The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 08-11-2015, 04:01 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

Felt like I was going to die after doing squats today, figure that's most likely a good sign.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:34 PM
HAMKING

Yeah, that's how that works, as far as I can tell! Enjoy your deathfeels!

_____

Deadlift day

Deadlift: 415 x 3*, 470 x 3*, 530 x 3, 415 x 3, 3, 3*

RDL: 245 5 x 10

The asterisked sets were done with the hook grip. The 530 set was with mixed. The RDL's were regular double overhand. I am making some progress with the hook!

Incidentally, trying to figure out if my health insurance covers robotic thumb replacement.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

My squatting last night was pretty great. Squats Tuesdays, chest Thursdays, back Saturdays is the pattern I'm gonna stick with.

Don't use hook grip guys, come on now
Old 08-11-2015, 08:49 PM
albret einstong

Been seeing a lot of progress with my lifting lately!

-Broke 200 lbs. on my squat.

-Finally stopped being That Guy and started doing a real leg day, instead of just squatting on arm day.

-Finally learned how to deadlift properly without hurting my back. Fun Fact: the solution was to do what literally everyone here has said and watch a Mark Rippetoe video explaining how to do them right.

-Started flexing at myself in the mirror constantly. I guess weightlifting has awakened my latent douchebro? It's bad.

For leg days: what non-squat leg exercises do you guys do? Right now, I do calf raises, lunges (although these sometimes cause weird hip pain so I don't know if I should continue), and both variations of that weird machine where you like squeeze your legs closed or press them open. It's really more of a groin-ish exercise but I don't know what else to do on leg day.

Also: does anyone know of any good conditioning regimens for sprinting? I've been playing a lot of ultimate frisbee (see: latent douchebro) and I've noticed that I get gassed pretty quickly from constant sprinting. I'm fine with my current top speed, I just wish I could do it for longer. Any tips?
Old 08-11-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliScrub View Post
If you were going to learn power cleans anyway, you could try power cleaning into front squats. And your front squat generally lags behind your back squat so you'll have room to grow.

also front squats are awesome
That sounds like solid advice. I'll try it!
Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Emcee, I'm glad that your IRON JOURNEY continues! I wish we could put a sticky at the top of the thread that tells everyone to look up Rippetoe when they're learning the big standard barbell compound lifts.

today was high-rep legs.

walking lunges: bodyweight for 13, 14, 13. Decided to revisit my form on these and get a lot stricter and lower. Surprise, it's a lot harder!

kettlebell swings: 40 lbs for 44x2, 43.

squats: 155 lbs for 3x13.

hip abductions: 110 lbs for 4x20, 13.

standing calf raisesL 140 lbs for 6x50. Awesome! i'll move up to 165 next time.

had to cut goblet squats for time but I still feel pretty good about what I accomplished today.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:42 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadrome View Post
Thus far, in my new job as a dishwasher, I haven't had a single day without experiencing some kind of pain or injury.
Jesus dude get out of the restaurant biz unless your long-term goals in life are centered entirely on suffering and poverty
Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Jesus dude get out of the restaurant biz unless your long-term goals in life are centered entirely on suffering and poverty
Don't worry, he's 1) still a teen and 2) in Canada. Let your fears be laid to rest.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:08 AM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Don't worry, he's 1) still a teen and 2) in Canada. Let your fears be laid to rest.
Okay, but just this once.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Little do my employers know I'm only going to be working there for a month before taking off to school. I also managed to negotiate an extra dollar of pay despite having no qualifications, so things aren't too bad. I weirdly enjoy the dishwashing it just does weird things to my body. Right now I'm just putting in a couple of 44 hour work weeks to scrounge up some cash.

This is my second restaurant job and I never want to do it again.
-----
As for lifting my leg feels a little bit wonky but mostly better. I'm going to do my shoulder/tricep workout today and hopefully I'll feel good enough for DLs tomorrow.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00 AM

Leg feeling too wonky for 40 minute walk there and back to the gym + hoisting heavy ass weights. Instead I did a 2 minute walk to the park and busted out some body weight work:

10 Pull Ups supersetted with 20 push ups. Did this 10 times with no rest. Died.

Front lever work, holding tucked lever for 30 seconds. 3 sets of that.

3 sets of minute long wrestler bridges.

And then 30 second one arm hangs.

Pretty good workout, all in all. Tomorrow I'll do my shoulder workout.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM

good work, young Galahad!

today was high-rep shoulders day.

machine shoulder press: moved back up to 110 lbs for 3x20, 17, 11.

cable front raises: 22.5 lbs on each side for 3x15, 13.

DB lateral raises: moved back up to 40s for 20, 15, 11.

scaptions: 30s for 2x20, 16.

shrugs: 65s for 4x50, 38. new weight!

Really solid day, I'm stoked. Off to Chicago this afternoon but rest assured I will get in my high-rep arms day tomorrow, dang it
Old 08-13-2015, 07:13 AM
Banned

I had a pretty damn good chest day today, the highlight of which was I CAN DO DIPS AGAIN! I have to take it easy though. I did 5, 5, and 3 and felt my poor injured but healing wrist was near its limit, but still that's progress!
Old 08-13-2015, 08:45 AM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Congrats TK. Yeah, you folks with lingering strains/injuries, have a little mercy on yourself. Brodin understands the need for recovery. He wants you strong, not injured. Good job, everyone.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 PM
We just don't know.

Just saw a Swolkyrie, who probably weighed half of my all-time deadlift max, pull up three plates (which is way more than said max). Truly she is blessed by Thrud, daughter of Thor, and inspiration to us all.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:35 PM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Just saw a Swolkyrie, who probably weighed half of my all-time deadlift max, pull up three plates (which is way more than said max). Truly she is blessed by Thrud, daughter of Thor, and inspiration to us all.
*swoon*

@TK: Hell yeah! Good to hear.

@Galahad: I imagine children at the park becoming inspired. Or just thinking that they saw an actual superhero.

@uudd: You are Spinal Tap's amps.

________

Shoulder is feeling a lot better, but I'm going to wait until I can't even feel a ghost of this strain before I press or bench again. So, today I did a shitload of farmer's walks and one-arm rows.

B took a pic of me carrying a total of 410#. My face is at "damn that's heavy" levels of stupid.

Old 08-14-2015, 04:46 PM
HAMKING

Double post, unh

SKWAT DEY

325# x 3, 370# x 3, 420# x 11 (pr! fuck yeah!), 325# x 10, 10

High bar squats 225# 2 x 12

landmines

Honestly, after the pr set everything just kinda pooped out. The spirit left me, but I was happy. Switched to high bar once it felt like I couldn't do any really heavy stuff anymore, since I suck at high bar and can't do much weight there. Was fun and I felt like I actually had good form in that stance for once!
Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 PM

Default Bulking Up: Weightlifting thread for Skinny People (or anyone who wants to be...

My high reps arm day sucked but it counts for double because I did it on vacation, so there, nyeh

Also holy fuck that PR
Old 08-15-2015, 07:03 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Oh Ample Boy

The Ruck

The Ruck is Calling
Old 08-16-2015, 01:41 AM

I've been shit about working out this week, but I also don't think 1 week off is that bad. Wednesday I can get back to it.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I've been shit about working out this week, but I also don't think 1 week off is that bad. Wednesday I can get back to it.
I missed my first work out in an eternity due to having 3 killer night shifts in a row

Next week my schedule is actually reasonable so the weights will be lifted with due gusto.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Butternut Squash

So I was talking to someone who said I basically need to SMASH IT M8 with as much weight as I can manage, or I wont improve. So I did, few reps, but max weight. Sore today. :c

But! I could lift, press, etc a lot more than I thought I was capable of. So even though I'll be moving like I have tubes on my limbs for the next few days, I feel like progress has been made.
Old 08-16-2015, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo View Post
So I was talking to someone who said I basically need to SMASH IT M8 with as much weight as I can manage, or I wont improve. So I did, few reps, but max weight. Sore today. :c

But! I could lift, press, etc a lot more than I thought I was capable of. So even though I'll be moving like I have tubes on my limbs for the next few days, I feel like progress has been made.
That's kind of my philosophy.
Old 08-16-2015, 11:00 AM
HAMKING

Yeah, you should push yourself BUT not too much. Finding that balance between pushing your limits and destroying yourself is one of the keys to this whole thing. You just have to know your body and how it responds to pressure.

I try to have at least one set every workout where I just go apeshit balls out and really get after that ass. Can't do that all the time, though. Not for long, anyway.

____

Did about 3.5 miles with the dogs on a trail yesterday with the weight vest. My legs were protesting a little at the beginning, since I had squatted the day before. Then they loosened up. Then they got really angry. It was cool, though, everyone had a good time even though it was armpit hot.

Did a ton of lawnmower pushes today.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:30 PM

YO

FUCK

YO

SHIT

HEY

YO

Just did a one arm pull up.

Will get a video later.

I re-watched the Creed trailer and just went out and WRECKED it.

Fuck.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Tausendsassa

Holy smokes, Galadrome. Amazing!

I moved some heavy furniture today in anticipation of receiving my grand piano later this week. It will be going in my weightlifting dungeon downstairs family room.

I will not be moving the piano because it's like five times my weight and is worth twice what I am (according to my life insurance payout).
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
Holy smokes, Galadrome. Amazing!
Dude.

in recompense for my shitty, shitty high rep arms day on Friday (that I had to pay FIFTEEN DOLLARS for in order to get a day pass to World Gym on Montrose in Chicago), I ended up having a nice start to the week today with heavy chest and calves.

bench press: 165 for 12 to warm up, then 215 for 5, 225 for 2x5, and 235 for 4, 3.

decline DB presses: 85s for 3x8, 7. My form on these was especially rockin' and disciplined today so I was pleased with my reps.

cable crossovers: 60 lbs on each side for 3x8, 7. those last two reps were accompanied by some embarrassingly loud sounds.

seated machine calf raises: 190 lbs for 4x20, 11. new weight!

considering how bad my sleep was last night, this workout was like a divine gift. And tomorrow is deadlift day! I AM EXCITE.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:32 PM

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...type=2&theater

Shitty Facebook vid of the one arm pull up. Enjoy.

EDIT: Just realized I don't even know if people can view it via this link but whatever.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:17 PM
Banned

We can view it. Nice work!
Old 08-18-2015, 07:56 AM

Galadrome is our baby BeastLord

today was heavy back. I was all excited for it, and I got much better sleep last night than I did Sunday.

so of course the workout blew chunks :c

deadlift: 225 for 6, 315 for 5, 345 for 3, 365 for 1, 335 for 3. I started feeling upchucky once I hit 345 so I didn't push as hard as I could have.

bentover barbell rows: 225 for 2x8, 4, 6.

t-bar rows: 205 for 3x8, 6.

assisted pullups: 90 lbs for 2x3, 4. Decided to add these back in for the upper back activation.

one arm rows: 110 for 2x9, 5.

i'll have to do forearms and cardio after work.

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead