The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 11-21-2018, 11:53 AM
I Cuss You Bad

She's infectious, isn't she?

I got Spare Parts and loved it based on her review, and was delighted when World Enough And Time / The Doctor Falls managed to capture the feel of that story beautifully.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:40 PM
Mr Toad's Wild Ride

Hearing about the Kerblam episode is a little disappointing, especially considering how frustrating Amazon has become. I liked the first episode of New-Who, I honestly did! Evidently it all goes downhill from there...
Old 11-21-2018, 11:34 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
Hearing about the Kerblam episode is a little disappointing, especially considering how frustrating Amazon has become. I liked the first episode of New-Who, I honestly did! Evidently it all goes downhill from there...
???

It's thirteen years on from Rose, there's going to be the odd duff episode. And my objection to it is political, quite a lot of people who aren't me liked it.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:39 PM
King Of Space-Time

I would like to point out the first season for most Doctors can be rocky. Especially with not just the Doctor being new but a lot of the writers and higher ups swapping as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:39 PM
I Cuss You Bad

OK, I really liked that. That's the Doctor I want to see. The Doctor didn't just sit around! Said really doctory stuff! Actually vanquished evil and told the king to piss off! Bonus points for the "you're in special measures" crack. I also loved the "It's not Satan, it's alien mud monsters, duh"

Again I love Graham. If something bad happens to him, I swear to god, Chibnall. I'll write a scathing post you'll never actually see

More of that please
Old 11-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Brain Genius

Pronouns: he/him

Meanwhile I don't hate him, but I wish Ryan and Yaz would get more freaking lines. Graham gets plenty in every episode, but one of the other two gets screwed every time.

Though, yeah, this week was much better than Kerblam, though Demons of the Punjab is miles better imo.
Old 11-26-2018, 02:47 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
Meanwhile I don't hate him, but I wish Ryan and Yaz would get more freaking lines. Graham gets plenty in every episode, but one of the other two gets screwed every time.
Yeah, Yaz got the short end of the stick again. Ryan at least had some good stuff. The "I thought you were joking" bit was great.

I also liked the line they managed to tread with King James between twinkly benevolent man / murderous paranoaic. He also had very good reason to behave that way in this episode too.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:32 PM
Brain Genius

A conscious universe is a frog on a chair who wants a friend. Absolutely bonkers image. That was a good episode.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:21 AM
I Cuss You Bad

That was a great episode! Properly nuts in all the best ways. Oh well, Chibnall next week...

I will add that Universe Frog hadoukening people was brilliant, and Graham's grief really hit me. I knew "Grandad" was coming, but they actually earned it.

Last edited by Phantoon; 12-03-2018 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:16 AM
Brain Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantoon View Post
I will add that I knew "Grandad" was coming, but they actually earned it.
Eh, as I kinda suspected, I don't think they did. Ryan spends multiple episodes not wanting to say it, then here he just says it, because he seemingly wants to make Graham feel better, or something? Ryan wasn't even in the alternate universe to see his nan, so what made him change his mind? Was it him being sorta right about the kid's dad abandoning her? It just seemed arbitrary. It was a nice moment for Graham, but unless my torrents have cut out scenes where this moment was built to (lol), I just don't buy it.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:52 AM
I Cuss You Bad

I'm guessing he was told what went on by the others. I'd also suspect that seeing Graham's grief when he wasn't suffering himself may also have been enough. Bradley Walsh is so good, I'm glad people are finally realising this.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Brain Genius

Bradley Walsh is a fantastic actor, yeah, I can agree with that at least.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:22 AM
I Cuss You Bad

I'm annoyed by the lack of Christmas Doctor Who this year. I shall chain watch the old ones to sate my need for festive weirdness.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:46 AM
Brain Genius

It'll be weird without Doctor Who on Christmas, but tbh New Years Day suits me more, since there won't be any family obligations for me then.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 AM
Brain Genius

The Macra Terror is being animated and will come out in March 2019! This is a fantastic story and I'm thrilled they're doing it!

A little more info here, apparently comes out March 18th on digital download, DVD, and Blu ray.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Brain Genius

Jodie Whittaker confirmed for season 12. As she fucking should be
Old 12-08-2018, 12:17 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
Jodie Whittaker confirmed for season 12. As she fucking should be
That's good news! Hopefully Chris Chibnall delegates the actual writing a lot more next time though...
Old 12-09-2018, 03:42 PM
Brain Genius

Series 12 to air in early 2020. No idea why. Jfc
Old 12-09-2018, 04:12 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
A delayed TV series is eventually good, but a bad TV series is bad forever

Or something

I liked the latest episode enough! Not a series finale for the ages, but better than that Davros disaster from a while back.
Old 12-09-2018, 06:39 PM

We just got through a season of Doctor Who without the Master, any Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarans, or other callbacks to villains from the earliest seasons of the show.

When the hell did that last happen? A 5th Doctor year?
Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 AM
I Cuss You Bad

Quote:
What's worse is it seems like we might not be getting a Christmas episode next year either.

I quite like the idea of there being less reliance on old Doctor Who monsters. Doctor Who can be about literally anything and the monsters serve to limit its scope. However, this is contingent on the stuff that is filling the gap being interesting. Which has been mixed, this season.

Still, randomly slapping Daleks into the Tsuranga Conundrum wouldn't have helped its problems at all.

By the way, could someone explain "a two-person species apparently originating on three planets" thing? Because that mnakes no bloody sense.

Last edited by Phantoon; 12-10-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Brain Genius

Quote:
By the way, could someone explain "a two-person species apparently originating on three planets" thing? Because that mnakes no bloody sense.
Nope! No idea.

Stolen from a comment on El Sandifer's blog, this made me laugh:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eruditorum Press Commentor "PM"
Russell T Davies wanted to relaunch Doctor Who as an action adventure series for the whole family.

Stephen Moffat wanted a series that took apart the conventions of Doctor Who and put them back together in new and interesting ways.

Chris Chibnall wanted to make ten fifty-minute episodes of television.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:48 PM
I Cuss You Bad

Yeah, that quote amused me so much I actually quoted it to another Doctor Who fan at work.

Uh, the more I think about that finale the more it annoys me. I actually thought it was ok originally...
Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 PM
Brain Genius

I thought it was extremely dull and badly paced! The Pirate Planet except very noticeably not written by Douglas Adams!
Old 12-11-2018, 03:11 PM
I Cuss You Bad

It was a Chibnall episode, so I went in with my expectations adjusted.

What is a Stenza for, other than being leather clad and stompy? And since when was Graham a murder machine? And why is it wrong to kill somebody who's committed the genocide of five planets and is about to do a sixth? And is only able to do so because of your previous inaction?
Old 12-11-2018, 04:26 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
It was a Chibnall episode, so I went in with my expectations adjusted.

What is a Stenza for, other than being leather clad and stompy? And since when was Graham a murder machine? And why is it wrong to kill somebody who's committed the genocide of five planets and is about to do a sixth? And is only able to do so because of your previous inaction?
I honestly was never able to take the Stenza seriously because every time I hear the name I think "George Costanza."

Basically they're Predators crossed with Klingons? But with much more advanced tech, and some... unique traditions for ascending to the throne? Really, Tim Shaw's schtick was good for one episode, but I don't think his character concept can go from "lousy Predator who has to cheat at the game" to "Lives as a god for thousands of years while still retaining his original personality and petty goals out of sheer vindictiveness." The finale needed a better antagonist --say, the "Witnesses" from Demons of the Punjab, having evolved from "witnessing the deaths of the unsung" to "yeah we Brainiac'd these entire planets and their (now dead) people because they spiraled into ruin, and we see Earth headed the same way, and someone has to preserve them from oblivion."

Graham is probably still smarting from the mirror-world escapades. He's not a "murder machine", he's just a headstrong guy with very intense emotions and a hell of an exposed nerve about the subject of Grace. When given the chance to get revenge, yeah, it's plausible he'd think it'd be a good idea to take it. And he probably would've gotten himself killed very, very stupidly, because he's just an old man against a millennia-old hunter.

Blaming the Doctor for Tim Shaw's genocide goes against the rules of the show. Like it happened so often with Ten, she gave him a chance; he refused it, and it backfired on him. IIRC, she expected him to teleport himself to a random location in all of space; she definitely didn't think he'd be summoned by the Ux, or that they would build a giant cannon for him. The alternative was for her to actually kill him during her first episode, and wouldn't that have been a much worse indictment on the character of the Doctor?

(Now, what Graham and Ryan did to him? That was straight-up Ten and HIS revenge on the Family of Blood. Ouch.)
Old 12-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Brain Genius

I dunno, Graham could probably have taken Tim Shaw, since all he had to do was shoot him in the foot?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:15 PM
I Cuss You Bad

On this side of the Atlantic I've heard Tim Shaw referred to as Poundshop Predator. He's a pathetic baddie and the episode would've been better if it approached him from that angle.

It would've been cool if the Doctor had turned the Stenza into the Thijarans, the other way round. That would have tied some of the series together a bit.

I dispute the Graham thing, it seems wrong. He's always agreed with the Doctor and while he's shown naked grief he just doesn't seem the vengeful type. And while I might be wrong on this, wasn't Tim only very indirectly responsible for Grace's death?

I loved the long Ux speech on how their faith is based on doubt. Dude, you just decided a random (and clearly evil) alien was God without question for three thousand years

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , london 1965 , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , serious , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff