The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-04-2018, 07:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Default Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

This is coming out today on PC/PS4/XBone/Switch.

I was honestly lukewarm on the trailers, but the reviews and gameplay videos gradually making their way out have really won me over.

Is anybody playing this? How are you enjoying it (or not) so far?

I don't think I'l be able to get around to it any time soon, but I'm curious to hear impressions from anyone who tries it out because it seems like a lot of this forum is pretty squarely in its target audience.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 PM
Outraged!

Finally connected to the internet long enough to start it.

Solid through the first boss. Itís dragonís curse. Feels great, upgrades come at a good clip. Donít know what else to say. You know if you want it.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:03 PM
Sega CD version is better

I think the physical copy of this will be under the x-mas tree for me this year, so hopefully itís good.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

That intro song 100% sounds like a US cover of a Japanese song circa 90s Working Designs, and there's no way that's not intentional, and I love it.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Outer Space Man

I am absolutely all about this game and I'm totally going to get it, but something I've not seen people mention and it's really been bugging me: am I the only one who's thinking the MC holds his sword really weird? I don't know if it's because his arm doesn't seem to move while he runs, or his perspective makes it seem like he's holding his arm out perpendicular to his body, or both, or what, but something's just off and it's driving me nuts.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:58 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
That intro song 100% sounds like a US cover of a Japanese song circa 90s Working Designs, and there's no way that's not intentional, and I love it.
Right?

The games on my Santa-Law Moratorium, so I cant play it for three weeks even though itís sitting in the first slot on my Switch home menu taunting me with tales of fun and adventure!
Old 12-05-2018, 11:17 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Megaman X View Post
I am absolutely all about this game and I'm totally going to get it, but something I've not seen people mention and it's really been bugging me: am I the only one who's thinking the MC holds his sword really weird? I don't know if it's because his arm doesn't seem to move while he runs, or his perspective makes it seem like he's holding his arm out perpendicular to his body, or both, or what, but something's just off and it's driving me nuts.
Right. His non-sword arm swings loosely and naturally but the sword arm does not. You could replace the sword with a torch or candelabra and it would read better because we expect those things to be held in that manner. As far as I can tell, it looks "right" whenever he finally acquires the shield.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

So, is there no girl player character this time? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the reviews at all.

Feels like an odd oversight after the Dragon's Trap remake.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:59 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
So, is there no girl player character this time? I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the reviews at all.

Feels like an odd oversight after the Dragon's Trap remake.
They're totally unrelated projects. So, it's not that odd that one team cared to do it and another didn't, since there's still a lot of variation in how much the game industry cares.

The Dragon's Trap team made the better choice, though! It's too bad that this totally unrelated project didn't also do that.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:08 PM
Medal Princess

I'm loving the game. Last night, I had such a big grin on my face just playing it. All of the callbacks make me feel warm and fuzzy, but it's great even without those things. I really can't wait to play more.

I was surprised to find that it actually has a totally different/unique Japanese opening song option.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:09 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

Oh, whoops. I completely neglected to notice it was by different teams. Nevermind then!

(still a shame that the option isn't there all the same)
Old 12-05-2018, 07:52 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Oh, whoops. I completely neglected to notice it was by different teams. Nevermind then!
Yeah, Dragon's Trap was a remake by people with the rights to the Wonder Boy brand.

Monster Boy is a spiritual sequel by people without the rights to Wonder Boy, and even weirder it originally started out as Flying Hamster II: Knight of the Golden Seed.

In a way, nothing could be more Wonder Boy than how both of these games are coming together to contribute to the legacy of people being confused about what the hell is going in with how games in the Wonder Boy franchise are (or are not) related to each other.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:19 PM
Medal Princess

The only thing that's not Wonder Boy about the game is the name. Or, well, it could easily be called Monster World 5 if nothing else. It uses characters from previous games, music from previous games, etc. It feels like a Dragon's Curse or Dynastic Hero situation.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:00 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
The only thing that's not Wonder Boy about the game is the name. Or, well, it could easily be called Monster World 5 if nothing else. It uses characters from previous games, music from previous games, etc. It feels like a Dragon's Curse or Dynastic Hero situation.
Music in the first town you come across may not come directly from a wonder boy game but I wouldnít be willing to defend it in a copyright violation lawsuit
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It was developed in collaboration with Wonder Boy's creator and Sega is assisting with publishing, so I'd imagine anything they're swiping was approved. Who owns Westone's stuff these days?
Old 12-06-2018, 07:17 AM
Sega CD version is better

I was thinking there were legal disputes early on, but they eventually managed to work things out with all involved parties. Not sure where I saw that now, though...
Old 12-06-2018, 11:00 AM

Pretty sure this might be what I get from the bro this Christmas. The reviews have me convinced.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:08 AM
..and his little cat, too

I was supposed to get this on Tuesday from EB Games, where I had it pre-ordered, but the game didn't come in then or yesterday. I'll be calling in a bit to see if it arrived with today's shipment.

I'm not pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I don't know those well enough, but it reminds me of Sunday morning anime in the mid-90's.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM
Medal Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Music in the first town you come across may not come directly from a wonder boy game but I wouldnít be willing to defend it in a copyright violation lawsuit
It does come from Wonder Boy 3. It's this song.

There's no copyright violation. It's an official project.

This was the explanation presented to a journalist who asked:

Quote:
The TL;DR is that Sega didnít extend the Wonder Boy trademark in all regions and that some Korean actually took the chance to register it. Wonder Boy: Dragonís Trap was unaffected by this due to being a remake, but the legal situation was a bit trickier for a new game like Monster Boy. This lead to uncertainties that made the team shy away from the name.

At the end of the day, itíd have probably been possible for the team to use the Wonder Boy name at this point. But despite being an official entry in the series, the publisher decided that owning the name rights is a plus for eventual sequels (that might or might not happen).
Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM
..and his little cat, too

Yay, they got their copies today!

But since Smash comes in tomorrow, I'm just waiting.

And since the game is out now, I can't swap my pre-order from PS4 to the Switch version, so I'll have to ask when I get there tomorrow and hope they still have enough for that.

Oy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
It does come from Wonder Boy 3. It's this song.

There's no copyright violation. It's an official project.

This was the explanation presented to a journalist who asked:
Got a source for this?

Not questioning the validity, it just sounds like an interview I'd like to read while waiting to get the game. =)
Old 12-06-2018, 04:00 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

My god, the opening area is so Shantae-like that it's some TOMB RAIDER RIPPED OFF UNCHARTED levels of blatant
Old 12-06-2018, 04:53 PM
Medal Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
My god, the opening area is so Shantae-like that it's some TOMB RAIDER RIPPED OFF UNCHARTED levels of blatant
Well, Shantae ripped off Monster World first, so...
Old 12-06-2018, 04:56 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

IT'S JOKE
Old 12-06-2018, 05:39 PM
Outraged!

Yeah, we like the game, Aeana, just funnin.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Medal Princess

It never crossed my mind that you didn't like the game. There's been a lot of confusion about what the game is, and where it stands as a part of the franchise (or not).
Old 12-07-2018, 06:56 AM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
I was supposed to get this on Tuesday from EB Games, where I had it pre-ordered, but the game didn't come in then or yesterday. I'll be calling in a bit to see if it arrived with today's shipment.
EB still exists in Canada!?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:34 AM

The song that plays on the Switch eshop video for this game is terrible and honestly makes me not interested in playing the game if the whole soundtrack is like that.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:54 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
EB still exists in Canada!?
While they did coexist for a while, Gamestop decided to keep the EB branding in Canada and phase out their own.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Medal Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatie View Post
The song that plays on the Switch eshop video for this game is terrible and honestly makes me not interested in playing the game if the whole soundtrack is like that.
There's no other vocal music. Many well-known composers have contributed to the soundtrack, including Michiru Yamane, Yuzo Koshiro, and Motoi Sakuraba. I think the soundtrack is incredible, honestly.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:14 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

I think you get five dollars back if you buy this on Xbox, thanks to Winter of Arcade. Then again, I have a feeling this is gonna be one of those games that won't stay at full price for long...

Tags
metroidvania , mind bullets , monster boy , monster land , monster world , that's telekinesis kyle , wonder boy , wonder monster boyworld