The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-19-2018, 08:42 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

I think Sony has had a weird relationship with their classic offerings. I remember hearing an interview with a Sony head or PR guy that just got really uncomfortable talking about retro stuff and staying focused on the future. I can't blame them for wanting to look forward instead of back, but I suppose with the success of the NES/SNES Classics it's harder to ignore such a money making prospect. I expect they'll do it correctly, if not lovingly, and maybe we'll end up with something worthwhile.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
I keep hoping for a Analogue NT / Super NT style Saturn, but I'm a rare person who still has a ton of Saturn stuff.
The thing that would make a Saturn Mini so compelling is that there's still a handful of highly regarded games for the console that are absurdly expensive and have never been released elsewhere: the Panzer Dragoon games, Dragon Force, Die Hard Arcade, Saturn Bomberman. Those games alone would cost over six hundred bucks on the second-hand market and therefore even a hundred+ dollar Saturn mini could represent an excellent value proposition. But since such a release would make so much sense I expect it will therefore never happen.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:48 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
This is an even bigger blow to keeping classic games accessible to purchase than the Switch Online service.

PS Archives was amazingly expansive, and it worked on PS3, PSP, and Vita, tied to the same account.
I didn't quite catch your meaning at first, but yes, you're right. I have something like 30-40 PSX games that I got through PSN at different points and having the ability to play them at home or on the go has been fantastic. I never bought a PS4 and a big part of that was because it doesn't play those older games, which to me are a serious value-add. The PlayStation Classic doesn't necessarily mean the end of PSOne Classic games (man that's confusing) but combined with Sony's refusal to support backwards compatibility on the PS4 it really looks like they want to phase out that program.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Vagrant Story or no sale.

Actually, I'd totally buy one of these that was just the Squaresoft PSX library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I'd pay $100+ for a portable box that plays the Wild Arms intro.
Smartphone plus YouTube.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:06 AM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

I'm pretty sure the mental image of JBear that I've sketched out in my head has him using the same sturdy, reliable flip phone that he's had since 2004.

So what he'll need is to find a MIDI version of the Wild Arms theme and set that as his ringtone.

The problem then is that he'll never answer calls because he'll be trying to enjoy the Wild Arms theme and won't want to disturb it by answering the phone.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

I'm not really pumped for this because I don't have the same nostalgia as I have for Nintendo but it's still something I'll most likely pick up if I can find one. I have no opinion of the lack of Dual Shocks since I prefer the original controllers anyway. Again, how "must-have" this ends up being depends greatly on what the remaining 15 games are. (I have FF7 on my Vita and the "Steam" version on my PS4, and I haven't played those others.)
Old 09-19-2018, 09:17 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
Smartphone plus YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I'm pretty sure the mental image of JBear that I've sketched out in my head has him using the same sturdy, reliable flip phone that he's had since 2004.
Yeah, I think the PS Classic might be cheaper for him.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

all gen1 games

twisted metal
jet moto
warhawk
Toshinden (fight me)
Jumping Jack Flash
Philosoma
Tekken 2
Wipeout
TombRaider
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Blood Omen
Die Hard Trilogy
COntra Legacy Of War
Vandal Hearts
Ray STorm
Pandemonium
Old 09-19-2018, 09:45 AM
whatever it takes

Robo Pit or we riot
Old 09-19-2018, 09:47 AM
Sega CD version is better

My predictions...

Will definitely will be there:
A Twisted Metal
A Wipeout
Parrapa the Rapper

Will probably be there:
A Gran Turismo
A Crash Bandicoot
Either Symphony of the Night or Metal Gear Solid, probably the latter
A Resident Evil

Might be there:
A Med-Evil
Intelligent Cube
Jet Moto
Omega Boost
Legend of Dragoon
A Tomb Raider
A Tony Hawk
A Grand Theft Auto
Old 09-19-2018, 09:53 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Vagrant Story or no sale.

Actually, I'd totally buy one of these that was just the Squaresoft PSX library.
Squaresoft SummerClassic Of Adventure!

Vagrant Story! Threads of Fate! Chrono Cross! Legend of Mana! Parasite Eve 1 & 2! Einhander! Ergheiz! Tobal No. 1 and 2! Brave Fencer Musashi! Front Mission 2 and 3! Bushido Blade 1 and 2! Xenogears!

And I guess throw in an FF anda SaGa in there.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Phantastic Oil

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
Smartphone plus YouTube.
I encourage you to recall who you're talking to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
You have overestimated me, I'm afraid. I don't even have that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
So, it's previously been prevailed upon me here and in other places that a cellphone, and the ability to text, is a thing that is required for dating in the year 2015. So I got my first cellphone earlier this year! It's just a little flip-phone, but it's a start. I've still never sent a text, but I received some from my service provider! Anyway, that's not my problem.

I have a date next week! Hooray! That is also not my problem.

The problem is that, when I went to dig out said cell phone to give her the number, I couldn't find it. After a half-hour or so of frantic searching, I began to fear that it had been stolen. I went online to check my usage history, and found that I'd sent and received over 200 texts in a 48-hour period, which is roughly 200 more texts than I expected to see. That 48-hour period... was July 21st-22nd. My phone was stolen two months ago and I never noticed.

I don't think I should be allowed to own a cell phone.
I've never purchased another phone since. I don't think I can play Wild Arms on my land line or my answering machine.

ETA: Also, most importantly, I don't think they sell cell phones that look like tiny adorable game consoles.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:10 AM
Ancient Nameless Hero

I would do violence for a Squaresoft Classic. God, I miss the kind pf output they managed in the PS1 days.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:14 AM
Half-Ninja

Think there'll be M rated games on there? That'd be interesting if so.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by me View Post
I would do violence for a Squaresoft Classic. God, I miss the kind pf output they managed in the PS1 SNES days.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:27 AM
Mega Man 4 Superfan

I was hoping it would come with MGS and only one controller port. Y'know, for laffs.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:37 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him
Default The Only List You Need

Games to be included:

- Salamander Deluxe Pack Plus
- Gex
- Mega Man X....6
- Star Wars Episode I: Jedi Power Battles
- Star Wars: Masters of Teras Kasai
- Gex: Enter the Gecko
- Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
- Playstation Magazine DEMO DISC Number 7
Old 09-19-2018, 11:45 AM
120 Days

Pronouns: He/him

oh - gradius gaiden. for real
Old 09-19-2018, 12:31 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

If Lunar 1 is on there, I'll get it. Oh, or Suikoden 2! Which I own on PSN, but it's annoying to have to bust the PS3 out. Yes, I WOULD pay 100 dollars to negate a minor inconvenience. Anything for my beautiful child Suikoden...

Otherwise, I kinda already own every PSX game I'd ever want and have ways to play them (including Lunar 2, which is still my greatest random find in a Gamestop bargain bin).

Also I'm gonna laugh if they put one of the Syphon Filters on there and not MGS. Or Dino Crisis instead of RE1/2/3.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:35 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

This thing looks neat, but I think I'd be more likely to pick up a handful of games digitally and be able to play them on the go instead of plugging another thing into my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
If Lunar 1 is on there, I'll get it. Oh, or Suikoden 2! Which I own on PSN, but it's annoying to have to bust the PS3 out. Yes, I WOULD pay 100 dollars to negate a minor inconvenience. Anything for my beautiful child Suikoden...
Don't you have a Vita?
Old 09-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

I just can't get excited over this one, unlike the NES/SNES.

I feel like PS1 games have all always been very easy to play on modern hardware? Much moreso than SNES/NES, anyway.

PS2 Classic I could have some excitement for...
Old 09-19-2018, 01:12 PM
graffiti programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I just can't get excited over this one, unlike the NES/SNES.

I feel like PS1 games have all always been very easy to play on modern hardware? Much moreso than SNES/NES, anyway.

PS2 Classic I could have some excitement for...
This is largely how I feel about it. Most of the games I'm interested in are available through PSN or rerelease (MGS, Suikoden 2, Mega Man Legends, most Squaresoft output). Star Ocean 2 or SaGa Frontier would be great ... except I bought SaGa Frontier a month ago, so I'm good there.

The only thing that would get me to really take a second look is if it's got fast forward. I'm a busy man, let me game at 3x speed
Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 PM
do you feel the eel zeal?

Pronouns: they're more hobbyist nouns tbh

At the very least, cut out the dang loading times
Old 09-19-2018, 01:44 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
At the very least, cut out the dang loading times
Plot twist: not only are loading times still in, but this will STILL need physical Memory Cards.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

I would definitely prefer if Sony would give half a shit about putting PSone Classics on PS4, but I still have interest in this. Probably helps that I haven't played the PlayStation library to death like I have with the NES, SNES, and Nintendo 64.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM
Find Your Reason

Pipe-dream scenario: you can use the USB connector to plug into your PS4 or PS3, and download any PSOne Classics games you've bought through the PSN Store.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Sega CD version is better

I think I’ll pass on this too. I got the SNES Classic since it was my childhood console, plus the exclusive lost game helped sweeten the deal. With PlayStation I think I would rather just rip my old game discs into .iso files to emulate buy PS1 Classics on my PSTV and just build my own plug and play.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:41 PM
Love is OGR

Pronouns: They/Them, She/Her

The flipside to this and related devices is that in service of presenting a curated, tiny fraction of a system's library, they promote a sort of "canonized greats" perception and interaction with the system they're supposed to represent. Games people know, games people have played, games that have sold well previously. There's no room for anything new to be discovered through a fresh context, and it's even more highlighted here than with the NES and SNES minis because of how vast, experimental and diverse the PlayStation library was.

As a result, I do think consoles like this ultimately are a force against the cultural preservation of video games, because their only interest is in promoting past hits, and the bleedthrough effect of said efforts is real and severe. It's probably not a coincidence the most comprehensive and trustworthy repository of emulated software for video games was recently taken down right at the eve of an announcement like this. Which, to make it clear, had irreplaceable worth not for hosting a Final Fantasy VII or a Tekken 3, but for the Pepsimans, Harmful Parks, Neorudes, Kaze no Notams, London Seirei Tanteidams, Moons, UFOs and so on--games that have not been and will never be released in a worldwide context, are not monetized and only continue to survive and be preserved through extralegal means. I believe these aren't mutually exclusive things to have exist in tandem, but in an effort to promote and capitalize on a fraction of the most well-traveled and known part of their past, the decision-makers for these companies are effectively seeking to bury all the rest of it.

That said, I do think it's illuminating to witness the generational effect mold the reactions to this versus how the NES and SNES minis were received and talked about.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:55 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peklo View Post
The flipside to this and related devices is that in service of presenting a curated, tiny fraction of a system's library, they promote a sort of "canonized greats" perception and interaction with the system they're supposed to represent.
Yeah.

This reminds me of a good talk Frank Cifaldi gave about emulation, where he talks about the Uncle Buck problem. (Relevant section is around 27 minutes in.) Uncle Buck was not the most popular or best movie of the year it came out, but nonetheless it still got releases on VHS and DVD and Blu Ray and digitally, etc. Games tend to be bad about titles that were not the best of their era, we lose a lot of those Uncle Bucks.

PS1 Archives was probably the closest a console gaming platform came to solving the Uncle Buck problem (especially if you had a Japanese PSN account, but the US version wasn't all that bad either).

I'll be sad when my PS3 and Vita eventually die, or when the service closes down for good.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Outer Space Man

If this thing becomes hackable, and I can put Lunar 1 and 2 on it, (because let's be real, there is no way those are ever going to be on the base unit) I'm in, 100%. Otherwise, I think I have everything I want already downloaded on my PS3. It already sort of functions as a PS1 classic for me.

Tags
disappointment , l i t t l e m o n e y , mark danced crazy , mega man legends when?! , playstation , retro games , sony , the real pocketstation , u r not e