The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-13-2016, 01:23 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Maybe I've just read the story wrong (likely to be true!), I think that "a deus ex machina somehow makes the villain never exist in the first place" is pretty lazy.
A lot of the story of homestuck is a wheel, or closed time loops, if you prefer. The object that gave Caliborn his power was also his greatest weakness. And Colide had plenty of EPIC FINAL BATTLE. Eliminating Lord English was more the denouement than the climax.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:29 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Oh, Okay, so I guess Aradia being on the black hole side of the things totally makes sense. I guess it only sorta bummed me out because I still love the moment when she smiles and says she's alive and intends to stay that way.

That was exactly my reading of that moment.

I'm being a huge dork and wore my old Dave broken record baseball tee and red chucks to work.
Aradia is awesome and she's only dead if the black hole kills her (because killing things makes them die). Canonically, Gamzee has to live through a black hole; I don't see why Vriska and Aradia can't.

Alternately: John touching the door transports all the players, maybe? The key seems to be the touch rather than the opening.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:40 PM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Alternately: John touching the door transports all the players, maybe? The key seems to be the touch rather than the opening.
Theory: This is a creation myth, right? So what does that final image most resemble? A cosmic level version of when you touch a door nob and you get shocked. John's touch is providing the "spark of life" for the new universe
Old 04-13-2016, 02:13 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Theory: This is a creation myth, right? So what does that final image most resemble? A cosmic level version of when you touch a door nob and you get shocked. John's touch is providing the "spark of life" for the new universe
It does look rather a lot like a kernelsprite in the knob. And in the sequence afterward.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:47 AM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

So I got internet again and could watch this. Golly, that was pretty, but somehow it doesn't feel over.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:15 PM
bad at lurking

I was looking at the print versions of Homestuck I have on my shelf, and I was wondering, how the holy hell is he going to cram the rest of this story into print? How many pages is that shit going to take? How long is it going to to take to publish all that? And how will he handle some of the crazier stuff he did that's more-or-less dependent on the web-based interface, i.e., the retcon pages?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Well, first, you print'em the normal way, then when the retcon comes up, you copy and paste them to make it easier to print them the second time?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Indecisive Epicure

Also, you include stickers to paste into your old books to "update" their pages to match the new chronology.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:06 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Legacy paperbacks.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:24 PM
bad at lurking

actually, now that I think about it, IIRC the third book did included the retcon pages with John's hand, since it was published after that whole thing happened. And honestly, it won't be that hard to do the whole retcon timeline bit with just reusing the pages with the new password prompts, much like how those of use reading it live would have seen it. It's only going to be someone coming to the story late who sees the "=> ???????" prompts the first time through with no idea what they are for (unless they look it up, of course).

Reading homestuck after the fact is going to be weirdly different than it was reading it live.

Looking at some raw numbers ...

Act 1 was 247 pages and was printed in 162 pages
Act 2 was 511 pages and was printed in 280 pages
Act 3 was 395 pages and was printed in 262 pages

Meanwhile, Act 5 was a combined 2,119 pages (Part I 636 and part II 1,483) and Act 6 was a whopping 4,010!. Including intermissions, there's nearly 7000 of 8,150 total pages left to print. And that's not even accounting for the much more complicated animations in the later acts that function as one "page" on the web.

Even if he condenses the print to 2:1 pages, which is more than he has done so far, that's 3,500+ printed pages, which will probably come out in ... I don't even know how many volumes! Maybe 9 or 10, if he makes the Midnight Crew stand alone, does 5 in two parts, and then has Act 6 be six sub-act books. That would follow the structure of the original story but still have some really unven book lengths.

TL;DR: my bookshelf and wallet will both be groaning by the time this series is finished.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:15 AM
Born in the USA

I still don't understand why you would want such an animation-heavy story in print.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:34 AM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I still don't understand why you would want such an animation-heavy story in print.
Animation is like 1/1000 of the total pages in the story. I shudder to think how many actual words are in it.

Also the print books are pretty nicely done, with footnotes by hussie on every page.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 07:33 AM
Born in the USA

It seems like most of the static pages still have an animated element, even if it's just a rapid lighting shift or character twitch, which you'd be losing. But if they're nice volumes with extra stuff I guess that's cool.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:08 AM
bad at lurking

You lose some and you gain some. They are pretty supplemental.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2016, 08:17 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

I'm pretty sure some of those flashes would require an entire book to cover all the crazy single-frame stuff that happens in em.

Sent from my work computer using the internet.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:24 PM
bad at lurking

Homestuck 2.0 ?!?!?!?!?!

"does this fill with excitement? With dread?"

Yes, Rufio. Yes it does.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:53 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
Homestuck 2.0 ?!?!?!?!?!

[YOOTOOB]HOMSUCKS TOO POINT OH[/UTUUEB]
THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE VINDICATED BY HISTORY!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Quote:
COME BACK IN THREE MONTHS TO SEE HOMESTUCK NOT END ONCE AGAIN!

(HOMESTUCK WILL NEVER END)
IT CAN'T END.

IT DOESN'T KNOW HOW.
YALL MOTHER FUCKERS KNEW I WAS RIGHT
Old 05-16-2016, 10:39 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE VINDICATED BY HISTORY!

YALL MOTHER FUCKERS KNEW I WAS RIGHT
I can't bring myself to watch that out of sheer embarrassment, just as I cannot stomach the sound of the word "Homestuck" spoken aloud in anything but a whisper.

But I assume that video is basically "fans will make shit and the creator will be dimly aware of it" and by that metric nothing ever ends.

Perhaps that is also the secret origin of BEAT's longevity. Somewhere, in the dim void of space, a wizened figure draws a skull on the wall of his survival pod. In the vastness of the internet, a voice echoes "FUCK WIZARDS."
Old 05-16-2016, 11:10 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
Perhaps that is also the secret origin of BEAT's longevity. Somewhere, in the dim void of space, a wizened figure draws a skull on the wall of his survival pod. In the vastness of the internet, a voice echoes "FUCK WIZARDS."
YOU KNOW TOO MUCH.

EDIT: Actually trying to watch it now, after repeatedly instinctively closing the tab after the guy's very first sentence.

The way he says "and I'm a homestuck". Just.

The only thing that could save the video at that moment is if the camera then panned out to show him sitting in a circle of folded chairs with various other people, who all responded in a monotone "hi Dante", before allowing him to continue that he's now 6 weeks clean.

RE:EDIT: It's basically just them saying "We got more stuff planned, but we're also accepting fan stuff in a (sorta) official capacity", so basically exactly what you said Kylie. I'm not sure if I think the whole "let's get fans to keep our business running with fan works" is shady or not.

And now that I've written that none of you have to watch the video because it is abysmal.

Last edited by BEAT; 05-16-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:55 PM
bad at lurking

The way Rufio stumbled into the fandom and started calling himself "a homestuck" would be like if my mom started playing video games and called herself "a Nintendo."
Old 05-16-2016, 01:00 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
The way Rufio stumbled into the fandom and started calling himself "a homestuck" would be like if my mom kissed Shigeru Miyamoto in Mario 2 and called herself "a Nintendo."
for reference, "a homestuck" is pretty common tumblr terminology. But it's still awkward b/c of probable age gap.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:23 PM
SEARING RED GAZE

Quote:
The way Rufio stumbled into the fandom and started calling himself "a homestuck" would be like if my mom started playing video games and called herself "a Nintendo."
When your mom discovered Nintendo, you rolled your eyes.

When Rufio discovered Homestuck, a tidal wave of internets swept him off his feet, then gently placed him on the center stage, before the idol they had crafted in his image.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:42 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
And now that I've written that none of you have to watch the video because it is abysmal.
BEAT watched a Homestuck video. He watched it for your sins.

Truly, BEAT is the hellskeleton we deserve.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:23 AM
Feeling fluid.

New album's out: Homestuck Vol. 10
Old 06-13-2016, 08:29 AM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by locit View Post
New album's out: Homestuck Vol. 10
you gotta link the rad commercial

Were any of these tracks used in Homestuck, or are they all remixes and originals?
Old 10-12-2016, 09:46 AM
bad at lurking

So no one's going to post the new game trailer? I'm disappointed in you nerds.

(I miss nich )
Old 10-12-2016, 10:01 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

I was GONNA but I didn't wanna be a parody of myself.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:29 AM
bad at lurking

Quote:
I was GONNA but I didn't wanna be a parody of myself.
But I was sick and almost missed it! Some of us need reliably fanatical fans.

Anyhow, I think the trailer looks really good. I'm LOVING this art style. I was never 100% on board for the 3D, at least as it was presented early on. This looks like a Homestuck game. The backgrounds a deliciously dense, though I hope the hot-spots are obvious enough to make the actual adventure gaming not become a silly pixel hunt.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 PM
Bob

.........hm! I might actually get this, I really love this artstyle.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:11 PM
>TRANCE

Pronouns: xe/xir & they/them

So apparently the homestuck snapchat account has been snippedy-snapping some "post-canon content"?

This is someone's fan site where they're collecting them - but it seems to be an official thing, not a fan work.

This probably isn't "the epilogue", it's something else!

(Incidentally, one of the big differences between The Ending Of Homestuck and all the other flashes is that the other ones tended to have explanations in the comic, explanations in Hussie's social media, or visible aftereffects in the comic that helped to explain what happened implicitly. So I'm happy that we're finally maybe getting something like that!)

(Also I'm excited for Hivebent! Yee!)

Edit: Oh, also! These snapchats are starting on the day just before a conspicuously relevant day - 10/25 is the day corresponding to the sum of the numbers associated with the kids and the trolls (413 and 612), and Alterniabound, Cascade, and GAME OVER all came out on 10/25s.

Tags
andrew hussie , deudly firearms , doujinshi man gaka , fish puns , homestuck , horses , let me tell you , mspa , phernalia registry , problem sloth , problem sluth , webcomics , where doing it man , where making this hapen