The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-06-2018, 12:58 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakeWell View Post
Market isn't right for a GC Classic yet.
But just think how adorable a tiny Gamecube would be!!
Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM
Slammaster

V adorable.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I think it's extremely unlikely that people testing games on it to check out the emulator or whatever were involved in making licensing or game selection decisions at all.

This seems like two basically unrelated issues.
I'm not saying there's a relationship at all.

What I'm getting at is that if you're making this sort of a thing with a deadline I'd guess you test to a shortlist of every potential game, while the legal department fight to get permission off the copyright holders. So the product manager picks the shortlist, then programmers and testers deal with the hardware/ emulation while the lawyers argue royalties and so on. If the IP holders agree, you don't then have to then start testing it. You can pick your games right up to the deadline that way.

The list is interesting though. Harry Potter being on it - that sounds like a nightmare to re-licence to me. Gran Turismo has a ton of car licences, so that would be hard. No sign of any of the Wip3outs though... Surely Sony could organise music licences.

Quote:
I think there's a lot of tech debt there, but I also don't think the market is right for a Gamecube Classic yet. People whose first console was a PS1 are closing in on 30, people whose first console was a Gamecube are fixing to go to college, and these things trade heavily on nostalgia.
Yeah, I agree with this. N64 is in that sweet spot, I think. I really want a decent Megadrive/ Genesis mini first though. Streets of Rage 2 and Shining Force remain two of my favourite games ever.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:02 PM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
This. I'd buy one for the form factor alone. The NGC is the last console that had an amazing form factor, and minification only makes it more so.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
I'm not saying there's a relationship at all.
I think the basic issue is that we have literally no idea if this means anything at all.

So, the scenarios you're presenting are not necessarily impossible, but pending some insight into the actual process they are basically like . . . PlayStation Classic development fanfiction, one of countless other possibilities.

Maybe they were checked purposefully, or maybe they were just fooling around. Maybe some on that list were checked purposefully (for those reasons or others), but other games on that list were not. Who knows.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Quote:
I think there's a lot of tech debt there, but I also don't think the market is right for a Gamecube Classic yet. People whose first console was a PS1 are closing in on 30, people whose first console was a Gamecube are fixing to go to college, and these things trade heavily on nostalgia.
I think nostalgia for that era is setting in earlier for younger people faster than it used to myself. My wife's students go absolutely batshit for Gamecube/PS2 stuff. (Also Mario Kart 64)
Old 12-06-2018, 02:14 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
I think nostalgia for that era is setting in earlier for younger people faster than it used to myself. My wife's students go absolutely batshit for Gamecube/PS2 stuff. (Also Mario Kart 64)
I mean, sure, I still thought NES stuff was dope in high school/college, but I wouldn't have bought the equivalent of an NES Classic at that age.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:27 PM

Probably a function of living in the Internet age, where everything seems to age much more quickly.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:41 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

I like the general idea of a PS Classic but it was never a high priority like the NES/SNES Classic. The key between the two mindsets lies with Childhood Magic Nostalgia Hour. My freshman year of college was 1998; the nostalgia meter doesn't run full throttle for PSX/N64 like it does for the NES/SNES, and I'm not sure I even have nostalgia for GCN and PS2.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:02 PM

I'll be honest, if Nintendo does do an N64 Classic, I'm not really sure I'm interested. It may be my least nostalgic system. I do have some for the PSX simply because of all the amazing RPGs.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:03 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
So adorable.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
I'll be honest, if Nintendo does do an N64 Classic, I'm not really sure I'm interested. It may be my least nostalgic system. I do have some for the PSX simply because of all the amazing RPGs.
I have interest because their bespoke emulators are very good and while I have an N64, without a mod, it looks like poop garbage on all of my TVs.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:52 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Pronouns: he/him

N64 Classic seems like an obvious home run for Nintendo. Culling the library to 15-20 bespoke games probably does the N64 more good than any other console in Nintendo's catalog and it seems to be held in exceedingly high regard by those in their mid-to-late 20s, even as interest in the mid-30s set drops off. The question is: Do people in their mid-20s have $80 to drop on this conceptual thing?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:04 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
The question is: Do people in their mid-20s have $80 to drop on this conceptual thing?
The second question is- does the N64 have much appeal to a general consumer without 4 controllers and/or Goldeneye?
Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 AM
This Guy

It's got Mario and Zelda, the Mario and Zelda games that were many college kids' first experience with those characters. I'd say it has plenty of appeal.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:35 AM

Any GC classic would need like 30+GB of storage on it to accommodate a modest library. Not huge by todayís standards at all, but not a trivial amount of storage either. My assumption on the construction of these things is that theyíre trying to get the fattest profit margins possible, and itís going to look a lot less desirable to do so if you have to put components in them that arenít literal pennies.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:48 AM
Slammaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
It's got Mario and Zelda, the Mario and Zelda games that were many college kids' first experience with those characters. I'd say it has plenty of appeal.
It also has the *Extremely Shane Bettenhausen voice* secret best version of Resident Evil 2, which I'd hope would make an appearance on such a theoretical device, because without an UltraHDMI mod, the resolution changes make it unplayable on a modern setup.

But as I mentioned in the 2019 predictions thread, I expect a Game Boy Classic in 2019 as Nintendo's Nostalgia Cash Cow.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Any GC classic would need like 30+GB of storage on it to accommodate a modest library. Not huge by todayís standards at all, but not a trivial amount of storage either. My assumption on the construction of these things is that theyíre trying to get the fattest profit margins possible, and itís going to look a lot less desirable to do so if you have to put components in them that arenít literal pennies.
Depends on how many games they were looking to throw on there. If memory serves, Gamecube games clock in at 1.35GB, and that's assuming you don't trim the ISOs at all. There tends to be a lot of dummy data in some games, so several should reduce down quite a bit. Not sure if you could cram 20 games into 16GB like the PS Classic, though.

EDIT: Looking at the Nintendont chart, probably not 20. Maybe 15. Depends on what they put on there. Mario Sunshine is just over 1 GB, Twilight Princess just under. Luigi's Mansion is under 200 MB, but it's the only one I've thought of that could end up on there that shrinks that much.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Ninten...atibility_List

EDIT 2: Huh, Double Dash shrinks to under 400 MB. Impressive.

Last edited by Sarge; 12-07-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Would it really be that hard to resurrect the GameCube architecture? Nintendo's been riding that pony for fifteen years, and abandoned it only two years ago for the Switch. I would definitely want a GameCube mini to run the games natively, as opposed to some naff Linux or Android hardware without the power to do the job properly. GameCube and Wii emulation exists, but it's not something some cheapy cheap Android box can handle.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Gamecube Emulation has some very special problems.

Last edited by Destil; 12-07-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Would it really be that hard to resurrect the GameCube architecture?
Please see Phantoonís post on production pipelines from a few pages ago.

Producing hardware is only cheap with economies of scale. Things like the SNES and PS classics are only a thing because they can use off the shelf parts for its inners. If they had to machine a bunch of original or redesigned components, that could potentially raise the price for it to be unattractive for both Nintendo and consumers.

You guys know why your consoles over time get larger HDDs thrown in them? Launch PS4s came with 500GB HDDs, and now the default is 1TB. Theyíre not trying to maintain an inflated price. Itís actually the opposite - itís cheaper for them to use larger storage as time goes on and production of the smaller drives stop. Iíll never forget how my original Xbox actualy came with a 20GB HDD because it was cheaper for MS than to buy 8GB HDDs that nobody made anymore, but was partitioned to only let me access 8GB because of uniform system specs.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Slammaster

Quote:
Would it really be that hard to resurrect the GameCube architecture? Nintendo's been riding that pony for fifteen years, and abandoned it only two years ago for the Switch. I would definitely want a GameCube mini to run the games natively, as opposed to some naff Linux or Android hardware without the power to do the job properly. GameCube and Wii emulation exists, but it's not something some cheapy cheap Android box can handle.
As Phantoon mentioned, the chipset in the GC was custom for Nintendo. Justifying spinning that operation back up would be hard, if it was even possible, given that the NES Classic (the thing Nintendo couldn't keep on shelves) sold about 10% of what the Gamecube sold. There's no way a potential future GC Classic runs games natively.
Old 12-07-2018, 04:56 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Well, if it's not economically feasible to bring back the GC/Wii/Wii U hardware, and no current Android/Linux hardware can emulate the GameCube at full speed, there's no reason to attempt a GameCube Mini. I mean, unless you want it to be a flaming wreck like the Playstation Classic was.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Well, if it's not economically feasible to bring back the GC/Wii/Wii U hardware, and no current Android/Linux hardware can emulate the GameCube at full speed, there's no reason to attempt a GameCube Mini. I mean, unless you want it to be a flaming wreck like the Playstation Classic was.
Which is why ShakeWell and i were talking about technical debt. It won't happen next year. Or the year after. It will eventually though, and it'll have the advantage that Nintendo know the hardware and won't have to find this stuff out the same way the Dolphin guys do.

There's no reason the PS Classic should be rubbish, the hardware is capable. It may be that putting a different emulator on it gets the performance back.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 PM
Slammaster

It's hacked. Only one "new" game at a time currently, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before it's wide open.

Old 12-08-2018, 01:28 AM
I Cuss You Bad

As I understand it, it doesn't have much space left over from what's already on there, but you can remove the games (unlike the Nintendo classics) and there's almost certainly going to be a USB workaround.

This is one area where cartridges will retrospectively help the N64; the games are a lot smaller, so there will be less of an issue with this.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Slammaster

But wait, there's more:

Apparently PBP files do work, and there's a way to get to the emulator menu without a keyboard.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:59 PM
I Cuss You Bad

We're going to have a Hackchi equivalent very soon, aren't we?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Slammaster

Seems likely.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:24 PM
Slammaster

More stuff with details on how to switch between PAL and NTSC, scanlines, filters, etc.

Tags
disappointment , l i t t l e m o n e y , mark danced crazy , mega man legends when?! , playstation , retro games , sony , the real pocketstation , u r not e