The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 AM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
It is my understanding that Act 7 will consist of exactly 2 html pages.
It would seem fitting for the resolution to be a "walk around and talk to everyone" situation like Earthbound/Undertale
Old 04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
bad at lurking

.... okay, yeah, the last few pages totally feel like a JRPG false ending. Any minute now Kefka is going to show up and create tons of magicite.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:11 PM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
.... okay, yeah, the last few pages totally feel like a JRPG false ending. Any minute now Kefka is going to show up and create tons of magicite.
Yeah, I was being all pumped about that last set of happy pages and was subsequently reminded that the LAST time this happened, things did not go well.
Old 04-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

No, no they didn't.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Feeling fluid.

Brace for it... brace for iiiiiit...
Old 04-12-2016, 01:29 PM
bad at lurking

Obvious Lord of the Rings reference is obvious.

So is OG Jack going to go all Sméagol trying to get his ring back?
Old 04-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him

I think over the last five years everyone forgot that PM is and always was the biggest badass in Homestuck.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 PM
of the Black Falcons

Pronouns: he, him

Hey, it's over. That was a real nice ending.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:43 PM
earthquake ace

Pronouns: Any

so uh

what happened
Old 04-12-2016, 09:55 PM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
so uh

what happened
They won. They created a new universe, LE was destroyed (?) by opening he juju, which I gather closed a timeloop he created to become LE ... somehow? Meanwhile, the green sun was pulled into a black hole, which I guess neutralized it's powers. Though Jade is still a dog ...

I'm pretty satisfied. I'm glad it's over. HS grew into a bit of a sprawling mess, and I think it would be impossible to wrap up every character/plot point completely. And I think that's part of the point. These are, after all, teenage kids still, and sometimes the interpersonal stuff is just messy and stays unresolved.

I'm good with it. I'm ready for what's next, which I gather is mostly the game, though I wouldn't be surprised if he has a comic concept he's been sitting on for years waiting for HS to wrap.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:04 PM
earthquake ace

yeah, the ellipses and question marks in that spoiler are getting at what i was asking about

things just kinda...happened, and none of it made sense, beyond what the kids themselves were doing i.e., opening the door
Old 04-12-2016, 10:06 PM
bad at lurking

Okay, so ... I have to be honest, I kind of blacked out during the claymation bits a while back, so I have no idea how it fits into the cannon, but here's what the wiki says about Juju

Vriska has explained that the juju was obtained by Caliborn from Yaldabaoth upon completing his session. It was said to only have the ability to be used twice, once as a weapon by Caliborn, resulting in him altering its nature such that for the second time it could be used only as a weapon against him. Caliborn used it when the eight god tier kids confronted him, trapping the four B1 kids inside forever, rendering the juju intangible. It was then hidden in the Furthest Ring with the aid of the Ring of Void so that it could not be used against him.

Vriska believes that the second use of the treasure is yet to be utilized, and alludes to the fact that it may be in releasing the souls of some incredi8ly powerful warriors of legend who came close to 8eating him once, so he trapped them inside the charm and 8anished it into the void. These would undoubtedly be the four B1 kids who were trapped inside the juju in the aforementioned battle, with the true power of the treasure being to release them so that they might finish the jo8 of killing English.

so, when the red logo flips to the white one, matching the Juju's appearance, it is "releasing" all the kids, so I guess it's bringing them directly to LE?

I don't really know what to think.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Bob

Not that I've been actively understanding the story considering I started reading this when I was in high school, but here's something:

Maybe there's a little more?

But yeah that seems a bit anticlimactic overall. I'm just glad Hussie could get this large pony off his back so he can focus on some other creative projects! Huzzah for a completed Homestuck.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:40 PM

Poking around, I'm pretty sure the last time I could honestly say I cared was uh... Act 6 Act 3? Whenever it was the Alpha Kids were introduced and promptly ran through a reprise of the fun stuff in efficient fashion without much dragging things out?

Then came a long long stretch of filler and meandering plot arcs that ultimately failed to go anywhere, so really by the end the only thing to still care about is if things work out OK for the mayor.

And they do, so I guess I'm satisfied? Also hey, nice quality animation here.

But there did seem to be a distinct lack of any sort of climax of any kind, or actual resolution to the story, or even to those subplots currently running in the story.

Not with a bang but with a "@#$% it." Although again, a very nicely animated "@#$% it."

And I can totally get wanting to just get this crazy convoluted mess over with and start something else. Especially when it's clear how much time was spent stalling while waiting for this animation to finish.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:55 PM
earthquake ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Not that I've been actively understanding the story considering I started reading this when I was in high school, but here's something:

Maybe there's a little more?

But yeah that seems a bit anticlimactic overall. I'm just glad Hussie could get this large pony off his back so he can focus on some other creative projects! Huzzah for a completed Homestuck.
Well, if there is an Epilogue, it will probably be in ~2 months, because dates are important.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:08 AM
Penalty for being bard

Pronouns: He/Him

Very nicely animated but was there a conclusion in there?

Did they keep Gamzee locked in that refrigerator forever? Anyone else think that's kind of dark?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:46 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitayre View Post
Very nicely animated but was there a conclusion in there?

Did they keep Gamzee locked in that refrigerator forever? Anyone else think that's kind of dark?
Don't be silly.

The refrigerator was on LoTaK when the planet turned into a black hole.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:48 AM
SEARING RED GAZE

Pronouns: DUDE/BRO

A Black Hole? That's kinda Dark!

*WIGGLES EYEBROWS AND ARTFULLY DODGES GIANT HOOKED CANE FROM THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE STAGE*
Old 04-13-2016, 06:09 AM
>TRANCE

Pronouns: xe/xir & they/them

Quote:
Don't be silly.

The refrigerator was on LoTaK when the planet turned into a black hole.
As was the crowbar, the golden cuestaff, and a large enough chunk of the planet that Yaldabaoth has to be in there too - all of which turned up in Caliborn's session.

That was... way more abrupt and less resolution-y than I was expecting. But a lovely animation!

There are some suggestions (blog post, Problem Sleuth) that there might be an additional epilogue coming... at some point.

I've been signed up to do a Homestuck Symposium type thing some time later this year and it looks like I've got my work cut out for me to sort things out!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:15 AM
Feeling fluid.

Hm, yeah, that really did it for me. I'm guessing there will be an epilogue down the line but I'm honestly pretty satisfied with how everything played out in the end.

Homestuck was always an exercise in pushing Hussie's creative boundaries, and an actual, fully animated sequence was pretty much the only new ground left to break after seven years of escalating storytelling innovation. I feel like the "@#$% it" moment really came at the end of act 6, not this. This felt like it came out exactly as intended.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:50 AM
>TRANCE

I have a general sense of this ending not quite fitting. There are some things where we've been given plenty of information and insinuation and we can draw our own conclusions (What's up with white cueballs?) and some really nice character beats (Dirk letting someone else cut off his head for a change), but I feel like there are some important plot-event questions that we don't quite have enough information to figure out (What's going on in the dream bubbles?) and some emotional / character beats that don't really feel right (Was the new Vriska right about everything? Did Karkat end the story thinking of himself as a failed general? Do any of our universe-creators ever figure out what happened to Lord English?).

But that's just a first impression. I probably need to reread the whole thing to figure out how I really feel about it.

E: Oh but Kanaya / Rose made it to the end, thank goodness!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:52 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcoon View Post
As was the crowbar, the golden cuestaff, and a large enough chunk of the planet that Yaldabaoth has to be in there too - all of which turned up in Caliborn's session.
Caliborn's session was separate from the kids' sessions, so his session had its own Yogurtboner. I assume that Yanderebooger, the crowbar, and the cuestaff all originated in his session, and the staff and crowbar were brought back with him and his minions, respectively.

Quote:
I have a general sense of this ending not quite fitting. There are some things where we've been given plenty of information and insinuation and we can draw our own conclusions (What's up with white cueballs?) and some really nice character beats (Dirk letting someone else cut off his head for a change), but I feel like there are some important plot-event questions that we don't quite have enough information to figure out (What's going on in the dream bubbles?) and some emotional / character beats that don't really feel right (Was the new Vriska right about everything? Did Karkat end the story thinking of himself as a failed general? Do any of our universe-creators ever figure out what happened to Lord English?).
Vriska was not right about everything but was probably right about some things. She's an awful bitch but she isn't necessarily wrong, and when she wins she wins by cheating. Which seems like what she did here - she opened a box, and my assumption is that the cursor sucked LE in, just like it did for the kids. (Vriska) got her reward, which was peace and growth and a reunion with someone incredibly special to her. Who knows what alpha Vriska got.

Really I think Hussie meant for the ending to leave territory open to be populated by fans. So hey, your high school AU where Vriska gets sucked onto Earth and becomes prom queen or w/e? It can be canon, now.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:13 AM
>TRANCE

Quote:
Caliborn's session was separate from the kids' sessions, so his session had its own Yogurtboner. I assume that Yanderebooger, the crowbar, and the cuestaff all originated in his session, and the staff and crowbar were brought back with him and his minions, respectively.
Yeah, I agree that Yiggypop and Gamzee's presence there don't necessarily require any more explanation, but we've seen black hole transit to that session before, and jujus seem to have the sort of weird timeline where this'd make sense for them (plus, I think it makes Gamzee's timeline more coherent).

Quote:
Vriska was not right about everything but was probably right about some things. She's an awful bitch but she isn't necessarily wrong, and when she wins she wins by cheating. Which seems like what she did here - she opened a box, and my assumption is that the cursor sucked LE in, just like it did for the kids. (Vriska) got her reward, which was peace and growth and a reunion with someone incredibly special to her. Who knows what alpha Vriska got.

Really I think Hussie meant for the ending to leave territory open to be populated by fans. So hey, your high school AU where Vriska gets sucked onto Earth and becomes prom queen or w/e? It can be canon, now.
She wins by cheating, but also she loses by cheating, and in particular she loses by sidelining her friends and allies to go take on the villain alone in a fit of hubris.

Watching the act, I thought the kids or some force powered by their souls was emerging from the cursor, but I've also seen the theory that he was trapped in it just before Alt Calliope destroyed paradox space, leaving him Perfectly Safe inside it forever in the middle of nothing (though, does that mean he's trapped with the four kids, or that those versions of them were released / killed? it also implies that paradox space, which I'd been thinking of as the multiverse proper, is a bubble containing a subset of universes (possibly just the four pre/post scratch kid/troll universes) that's cut off from the newly created universe (in which Caliborn is hatched?)).

Ultimately I'm not sure about any of that yet... but I feel like Huss's put a great deal of careful thought and planning into this, and that anything that seems like it's unresolved but important to the story (leaving aside stuff that can be left open-ended, like Vriska de-pantsing Homestar at the prom) is quite possibly 1) going to be resolved in this upcoming epilogue, or 2) has already been implicitly resolved, but requires more careful reading to figure out.

About, oh, five and a half years ago, Hussie said something interesting on that subject:

Quote:
The thing is, Homestuck is both a story and a puzzle, by design and by definition. If asked to define it, “a story that’s also a puzzle” is as close to true as any answer I’d give.

Should all entertainment be like that? No way. But something should be like that, because something like that should exist. That’s why puzzles exist, because puzzles are cool sometimes, and are challenging. We don’t go up to a jigsaw puzzle and go, “why the fuck is this in so many different PIECES, what kind of IDIOT would break this nice picture into TINY LITTLE BITS?!!” Nor do we want all of our nice pictures broken into bits like that. Some we just want to hang on walls and look at.

But unlike a jigsaw puzzle, there’s much to enjoy without having to solve it. Fun characters and silly moments. But if you turn your brain on, you can engage with the complexity and depth. If you turn it ALL the way on, you can get everything, and solve the puzzle. There is a range of ways to interface with it, from the casual to the maniacal. Failing to grasp everything shouldn’t preclude basic enjoyment, nor is it a symptom of failure by either the reader or the story.
So I'm going to have to percolate on this one for a while.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:31 AM
the :motion: stands

Pronouns: He / Him

Karkat's shrug was the best part of this whole thing. No complaints.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Karkat's shrug was the best part of this whole thing. No complaints.
Truth.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM
bad at lurking

I think the character I'm the most bummed to not have resolution about is, strangely, Aradia. Where the hell did she end up?

Vriska gonna Vriska, so whether she got a "reward" or goes out in a blaze of glory, it fits her either way.

I'm also curious what happens to MS Paint and OG Jack Noir.

Keep in mind, too, that there's still a multi-million dollar funded game coming out that may resolve (or more likely, further complicate) matters!

If I had to be critical of the finale, it would be that it was a whole lot of psychedelic tadpole screen time that could have been spent on the characters we've spent years investing in.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Pronouns: He/Him/His

It's a creation story, ala Genesis. They show you the highlights, not the "Go forth, and prosper"-ing bits in between.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:46 AM
PerpetuallyFrowningBitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I think the character I'm the most bummed to not have resolution about is, strangely, Aradia. Where the hell did she end up?

Vriska gonna Vriska, so whether she got a "reward" or goes out in a blaze of glory, it fits her either way.

I'm also curious what happens to MS Paint and OG Jack Noir.

Keep in mind, too, that there's still a multi-million dollar funded game coming out that may resolve (or more likely, further complicate) matters!

If I had to be critical of the finale, it would be that it was a whole lot of psychedelic tadpole screen time that could have been spent on the characters we've spent years investing in.
Aradia is about endings, not beginnings. She is a proper psychopomp ushering people through death, and she is an apocalypse buff who wants to see what it all looks like when it breaks apart. She got exactly what she wanted out of this.

The ending pretty much mirrors the ending of most video games; it doesn't address characters so much as it addresses the game itself. The purpose of the game was to build a new universe. The universe is created, and the game thanks you for playing. It isn't about closing arcs, since we see the story through the medium of SBURB, and the only arc that matters to SBURB is SBURB's. FF6 doesn't care if you missed a sidequest or you hacked the system; it's not a value judgment.

Alternate ending possibility: Lord English gets de-powered, eyes become 8-ball symbols. Cursor turns white, traps LE in place. LE gets sucked into the black hole that Calliope creates, thus pocketing the 8-ball and ending the game?

Last edited by Kylie; 04-13-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Kylie has too many thoughts about homestuck and soon they will all be over
Old 04-13-2016, 12:55 PM
bad at lurking

Oh, Okay, so I guess Aradia being on the black hole side of the things totally makes sense. I guess it only sorta bummed me out because I still love the moment when she smiles and says she's alive and intends to stay that way.

Quote:
[SPOILER]Alternate ending possibility: Lord English gets de-powered, eyes become 8-ball symbols. Cursor turns white, traps LE in place. LE gets sucked into the black hole that Calliope creates, thus pocketing the 8-ball and ending the game?
That was exactly my reading of that moment.

I'm being a huge dork and wore my old Dave broken record baseball tee and red chucks to work.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
I feel like Huss's put a great deal of careful thought and planning into this
Maybe I've just read the story wrong (likely to be true!), I think that "a deus ex machina somehow makes the villain never exist in the first place" is pretty lazy.

Tags
andrew hussie , deudly firearms , doujinshi man gaka , fish puns , homestuck , horses , let me tell you , mspa , phernalia registry , problem sloth , problem sluth , webcomics , where doing it man , where making this hapen