The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about sports

Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Banned

Default MUSCLE VILLAGE 2: Double Extended Inverted Ab Extension Twists

This is the thread for skinny people like me who want to bulk up. Or really, anyone who wants to be more buff. I suppose it's the counterpart to this thread.

So I've decided that I want to be stronger, both lower and upper body. I think I have lower somewhat taken care of because I recently joined my school's track team. I have very, very little upper body strength, though. I tried lifting once but kinda lost motivation, but now I have more of a motivation to become fit, especially as I'm doing a sport now.

So far, I weigh 107 pounds at 5'6". What should my target weight be if I start lifting (I don't want to have too much mass as that's bad for distance runners, but I want to at least look lean but muscular), and what are some good lifts for the upper body? I'm thinking 120 or 130 pounds for now, perhaps doing things like bench presses, pushups, and crunches.

Sorry about the questions, but I'm sure at least a few of you were or are in a similar situation and have some good tips from experience and such. Anyone else can post and ask about their experiences with bulking up as well
Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Pickle Fetish

yay! I was just conversing with queenie that I felt quite feminine with all my concerns about weight loss in the 10 lbs or less thread. Doing those posts ina weightlifting thread will be a more masculine venture.

Back on topic, there are hundreds of ways to strength train, it's just a matter of finding what you feel comfortable with and can maintain motivation for. For me this involved 3 things I never thought I'd buy. An exercise ball, push-up bars, and dumbells. I thought the pushup bars were a stupid gimmick, but they've really worked for me. The exercise ball is great for mid-section exercises. The dumbells for curls/reverse curls. I keep all of the equipment setup in the living room and do one set of each exercise every night while watching tv. Even one set each night or every other night added a lot of definition to my body. After only one month friends noticed the difference.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Banned

1.) Don't do crunches, they do nasty compression things to your lower back. Do bridges (first google hit for abdominal bridges). Do them for your sides as well. Tense your ab muscles IN as you do these.

I had a friend in undergrad that tensed his abs OUT while doing crunches and bridges, and he looked 9 months pregnant after half a semester. Solid muscle, mind you, no fat...but still unflattering.

2.) I am so jealous of those of you who fight to gain weight, instead of fighting to lean out. Your solution is to simply, bluntly...eat more.

Eat more HEALTHY foods, and eat them when you're not hungry as snacks (glasses of milk, PBJ sandwiches, chicken breast or other meats, nuts are great for dense calories). Your body already keeps you lean, and you can just stop eating as often once you're at weight.

...then there's those of us who gain looking at a tic tac. grr.

3.) cut back on your long cardio workouts as much as possible. do SPRINTS rather than endurance on the track team, and do more weight-lifting with higher weights/lower reps.

This one is easy. Look at an Olympic sprinter vs an Olympic marathon runner. (Male pictures, as female ones might be borderline NSFW given what they run in. Also, to be fair, they're more on the extremes of the body types that training develops to illustrate the idea better).

Which would you rather look like? Yeah, the former. So interval training for your cardio is what you want. Of course, you have genetics guiding the range of what you can look like, but the training matters, too.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Banned

Pushup bars? great for your wrists, less strain on 'em. Especially good for those of us on the keyboard all day. No shame in them. Just be sure you have your hand and wrist straight out, don't let it sag like you had your palms on the floor, when you do pushups.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Faceshove champion

This is actually something I've been struggling with a bit myself. I would do exercises to try and add muscle, but nothing really seriously improved because of my diet.

I have realized that I simply had to eat more. And focus on eating more protein especially, and a little more cholesterol. Peanut butter and nuts have become very important in my diet lately, and I've been trying to add some cholesterol to my diet in the form of eggs and chicken.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:37 AM
We just don't know.

I was thinking about starting this thread, actually.

Although it's not necessarily the same thing because I'm not skinny. I'm just trying to build strength and muscle for Judo because I feel pretttttty weak sometimes, and when I look at actual Judo athletes in my weight class I need to turn this fat into muscle stat if I want to have a chance. My only problem is finding time to get to the gym more than once a week.

Also, I'm not sure if my routine is working too well. I'm getting better at like the bench and such, but slowly. So... slowly. I often feel like I'm not making any progress at all. I'm probably just impatient, though.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Pickle Fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin View Post
This is actually something I've been struggling with a bit myself. I would do exercises to try and add muscle, but nothing really seriously improved because of my diet.

I have realized that I simply had to eat more. And focus on eating more protein especially, and a little more cholesterol. Peanut butter and nuts have become very important in my diet lately, and I've been trying to add some cholesterol to my diet in the form of eggs and chicken.
This is probably why I've always been able to put on muscle easily. My daily diet consists of two meals with chicken and some kind of peanut butter granola bars for snacks. If they made Reese's chicken, my life would be awesome.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:01 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwolfe View Post
It's Qwop! Hi, Qwop!
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
1.) Don't do crunches, they do nasty compression things to your lower back. Do bridges (first google hit for abdominal bridges). Do them for your sides as well. Tense your ab muscles IN as you do these.
Oh, these look like a great alternative. I was beginning to show signs of those nasty compression things, but caught them in the nick of time. I've avoided crunches like the plague ever since.

Speaking of which: what kind of weight-lifting exercises (machine or otherwise) should I avoid, considering that the lower back also feels (and is compressed by) whatever weight you're lifting?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:31 PM

dwolfe says to pass on the crunches.

Other than that, this routine might not work the hamstrings that much, but maybe the lunges get in there. I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:

I had a friend in undergrad that tensed his abs OUT while doing crunches and bridges, and he looked 9 months pregnant after half a semester. Solid muscle, mind you, no fat...but still unflattering.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
poisonous thread snake

I looked up compression but I'm not sure what to make of it. I've been doing crunches for a couple years and haven't really had any problems.

Also what does he mean by '9 months pregnant?' I assume it doesn't have anything to do with 'compression' or whatever. Does he mean overdevelopment of the upper abdominals?
Old 09-29-2011, 03:41 PM

I assume he meant that because his friend had his abdominals extended out instead of tensed in during all that ab work that they stuck that way.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:08 AM

You could try growth hormones.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:53 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Default Re: Bulking Up: Weightlifting thread for Skinny People (or anyone who wants to be buf

Which u of a and what weight class
Old 03-27-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

It's called a "beer gut" for a reason so if I switch to wine or vodka it will be okay right
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
It's called a "beer gut" for a reason so if I switch to wine or vodka it will be okay right
2 oz of bourbon between sets and you're goldne
Old 03-28-2013, 09:00 AM
Arch-Chocolatier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK Flash View Post
Look at Russian Olympic lifters, chug that vodka, watch the gains come in
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 AM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

guys, I'm having ulnar wrist pain (wrist area around the outside of the forearm) like whoa. Like, even using my mouse or balancing my laptop with my right hand can hurt. Has anyone had something like that? I already skipped my lifting workout today to give my shoulder a rest, now I'm considering skipping my back/biceps/core workout tomorrow to give my wrists and forearms a rest. BLECH
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM
HAMKING

Yeah, I had that a while back. Got sloppy on a power clean and bam! shitty wrist pain. Was hard at first to even turn my hand over. I gave it rest, then started using these when I lift:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...lePLA:11176816
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 PM
HAMKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Which u of a and what weight class
University of Alabama. We had a team in the National College Wrestling Association (our NCAA team got axed by Title IX back in the 80s). Heavyweight. I was a smallllll heavy, though, haha. Finished that season about 250 lbs or so. Finished 4th in the southeast tournament, hung 'em up after that.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Indelible Inkling

So my new apartment doesn't have a good space to jump rope in, so I'm looking for a new off-day, at-home workout. Kettlebells are all that I can think of, but unsure how well they compliment regular weight work or what weight I would use. Ideas?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM
HAMKING

I do a full-body weightlifting routine (mostly big compound lifts) with off days between lifting sessions. On some of those off days I'll do 20 - 30 minutes of kettlebell stuff for endurance/cardio. It can help work some soreness out, too.

I started with a 35 pounder. After quite a while using that I tried out a 53 pounder a friend had and moved up to that. I moved up again a couple of years ago to a 70 pounder. I still keep the 53 for some stuff, too. The movements are a bit different than what you do with a barbell/dumbells, so don't be discouraged if you have to start out light to get the form down. Ain't no shame!
Old 06-19-2013, 01:29 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Pronouns: he/him/his

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mokrap View Post
don't be discouraged if you have to start out light to get the form down. Ain't no shame!
This is great advice not just for kettlebells, but for lifting in general.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Dostoevsky is immortal!

Regarding morning v. evening workouts - I'm a morning guy all the way, to the point that if I don't work out in the morning I know I'm just not going to be working out that day. I also come home with post-work angst, but more often than not it just makes me tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by periodical View Post
So my new apartment doesn't have a good space to jump rope in, so I'm looking for a new off-day, at-home workout. Kettlebells are all that I can think of, but unsure how well they compliment regular weight work or what weight I would use. Ideas?
Kettlebells:

Kettlebell deadlift

Kettlebell swing

Kettlebell cleans

Sumo squat

Pullovers

Non-Kettlebells:

Burpees

Air squats

Reverse Lunges

Mountain Climbers

Planks
Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Planks
I do planks directly after every kettlebell workout, once I catch my breath. Recommended.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:56 PM
S*xual Tyrannosaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by periodical View Post
Is there a parking lot or something you can use for jumping rope?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Indelible Inkling

Ya sadly burpees are probably out too, there's no place I can really jump without making a ton of noise in the building.

Any guidelines for what weight to get for kettlebells?
Old 06-19-2013, 01:52 PM
l AM THE MANFIGHTER

35 is a common starting weight for kettlebells. Me, I have a 5'9" frame, was naturally a skinny fuck until metabolism slowed down and beer flowed into my body. Point is, 25 pounds was a good weight for me to learn to kettlebell on. But if you're already fit maybe 35 will do the trick. Just be sure to do low reps until you learn the form whatever moves you choose to do.

edit: Also keep in mind Mokrap is a lumberjack of a man, so while 35 was good for him (or most already physically active males) it might not be the best if you're built like me. But like I said, I was scrawny growing up and had no natural strength to speak of.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Indelible Inkling

There's a park nearby, but I like using the exercise to offset doing work at home. It was great before cause I could just jump rope for 15 minutes every 2 hours or so and feel awake and active all day. I may just have to give that idea up though.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Banned

Before you completely give it up, why don't you try setting down an exercise mat and asking your downstairs neighbors how loud it is? They might not care.

Tags
#assbutt , anatoly comin' , believe in yo'self , body explosion , brodin , bulk up for the big game , butt-glutes , deca dick , do you even clean , fightingroad! , hamglue , i'm gonna boo boo , jotunheim , king of bench , lifting buddha , lifting is not a sport , maximum goku , maximus claw , muscle bomber , paul is dead