The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Let's Play Already

Old 10-10-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Longplays usually have no commentary at all, it's just someone going through the whole thing (often in one sitting).
Huh, I've not heard of this term before either. I usually search for "silent let's play" with mixed results.

Thanks!
Old 10-11-2017, 02:09 AM
Come, noble knights!

Nothing against the good people who put their time and effort into LPing these games, but when it comes to videos I usually prefer Longplays over Let's Plays 'cuz more often than not I enjoy footage of a game with somebody talking over it about as much as somebody backseat gaming when I'm playing something.

I'm cool with text LPs, though. Love to take 'em at my own pace.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
Nothing against the good people who put their time and effort into LPing these games, but when it comes to videos I usually prefer Longplays over Let's Plays 'cuz more often than not I enjoy footage of a game with somebody talking over it about as much as somebody backseat gaming when I'm playing something.
When I spend time with a game I want to learn about it. I can do that by playing it or watching a Let's Play but not so much by watching a Long Play.

I would agree that a game's audio is a big part of the experience, so when I'm not watching videos I'm often listening to soundtracks of games I haven't played.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

On the occasions where I made a video, I usually leave all the commentary in annotations. That way you can just turn them off.

(I have not made any video LPs with any commentary since YouTube removed annotations as a feature of videos.)
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Lotus Prince certainly appreciated the aesthetic of Child of Eden, but he got especially worked up when he beat the challenge mode.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Space Patrol LancerECNM

I find a good Let's Play is more about the player than the game. I'll watch just about anything from UnPlayedAThing, SuperGreatFriend, or Voidburger.

UnPlayedAThing has this tack for being informative without being dry, and plays stuff you probably won't see elsewhere, like every single Space Harrier, Todd McFarlane's reimagining of the New Testament: Dark Savior, and Aquanauts Hidden Holiday.

SuperGreatFriend's often incredulous and conspiratorial tone is perfect for the often ridiculous and quirky games he plays like Deadly Premonition, Illbleed, Shenmue, and Ring: Terror's Realm.

Voidburger is just super cool in general with the definitive LPs of Silent Hill 2 and the PS2 Nightmare Before Christmas game. And loads of other stuff.

EDIT: Oh yeah, ManyATrueNerd is basically the one-stop-shop for Fallout games. He has three, THREE different runs of Fallout New Vegas, and they're all amazing: No kills, kill everything, and a never heal ever run. It's just a great experience to see someone so familiar with a game push it to its limits like that. And that's just his New Vegas stuff.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:47 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

What is your favorite kind of game video when you want an overview of a game that's longer than a review but shorter than a full Let's Play or Long Play? Does anybody make highly edited Let's Plays? How about spoiler-filled reviews? I know there's plenty of speed runs out there but those are mainly about showing off the player's skill (or the tool-assisted editor's persistence), not about teaching newcomers about the game. The later is what I want.

Last edited by Vega; 11-28-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Are You Sure About That?

TheHideofBeast's MMX runthroughs are probably the gold standard of this?
Old 11-28-2017, 01:19 PM

Is this like for getting ramped up as a newcomer or is this about curiosity as an onlooker/potential consumer?
Old 11-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
TheHideofBeast's MMX runthroughs are probably the gold standard of this?
Those are some good challenge runs but they're not exactly intros to the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Is this like for getting ramped up as a newcomer or is this about curiosity as an onlooker/potential consumer?
I used to be a vigorous, patient gamer, wanting to play every good game thoroughly. Now I'm lazy and impatient so I just want to quickly watch someone else play the hundreds of games I've been mildly interested in. If a game contains a lot of repetitive parts or the LPer frequently dies, I want those edited out, but I still want it created for new players.

Honestly though, I'm acting totally spoiled here. The LPs on YouTube are already great. And if I'm really so impatient, a review or Honest Trailer is probably sufficient.

Edit: You know what I just figured out? I don't have to watch LPs from start to finish. Once I've gotten the gist of the game from the first 20 minutes or so I can just scrub through the timeline and watch the parts that look unique.

Last edited by Vega; 11-28-2017 at 06:48 PM.