The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-12-2015, 09:08 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Default By the way, I can ban people now. Apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE-Ryan View Post
I'll put my money down as soon as it becomes available for a machine I own.
You're using a computer right now! YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO COMPLY *readies the ban hammer*
Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Wisdom's Pissed

Pronouns: he / his

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
By 2017 we'll probably have a replacement for the Wii U.
Maybe. The NX is still a nebulous thing Nintendo won't talk about until 2016, so the Wii U may have legs until then...but I may have a PS4 by March 2017 anyway, so it'll all work out.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 AM
Not 100% a dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
You're using a computer right now! YOU HAVE 15 SECONDS TO COMPLY *readies the ban hammer*
A computer at work. No games will be played here.

And my home PC most likely won't run the game if it's so fancy that it can't run on anything less than an XBone/PS4. I'm not chucking $28 ($34 in Canadabux) at something that I can't be sure I'll be able to use.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:20 PM

So... we have something which is obviously cribbing liberally from Castlevania, and setting itself apart by giving the totally-not-vampires-guys this weird stained-glass motif.

Someone else please go watch Kamen Rider Kiva so I'm not alone in laughing my head off about this.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Binglebottom

Sorry, y'all. What's available here has no appeal for me. The character designs are charmless anime fodder and the musical samples are awful. I still don't get how Yamane has progressed from dynamic stuff like her Lament of Innocence score to this, where, composition aside, the instrumentation sounds excruciatingly flat and amateurish.

I think Symphony of the Night was as much a product of its time -- the mid/late 90s, when Konami kinda didn't know what to do with Castlevania, and also when the explorative, non-level-based structure limited to a castle was new for the series -- as it was a product of its team members' skill. People have been clamoring for a Symphony of the Night successor for years with the misguided assumption that the main thing holding the handheld games back was their being handheld. I know that this is extremely assumptive, but I feel like this game is going to come out and it's going to be about as well-remembered as Odin Sphere or something.

Also, as much as I know people have had a hard time figuring out what exactly Igarashi has ever been explicitly responsible for in the games beyond SotN (despite there being an equal or greater determination to make him out to be singularly responsible for their creation, both by supporters and detractors, because that makes praise and hate easier), my impression of him is that he's kinda half-clueless about game design, but has traditionally been supported by a personal enthusiasm and good artists and musicians. He's the sort of game designer and overseer who will obsess over super slick character control and Konami collectibles while the rest of the game suffers (Order of Ecclesia somewhat bucked this trend, but it was too little too late).

So it's weird to see him being revered by the media as a figure of considerable design-based knowledge, and it's also weird to see him say in the Kickstarter video that his games are known for their "depth and complexity." They're not. KCET's exploratory Castlevanias -- some of which I like a lot! -- are pretty shallow games that are remarkable for their wealth of "superfluous" details and, at their best, great visual and audio assets.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

The thing I'm the most curious about is that the IGAvania games usually have really flat, monster-closety level design, but then you have designers who worked on Mega Man 9 working on Bloodstained. Level design has always been the most lacking thing in IGAvanias, but it's something that IntiCreates understands really well. If they can marry good level design with the aesthetics and charm of the open-world Castlevanias, this will be a fantastic game.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:49 PM

I would like a concrete definition of monster closets, monster shelves, etc. I know that complaint comes up a lot with the post-SoTN Igavanias and I understand what it refers to in general, but the dividing line is maddeningly vague to me. Given how many significant differences there are between SoTN and the post-SoTN sequels, I'm curious to understand how this particular detail has taken such a large priority for some.

Also, I'm going to mention that the name "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night" wins my approval for having a subtitle. When the first game in a new IP doesn't have a subtitle, it makes it more difficult to do internet searches and it requires being careful in discussions (like why everyone so often is forced to say "Zelda 1" or "the original Super Mario Bros").
Old 05-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Little Waves

That two-hour video of him commentating on Symphony convinced me that he at least understands why that game is amazing. I don't think the format was holding back the portable games; it was Konami forcing him to churn them out on absurd schedules and shoestring budgets. I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment by expecting this game to be better than Symphony, but I am hoping it'll be better than those.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:55 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
I would like a concrete definition of monster closets, monster shelves, etc. I know that complaint comes up a lot and understand what it refers to in general, but it is maddeningly vague to me. Given how many significant differences there are between SoTN and the post-SoTN sequels, I'm curious to understand how this particular detail has taken such a large priority for some.
I've always understood "monster closet" to mean anything that generates or inserts (possibly infinite) enemies into the level without any actual geometry for them to have been occupying. Like a part of the background that's shaped like a door but is non-interactive, and zombies pour out of it.

Never heard "monster shelf."
Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Yeah, that's what monster closet refers to in the context of, say, Doom. I think BeeZee was just rephrasing "monster shelf" which specifically refers to metroidvanias/2D sidescrollers where the monsters aren't placed on interesting terrain or integrated into the level. The intended picture is something like a vertical shaft where you have a featureless platform for each enemy.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:59 PM
Little Waves

In Symphony of the Night, the Amalaric Sniper enemies are placed in the chapel towers, where you have little footing and are forced to recover from a long way down if you don't deftly avoid their arrows. They're integrated into the level design.

In Portrait of Ruin, the same enemies are placed in the chapel area, because theming...but they're just hanging out in flat hallways. That's "monsters on shelves."
Old 05-12-2015, 03:04 PM
whatever it takes

Pronouns: he/him

Got it. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:04 PM

Maybe "monster shelf" is more appropriate.

The IGAvania games don't have very careful level design, basically, at least not on a room-by-room basis. There's not a lot of platforming. There aren't a lot of non-enemy obstacles, and there aren't a lot of gimmicks to interact with. Enemies usually aren't placed very carefully, and they aren't made to work with the environment in any particular way.

I think the Double Fine video explains a lot of this. IGA's definition of level design seems to mostly be about aesthetics and how the different areas fit together. He's very interested in little, small details, but not so much in "level design" as we'd normally define it.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:11 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
I think the Double Fine video explains a lot of this. IGA's definition of level design seems to mostly be about aesthetics and how the different areas fit together. He's very interested in little, small details, but not so much in "level design" as we'd normally define it.
Maybe "aesthetic design"?
Old 05-12-2015, 03:32 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
The thing I'm the most curious about is that the IGAvania games usually have really flat, monster-closety level design, but then you have designers who worked on Mega Man 9 working on Bloodstained. Level design has always been the most lacking thing in IGAvanias, but it's something that IntiCreates understands really well. If they can marry good level design with the aesthetics and charm of the open-world Castlevanias, this will be a fantastic game.
I'm curious about that too. But I think we also should remember that all of the Igavanias had evolving directors and "map artists" (i.e., level designers). So, there was some consistent guiding force there that made the games -- excepting SotN, which I think has a different, better approach to its environments' make-up (planning to turn this into an article soon) -- have a pretty uniform, and uninspiring, approach to level design. Was that consistent guiding force Igarashi? Again, it's hard to say.

Also, in my opinion, aesthetics -- specifically, the environments' look and the music's quality -- have been incredibly, even vitally, crucial to these games' staying power. I simply wouldn't care about Symphony of the Night if its pop-"gothic" fantasy weren't executed with what I find to be some of the most, if not the most, beautiful pixel background art ever done, and if the soundtrack weren't so much fun to hear. So if Bloodstained is going to look like a gaudy anime nightmare complemented by a dried out Yamane and co., I'm just not going to be able to emotionally invest in it, even if it's the most mechanically capable thing with decent-to-good level design.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:37 PM

So far, this is the part I understand about monster shelves. What is vague to me is how many of the enemy placements in SoTN do or do not qualify as being integrated and what is the dividing line.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:43 PM
Espurrs are proud.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game just because there hasn't been a good indie Metroidvania in years or possibly ever - I don't know if IGA can break the curse.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilfut View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game just because there hasn't been a good indie Metroidvania in years or possibly ever - I don't know if IGA can break the curse.
Someone hasn't been paying attention to Axiom Verge.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Someone has an incredibly broken sarcasm detector.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:04 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

So within 24 hours we already have complaining about the game that doesn't exist yet. Never change, internet people.

Anyway, how was that Wii U version of Aria of Sorrow, BTW?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
I haven't. Given that I hadn't heard of the dev and the screenshots I've seen don't excite me, I don't really want to spend money on such an unknown. the main character literally has simon belmont's face how did they get away with this
Old 05-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
See also: Cave Story, Guacamelee, lots of games, have you been paying attention
Old 05-12-2015, 04:18 PM
Espurrs are proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
See also: Cave Story, Guacamelee, lots of games, have you been paying attention
Cave Story never really felt like a Metroidvania to me. Guacamelee I'll give you, though.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:22 PM
The Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE-Ryan View Post
And my home PC most likely won't run the game if it's so fancy that it can't run on anything less than an XBone/PS4.
It's not that the game can't run on anything else hardware-wise, it's just that XBone/PS4/PC is the easiest to develop for because they're all basically the same thing. Porting to PS3/Vita/Wii U/3DS would take extra work because they aren't just PCs under the hood. This is why Wii U is a stretch goal.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:01 PM
Family Man

Quote:
Maybe "monster shelf" is more appropriate.

The IGAvania games don't have very careful level design, basically, at least not on a room-by-room basis. There's not a lot of platforming. There aren't a lot of non-enemy obstacles, and there aren't a lot of gimmicks to interact with. Enemies usually aren't placed very carefully, and they aren't made to work with the environment in any particular way.

I really liked this game, but goddamn!
Old 05-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Binglebottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
So within 24 hours we already have complaining about the game that doesn't exist yet. Never change, internet people.
But it's okay to get excited about a game that doesn't exist yet! What a funny double standard. One billion responses everywhere else of "Metroidvanias ftw shut up and take my money" but one deviation that hardly fits into the mold of gamers' rage-tinged entitlement and it's "Never change, internet people." I responded to the available material, and gave some opinions based on precedents I'd observed. If other people are allowed to have positive reactions which inform their financial support or interest, I think I'm allowed to do the same with my more skeptical or negative reactions.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:08 PM

I honestly kinda like Ruvas Forest, because it has semi-careful enemy placement despite its flatness, especially on Hard mode. But yeah -- total IGAvania layout.

The KickStarter says a Mega Man 9 producer is working on this. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post

I really liked this game, but goddamn!
So an improvement would be... limiting the enemies to ones that make sense in a forest? Say wolves, bats... and I'm not sure what else from the existing sprite catalog would have worked though I'm sure there were others.

I would agree it'd certainly improve the level thematically as some of the monsters in that video certainly seem out of place. I do wonder if the suspected budget limitations played a fairly large part in it.

If you are in large part limited to reusing sprites its going to be hard to fit them into new and interesting locations compared to the games from which they were sourced and purpose designed for. Though the DS games certainly suffer from area reuse to some degree as well... but if your setting is always a Gothic castle of some kind (and maybe the surrounding area) I guess you kind of limit yourself to what areas thematically work in the game as a whole.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:35 PM
What's Shenmue?

Pronouns: He/Him

Ecclesia is a weird one, I think, because it has both some of the sloppiest, most boxy level design and out-of-place enemies in the series; but also some of the most clever gimmicks and enemy placement... and sometimes even at the same time! I'm thinking about the prison island, specifically, with its big, wide box-rooms with searchlights that require careful manoeuvering to avoid (lest a really strong enemy show up); or the long, box-corridors with high and low paths both patrolled by spear guards (meaning you have to pay attention to both paths, no matter which you take).

To me, it felt like IGA's team was looking to really pay attention to level design, but didn't quite have the time or budget to see that through.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Cave Story never really felt like a Metroidvania to me.
What an odd thing to say. I suppose there's not much backtracking in Cave Story, but I don't know how else you'd classify it.

For a more straightforward example, La-Mulana. That's a hard one to recommend unreservedly, I'll admit.

Tags
bloodroids , bloodsmudged , bloodstainia , castlemania , castleroids , castlestainia , castlevania , castlevania 6-5000 , draculoids , hulkamania , igavania , mega zan , metroidstainia , metroidvania , monster girl fetish fuel , stained glass ceiling , vaniavania , water balloons , wrestlevania