The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Lifetime blunderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
It's not like WoW where you can potentially obtain any item yourself without going through the AH with enough time and patience. Diablo's random nature kind of needs some method of trade with other players if you want specific items, since if you're left at the mercy of the RNG you could be waiting a VERY long time.
The auction house using in-game gold and items is just fine. You can use such an auction house to sell and trade goods you don't want in order to save up and buy the stuff you do want. The problem is dragging real world money into the equation, which will basically torpedo the gold and barter-based economies in favor of a "pay to win" credit card-based economy.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFink View Post
Sorry, that's a deal breaker for me. I don't want lag deaths or disconnects in the middle of my SINGLE PLAYER game.

The RMAuction House is kinda gross too, but at least that could make me money, rather than just fuck me over for no reason*.

*The reasons for the always on connection I get, fighting piracy and secondary markets like GameStop, even though they never work.
Diablo 3 now has absolutely zero appeal to me.

Also, guys you need to vote with your wallet. Don't buy this game if you think these changes are bullshit.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

My computer is online 99.9% of the time and I plan on ignoring the auction house. I'm looking forward to pretty much the exact same Diablo III experience I always have been.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

In my book requiring internet access for a single player game is unacceptable. Will the servers I'm required to connect to still be online in ten years? In fifteen years? And what about the times when my internet connection goes down? Now I can't play the offline mode of the game just because I can't check in with some server? I've got better ways to spend my gaming dollar.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
In my book requiring internet access for a single player game is unacceptable. Will the servers I'm required to connect to still be online in ten years? In fifteen years? And what about the times when my internet connection goes down? Now I can't play the offline mode of the game just because I can't check in with some server? I've got better ways to spend my gaming dollar.
I'm not exactly fond of the idea- I think they'd be wise to axe it, actually- but I don't see it affecting me much, personally.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 PM
gatchapon 3*

Pronouns: he/him

i'm with beezee. i dont plan on using the auction house at all, and plan on grinding and clicking with my friends the way i did in d1 and d2.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Banned

I'm against these design choices, but the idea that me not buying this game will force them to change their mind holds little water.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Fancy Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
My computer is online 99.9% of the time and I plan on ignoring the auction house. I'm looking forward to pretty much the exact same Diablo III experience I always have been.
While it is mostly just the principle of the thing, I really don't like using the internet when I don't have to. Mainly because I like doing other things with my internet, such as download videos and podcasts, and communicating with other via several medias. I don't like the idea that these other things might affect my play through of a game that shouldn't be using this in the first place. I rarely play games online, I play games purely for their solo campaign, and I don't like being told by Big Brother that I'm playing my game wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I'm against these design choices, but the idea that me not buying this game will force them to change their mind holds little water.
That's because nobody sticks to their guns. If everybody who disagreed with this didn't buy the game because of it, they would change their minds. Money can easily change minds. But what most people will do is complain about it but buy the game anyway, and the complaints will slowly fade.

But in 50 years time, when the revolution comes, you will wish you stood on the side of righteousness with my brothers, waving our banners:

"We will not sign on!"
Old 08-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

If that many people didn't buy Diablo 3, they'd just stop selling it and cease all development on any further products in the franchise.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:57 PM
Fancy Muppet

Quote:
If that many people didn't buy Diablo 3, they'd just stop selling it and cease all development on any further products in the franchise.
And then hopefully the next developer company that has this "great idea" would learn from their mistakes.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

I don't know about you guys, but not playing video games doesn't sound like an enjoyable way to get better video games.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Lifetime blunderer

Quote:
And if people do buy Diablo III, horrible things like constant internet connections for single-player games and player-to-player RMT will be reinforced as a good idea in the minds of the industry.

I'd rather never see another Diablo game than have gaming continue going down that path.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Banned

It was already reinforced when Assassin's Creed II was released.

And the RMT wouldn't exist if people hadn't shown they were willing to do such a thing through the many D2 auction websites. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but if gamers were against paying real money for items in games, they probably shouldn't have spent so much real money for items in games.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessentity View Post
I don't like being told by Big Brother that I'm playing my game wrong.
Quote:
But in 50 years time, when the revolution comes, you will wish you stood on the side of righteousness with my brothers, waving our banners:

"We will not sign on!"
Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
"We will not sign on!"
... he posted from his web browser.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Fancy Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeZee View Post
... he posted from his web browser.
While I get the hippocrasy, I honestly just couldn't think of a better banner.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Lifetime blunderer

Quote:
It was already reinforced when Assassin's Creed II was released.

And the RMT wouldn't exist if people hadn't shown they were willing to do such a thing through the many D2 auction websites. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but if gamers were against paying real money for items in games, they probably shouldn't have spent so much real money for items in games.
That's true. And maybe* gaming will head that direction matter what anyone does. But I don't like it, and I'm certainly not just going to shrug my shoulders and accept it without a fight.

*almost certainly
Old 08-01-2011, 02:38 PM
I caught a big one!

Back when SC2 was getting released, Blizzard tried making people's real name their mandatory username, but the fanbase surged to the forums and demanded this was not the case. And of course, in the end they revoked their idea. Maybe if enough people think this is a bad idea, we can get it revoked too. You guys seem to be hating more on the real money aspect more than the trading aspect, so there would be no need to change it completely.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

I'd be more content with an auction house that focused exclusively on in-game currency, yeah.

If it goes live as-advertised then I know I'll be sticking to gold-only transactions.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSS View Post
So here's my solution: The multiplayer should be split into a trading community and no trading community. So when you create your character, you can play the game how you want to play it. The only way to trade in the no trading community is to drop things on the ground and pick up whatever the other person dropped. This would allow for people to make transfers to trustworthy people, while staving off on trades with people you don't trust. And most of the time, the trades with trustworthy people will just be giving items that are more useful to a certain class to people who play that said class. This way, we still have the trading community, where the trading sites will most likely do their business, and we gamers that play for the gaming can have our fun playing "legit."

Do you think this could possibly work?
The announcement of this whole thing specifically includes mention of them doing that. I mean, there's the slight catch that the no real cash trading player pool is "people playing hardcore mode" but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
In my book requiring internet access for a single player game is unacceptable. Will the servers I'm required to connect to still be online in ten years? In fifteen years?
Since this is Blizzard, yeah, I'm pretty sure they'll still be running in 15 years. If not, I would imagine people would mod out the check-ins at that point. Not being able to play with your own connection down sucks though.

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but not playing video games doesn't sound like an enjoyable way to get better video games.
It isn't, but sometimes you have to make short-term sacrifices to get long-term gains, and boycotts on principle tend to work a lot better than buying things anyway and just whining on forums.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:27 PM

RLT are going to make Blizzard bank.

I was just thinking about how awesome the RLT will be. Instead of grinding for hours to get a skull chip, now I can just buy one for a couple dollars. Maybe not initially, but after the initial hype I expect prices to come down.

Then I had a horrifying more realistic thought. I'm going to buy a chip here, a piece of armor there, a sword here. Then I'm going to check my bank statement and realize I have spent $100s on D3 digital items. This is just like Magic.

I may have to leave this one on the shelf.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Gynarchy in the USA

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Huge D2 fan here, not going to touch this. I mean I already boycott activision, but they make it so easy!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Loves to overthink.

Pronouns: she/her/they/them

Quote:
If it's becoming something I don't find enjoyable then it makes perfect sense to not buy it. That's the logic to throw at people upset over comparatively minor name or visual changes, not when restrictions or mechanics are introduced that can fundamentally undermine your entertainment.

I'll base any purchasing decision on how many others end up passing on the game. Jumping into Diablo 2 as late as I did was still an amazing experience, but if I end up having to go it alone then I'll let my displeasure at these choices push it over to pass.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
boycotts on principle tend to work a lot better than buying things anyway and just whining on forums.
Quote:
Back when SC2 was getting released, Blizzard tried making people's real name their mandatory username, but the fanbase surged to the forums and demanded this was not the case. And of course, in the end they revoked their idea. Maybe if enough people think this is a bad idea, we can get it revoked too.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Spelunker Die

Unlike attaching your real name to a forum post, Blizzard stands to make lots and lots of money through a real money exchange. They're too busy counting that loot to pay attention to people complaining on the internet.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 PM
Loves to overthink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
Unlike attaching your real name to a forum post, Blizzard stands to make lots and lots of money through a real money exchange. They're too busy counting that loot to pay attention to people complaining on the internet.
If anything the real name was probably a liability. What are they to do if someone's actually harmed because of real names being mandatory?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Spelunker Die

That point being aptly demonstrated when all that information about the Blizzard community manager and his family was dug up while trying to demonstrate how safe it really was.

Seriously though, they are not going to step down from this because as long as people are willing to defend them on it and buy the game they'll make so much money for it. Just wait, they are going to milk and microtransact the hell out of this game.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Back when SC2 was getting released, Blizzard tried making people's real name their mandatory username, but the fanbase surged to the forums and demanded this was not the case. And of course, in the end they revoked their idea. Maybe if enough people think this is a bad idea, we can get it revoked too. You guys seem to be hating more on the real money aspect more than the trading aspect, so there would be no need to change it completely.
I seriously doubt that there will be enough backlash to convince Blizzard to ditch the real money auction house. The comments I've seen elsewhere indicate that most people either don't see the big deal or are actually excited by the prospect of making money from it. Also, Diablo 2 and WoW have already shown that there is a significant demand for this type of service. Even if it does cause a lot of backlash or even boycotting, Blizzard will still be making crazy money off of the people who do buy into their system, which will undoubtedly offset any potential loss in sales.

The whole online-only/no-modding thing, on the other hand, might be a bit more subject to change. I'm almost certain the game will have an offline single player mode and mod support... eventually. Maybe a few years after release, or perhaps sooner if sales die off quickly enough. Personally, I'll be holding off on buying it until then.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
boycotts on principle tend to work a lot better than buying things anyway and just whining on forums.
Oh yeah. Boycotts have a great track record.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Loves to overthink.

Part of why I'm not getting too fussed for now, combined with the fact it's a more social game I'd probably like more than, say, Call of Duty anyway.

Tags
blizzard , diablo , stay a while and click , the wizard