The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Notices

Old 09-15-2017, 06:55 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Pronouns: He/Him/His
Default Fire Emblem Warriors: Hack and Smooch

So, a Famitsu article finally revealed what the Adventure Mode analogue of this game will be: History Mode, where you play on traditional Fire Emblem maps, but when you attack an enemy it does a musuo battle. Sounds fun, or at least better than the dull-looking Coliseum Mode. Hopefully History Mode is the focus for the inevitable 200 hours of DLC.

I'm excited! And currently contemplating what I can sell in order to afford both this and Mario. Hyrule Warriors is a great zen game for me and I'd love a game like that on Switch.

Oh, and here are the characters:

Original Character Do Not Steal
Rowan - Sword
Lynids - Sword

Shadow Dragon
Marth - Sword
[unconfirmed] Caeda - Spear maybe???
[unconfirmed] Tiki - Dragon

Awakening
Chrom - Sword
Boy Robin - Tome
Girl Robin - Tome
Lissa - Axe (sweet)
Frederick - Axe Horse
Cordelia - Spear Pegasus
Lucina - Sword

Fates
Boy Corrin - Sword Dragon (I think)
Girl Corrin - Sword Dragon
Ryoma - Sword
Hinoka - Spear Pegasus
Takumi - Bow
Sakura - Bow
Xander - Sword Horse
Camilla - Axe Wyvern
Leo - Tome Horse
Elise - Tome Horse

Also these probably
Lyn - Sword
[unconfirmed] Anna - Axe maybe???
Celica - Sword

25 characters, roughly half of whom have swords. Hopefully the revealed Class Change system lets you mix up the weapons a bit.

A lot of folks seem annoyed at the Awakening/Fates focus, though I haven't played Fire Emblem much beyond those games and Heroes, so I don't really know what I'm missing. I'm sure the DLC will add more of the backlog favorites. Any character with an amiibo seems like an eventual shoo-in. Personally I'm sad the OCs aren't custom Avatars.

Oh, and no marriage, but there is a Pair-up/relationship system that ties in with the Skill system.

Last edited by Sprite; 09-21-2017 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 PM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

The focus on main characters is more disappointing to me than the lack of Elibe/Tellius characters. I wanted some of the minor characters, even if they got generic movesets.

Also, it's a crime that Owain apparently isn't in it. He was born to be in Fire Emblem Warriors.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 PM
Banned

No Hector, no sale.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:32 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

I half didn't expect Lyn to make it, but I'm glad she's one of the couple of non-Shadow Dragon/Awakening/Fates characters to make it, and has increased my interest in picking this up. Otherwise I haven't paid a ton of attention to it really. Up until two days ago I was not all that intrigued. I guess I'll follow the thread to catch up.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:38 PM
so exciting!

I would assume Celica will be Tomes.

I sure hope Chrom and Lucina pick up Spears on promotion because there is a dire lack of those so far.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:42 PM
IRIS Photojournalist

Pronouns: he / his

Wow, you're right, not a single unmounted spear user confirmed so far. How weird. Hopefully one of the unconfirmed fighters picks up the slack.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Pronouns: She

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Also, it's a crime that Owain apparently isn't in it. He was born to be in Fire Emblem Warriors.
Oh my goodness you are so right. Now I'm sad.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:48 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Oh my goodness you are so right. Now I'm sad.
Look at the shine on those characters! This game is clearly not

DARK

enough.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:49 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Pronouns: He, Him

I think I'm going to wait on this. Having Lyndis in there does raise my interest in it, but most of who have been confirmed I don't care for, and I don't have any interest in spending money on DLC just to get the characters I want to play as.

Last edited by Juno; 09-16-2017 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 AM
Mystery Contraption

Pronouns: He

Genuinely surprised Tharja didn't show up for Awakening. Figured she was a given.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Genuinely surprised Tharja didn't show up for Awakening. Figured she was a given.
Probably saving her for easy DLC money.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Oh My Gouache!

Whether or not I buy this game will hinge entirely on what the local co-op is like, since that was the only reason I touched Hyrule Warriors at all.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:27 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

oh
half the cast is fates characters

well
that saves me some money, i guess
Old 09-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Boom

I would say the expectations aren't really the same for a game based on Zelda, where choosing playable warriors from the cast of most of the games would be difficult at best. Nobody would have expected them to put ERROR, Link's Uncle, or Marin in the game.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:21 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Hyrule Warriors did the same thing, in that it focused on three specific games for the initial cast. They'll inevitably branch out in DLC.

The 3 games Hyrule Warriors focused on- Ocarina, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword- were spread out over the franchise's history. The games released in 1998, 2006, and 2011 respectively. Fire Emblem Warriors is almost exclusively characters from the last 5 years. It can't help but feel like Nintendo is simply leaving "Old Fire Emblem" in the dust as if it doesn't matter anymore, and as somebody who prefers the older FE games, it feels like a slap in the face. Especially knowing that they'll come out later asking me to pay extra for DLC for those characters.

I mean, even if you didn't like those 3 Zelda games that HW initially focused on, at least it didn't feel like it was abandoning the earlier history of the franchise in favor of more recent stuff.

Furthermore, Hyrule Warriors had an inherent advantage in that the franchise's core characters- Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf- are present in almost every game in the franchise, meaning that if you like Zelda games but those 3 games weren't your favorites, or hadn't played them, you still had those 3 characters you recognize.

Last edited by Juno; 09-17-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:39 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
It can't help but feel like Nintendo is simply leaving "Old Fire Emblem" in the dust as if it doesn't matter anymore, and as somebody who prefers the older FE games, it feels like a slap in the face.
I mean, I get that, but it seems like they launched the Echoes label specifically to remake older Fire Emblem games.

...but yeah, having, like, all of the Fates Families together is too much.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:13 PM
Mistress Greywolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
I mean, I get that, but it seems like they launched the Echoes label specifically to remake older Fire Emblem games.
Well, I might have been more encouraged by that if I thought Shadows of Valentia was a better game, but a lot of the battles were boring and the dungeons were an awful slog that caused me to quit towards the end.

(I swear I'm not trying to turn this thread into me just bitching and moaning about the franchise's turn in recent years)
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno View Post
I mean, even if you didn't like those 3 Zelda games that HW initially focused on, at least it didn't feel like it was abandoning the earlier history of the franchise in favor of more recent stuff.
People made this exact complaint about Hyrule Warriors. It featured the two most recent Zelda games and an old favorite, but nothing from pre-3D days. And a quarter of the cast was original characters.

Though, yeah, even though Fire Emblem Warriors has nearly twice as many characters as vanilla Hyrule Warriors, the roster isn't as varied and wacky.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:19 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Though, yeah, even though Fire Emblem Warriors has nearly twice as many characters as vanilla Hyrule Warriors, the roster isn't as varied and wacky.
Though, to be fair, that's more on the franchise than this game.

There are perhaps three or four FE characters on the whole that could match Hyrule Warriors' roster in terms of being Weird Like That. Two of them are in this game.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:21 PM
Balam, It's Showtime!

Yeah, for all its modern perversion, and, you know, all the bloodshed, Fire Emblem has a tendency towards characters that are Just, but Good; Kind, but Cheerful.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
I would say the expectations aren't really the same for a game based on Zelda, where choosing playable warriors from the cast of most of the games would be difficult at best. Nobody would have expected them to put ERROR, Link's Uncle, or Marin in the game.
Also Zelda has a much more diverse pool of characters, with the likes of Ruto and Midna and Zant offering all kinds of crazy fighting styles and Link being like half a dozen different Musou fighters on his own. With Fire Emblem I'm just hoping they do some cool stuff with the mages and mounted units.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:32 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
To be fair, Marin is in the game. As DLC, mind, but still.

So, I guess what I'm saying is to expect Dorkus, if you get a season pass.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:27 PM
Boom

Echoes probably hewed a little too close to the original in places, but, like, damn. The actual presentation was A+. I hope they do more remakes like that. It makes the Archanea remakes look like shit. Which, to be fair, isn't saying much.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:32 PM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Also, Dragon Quest Heroes took characters from every game in the series. This game focusing almost exclusively on new entries is definitely significant for a Musou game. But not so much for a Fire Emblem game, I suppose. I haven't touched anything since Awakening so this is a pretty hard pass for me.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Boom

The original DQ Heroes didn't have anyone from 1, 2, 3, 7, or 9, actually. And it was a little lopsided in favor of 4. The distribution was still better than this game, though, and the series-spanning monster cast was a lot more inspired than the generic soldiers we're seeing here, heh.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:46 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
The original DQ Heroes didn't have anyone from 1, 2, 3, 7, or 9, actually. And it was a little lopsided in favor of 4. The distribution was still better than this game, though, and the series-spanning monster cast was a lot more inspired than the generic soldiers we're seeing here, heh.
DQ1: The silent protagonist is the only party member and the only other notable non-villain character who isn't dead or on game-saving duty is the princess, who unfortunately only serves as a MacGuffin that needs to be carried home 'cuz Knight Save Princess/Slay Dragon status quo.

DQ2: Less excusable, though Prince Cannock and Princess Moonbrooke not having much in the way of personality probably had something to do with it.

DQ3: The hero is silent, the party is wholly custom made. That said, they still could've used the classes as bases for Original the Characters or something. At least DQ Heroes has Zoma and Erdrick's Aliahan duds.

DQ7: Yeah, it's a shame nobody from this game got in.

DQ9: Everyone who's not unlocked via a postgame quest is a mute paper doll, but it's a shame we didn't get any of them...or some of the unique village NPCs. At least Ruida Patty is at the character swapping place.

But anyway, if there's ever a Dragon Quest Heroes 3 it'd be nice to have a custom protagonist. Playing dress up was the best thing about Dragon Quest IX.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:32 AM

Celica confirmed, but no Alm.

Which I'm cool with, since Celica was way more interesting, both mechanically and storyline wise, than Alm.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:14 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Oh, they gave her a sword. Okay.

So that's eleven Swords, three spears, three axes, two bows, four tomes, whatever Anna ends up using, and one dragon (though maybe the Corrins do double duty here?). I really hope you can Class Change characters to different weapons.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

Eh; Hyrule Warriors didn't reveal the full contents of their Season Pass before release; can't imagine this will either.

And speaking personally; not much investment in pre-Awakening FEs. Which I suspect is the case with a lot of this games target demographic. Hardly ideal, but I understand the rationale.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:23 AM
Metaphysical organ dealer

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
And speaking personally; not much investment in pre-Awakening FEs.
Ditto. I'm excited as heck for this game, but it's been a real buzzkill to see the reactions here even if I understand but don't share them.

Tags
do not pursue jeigan , fire emblem , nintendo switch