The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

This may be a stupid question, but what do you think the chances are that this will show up on consoles?
Old 05-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternaljwh View Post
Assassin was fun when it let you build up 18 charges on one timer rather than individualizing them.
Wait... did they change that? That was the whole freaking POINT to that class! Who do I yell at... and is it regarding a patch, or something I haven't read on how D3's doing it?
Old 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Lifetime blunderer

Swirly glowing assassin orbs are on individual timers now?

Boo!

The Assassin was one of my favorite D2 classes solely because of how much fun it was to build up a trillion charges and just annihilate something with a single finisher.

In keeping with my D2 playstyle, I imagine the Wizard or the Monk will wind up being my favorite D3 class.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM
"I don't get people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Wait... did they change that? That was the whole freaking POINT to that class! Who do I yell at... and is it regarding a patch, or something I haven't read on how D3's doing it?
(D2X)I believe (in 1.10) they made the charges "time out" on separate timers.

Strangely, I can't find it in the patch notes, though, so...also, it looks like they've lengthened the timer in 1.13.

Test for yourself, I'm not in a position to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
Bunglemancer is lost to us now, wandering somewhere in the wasteland, searching for enlightenment.

Surrounded by a thousand skeletons.
Bunglemancer will return, in Bunglemancer Against the World Crime League
Old 05-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
i've actually avoided all coverage. i want the game to be totally fresh and new for me.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This may be a stupid question, but what do you think the chances are that this will show up on consoles?
Given Blizzard's track record with console releases this century, about zero.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bungle700 View Post
I've got degrees in Beardology and Beardonomy!
With the "Mr.", the "Dr.", and the multiple degrees, he becomes Herr DoktorProfessor Bungle!
Old 05-14-2011, 10:26 AM
King Of Space-Time

Demon Hunter. I like the whole "f#$% them up first" mentality.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Naughty List

Pronouns: he / him

Day one.

I'm thinking monk this time, though the (whatever they re-named the mage this time) naturally has some appeal as well.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Shit.

This won't stop me from getting it, but man I hate these restrictions.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Freshwater Minotaur

Were they seriously worried that Diablo 3 wasn't going to make enough money or something?

Ah, whatever. Hopefully Torchlight 2 will be an acceptable substitute.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 AM
Spelunker Die

You missed the bigger story, the real money auction house, which is seriously fucking gross.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:57 AM
d.o_o.b

Well, I might still buy a copy if somebody cracks the DRM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 AM
"I don't get people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post
You missed the bigger story, the real money auction house, which is seriously fucking gross.
PROBLEM: Gold/item(/character) farmers.
SOLUTION: Regulate and tax.

It should alleviate/prevent goldfarmer spam, at least.

but creating PROBLEM: audience is now made aware by product of possibility of becoming a computer game farmer

(also not going to get probably thanks to online-ness issues)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:30 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
Shit.

Shoot. Well, I hoped Blizzard would be smarter than that, but it's not the end of the wor--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobuyuki View Post

Ok Blizzard, my nuts are right here, so feel free to swing your boot back and let me have it at your convenience.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Spelunker Die

Quote:
PROBLEM: Gold/item(/character) farmers.
SOLUTION: Regulate and tax.

It should alleviate/prevent goldfarmer spam, at least.

but creating PROBLEM: audience is now made aware by product of possibility of becoming a computer game farmer

(also not going to get probably thanks to online-ness issues)
Also problem: in-game currency becomes worthless when you have to weigh it against real money. That's exactly what happens to every MMO that fails to crack down on the goldfarming.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:54 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
Shit.

Sorry, that's a deal breaker for me. I don't want lag deaths or disconnects in the middle of my SINGLE PLAYER game.

The RMAuction House is kinda gross too, but at least that could make me money, rather than just fuck me over for no reason*.

*The reasons for the always on connection I get, fighting piracy and secondary markets like GameStop, even though they never work.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 AM
Cure Space Marine

Quote:
They should probably look into buying Harvest Moon then.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Banned

I came into this thread expecting good news!

I did not get good news!

I said that I would support Blizzard until the Activision taint on them became too pervasive. We've been edging up on that point for a while, but it looks like we're there now.

The real money auction house is actually more repulsive to me than the online requirement. I've always been opposed to buying DII items or WoW gold, not because it's against the terms of service, but because it's icky, childish, and basically amounts to paying for advancement in a video game. Furthermore, the real money for virtual items market promotes farming, stealing, cheating, botting, account hacking and scams. That's why Blizzard said they were opposed to it in the first place!

But now they've made all of this part of the system. NOW WE'RE ALL GOLD FARMERS
Old 08-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Okay, what the fuck seriously.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Lifetime blunderer

I made a thread about this on HG101 and was shocked to find that most people were totally cool with the always online requirement and even worse, actually welcomed the RMT auction house.

Filled with terror, I opened this thread and was delighted to discover that there are still sane people on the internet.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

good thing I still have D2...
Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM
The Great

I think the worst thing about the auction is the effect it's going to have on future games. Remember how absolutely everybody tried to steal every good idea they could from WoW for their own games? If this is actually successful (Which it probably will be!), it's going to be showing up in just about every other online game from every other company.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Follow the fuck-man

They are really trying hard to make me not want this game. Sounds like they are doing everything stupid they did with sc2 to this. The ingame auction house is again fucking ludicrous but hopfully it will reduce bots joining games every other second and spamming item websites addresses. I got diablo 2 two weeks ago and every public game I joined had 4-5 bots join it for 15 seconds, spam, then leave.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

On at least the modding news -- it seems there's further reason to be thankful for Torchlight.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I caught a big one!

For some reason I ended up typing a novel, so here's the short version: skip to the fourth paragraph.

I've been playing Diablo II on and off for about 6 or 7 years, and throughout that whole time, there have been bots spamming the channels, the games, and whispering to you incessantly. Then there were the bots that automatically ran boss killing runs with stacked magic find gear on. A lot of times there would be bots doing experience runs on Baal, and people would flock to these games and merely stand there while leveling up. It became a very regimented and precise type of game. And it was also very boring to do, but still there was no better way to gain fast levels (aside from standing around ubers). Anyway, the bots would pick up all the loot automatically, and then the users would flock over to d2jsp to sell all their junk for a somewhat more useful currency than in game gold. This forum gold (fg) could be used to pretty much set yourself up with "pretty damn good" equipment any time you wanted. To provide an example, when in the mid to late ladder season, you could collect four of those useless blue jewels that gave 3 to attack rating and trade that in for 1 fg. That 1 fg could be used to buy a shako, one of the most useful hats in the game. The biggest thing that griped me about this, was there was SO many items that were now rendered completely useless, because you could just trade junk for semi-great gear. That, to me, was what the heart and soul of an MMO should've been: collecting new and cool items while fighting through increasingly difficult enemies and bosses. But even that got ruined, because players would just choose to get "rushed" through the game. No need to fight the bosses, because a level 80 hammerdin would just 1 shot them for you.

Not to say that the trading and rushing and whatnot didn't have its uses. Early on in the 1.13 ladder season, me and my friend played long hours for about a week straight with the express purpose of finding and selling one of the first hellfire torches to spawn in the game (we went for hellfire torches because it was both: a. rare and b. a guaranteed drop). We threw together our measly 1000 fg we collectively had and bought the first of the cheap items we'd need to actually pull this off. I needed lots of resist all and FCR equipment for my sorceress, and he'd need lifesteal and crushing blow for his smiter. All this very early season gear cost 100 times what it'd normally cost, but in the end, we were able to pull it off, and got a torch on the fifth day (the first torch to be posted for sale was found on the third day unfortunately) and managed to sell it for a cool 3000 fg. The next 4 torches sold for about 5000, and they degraded really fast after that. I must say, it was a pretty fun experience. Much more fun than standing around Baal all day anyway.

My point is, the trading thing isn't completely bad. It does allow for some really fast experimenting, and character building. But the community it spawned is centered around making the game boring and mundane. The lack of bots in Diablo III will certainly help things quite a bit, but there will always be the option for Joe Shmoe to just buy up all the good stuff with his credit card and blow up those demon lords like they were made out of pudding. And then it'll just be the very boring Diablo II all over again.

So here's my solution: The multiplayer should be split into a trading community and no trading community. So when you create your character, you can play the game how you want to play it. The only way to trade in the no trading community is to drop things on the ground and pick up whatever the other person dropped. This would allow for people to make transfers to trustworthy people, while staving off on trades with people you don't trust. And most of the time, the trades with trustworthy people will just be giving items that are more useful to a certain class to people who play that said class. This way, we still have the trading community, where the trading sites will most likely do their business, and we gamers that play for the gaming can have our fun playing "legit."

Do you think this could possibly work?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Love and Peace

I was leery of how well mods would work with their real-money auction house anyway. There's no way to introduce custom-made weapons mods into an auction house system that works like that (at least not without collapsing Diabloland's economy twice a day.)

I'm a minority, in the sense that I don't often use mods (never on a first playthrough) unless they're the kind that are made to shore up serious deficiencies with the base game that the company can't or won't fix. But that doesn't mean I can't see why telling customers "no mods" for a dungeon crawler is not the best and most charming of ideas.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Horrendous Space Kablooie

Couldn't people just ignore the auction house if they're not interested in it?
Old 08-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Too Big For Smash?!

It's not like WoW where you can potentially obtain any item yourself without going through the AH with enough time and patience. Diablo's random nature kind of needs some method of trade with other players if you want specific items, since if you're left at the mercy of the RNG you could be waiting a VERY long time.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I made a thread about this on HG101 and was shocked to find that most people were totally cool with the always online requirement and even worse, actually welcomed the RMT auction house.

Filled with terror, I opened this thread and was delighted to discover that there are still sane people on the internet.
I feel the exact opposite.

Tags
blizzard , diablo , stay a while and click , the wizard