The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 09-16-2016, 08:54 AM
Objection!

Pronouns: She/Her

Man, Case 4 has some things to say about Nahyuta, that's for sure. Things like not noticing (or caring, really) that one of his witnesses says this looks a lot like a TV murder drama or he's so dedicated to convicting whatever ham sandwich is put before him that he'll ignore the obviously tampered with dying message (I mean, come on. Even if I hadn't already seen it in the regular crime scene photo, the whole case is presented with the air of an episode of Case Closed) or that he's really the perfect personification of the franchise's legal system of "You'd better prove someone else did it, because it doesn't matter if you completely prove that your client couldn't have."

That said, Blackquill for the defense is an amazing turn and I'm loving it.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:57 AM
Bob

Phoenix even says sometime this game about how the legal system back home has "innocent until proven guilty" and I'm just like LOOOOOOOOOOOOL right

Also did anyone else notice that in the first case when Phoenix says he doesn't like metal music the response is "what's your poison? Orchestra, or jazz soul?" which just haaaaaaaaaappens to be the two names of the Phoenix Wright remix albums (Gyakuten Meets Orchestra/Jazz Soul)? I mean this writing/localization everyone give them a hand
Old 09-16-2016, 12:22 PM
McBear

I saw that one too Umby. I laaaaaaaaughed.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:31 PM
Objection!

Alright, case 4 down, and I really liked how it was a long-running court battle, with you making use of everything you picked up along the way. No investigations. Just making use of every trick you and Athena know to piece the story together. That said, this case was also ABSOLUTELY a Case Closed story, right down to the murder being because of a misunderstanding between a caring person and a recipient who didn't understand the intent. Which is one of the types that hit me the hardest, continuing the theme of AA6 being really well written, but also incredibly hard on me.

Also Uendo is adorable. And I love the Athena and Blackquill dynamic.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Oh No!

Oh man Day 1 of Case 5 is a hell of a thing. Lots of nostalgia, a blast from the past on the other bench, and an investigation assistant who isn't a teenage girl for once.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:30 AM
Love and Peace

Case 3: Did channeling always call people back from the exact moment of their deaths every time, or was that a retcon? I feel like pretty much everything done with channeling in the Wright Saga would have been difficult, and perhaps impossible, if the channel-ees kept having to be reminded that they were dead. (I guess maybe Mia's own spiritual power made her more on the ball than others, if that's where we're going with this?)

And forget the knife sticking out of the guy's back for an entire day: I want to know why no one checked out Ze'lot's peach tattoo against the Monk Tattoo Database until some foreigner spoke up and said "this story doesn't add up."

Case 4: "This is it, Cykes-dono. This is your chance to prove that your solo cases aren't massive train wrecks that disquiet and offend everybody around you."
"I would like to call 'Everything I Learned About DID I Learned From Tumblr' to the stand."
"...Oh for fuck's sake."

Case 5: I love how the only possible reason they didn't ask Maya to do Jove's seance was so that he couldn't go "Oh my god! Are Apollo and Dhurke and Amara and Thalassa okay?!" in front of Apollo, thereby cooking Phoenix's goose. (And imagine how disappointed your future self will one day be if you had never played AA4 and thought that Phoenix was talking to someone interesting after the credits, like Revolver Ocelot.)

On a less inane note, I do genuinely enjoy how Maya had a couple of opportunities this time around to use her channeling to be active, helpful, and instrumental to the success of the cases. She still spent a good deal of the game kidnapped or jailed, but at least we're taking baby steps.

And I feel kind of bad for Inga and how pretty much everyone forgot that he actually loved Rayfa once it was time for DOUBLE QUEEN DRAMA TIME. In fact, it made me think that the sordid backstory was going to end up being that Amara and Inga fucked around, produced Rayfa, emotionally devastated Dhurke, and drove Ga'ran absolutely ballistic. Which would have handily explained Ga'ran's motive, Amara's shame, Dhurke's guilt (as well as the reason bystanders would believe him capable of his wife's murder), and Inga's hatred of the whole system he helped to create (except for Rayfa.)

Buuuuut I guess that whole "sins of the father" thing would have made for a really awkward regime transfer if Rayfa was related by blood to A Bad Character. (Never mind that both she and Prosecutor Sad Monk, by their own admission, sent lots and lots of innocent people to their deaths, which I think stains their blood just fine on its own.)

And seriously, getting a technical demotion from Main Character is the best thing that could possibly have happened to Apollo as a character. Even though it does allow the Wright Anything Agency to fall back on the "capable boss and doofus subordinate" routine for the inevitable AA7. (I propose the title "Apollo Justice 2: One Bad Mama.")

Aside from that thing that happened in that case, I rather liked AA5. But after a slow start, AA6 eventually got there and its final case was much better. These games are getting a little long in the tooth (god, how they reach for those puns) but at the end of the day I still stayed up until 3 am one night trying to figure out those stupid Insights, so I can't say I don't still find them engaging.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Objection!

(Case 5) Um, actually...
Old 09-17-2016, 10:26 PM
oh my car

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
Ah man, I can't wait to see your reaction when you get to the end of case 3.
I got penalized for naming Mrs. Inmee too soon. Phoenix is going to be assassinated by the Secret Police.

A good case.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:45 PM
Oh No!

One cute nod to Apollo Justice I laughed at happens during Case 5 when Apollo and Athena find Inga's "grape juice" and question whether that and the "grape juice" Nick used to drink was really fresh grape juice, or a more fermented variety.
Old 09-18-2016, 02:47 PM
McBear

I'm stuck in Case 3, Day 2's investigation phase. The notes page says I need to investigate the second murder, but I've kinda hit a wall. I've inspected everything at that crime scene. It looks like I should be talking with the priest's wife, but I can't get her to talk about anything except the first topic, which is the second murder victim. I think I've presented every piece of evidence to her in my inventory, but I'm not getting any reaction out of her.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:16 PM
Bob

I think you need to inspect a new photo that's shown up on the right side of the screen?
Old 09-18-2016, 03:21 PM
McBear

Yep, found it. thanks.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:53 PM
Objection!

Boy, Case 5 is both great, and something else, so far.

It being a civil case between Apollo and Phoenix is rad enough, and then it turned into a murder investigation. Then you get: <Phoenix> The uh, plaintiff must object to this! <Apollo> The plaintiff will stand down and be quiet! Also the game continues having adorable secondary characters, with Armie Buff.

But what's really getting me, and it seems... on one hand, like there wasn't enough time for this to get put in intentionally, but on the other so striking to me, is like, Paul Atishon comes across REALLY STRONGLY like Young Trump, and then right after you suggest how the murder occurred, you get thrown a "Don't accuse him of murder, because he's a promising rich white boy with a future in politics" and just MAN. Wow. I don't know if they're TRYING for some serious commentary here or if it's just a coincidence, but it comes across strongly to me, at least.

Maybe current events are just really in the forefront of my mind.
Old 09-18-2016, 05:12 PM
McBear

I have to walk away from this game. I got to the Seance part of Case 3 Trial 2.

I blinded her with goddamned science.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:22 PM

So I thought I was just imagining the shipping in case 2. But I just started case 5 and is...is Turnabout Taboo (by hiimdaisy) about to happen?
Old 09-22-2016, 06:08 PM
Objection!

I've got to be close to the end of the main trial in case 5 and, just, wow. Holy shit.

I mean, we started off with <Ga'ran> I have already banned Plumed Punisher. Their representation of Rayfa is nothing like the real thing, so I don't want the citizens to be disappointed. <Rayfa> Why are you so mean?! Once I am all grown up, I shall be just as full-figured as that actress! <Judge> ... I think you're just fine as you are. And then I concluded that SPOILERSSPOILERSSPOILERSI was actually defending a dead person. Now I'm turning the case around by showing that all that work to make Amara the killer is actually Ga'ran, which makes a whole lot more sense.

I hope I also get around to showing that Dhurke wasn't the assassin, making the core of this case once again one about sad (fatal) misunderstandings.

Man.

Also, Cloud of Darkness being the prosecutor for the last trial is pretty amazing.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:29 AM
Objection!

Yep, and finished. The back end of the trial after my last post was just incredible, and really painted Ga'ran as an incredible threat. I do wish they did a little more, mechanically, with her ability to change laws on the fly, though, to reinforce it.

The game also did a good job on swerving me when I had previously thought that Rayfa was actually Dhurke's daughter.

And man. Just like the end of AA5, the end of AA6 makes me really want a, like. Just a wrapper game for unconnected or lightly-connected downloadable cases to tell smaller, more personal stories about everyone.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:30 AM
Bob

You'll get your wish September 29th! Sorta!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 PM
King Of Space-Time

Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Banned

Case 4 spoilers;

I don't know how much of a weeb you think I am, game, but I don't know what the taint chafing fuck udon noodles are
Old 09-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Case 4 spoilers;

I don't know how much of a weeb you think I am, game, but I don't know what the taint chafing fuck udon noodles are
Game doesn't really expect you to, save that they aren't soba noodles, the game has just spent a few hours drilling into your head that soba = buckwheat.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Banned

Am I supposed to have already known that udon isn't also made from buckwheat?
Old 09-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Oh No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Am I supposed to have already known that udon isn't also made from buckwheat?
It'd help, but really the game gives you three choices and two are Soba related and one isn't. It just spent hours drilling into you Soba = buckwheat and buckwheat = allergy so by series logic, go with the thing that isn't Soba.
Old 09-24-2016, 11:51 AM
Banned

My problem was right before that - I couldn't figure out how Geiru could possibly not have had an allergic reaction, 'cause I am only just now learning that a) flour can be made of things other than wheat, and b) wheat and buckwheat aren't the same thing. It was the first time in this game that I couldn't really piece it together and had to continue by just sort of brute-forcing the evidence.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:27 PM
The Great

Have I just forgotten how common they were in other games, or does this one have a lot more completely pointless flashbacks than usual?

Like, flashbacks to things people said minutes ago or flashing back to the same scene multiple times within a short period. It's gotten to be kind of annoying, and they usually aren't even reminders for anything to help solve the case. Case 5 plays the case 3 scene where Maya gives the princess a pep talk something like three times in one trial segment.

The only explanation I can think of if the overall flashback volume is similar is that I'm just noticing it more because there's a brief loading time for each one, which slows down the snappier pace I'm used to from dialogue fast-forwarding being mercifully available from the beginning.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:45 PM
Half-Ninja

Hey, anyone download those Asinine Attorney DLC things? What are they? Are they worth the buy?
Old 09-24-2016, 03:50 PM

They are excuses for characters to say wacky things in a non-canon context and tickle your nostalgia for cases their respective main character's worked. They're quite thin on actual gameplay so if that's what you want you should probably steer clear, but they're kinda fun otherwise.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyGundam View Post
Have I just forgotten how common they were in other games, or does this one have a lot more completely pointless flashbacks than usual?
I don't know whether there's more of that this time around, but I've definitely felt the same way for most of the game.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Banned

Case 5 was fantastic.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:14 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Pronouns: They/Them or She/Her

Case Four: So I outed someone as mentally ill. Can't I just be an anime lawyer without also being a terrible person?

Tags
3ds , ace attorney , capcom , objection! , rip apollo , shu takumi , snackoos