12:20 PM
HAMKING

Goddamnit, people, if you don't post in here YOU ARE WASTING YOUR GAINS

Capped off my deload week with a strongman-style session Saturday. Farmer walks followed by car pushes. Started the farmers at 205# each hand, did 3 or 4 down and back the driveway with a 180 degree turn. Did two more with a pause instead of a turn. Then one more at 185# each hand with a turn, then moved on to the car (and then on to being very very tired).

More car pushing Monday, Tuesday was supposed to lift but had to work late so I just did rowing sprints supersetted with pushups. I'll still get my three lifting sessions in, just on different days.

Squatted on the yoke last night and hit 395# x 8 on my top set, which I'm pleased with. Glute ham raises, neck stuff, and ab wheelies as assistance.

Tonight is rugby practice, followed by beerz and wingz with the boyz for GOOD CLEAN RECOVERY MEAL
Old 07-12-2018, 03:01 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokrap of Croton View Post
Goddamnit, people, if you don't post in here YOU ARE WASTING YOUR GAINS
Man, crashing into a tree did more of a number on me than I thought. I'm gonna talk to a doctor about it on Monday though. For the most part, it seems to be a lot better, but there was back and forth for a few weeks, with some really damn painful spasms happening. I just don't wanna try to do kettlebell and planks and restrain and end up back at step 1 of recovery.

Until then, I'm trying to run with more frequency. Looks like I'll be waking up around 0500 to get a run in before work tomorrow....
Old 07-14-2018, 11:52 AM

I've been doing MORE bodyweight stuff. 30 cleaaaaan pull ups make the record now. 53 messy ass pull ups if we're playing that way.

Mostly been focusing on static holds (FRONT LEVER AYYYYYYYYY, L SIT YEAAAAAH) and mobility shit to strengthen my tendons and shit. I finally started working on the back lever. Verdict: it is hard as FUCK.

Also I'm suuuuuuper into the HEMA I've been doing since Muay Thai destroyed my body and I'm doing that every day. I've learned my limits from training Muay Thai so much and so hard so I'm being careful. I do an hour of Scottish Broadsword work every morning before work, emphasis right now is on footwork. Just an hour of walkin' and lungin'. My butt is getting powerful in ways different from ever before.

I ate the best poutine I have ever had today ama
Old 07-14-2018, 12:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

This thread is so beastly. I can't wait until I can do more than like two or three messy pullups again.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:27 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Well almost two months off of workouts made me a wuss really quickly. It's sad how heavy a 35 lb kettlebell feels for overhead press.

But I've done a couple of workouts now and my shoulder blade did not go into painful spasms, thank god. Back on that horse again. I hope to regain my strength!

(I hope I never get into a fight with a tree again, cause that shit hurts.)
Old 07-28-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Sly Ry View Post
Well almost two months off of workouts made me a wuss really quickly. It's sad how heavy a 35 lb kettlebell feels for overhead press.

But I've done a couple of workouts now and my shoulder blade did not go into painful spasms, thank god. Back on that horse again. I hope to regain my strength!

(I hope I never get into a fight with a tree again, cause that shit hurts.)
Ain't nothing wuss about it. You're hitting it hard and heavy and Brodin commends you.
Old 07-28-2018, 12:20 PM
HAMKING

I second Galahad! You are back in action and that’s what matters.

—-

Capped off a good week. Hit a yoke bar PR Tuesday with 415# x 5. This morning I hit a (full stop) trap bar deadlift PR woth 520# x 3.

Here are some ugly Garagym loads and then a flexxx

415# on the yoke

520# on the trap

Drinkin my shake and DEFINITELY NOT FLEXING AT ALL

Old 07-28-2018, 12:58 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Squatting is a hard look at my joint heath and wondering if the benefits of the barbell squat are worth the strain on knee, hip, and groin.
You can do barbell squats without going for max heavy weight. Doing that is probably healthier for your joints than not squatting at all.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:33 PM

I have some shoulders

https://twitter.com/upupdowndown/sta...35767594029057
Old 07-31-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
That's a goddamn buffet of deltoid. Three course meal of prime shoulder meat.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 AM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
*boulders*
Old 07-31-2018, 09:05 AM
Tell me about your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
That's a goddamn buffet of deltoid. Three course meal of prime shoulder meat.
Signed, signed.

Speaking of shoulders, I wrecked my anterior delts on my 5x5 bench press yesterday (they're more sore than any part of my body right now), so I'm thinking it's time to try a closer grip, and possibly a form check. (The culprit could have been incline dumbbell bench too I suppose)
Old 07-31-2018, 02:39 PM

aw shucks, thanks guys

I'm fluffier around the middle right now than I prefer - stress and lots of travel have not been good for diet consistency these past few months - but now that the boy is local, I've been doing a good job of staying on diet and I'm already feeling the results. Going to really push it through just after Labor Day, then Mr. LRLR and I are gonna be on an 8 night vacation to Seattle and Portland.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Please to enjoy this bodybuilding dot com thread about lifting every other day that erupts into a spirited discussion about how many days are in a week
Old 08-02-2018, 08:40 PM
HAMKING

My brother and I talk about that thread all the fucking. It is pure glory.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:18 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

extremely every person who comments on every youtube video from sbnation voice yes but where is jon bois
Old 08-03-2018, 09:00 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Two workouts back at the 45 pounder/planks, my side planks are pretty good, my normal planks are suffering, and I've already a gaping wound on my hand due to tearing off a callous.

The gods are good.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:49 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Yesterday, 45 pounder kbell workout. Three minute side planks, one per side. That ain't bad. Still working to get my normal planks up to speed. They'll get there.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:49 AM
HAMKING

Good work, Sly!

—-

No lifting for me this week due to bruised ribs from rugby. Still doing conditioning (kettlebell, rowing, running) and rugby practice, but not a great time to try to brace up under a barbell. Fine time for a deload, anyhow!

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead