The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-09-2017, 10:12 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Not sure, but I did hear shake to do execution moves
Old 11-12-2017, 07:33 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

I found the answer: it does not have gyro aiming.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:40 PM
King Of Space-Time

Via Kotaku

Doom Eternal Will Let You Invade Other Players' Campaigns

Old 08-10-2018, 05:16 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I found the answer: it does not have gyro aiming.
I am fairly sure it does, they patched it in
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Is this... The real Dark Souls?
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I am fairly sure it does, they patched it in
You're right. They didn't at the time of that post, and I didn't subsequently post to notify of the update.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:37 PM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

My mistake I didn't realise it was an old post :T
Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egarwaen View Post
Is this... The real Dark Souls?
Yes.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:00 AM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

Pretty sure this garnered a sale from me. I <3 invasions
Old 08-11-2018, 02:09 PM
oh my car

Anyway, here's the gameplay footage from Quakecon:

I like that they upgraded the Super Shotgun by combining it with the hookshot from Zelda.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:11 AM

D44M hit gamepass so I got it again last week and tried to play through it on nightmare mode and I gotta say I just didn't enjoy it and gave up pretty quickly into the first level.

I do a lot of hardest mode runs, like Legendary in Halo and stuff, but this was just maybe too difficult at the start, it's essentially two hits and you're dead and since it's an FPS you can get clipped in the back pretty easily by an imp.

There's a lot about D44M that isn't in the spirit of the old games, and that's fine, I like the game on its own merits, but I got certain expectations of what Nightmare in Doom means and this just ran too contrary to it.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:20 PM
oh my car

I've learned that somebody made a Serious Sam total conversion.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:19 AM
King Of Space-Time

Doom 2’s impossible secret is discovered, 24 years later
Co-creator John Romero sends his congratulations

Old 09-01-2018, 06:01 PM
oh my car

Old 12-05-2018, 06:48 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

There's a bunch of Doom threads on talking time, but I'll this all purpose one.

So apparently there's a zillion different source ports and mods and all that, a bunch of stuff that goes over my head because I don't really get into modding. I like vanilla experiences.

But Doom on PC today is unplayable. Man the controls are awful. However, I tried out Chocolate Doom, and I'm digging that. It's as vanilla a Doom experience as you can get, except that that it has a setup launcher that lets you customize controls. So I'm fine with that. I wish it let you upgrade the resolution. I mean, I don't want widescreen, just something higher than the 320 x 200. But hey, that's how I played the game back then.

Now, the XBLA version of Doom is really good. It also is very vanilla, just the controls make sense and the resolution is smoother. But if I'm at my PC and just want to quickly boot up Doom and go through a level, Chocolate Doom is doing the trick for me.

Also I bought Doom 2016 on a Steam sale, but I don't have a PC that can handle it yet. Still, eventually I will. I'm stoked because that game looks awesome.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Spear of Justice

I realize it's sacrilege for Doom purists, but I really like GZDoom for its insane number of rendering and HUD options.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

GZDoom or Zandronum are the two big open source engines (you just provide the wad(s) plus mods if desired). The only real difference from vanilla D1/2/F is that mouseaim is on by default control/presentation wise. Otherwise it looks exactly like it would/should back on the day on top end rigs.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Kiiiryu-chan~

also jumping
Old 12-05-2018, 09:12 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Well, yeah, but you can also disable it/unbind the command. Wads also have their own internal jump allowed setting (because it showed up in....one of the Hexens?), but older wads like the DOOMs don't have it set because they predate the flag usage.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:28 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Otherwise it looks exactly like it would/should back on the day on top end rigs.
Original Doom isn't a true 3D engine, whereas GZDoom renders its levels using actual polygons and hardware acceleration. Most players probably won't care, but there is a perceptible difference aside from the increased resolution. On the other hand, Chocolate Doom was developed to be as accurate as possible to the original, including a lack of higher resolutions and reproducing all the bugs in Doom's engine.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:32 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Original Doom isn't a true 3D engine, whereas GZDoom renders its levels using actual polygons and hardware acceleration.
Yeah, the bolded part is what I thought. So when I was a video recently of gameplay of GZDoom where you could mouse look (as in the Y axis is not looked and you could look around like you could in any other 3D shooter from Quake onward) I was like huhhhhh??? I didn't even think that was possible with the original Doom engine? I mean, did they really just restrict the y-axis arbitrarily and we could have had it all along?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought in original Doom, rooms weren't ever on top of another. Like, it looks like a 3D game, but it's really not. You couldn't render a room above or below another room.

My understanding of how all this worked is very limited, I was just under the impression that looking up and down wasn't even possible. It never occurred to me that it could have been arbitrarily disabled?
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 PM
oh my car

GZDoom renders a true hardware-accelerated 3D environment in the conventional modern way, which is why mouselook works and even looks like it does in games with mouselook. However, it is possible to configure it so that you can't aim up or down.

Other source ports use the original rendering which is not truly 3D, and those that have hacked mouselook into it look weird when you try it.

Doom is fundamentally a 2D game, of course - the level format is what doesn't support the ability to have rooms on top of each other, not the rendering engine, and even the most liberal source ports retain the strictly 2D hit detection unless you turn on something experimental.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:04 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Right, the original engine couldn't really do it. There was a mod that lets you look up and down with the original engine but it screws up the perspective quick and fierce.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:16 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Right on. Yeah, I'll stick to the conservative stuff. Mouselook and jumping and true 3D rendering, in my mind, make the game into a remake. That's fine if that's what you're looking for. But for me, I just want the original game with controls that aren't atrocious by modern standards. If Chocolate Doom let up the resolution a bit while maintaining the 4:3 aspect ratio, it would be perfect. Anyway, I'm still content with what I have.

The XBLA version is actually almost exactly what I'm looking for, except you're forced to scroll through weapons. You can't switch directly from, say, shotgun to rocket launcher. That's about the only knock I can think of. Chocolate Doom has restricted resolution, XBLA Doom has restricted controls. Both are good ways to go in my opinion. (Oh but apparently XBLA Doom plays the music faster than the actual original? I read that on one of the wikis I think.)

Ok I guess that all the input I have about the original Dooms. Still looking forward to Doom 2016 some day....
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 AM

I'm never too far from a copy of Doom My friends and I did zdoom a few year sback thanks to the ease of multiplayer; but I never really liked it. I love the original experience and the xbox versions made it really easy to do some fun, but challenging co-op.

Actually put some time both in Doom XBLA and Chocolate doom on my pc this week...I'm definitely having an easier time with the xbox versions; I find that I keep missing shotgun shots in chocolate cause I'm using the arrow keys to move around.

As for the controls; in Doom 2's XBLA port they actually made it so that the d-pad will select certain weapons; they're bound by ammo type so up scrolls through the two shotguns, right through the pistol/chaingun, etc.... don't think the OG doom port has it, unfortunately.

I'm up to Gotcha in Doom 2 XBLA on my pistol starts only UV playthrough...I can't beat it D:
Old 12-10-2018, 08:12 AM
hidden in snow

John Romero's releasing a Doom sequel next year, well, really a new megawad for OG Doom. 9 single player and 9 deathmatch levels, free but you'll need a copy of Doom. I'm sure it'll work in all your fancy Doom source ports too. There's fancy signed boxes and feelies available too, for a limited time.

Hopefully it ramps up more like Ep 1-3, and not as super hard as Thy Flesh Consumed.

Edit: Romero's streaming it now, https://www.twitch.tv/theromero. He said the levels are harder than any that he's made before, he assumes everyone's gotten better in the last 25 years.

Tags
doom , first-person shooters , huge guts , i came i saw i chainsawed , id software , rip and tear , snappin' & mappin'