The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM
McBear

Default Shootmans: The Shootening - A Risk of Rain Thread

you guys this gaaaaaame.

So good.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:06 AM
New Video World is out!

I made a thread before but it was met with hostility, derision and racial slurs*.

I loved it at first, but it became apparent that it's very much a fleeting love. At least, it was for me. The enemies don't really appreciably get any tougher as the difficulty scales up; they just take more hits, really. It turns every map after the first into a slog.

*lies
Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Banned

Upon repeated plays, you find yourself in level 1 so often, hunting down every last item, it just breaks your will to continue.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:53 AM
Follow the fuck-man

I did a couple play throughs on easy last night to unlock some of the other classes. Now I have all the classes but the one that requires 15 monster logs and the two that are unlocked through beating the game 1 or 5 times. I have to say the game does get extremely old incredibly fast no matter what class you play. With the melee classes you are still doing essentially the same thing as the ranged, just trying to find a safe spot to run left to right around while pot shots at the enemy every other second. I am thinking to try towards a medium run soon to see if it is any better now but I am not expecting the other classes are going to make medium any less maddeningly difficult.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 AM
McBear

The game does seem repetitive, but I like how the game rewards multiple plays, putting new and interesting items behind achievements. My favorite item right now is the Barbed Wire, coupled with Acrid, my favorite class.

Plus it's hella fun in Multiplayer. Kefkafloyd, Brickroad, and I streamed it one night this past week.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Xmas Sandwich Anarchy

When did this game let you start unlocking things on easy? I double checked last night after O..O~ said he'd been doing that and my install doesn't let you. I can only assume v1.0.0.0 is the troll release.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
The game does seem repetitive, but I like how the game rewards multiple plays, putting new and interesting items behind achievements. My favorite item right now is the Barbed Wire, coupled with Acrid, my favorite class.

Plus it's hella fun in Multiplayer. Kefkafloyd, Brickroad, and I streamed it one night this past week.
Is it easy to get multiplayer running smoothly? When I looked at the multiplayer screen out of curiosity I got terraia flashbacks and got scared. The one friend of mine that had Terraia and I could never get the game's multiplayer running smoothly between the two of us no matter who the host was.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM
concern troll

Yeah, this game is a lot of fun. I can see how it could get repetitive but I think it's really going to last with multiplayer. I look forward to trying that out soon. Maybe tonight?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM
McBear

I have an errand to run, but tonight will work. Not getting off until 6 ET, and the hour commute I have is still a thing.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:20 PM
concern troll

I unlocked the Enforcer class, and I love the way it works, especially compared to the Comando. I can totally see how these are classes that work on their own but would work even better in a group.

I actually have to work tonight, so I won't be home until a little later, between 10 and midnight eastern (work has been kind of wonky lately), and that's assuming I get to jump right on. But if anyone's still up if/when I get on we should play.

So does the game support any kind of in-game chat, voice or text? Or do you have to use skype/mumble? Also how many people can play together? I haven't gone into that mode at all yet.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
McBear

In-game chat is a no-go, so we'll have to use Skype or something like that. Multiplayer goes for up to 4 players.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
In-game chat is a no-go, so we'll have to use Skype or something like that.
So there's not even quick text commands or anything for pickup games? That's kinda lame. there should at least be options to say "go there" or "come here." Oh well.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:36 PM
Spear of Justice

The core of the game seems pretty solid, but everything else about it is very kludgy. There are no official servers, so you either have to host your own game (which will likely involve setting up port forwarding if you use a router) or join someone else's by manually entering (no copy/paste?!) their IP, and no way to add IPs to a favorites list. The game "lobby" is just the character select screen with no player list, although you do get a notification when someone joins. And as previously mentioned, the game badly needs some sort of communication system for multiplayer.

Risk of Rain isn't listed as an early access game, so who knows if any of this will be added in later. But hey, I paid like eight bucks for it, so whatevs.

We need a Hardcore thread for this game!
Old 01-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Banned

Tried adding some TT people for Risk of Rain times. If you see me, please add me.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 PM
concern troll

I like that they have gamepad support unlike some other games (cough cough Issac), but I wish it worked better with the gamepad. I'm using a PS3 controller pretending to be a 360, and it defaults to the stick, which is fine but a bit uncomfortable and I seem to always be doing up or down ladders by accident. And I tried to change it to the control pad, but the damn thing doesn't seem to be able to handle diagonals properly, so any attempts to jump and grab a rope/ladder is fucking impossible!

Hopefully the thing is selling well enough for a decent update for these minor issues, because the base game IS really good.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:06 PM
McBear

The biggest thing it needs is Steam integration, so you can just invite a friend to it. I'm thinking about doing another stream night of it on Saturday. Can you make it then, McClain?
Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 AM
concern troll

Sorry I never showed last night. Ended up building a fire and staying on the couch.

I work Saturday, so don't wait up for me. I am might be up for some tonight before or after the regular Brickstream.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:29 AM
McBear

If Brick doesn't have a problem with it, I could totally stream some after he's done with food tonight.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Spear of Justice

I sent out some Steam invites to a few of y'all. Let's Risk some Rain already!!
Old 01-04-2014, 02:55 AM
That Pokemon Guy

I am terrible at this game.

But at least I survived 89/90 seconds once.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:47 AM
concern troll

Well I had a lot of fun last night before my freaking power went out!

So to host a game do I just need to find my IP address? Is there any other tricks to it? I have super fast cable internet but not the greatest computer, but I think it could host pretty well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
I sent out some Steam invites to a few of y'all. Let's Risk some Rain already!!
Unfortunately it doesn't have Steam integration yet, so you have to set up online with IP addresses and shit.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:45 AM
Daber.txt

Risk of Rain is fun if you are playing by yourself or if you are hosting. You can have fun while hosting but you have to live with the fact that you are making people suffer through some of the worst netcode I have ever dealt with.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't have Steam integration yet, so you have to set up online with IP addresses and shit.
Whoops, I meant friend requests, not invites.

Sorry for the bad connection Smiler! I don't care who hosts, if you want to next time.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:27 PM
concern troll

God Damn, that final level/boss are kind of ridiculous! I was loaded for a bear but couldn't do much of anything but keep running in the level, getting crazy slowdown the whole time I guess because of all the enemies on the screen, and then the final boss fight was pretty bullshit. I did fine on the first form, though it took too fucking long as I ran in circles plinking damage out of him. Then I was surprised off screen by the second form I didn't know was coming, and then the THIRD form seemed fine until he just decided he was done with me and then I was dead in like one second from multiple attacks. FUN!

And I was playing on Easy, and that shit took like 40 minutes.

I like this game, but damn does it need some tweaks. I looked at the main site and it looks like it's gotten a couple of patches already, so that's good. Hopefully it'll get another one soon, since it looks like it was roughly at the start of the month the last couple times.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 PM
concern troll

You know, when for the entire game you have a button to advance to the next level, you probably shouldn't swap that button to "Go back to the beginning but at this crazy high difficulty" on the last level! That's pretty fucking bad game design! But no, it's cool, I'd much rather go back to the first level and get my ass handed to me by three simultaneous magma worms and massive slowdown. That sound MUCH better than actually being able to finish this fucking game once ever.

I was really hoping this game would fall closer to Rouge Legacy than Binding of Issac on my rougelike rage scale. Guess fucking not!

But hey, at least getting to the last level only took 40 goddamn minutes.

I think I'm done with this thing except for multiplayer. At least if I fail miserably there I'm having fun with friends instead of wasting my time on a night off.

*TABLEFLIP!*
Old 01-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I like this game, but damn does it need some tweaks. I looked at the main site and it looks like it's gotten a couple of patches already, so that's good. Hopefully it'll get another one soon, since it looks like it was roughly at the start of the month the last couple times.
I thought this too at first, but the more I play the game and the more I learn about it, the more I'm realizing that the overall difficulty balance is probably fine as-is. I was pretty angry the first time the bullshit last boss destroyed me, but then the second time I figured out what he was doing, and then the third time I beat him and haven't lost to him since.

If they're going to tweak some stuff, I think they should use a very light touch. I don't think I've felt this invigorated by a game's learning curve since like 2006 when I started learning NetHack.

A lot of people are saying this game is a sidescrolling version of Binding of Isaac, and on some level it is, but there are two big differences that make Risk a more solid experience. One, the level generation isn't random. Regardless of where you spawn or where the portal is, if you know the layouts you can generally find a spot to control the fight by using the terrain while having an escape route in mind. And second, skill will carry you so much further in Risk than in Isaac, even if you don't find any really good items. Here's a No Items run with Acrid that makes it to the last boss and shows some really good strategy for playing that character.

Overall I'm really impressed. Once they fix the lag and netcode issues, and polish up their gamepad support a bit, I'll be a happy clam.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Overall I'm really impressed. Once they fix the lag and netcode issues, and polish up their gamepad support a bit, I'll be a happy clam.
My sentiments exactly. My other issues are all rooted in my own lack of ability to improve.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:15 AM
New Video World is out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
A lot of people are saying this game is a sidescrolling version of Binding of Isaac, and on some level it is, but there are two big differences that make Risk a more solid experience..
I made the NeoGAF thread for this game and named it "sidescrolling Binding of Isaac", and I wish I hadn't. It was a spur-of-the-moment kind of quick reference thing, when the game is only superficially similar with its random items.

I finished it for the first time yesterday. Really liked the change of style in the final stage. Last boss was crazy go nuts, but I was ridiculously OP by that point. Bandit class helped. I like Bandit class.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I finished it for the first time yesterday. Really liked the change of style in the final stage. Last boss was crazy go nuts, but I was ridiculously OP by that point. Bandit class helped. I like Bandit class.
Bandit seems pretty cool but the later levels get ultra-crazy with sheer numbers of enemies, which makes using Lights Out tricky if you're trying to finish stuff off for the cooldown reset. I suppose by the endgame you've got such an arsenal that it doesn't really matter...

My favorite class is Engie because holy shit can he pump out some damage. He feels overpowered compared to some of the other classes.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post

My favorite class is Engie because holy shit can he pump out some damage. He feels overpowered compared to some of the other classes.
Yeah the engie got my first game complete. The way you can just set up a mine trail around the portal before activating is hysterical. The most underpowered class for me is probably the miner. I just can't for the life of me figure out how I am supposed to get in so close with any class and LIVE.

Tags
indie , roguelike-like