The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Slammaster

Would you? The system has a 50hz option... does that not do what I think it does?
Old 12-04-2018, 08:47 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Would you? The system has a 50hz option... does that not do what I think it does?
I don't want to play them in 50Hz, it's terrible. And if it allows you to speed it up to 60Hz it'll break games like Super Metroid where the PAL conversion sped up Samus' movement but nothing else.

If I'd got a 60Hz collection it'd be a no brainer though.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:22 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
My cartridge collection is 50Hz, so I'd have to rebuy everything. That's my main barrier.
Just buy an everdrive cart?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:21 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
I don't want to play them in 50Hz, it's terrible. And if it allows you to speed it up to 60Hz it'll break games like Super Metroid where the PAL conversion sped up Samus' movement but nothing else.

If I'd got a 60Hz collection it'd be a no brainer though.
I see, but aren't you playing the games in 50hz on original hardware as it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
You don't need to! There's a jailbroken firmware that will let you play games from an SD card. It doesn't do special chips, but neither does a Super Everdrive, you need an SD2SNES for those.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:21 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Actually, the Mega SG might be better for me, perversely because the PAL conversions were even worse (which the console can fix, apparently) and the Megadrive mini consoles are terrible.

Quote:
I see, but aren't you playing the games in 50hz on original hardware as it is?
Yes, but I don't want to pay for the dubious pleasure of doing it again. I actually knew how bad it was back in the day, but importing was a major pain in the neck.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Got a new phone yesterday as an early Xmas present from Dad! A shiny new LG Stylo 4, to replace my crappy ol' LG Optimus Zone. Got its own li'l stylus for precision touching, and it's actually compatible with new stuff! Like, I'm seeing games I didn't before on the ol' Galileo tablet or Huawei.

Anyway, here's some of the stuff I've tested it on. Initial impressions here, might be subject to change later. Spoilerpop'd for size.

Pac-Man: Works great!

Digimon Links: Loaded better, but kinda slow visually. Deleted it 'cuz I finally got bored of it, though.

Jade Empire: Refuses to even load up. But to be frank, I should just get the dang game on my Xbox 360 anyway 'cuz it's a lot more controller reliant than KOTOR.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic: Runs great once I turned off high quality graphics. Like, "runs better than it did on Xbox" great. Will definitely be playing more of this.

King of Dragon Pass: Runs great and unlike on my Huawei it's the actual damn HD version.

Super Monkey Ball: Sakura Edition: First game I played not on my other devices. Runs very well, but I'm not keeping it on my phone 'til I can be arsed to pay the $2 to banish the intrusive ads straight to the depths of Hell.

Shadowgate: Runs alright, but like my Galileo it doesn't really fit the screen properly. Game was never really designed to take into account Android's differing resolutions.

Romancing SaGa 2: See Shadowgate.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions: Runs well.

Final Fantasy V: Runs well and the text seems to no longer be buggy.

Final Fantasy II: Won't even load up. Drat.

Dragon Quest III: Loaded up but won't acknowledge touch inputs. Double drat!

Pokémon GO: Works, but GPS wasn't working. Might just be 'cuz I was inside, though. Will test outdoors later.

Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate: Loaded up fine, but I haven't done extensive in-game testing yet. Will do so soon.

The tl;dr is that while I'm disappointed that it didn't work with some things, it worked great with other things. Probably will get the Don't Starve apps and Neverwinter Nights soon, as part of my continuing mission to turn my mobile devices into miniature PC gaming machines. Might temporarily add Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp back on too, I'm feeling the decorating itch again.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:30 PM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

So: Monsterboy is out this week. Please some one play it and report back!
Old 12-04-2018, 04:56 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 12-04-2018, 07:27 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
So: Monsterboy is out this week. Please some one play it and report back!
Sitting on my home screen taunting me, can’t connect to this stupid hotel network to activate it.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
That's fascinating. Nintendo have always been clever at solutions to problems.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:02 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Actually, the Mega SG might be better for me, perversely because the PAL conversions were even worse (which the console can fix, apparently) and the Megadrive mini consoles are terrible.
I can confirm in emulators if you boot up a PAL game and just change the settings from 50hz to 60hz they run normally, so yeah, should work.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:04 PM

I love the reasons for the dancing in Persona 3 and 5 Dancing All:

Elizabeth: "My sister had to help with a dance thing, so I want you people to dance!"

Justine and Caroline: "Our older sister said that she had the best guest! Prove her wrong by shaking your groove thang and proving that you are the best."

And really, that's all the story I need in a dance game. But now I need to wait for the inevitable Persona: Dancing All Revelations and Persona 2: Dancing All Nyarlathotep and Hitler, hosted by Philemon. All the while, poor Theodore is off in the corner sniffling at being left out.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:43 PM
Come, noble knights!

I wouldn't count on it; PSone era Persona is a very different beast from PS2 era onward Persona, one that had a lot more in common with the Shin Megami Tensei games. And that's why I loved it.

And honestly I think that a Persona 2 All Night Dancing would be a wish on a monkey's paw. I don't trust the New Wave Persona writers to not screw over Maya and Ulala.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

This seems bad.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
They should compensate the affected users with a Bethesda-branded Hefty bag.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:24 PM
I Cuss You Bad

That is bad. Everything around Fallout 76 seems to have been clown shoes as far as I can tell. The EU will go nuts if this affects an EU citizen.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:13 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Oh, sure. When a giant knocks you 200 feet into the air you all love it and call it "emergent game play".

But when it's randomlly handing out your credit card number its "a serious system flaw and PCI violation."
Old 12-06-2018, 08:18 PM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

Supergiant's next game is going to be a goddamn roguelike. *stomps into room and slams door and cranks Welcome to My Life*
Old 12-07-2018, 06:50 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Pronouns: he/him

You can already play it!
Old 12-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Sudden chomper

I'm actually pretty curious about it!
Old 12-07-2018, 09:12 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

God damn there's the excuse I needed to replace my missing video card.

Also not sure how that's not worth it's own thread?
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Slammaster

The Hard Times has a very important guest column from Sonic the Hedgehog.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:09 PM
King Of Space-Time

hm. He seems to be doing well.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:44 PM
Slammaster

This video was very aggravating because he has some good points (I once started a thread on this very board about what bullshit limited continues are), but he does almost nothing to praise the good NES games and for a decent portion of the video, extols the virtues of Shovel Knight by mentioning all the things they did that they learned from Mega Man games on the NES. Like, man, he shows the Quick Man lasers while talking about cheap, impossible deathtraps, negating to mention that you can get by them with a Master Robot item, then goes on and on about "man, Shovel Knight showing you an enemy or obstacle in a safe area before escalating the difficulty sure is brilliant huh? Wish someone thought of that in those awful NES days!" Like, come on, dude.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
This video was very aggravating because he has some good points (I once started a thread on this very board about what bullshit limited continues are), but he does almost nothing to praise the good NES games and for a decent portion of the video, extols the virtues of Shovel Knight by mentioning all the things they did that they learned from Mega Man games on the NES. Like, man, he shows the Quick Man lasers while talking about cheap, impossible deathtraps, negating to mention that you can get by them with a Master Robot item, then goes on and on about "man, Shovel Knight showing you an enemy or obstacle in a safe area before escalating the difficulty sure is brilliant huh? Wish someone thought of that in those awful NES days!" Like, come on, dude.
Hmm, that was on my YouTube recommendations, thanks for sparing me annoyance. I'm always really impressed by the baseline of NES game design compared to what was acceptable on the 8 bit computers of the time. There are some terrible NES games (like Low-G Man, which I still like for some reason) but the likes of Mario, Zelda, Mega Man and Castlevania are timeless.

I agree that limited continues are bollocks, but I also remember NES games being £40 and short. I can see exactly why they did it.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:29 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

I think Low G Man is just plain great.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:11 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Hmm, that was on my YouTube recommendations, thanks for sparing me annoyance. I'm always really impressed by the baseline of NES game design compared to what was acceptable on the 8 bit computers of the time. There are some terrible NES games (like Low-G Man, which I still like for some reason) but the likes of Mario, Zelda, Mega Man and Castlevania are timeless.

I agree that limited continues are bollocks, but I also remember NES games being £40 and short. I can see exactly why they did it.
I also like Low G Man.

But, yeah, spare yourself. Oh, he also does the "NES games are ugly, look at all the sprite flicker, lol" thing, which I think not only belies a misunderstanding of what good designers were doing to take advantage of the NES hardware, but is also actively harmful to preservation efforts. It all comes off as very "these games are bad and ugly, so what's the value?"
Old 12-08-2018, 05:42 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
I think Low G Man is just plain great.
That's a great tune. Guess I need to get the cartridge out again

Quote:
I also like Low G Man.

But, yeah, spare yourself. Oh, he also does the "NES games are ugly, look at all the sprite flicker, lol" thing, which I think not only belies a misunderstanding of what good designers were doing to take advantage of the NES hardware, but is also actively harmful to preservation efforts. It all comes off as very "these games are bad and ugly, so what's the value?"
I'd take Mega Man 3 in all its sprite flickering glory over almost any game, even now. I don't get it, if NES games were so terrible why do things like Shovel Knight hew so closely to them thirty years later?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:10 PM
This Guy

Low G Man is just kind of ... a game; its not really bad enough to be remarked upon for its lack of quality and it is not good enough to remember for any reason (other than the music, apparently). I do, though, have a soft spot in general for KID's NES output. The GI Joe games, Low G Man, Kickmaster; I enjoyed all of them, with Low G Man being the least of the bunch.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Come, noble knights!

The Nintendo Entertainment System was only capable of so much and it was a popular enough game platform that everybody wanted to try and push past its limits. So lots of games had big, attractive sprites and used various tricks to get around the three color limit, and flickering was a side effect of this.

It's why jRPG battles and some action game bosses on the NES use black backgrounds, the background layer doesn't count towards the 64-pixel limit so it can be used in conjunction with sprites to make much bigger and more impressive enemies with less or no flickering. The Mega Man and Dragon Quest Warrior games made heavy use of them.

Tags
all the games , news , not worth its own thread , sega bass fishing , snippets , thread shortage