The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 10-23-2018, 07:52 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
see also:
Pikachu Elec Man
Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Per The Legend of Korra, the best use of lightning powers is to get a job at a power plant.
That always bothered me. Because:

1) When you're trying to run an electrical grid, stability of current is one of the most important priorities. And it's nonsensical to just have fire benders shooting short, uncontrolled, non-rhythmic bursts of output. You know how everyone's electronics can get fried from power surges when the power goes off? Now imagine that on a scale of that being your entire electrical grid.

2) You could reasonably explain away the physics of most of the bending in the show as entropy neutral events. But the lightning shooting is just nonsense. Huge amounts of energy are just created out of thin air. It completely defies the laws of thermodynamics.

3) Aesthetically, it's just a waste of power. It is literally the same as if you watched The Flash or Superman run on a treadmill eight hours a day to power the city instead of literally anything else that could be fun.

Anyways, I've never played KOTOR much of. But I've played a lot of other similar Bioware RPGs, and they all kinda sucked TBH. The only ones remotely interesting were the Dragon Age games, and even those were mechanically very dull.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:20 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Obligatory link to the webcomic where Superman is repurposed by economists to use his superpowers to generate electricity.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancerECNM View Post
I've tried to play through KOTOR several times and...
just find it really boring and repetitive
i'm sorry
I played and enjoyed Knights of the Old Republic on the ol' Xbox, but most of the fun times I had were back in Taris, the starter planet. Pretty much burned out while questing on Tatooine.

Probably give it another go whenever I can be arsed to buy it on my Xbox 360. Or if I'm stupid enough to try the mobile port again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
It's probably about 30% or 40% too long. It's a particularly common failing of RPGs of this era.
Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I've never played KOTOR much of. But I've played a lot of other similar Bioware RPGs, and they all kinda sucked TBH. The only ones remotely interesting were the Dragon Age games, and even those were mechanically very dull.
I've played some of Baldur's Gate, but I think it's the sequel (which I refuse to play until I beat BG1) where the series really came into its own? I mean, I'm nowhere near finishing the game, but it looks kinda like standard fantasy stuff in the first game (Hero's mentor dies, hero can't go home for reasons, villain is some Darth Vader-looking guy).

Honestly though, I've put more time into Planescape: Torment (Black Isle) and Fallout (Interplay Productions) and cRPG spiritual successors than into BioWare's games. Still haven't touched the Mass Effect or Dragon Age series, though remasters might convince me to if they happened.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:05 AM
Kiiiryu-chan~

I like the Mass Effect games (and Fallout), and part of that is because it's untethered from D&D. D&D, 3/3.5 especially, does not make for an especially good video game. D&D really needs a DM reacting to and bouncing off of players and their ingenuity to stick the landing. It's not a system with enough gameplay variety or depth in its core mechanics to be fun on their own, and the breadth of D&D can't really be applied to a video game with limited scope. Ironically, 4e would have made some really crunchy tactical RPGs, but it didn't really get any games.

Dragon Age 1 and 2 had a potion-chugging problem, but they take the Baldur's Gate formula and expand it in some really cool ways.

Both series have a gameplay thing about applying a power and then applying another independent power on top of that to cause the first power to like explode or change in some way. I found that really fun, especially since the combos were never made explicit but seemed internally consistent. The possibility space is small enough that you're almost certain to stumble onto them. There's a real "wait what just happened?" moment followed an aha! moment

Last edited by LancerECNM; 10-24-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:28 PM

The star wars theme seems pretty sweet, but I don't have much interest in Bioware outside of Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Baldur's Gate 2 is especially awesome (and it has co-op!) and I'd be shocked if I didn't see at least one of these on this list. Everything else from them seems completely average.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:52 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

#11 - The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

#10 - Baldur's Gate 2

I loved breaking Morrowind and its certainly the weirdest place the Elder Scrolls has gone.

I have a hard time loving anything to do with D&D 3.5. BG2 did presage how great Bioware was going to be though and just what they were possible of making.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:35 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

#9 - Persona 4

I haven't played Persona 4 or 5 but I did really enjoy playing 3 on the PSP.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

I loved Persona 4 at the time, but it's not a game I can go back to anymore. The game's treatment of Kanji, Naoto, and other aspects have not aged well. They weren't good at the time, either, but I was more forgiving then.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:36 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
#11 - The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

#10 - Baldur's Gate 2

I loved breaking Morrowind and its certainly the weirdest place the Elder Scrolls has gone.

I have a hard time loving anything to do with D&D 3.5. BG2 did presage how great Bioware was going to be though and just what they were possible of making.
BG 2 is AD&D (the one with THAC0) not 3rd or 3.5 edition.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:38 PM
Funko Superfan

Pronouns: He/Him

I donít know why Persona 3 was disqualified
Old 12-06-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I loved Persona 4 at the time, but it's not a game I can go back to anymore. The game's treatment of Kanji, Naoto, and other aspects have not aged well. They weren't good at the time, either, but I was more forgiving then.
Yeahhhhh, now that Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory exist, which are just Persona with positive, compassionate representation instead of abjectly oppressive, Persona feels really... obsolete.

Persona 4 is at least much better than 5 though, so I agree with them there. It's kind of unfortunate they couldn't just pick the Hiimdaisy comic itself.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:05 PM

What i liked about Persona 4 was how it made every random battle meaningful, which is rare in a modern JRPG - how it made you think about how much SP you are willing to spend in each battle and so on. Sadly, the game encourages you to grind - you want to fuse powerful demons! -, but the grinding process - going through the same dungeon over and over again - is boring.

I don't remember anything from the story, except annoying teenagers, awkward dating and a cute kid.

EDIT: And a sexy dad! But i don't remember if he's nice or not.

Last edited by clarice; 12-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I donít know why Persona 3 was disqualified
Gun violents
Old 12-06-2018, 06:49 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Quote:
Yep. I loved P4 at the time too but I don't think I can go back to it.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Pronouns: he

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oathbreaker View Post
Yeahhhhh, now that Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Hacker's Memory exist, which are just Persona with positive, compassionate representation instead of abjectly oppressive, Persona feels really... obsolete.

Persona 4 is at least much better than 5 though, so I agree with them there. It's kind of unfortunate they couldn't just pick the Hiimdaisy comic itself.
Do the digimon games have the social aspects of persona? I like that most of all.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:14 PM
This Guy

The only thing that would keep me from going back to Persona 4 is the 80 hours it takes to beat it.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Do the digimon games have the social aspects of persona? I like that most of all.
A little? Not nearly as much. You don't get social links and you don't get the option to actively "romance" characters, but other characters and digimon that aren't in your party message you occasionally and you get to respond. Doesn't amount to much, it's just a cute little thing that happens. Although with the digimon on the bench sometimes they quiz you on stuff (often specific knowledge about Japan) and their Camaraderie goes up if you know the answer (which is just a tertiary stat that lets them do boosted attacks more often in battles iirc).

Honestly I think it's better that it puts character development and interpersonal relationships into the narrative cuz Social Links are one of the biggest reasons I bounce off Persona these days (oof Naoto), especially when P5 backpedaled the consequence P4G finally included if you try to date everyone behind their backs.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:49 PM
Senhor Member

What was the consequence in P4G and what was the walk back? Just curious. Havenít played 4 in... 8 years and wonít again.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzarino Sbarro View Post
What was the consequence in P4G and what was the walk back? Just curious. Havenít played 4 in... 8 years and wonít again.
Yeah it's been a long time for me too so I may not have this completely right. At the end of the game I remember something about the characters confronting you about it and ending their relationships with you (I don't remember if it actually broke the Social Link itself or not). I didn't engage with the social links much in P5 but I heard you can just talk your way out of it if you get caught which is just extra of the problems I have with social links in 4.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:03 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
P4 came out in a period I jokingly refer to as "Pre-Woke Alexô", and it made me uncomfortable then. It's only gotten worse with age, and I find even more problems with it the more I think about it.

I mean, I watched all of Fist of the North Star and loved it, and that shit was misogynist as HECK. So I can understand playing/watching something that has problems and still coming out liking it in the end. But I don't get how people can do that P4, and never have.

Anyway, P5 is ALSO problematic but less so so I guess that "should" have won? I dunno, I guess? *shrug*
Old 12-06-2018, 09:14 PM
Hello. Can you hear me?

Pronouns: singular they 4 lyfe

P3P FeMC route is the only worthwhile Persona since 2

7th Dragon III encourages you to date everyone at the same time to the point where the heroes (plus a couple antagonists) basically turn into a pansexual polyamorous commune.

Cyber Sleuth is great. I really need to get around to Hacker's Memory soon...
Old 12-07-2018, 07:05 AM

Pronouns: he

Nadia's good people, and I really still like Persona 4 in spite of its flaws.

I can appreciate that I'm coming from a place of relative privilege in that regard, though, so if there is trans and non-hetero phobia present then that might be a too-tall hill to climb for some folks? And that's okay.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:36 AM

Never liked the game. Bad as a dungeon crawler, bad as some visual novel thing, lame story. The animu stuff just made it worse.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:27 PM
What's Shenmue?

Maybe one day Persona 4 will get a proper reappraisal, and be taken to task for all the deep-seated bigotry in its bones, instead of being cast as sensitive and relatable.

But I won't hold my breath.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:50 PM
Absolutely The Worst

I've actually really wanted to write about my reactions to the game while my cousin has been playing it. He is of the opinion that the bad parts are sooooo bad, and the the game's lesson is just 'conform to society or else' but still enjoys the social links (when not terrible) and the gameplay style and the overall artistic design.

I had to leave the room when it was time for Naoto's dungeon as well as Kanji's earlier.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:31 PM
What's Shenmue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaer View Post
Ö still enjoys the social links (when not terrible)
The S.Links are the only time modern Persona approaches being good; though definitely not without their issues (as you touched on, a lot of the female characters' links follow the pattern of unhappy with current predicament -> seek to change it -> learn that current predicament is Good, Actually because it makes others happy), they often display a level of sensitivity, nuance and sympathy that is simply not present in the main scenario. Chief among this is how it talks about loss, grief and related subjects; it's surprisingly mature and moving.

In general, Persona is at its strongest when on the subject of death, and at its worst when it starts talking about women, queer people, fat people, orÖ well, you get the idea. To me, this is why Persona 4 is the absolute nadir of the series, because it's ostensibly about these issues and yet never treats the people as anything more than gags. It should come as no surprise, though, given Hashino has never had a female friend in his entire life.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Absolutely The Worst

Can you imagine a Persona game made by non-shitheads?

The Dream.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

Quote:

The Dream.
That's why I keep dreaming of a Persona game made by Yoko Taro.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:28 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His
Default Yeah, I know you meant a NEW Persona.

Quote:

The Dream.
They exist, they were called Personas 1, 2, and Eternal Punishment. Though Persona 1 did have the misfortune of originally being localized by shitheads.

Tags
@gaer , glootz , tony hawk