The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 12-04-2018, 11:02 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Pronouns: they/they
Default LTTP: Fallout 4

I started this last night. I got as far as starting Sanctuary and now this is just a weird building/survival sim?

It's not Subnautica but its close. And I'd certainly play a game that was just Subnautica in a postapocalyptic world (I'd play any game that was Subnautica + setting/genre)

I guess I could do the story at some point but it's going to be a while... I've got this whole town to build now.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

One of the big reasons why I don't have as many Fallout 4 runs as I do Skyrim runs is that I always have a heavy temptation to dismantle the near entirety of Sanctuary and the nearby Red Rocket gas station as soon as I get to them.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:15 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Also fighting a Deathclaw and getting Power Armor in the first 30 minutes of the game?!

That's not normal. The fight also seemed bugged. NPCs kept telling me to stay on the roof but the raiders and Deathclaw never approached. I had to go down to the street to do it. And then the Deathclaw would rip me up good before I figured there were a few spots that it would get stuck on.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:22 AM
Come, noble knights!

I really wish the game didn't make you fight a Deathclaw so early. I get the idea behind it (i.e. Skyrim dragon moment, "Look how awesome power armor is now!"), I just don't think that throwing one of the most powerful enemies in the game into a starter mission is a good idea.

Also that Deathclaw is a friggin' wall if you're playing on Survival difficulty.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 AM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I jumped down to the street, then ran up to the building on the right side at the end of the road and went up to the second floor so I could attack from the balcony. It was very effective!
Old 12-04-2018, 12:03 PM
Find Your Reason

I thought I'd love the landscaping/settlement building mechanics, since I like similar minigames in other games, but I just find it so very tedious in this game. Probably because the environments and resources available to me are so very drab, or, at least, I lack the creativity to do the massive theme parks people share online and I'm intimidated by them. But even trying to run a power grid from a hydroelectric generator to a single street's worth of public lighting is such a chore I gave up on renovating Sanctuary itself, and my (failed) attempt to seal off the irradiated pond at the drive-in was so much harder than it needed to be.

Otherwise, I had so much fun exploring that I spent 72 hours in the upper third of the map, visiting everywhere I could walk to between Sanctuary and Cambridge, and between the abandoned Chapel and the wreck of the Libertalia, and I haven't even gotten to Diamond City yet! Getting a PS4 in Nov 2016 put a halt on my Commonwealth Quest, but I'm itching to get back into it so I can finally meet decent companions other than the dog, the robot, and Preston Harvey.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Fallout 76 is trash and I do not consider it a mainline FO game.

I am onboard with getting Dogmeat early in the game. The early the better I feel. Hopefully, in FO5 you start the game with Dogmeat and then in FO6 you play as Dogmeat.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:15 PM
Current Objective:Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I got as far as starting Sanctuary and now this is just a weird building/survival sim?
Protip: Build up one settlement as your weapon/armor/Power Armor storage dump. Don't let any settlers, companions, or other thieving jerks live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I just don't think that throwing one of the most powerful enemies in the game into a starter mission is a good idea.
Wait, there was a mirelurk? Actually, I found almost everything more dangerous than deathclaws. Pretty disappointing. And by the time I had enough fusion cores to use PA regularly, I was glued to my shadowed deep pocked legendary light leather armor.

The whole setpiece is a sham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
I am onboard with getting Dogmeat early in the game. The early the better I feel.
I could not keep Dogmeat or Codsworth around because they were in my way 110% of the time, both in and out of combat.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

I like build'em-up type games and I've been a fan of the Fallout series since the 90s. So on paper Fallout 4 should be one of my favorite games because it combines those two genres by adding base-building to the open-world exploits of previous Bethesda games. However, in this instance the game's overall experience manages to be less than the sum of its parts.

The open-world exploring is still a lot of fun and there are a handful of really great moments in the game. But the radiant quests (i.e., procedurally generated missions) are a complete waste of time.

The base-building was something I found fun and spent an inordinate amount of time with. But the tools for building are so imprecise that you wind up fighting the controls much of the time when you are trying to build something. And the amount of resources you have to accumulate in order to build up a settlement means that you'll spend a huge amount of time grinding in every dungeon, scouring every shelf and every corner to find things to carry back home. And because Bethesda games always carry a somewhat restrictive carry limit you'll find yourself making innumerable boring trips back to the home base in order to drop stuff off before going back and picking up more detritus that you need for building settlements. Get used to staring at the interminable load screen because you'll be seeing it endlessly!

But even if you go through all the above effort to build up amazing settlements (which I did!) the impact on the game is pretty marginal. The narrative of the games presents the idea that you're settling the wasteland and taming the areas that had once been the remit of lawlessness and violence. But nothing really changes, there aren't any meaningful rewards for building up the settlements. It all winds up feeling like a huge waste of time.

The story has a fantastic potential in the early going but then the narrative completely collapses in a way that completely wastes the potential of the setting, particularly with respect to The Institute, and also manages to make player choice almost totally meaningless (in one of the most important moments of the game choosing a certain action completely breaks the plot).

I enjoyed playing New Vegas on hardcore mode because it feels very fitting to make the nuclear-irradiated wastelands a place where you would need to struggle to maintain your health. But in Fallout 4 choosing survival mode just makes the combat difficulty absolutely punitive. It's incredibly challenging to survive combat while in survival mode. And the game also has a nasty habit of crashing which can make for an incredibly infuriating experience when you scrape and claw to eke out a combat victory on this difficulty setting and then the game just freezes up and you lose all your progress.

Despite some really interesting ideas and a few moments that are excellent Fallout 4 manages to be a game that is deeply flawed and very disappointing. I'd have a hard time recommending to anyone except people just looking to play it very casually on lower difficulty settings or die-hard Fallout fans who feel obligated to play the game despite its faults.

(And then of course, Fallout 76 is now out and has shown the world that Fallout 4 isn't a one-off fluke but instead a trend line of a company in such a deep decline that it is now content to push a broken product out the door for sixty dollars and call it a day.)
Old 12-04-2018, 01:11 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThricebornPhoenix View Post
Wait, there was a mirelurk?
I do admit, the mirelurks and radscorpions in this game are really nasty. Giving them the ability to frickin' burrow was just cruel, and it makes it a lot harder to play a sneaky-shooty build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I enjoyed playing New Vegas on hardcore mode because it feels very fitting to make the nuclear-irradiated wastelands a place where you would need to struggle to maintain your health. But in Fallout 4 choosing survival mode just makes the combat difficulty absolutely punitive. It's incredibly challenging to survive combat while in survival mode. And the game also has a nasty habit of crashing which can make for an incredibly infuriating experience when you scrape and claw to eke out a combat victory on this difficulty setting and then the game just freezes up and you lose all your progress.
Sleep early, sleep often.

Seriously though, I like the concept of a survival mode that's an actual challenge a lot, but it needs more options for saving than just sleeping in beds. There are a lot of places in the game without beds, places where you can't just build new beds.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:16 PM
Ho Ho Hoooooo

Pronouns: he/him

Man I don't like Fallout 4 very much
Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Man I don't like Fallout 4 very much
Sure does look a lot prettier and run more stably than 3 and New Vegas, though. I mean, there's still bugs, but I didn't have as many problems with them as I did in previous Bethesda (and Obsidian) sandboxes.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Yukon Cornelius Fan

Fallout 4 crashed on me more than any other entry in the series, though New Vegas was certainly prone to freezing up as well.

Fallout 4 is such a damn shame because I can still see its glimmer of potential to be one of the all-time greats but it was just bogged down by so many bad design decisions and narrative shortcomings.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:58 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

I took a break after getting to diamond city, and I haven't done almost any base building (aside from the initial quests), but I enjoyed my time with it a lot. As far as wandering around the wasteland and having simple and comprehensible upgrade systems, it's extremely solid.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
Fallout 4 crashed on me more than any other entry in the series, though New Vegas was certainly prone to freezing up as well.
Were you playing on PC? I play the game on PS4 and crashes were rare for me.

Rare, not nonexistent. But they didn't happen anywhere near as often as with earlier Bethesda games I played.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Protip: Build up one settlement as your weapon/armor/Power Armor storage dump. Don't let any settlers, companions, or other thieving jerks live there.
I made the Red Rocket my personal home. I built a single stairway up to the roof and then built a three story cement tower up there. I'd get a couple of random attacks but the turrets up there would take out everything before it got close and while the AI couldn't pathfind a way up there.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Spear of Justice

Red Rocket 4 lyfe. Only issue with making it your primary base is the settlers' bad pathing getting them stuck on stairs leading to the roof, but it's not a huge deal if you have a couple different sets of stairs.

I actually really enjoy the basebuilding in this game, even in the ridiculously tiny settlements like Hangman's Alley where there's almost no room on the ground and you're essentially forced to get creative with vertical space.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:36 PM
Space dad

I

HATE

base building, unless it's an RTS or something really designed for it

I don't know if I'll do it at all in this game. I threw a few crappy beds into a couple houses to get a quest prompt off my back and struck out for a satellite station to kill a bandit who had a minigun and haven't been back.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcasmorator View Post
I don't know if I'll do it at all in this game. I threw a few crappy beds into a couple houses to get a quest prompt off my back and struck out for a satellite station to kill a bandit who had a minigun and haven't been back.
If nothing else you now have to ability to create your own safe storage facility in almost any region of the map, instead of always using the dumpsters next to Chet's store.

Fallout 4: 1
Fallout: New Vegas: almost everything else, really
Old 12-06-2018, 12:44 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
If nothing else you now have to ability to create your own safe storage facility in almost any region of the map, instead of always using the dumpsters next to Chet's store.

Fallout 4: 1
Fallout: New Vegas: almost everything else, really
I'm sure that's useful for the convenience of having your junk near the crafting tables, but I stored my surplus shit in Victor's shack 'cuz that's where I sleep in Goodsprings. He's a TV set mounted on a unicycle, he ain't using it.

Also with the Lonesome Road DLC installed ED-E functions as a portable ammo bench and workbench.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 PM

Victor's shack is slightly further from the fast travel point and I didn't play Hardcore for an embarrassingly long time. Now it's just a habit I can't seem to break.

Anyway, Fallout 4: literally unplayable?
Old 12-06-2018, 08:51 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Victor's shack is slightly further from the fast travel point and I didn't play Hardcore for an embarrassingly long time. Now it's just a habit I can't seem to break.
Ah, so Fast Travel lands you close to the shops there. I tend to hoof it everywhere most of the time in these games, so I didn't know that.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:54 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Sorry for hijacking, but I've never played any of these games.

Fallout 3, or New Vegas? 3 looks visually more interesting to me, Vegas looks.....desert.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Oh god New Vegas for sure. Better everything all around except as you pointed out, desert isn't for everyone and it's a whole lotta desert.

New Vegas's coding/programming is also slightly less broken, on every platform iirc. If you're thinking about it on PC, shouldn't be too much of a problem though I did try to help someone on here a few weeks ago when New Vegas wouldn't start for them to no avail so YMMV.

Avoid both on PS3 at all costs.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:59 PM
Senhor Member

New Vegas is better, but... follow ur heart. All Fallout games look plastered in garbage that you’d really think they could’ve cleaned up by now.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 PM
Come, noble knights!

Fallout 3 (and also 4) is the better dungeon crawler; Fallout: New Vegas is the better RPG. Really depends on what you're in the mood for.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:21 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I'm still plugging away at this. I've liberated/created two other settlements at this point. I've reached Diamond City.

I get the feeling that I should be recruiting people to move to Sanctuary but I'm not sure how to do that? Doesn't make sense to make a city if no one lives there. The other "settlements" also haven't seemed to have grown any either.

I did get invited to join the Brotherhood. Its silly that one of the things they offer you is Power Armor when you get that at the very very beginning of the game. That offer would be much more compelling if they armor was rarer. I've seen raiders run around in it already!?

I also found the Synth scare in Diamond City really really weird. Like a guy got killed because he thought his brother was a Synth, the paper runs articles implying that the mayor is a Synth and that the greatest menace to people are the Synths. And then Valentine is just there walking around doing his thing, beloved and accepted by everyone in town. Like what the fuck? Shouldn't there be some reason for why Valentine is okay? Shouldn't some of the people be a little suspicious?

Weird. Anyway, I'm getting ready to follow up on the lead that Valentine gave me for the guy who kidnapped my kid.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Oh No!

You need to build a "Signal Generator" or something like that and hook it up to power to grow your settlement - as long as it's active a settlement will slowly get more settlers in it up to a general population limit somewhere in the 20s.

You can also move people from one settlement to another manually, but that might require certain charisma perks - I can't recall exactly. It doesn't get you any new settlers either - just moves existing ones around.

Ironically I believe that Nick Valentine gets a bit of a pass in Diamond City is because he's so obviously a Synth - he has too much damage to cover that up and he doesn't even try. What people are scared of are Synths that look like "regular" people that they can't tell are Synths at a glance. On the other hand they know Nick is a Synth, and has always been upfront about that, and has probably lived in Diamond City longer than most of the current residents, so he's "their" Synth.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:41 PM
Come, noble knights!

You can build broadcast towers to attract more settlers to your settlements. You need to build beds for people, too. Ninja'd.

But anyway, like jovewolf said a lot of the paranoia involving synths revolves around the whole Snatcher thing, the fear of clones replacing loved ones and authority figures to further the Institute's agenda.

Nick Valentine's an older generation synth prototype though, so he probably registers more as a robot to the common people. Dude doesn't look a creepy robot skeleton and he isn't a meat puppet trying to replace someone's grandpa.

Last edited by MetManMas; 12-12-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:42 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
You can build broadcast towers to attract more settlers to your settlements. You need to build beds for people, too.
Is everyone in the wasteland completely helpless? They can't make their own damn beds?

How did they ever manage before I came along?

Tags
fallout , lttp