The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 09-23-2015, 02:45 AM
Jingle Machine

Pronouns: He

Much of the plot revolves around Shang Tsung trying to find a magic amulet made by Raiden and using its power to open a path to Outworld. At the end, Raiden reveals that the amulet didn't have any power, it just made people believe in themselves. The real magic was self confidence!

Also, earlier in the book, people could throw lightning bolts when they held it so idk, man.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:21 AM
linktr.ee/stuartgipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I had a novelization of Mortal Kombat the video game, written by Jeff Rovin.

It... took some liberties.
I just bought this because of this post alone.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:20 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Much of the plot revolves around Shang Tsung trying to find a magic amulet made by Raiden and using its power to open a path to Outworld. At the end, Raiden reveals that the amulet didn't have any power, it just made people believe in themselves. The real magic was self confidence!

Also, earlier in the book, people could throw lightning bolts when they held it so idk, man.
You can't throw lightning bolts?

Get some self confidence man.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

I owned the novelisation of "A New Hope" that had George Lucas as the only name on the cover, even though it was by Alan Dean Foster.

Speaking of Foster, his version of Alien had the most over-written, purplest prose of any book I've ever attempted to read(and I've read Anne Rice). The publishers must have had a word, because when he did Aliens, it was the most straightforward adaption you could possibly imagine.

If I remember rightly, the novelisation of "E.T." was written entirely from E.T's point of view. Kind of an unusual choice.

Confusingly, there seem to be two entirely different Terminator novelisations, and one of them is by hackiest of all horror hacks Shaun Hutson(a writer so terrible he unwittingly inspired the creation of Garth Marenghi's Darkplace).

Just been skimming through the "Audiobooks for the damned" youtube channel, and apparently there were novels of The Jerk and Time Bandits! Was there anything that didn't get it's own novelisation in the eighties? There was even one of Blade Runner, and that was already a book!

Last edited by Pheeel; 10-07-2015 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheeel View Post
Just been skimming through the "Audiobooks for the damned" youtube channel, and apparently there were novels of The Jerk and Time Bandits! Was there anything that didn't get it's own novelisation in the eighties? There was even one of Blade Runner, and that was already a book!
Ah, but do you remember the fad of children's "novelizations" of books with a tape that would read along with you?
Old 10-07-2015, 02:13 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Ah, but do you remember the fad of children's "novelizations" of books with a tape that would read along with you?
TAPES!?! We rolled with 45s back in my day.

(Maybe even 33s.)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
Ohh yes, we had many of those when I was a kid. There was a time when you could get those read-along tapes of almost anything. The Transformers ones were really something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6o2f-sR1aY

"In fact, they were row-butts!"

It's surprising how difficult those tapes are to come by now, considering just how omnipresent the format used to be. I guess they were just thrown out when kids grew out of them, and the fact that most didn't come in actual boxes meant their chances of survival was even less.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Toothsome!

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
TAPES!?! We rolled with 45s back in my day.

(Maybe even 33s.)
Oh, you're right! They did come with records. I just remember having to wait for the chime to turn the page. Guess I'm not as old as I thought, ha ha.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM
クソゲーが好な人

Pronouns: He/Him

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE.

I just had to say that this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
R.L. Stine wrote a novelization of Spaceballs (you can probably guess its proper name) that I read over and over as a kid. I ought to look for it some day and see how he dealt with things like the Virgin Alarm.
Blew my mind. Kid Dracula never even considered that "Jovial Bob Stine" could be the same guy. I read that novelization over and over.

(But I don't remember much from it.)