The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Notices

Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
Street Fighter 5 exclusivity- Witness the Hypocrisy

Oh MAN you guys! MAN!

Holy mother of fucker this guy.

Where did they even FIND this guy? Why did they pay him what I assume are actual dollars to write this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Reminded me of this golden oldie:
Except the FFXIII is exactly the opposite scenario. So, it's a great comparison, in that it's nothing like it at all.

Other than maybe the overly-dramatic croc tears, I don't find much fault with the sentiment in the top post quoted. It's a series that has been cross platform pretty consistently for two generations, and it's usually in the best interests of fight game companies to make their games widely available. It just seems like a weird choice.

Tomb Raider exclusivity doesn't make me want an XB1 more. It just reminds me that Square is a shit publisher. As for this, well, I knew Capcom was a shit publisher for a long time, and they already pulled this same bullshit with Dead Rising 3, but that at least got a PC version eventually.

Quote:

Home of the entire SF2 franchise, which is the only one that counts!
Except Super Turbo. Which was on 3DO. Oh, and Genesis got Special Champion Edition and later Super SF2. Which is probably the actual situation we'll see.

As some one mentioned above, I'm not too excited to buy the Public Beta of a new Capcom fighter no matter what system it comes out on, but sucks for the SF fans who have an Xbox 1 and will probably have to wait a year for the upgrade.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:44 PM
GRAPE=NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
As for this, well, I knew Capcom was a shit publisher for a long time, and they already pulled this same bullshit with Dead Rising 3, but that at least got a PC version eventually.
SFV's been announced for PC as well, which is a bit weird considering how often Capcom's been treating PC like an unloved step-child.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Safe Space

Pronouns: She/Her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Then what the heck's in that duffel he's always carrying?
The packet.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:01 PM
delete the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
I am trying and failing to see how this looks (aesthetically/graphically) better than SFIV. Why even keep the sumi-e brushstroke effect on some attacks if you're ditching it on character models?

Of course it's a distant prerelease teaser so iunno
they've definitely been reskinned; proportions on hands/feet seem a little smaller and there's a lot of small improvements, but i can't say i'm super in love with the general visual direction (at least for characters) being basically an extension or evolution of sf4. i mean, i think the effect worked in that game overall, but i also still think it was rather ugly and some characters (particularly makoto) lost pretty much all of their visual charm from older games
Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 PM
GRAPE=NUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
I don't know if I'd say that. Capcom's one of the few Japanese publishers to have a heavy Steam presence with PC ports of most of their games. (Square Enix is the only other one that comes to mind, but they're late in coming to PC and still catching up.)
Now that you mention it, you're right. I guess what is there just ends up highlighting what isn't. Like Mega Man 9 and 10.

But that's off-topic, despite how slapped my face is. It's Street Fighter, not Street Slapper.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Except the FFXIII is exactly the opposite scenario. So, it's a great comparison, in that it's nothing like it at all.
The "scenario" may be opposite, but it's basically the exact same sense of entitlement from this or that console's ardent fans, so...
Old 12-06-2014, 10:59 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
The "scenario" may be opposite, but it's basically the exact same sense of entitlement from this or that console's ardent fans, so...
Wanting a game on a system you own vs. spitefully not wanting others to have access to it. Not seeing it.

Also, lol at whining about the 'entitlement' of gamers. Bitching about other people's right to bitch. Because you think some one protests too much, in a way that harms no one, about a facet of the same hobby you enjoy that they should STFU.

It would be interesting to find out why, though. Third party releases being multi-platform generally has been the norm for quite a while since cross-platform compatible middleware became a thing. It seemed like Capcom favored the 360 early on with its MT Framework engine, but PS3 releases came later in many cases, then eventually simultaneous releases. Still, this is going to be well over a year in, and the two systems' architecture isn't very different this time around, either.

Maybe they are going to be hyping the PS4/Steam cross-play aspect so much that they had to weigh either not including Xb1 in that or just not having a XB1 version. Certainly there would be a shitstorm either way, but it seems no XB1 version at all is the more extreme option. I've not heard anything about moneyhats confirmed, yet.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:56 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
It would be interesting to find out why, though. Third party releases being multi-platform generally has been the norm for quite a while since cross-platform compatible middleware became a thing. It seemed like Capcom favored the 360 early on with its MT Framework engine, but PS3 releases came later in many cases, then eventually simultaneous releases. Still, this is going to be well over a year in, and the two systems' architecture isn't very different this time around, either.
Capcom worked with Sony on the game, so I'm guessing this may very well be another Bayonetta 2-type deal.
Old 12-07-2014, 02:57 AM
Curious Young Gent

If development started a couple years back, that would be when Capcom was low on money and hurting - so it's likely that Sony stepped in to financially help the game be made at all.

In which case whining about it not being on the Xbone is kinda like whining that Halo's not on PS4. Nice of Sony to continue to give the PC thumbs up to stuff that they helped fund, though.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Watch and learn

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
Capcom worked with Sony on the game, so I'm guessing this may very well be another Bayonetta 2-type deal.
Yes, I would not be surprised if the choice was not "SFV is a console exclusive versus SFV is on everything," but rather "SFV is a console exclusive versus SFV doesn't exist." Just a few months ago Ono was complaining that he couldn't convince anyone at Capcom to fund a wholly new Street Fighter game, so it seems likely that Sony chipped in some funds in exchange for exclusivity.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 AM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daikaiju View Post
Also, Ryu needs to do his laundry.
eeesh.
Personally, I'm into the dirty gi. They should basically just make him like Torao Onigawara from Daraku Tenshi.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:15 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pombar View Post
If development started a couple years back, that would be when Capcom was low on money and hurting - so it's likely that Sony stepped in to financially help the game be made at all.
So the root is still Capcom being a shit publisher. This really isn't boding well for the industry, though, because Square-Enix framed it in a similar way with Rise of the Dawn of the Tomb Raider (even though that was seems more like utter bullshit because we know PS4/PC versions were in the cards for a long time).

If so, that's understandable. Although really, really sad. What's this world coming to that Capcom can't afford to make a new Street Fighter, FFS? No wonder we can't get a new Darkstalkers, then. Although it makes me appreciate Skullgirls all the more.

It'd almost be worth getting the game at a premium or including a season pass that included future updates at no additional cost, but as it is, we know there will be an upgrade. It's just a matter of when.

1 console future soon, please.

Still, this also means that Sony is even going to have a bigger advantage going forward. Those moneyhats are going to have to be damn huge for a publisher to neglect the PS4, in favor of the XB1's smaller user base. Although we could see the gap close after the holidays. That being said, as an owner of a 360/PS3 and a slightly out of date PC, I see little reason to get any of the consoles any time soon, especially since tons of last gen games are still coming out next year. Hell, anyone with a 360 can play an inferior version of Tomb Raider Reboot 2: Even Raidier if they don't want to fork out for a new system.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:21 AM

Dead Rising 3's exclusivity was also the result of MS stepping in to fund....

which really begs the question of what has capcom been greenlighting at all?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:24 AM
does the Underpants Dance

Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianB View Post

Resident Evil games.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:28 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:

Monster Hunter. I'm pretty sure one came out while I was typing this post.

RE Revelations 2 and REmake HD are also in the cards.

Tons of mobile games/ports of old games to mobile, too.

Deep Down is allegedly still a thing.

So, core franchises as fallbacks I do understand. One would really think Street Fighter would be one of them, though. Tekken x SF I've occasionally heard is really still happening, but that would probably be more a Namco project, anyway. Probably would have been out long ago had Capcom not screwed the pooch so badly with SF x Tekken.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
What's this world coming to that Capcom can't afford to make a new Street Fighter, FFS? No wonder we can't get a new Darkstalkers, then. Although it makes me appreciate Skullgirls all the more.
Honestly this shouldn't be all that surprising. Fighting games were dead and buried when Capcom's almost-didn't-get-made out-of-nowhere SF4 revived the scene. But in the years since SF4 we've found that gamers don't really stick to FGs in the manner that they did in the early 90s. It was a revival, but it didn't reclaim former glories. People buy them like they do any other game now - at launch, and then the title is mostly forgotten. Later versions are supported by a much smaller diehard crowd, if at all, and even then the crowd has limited patience for smaller iterations in this age of DLC expansions.

I'm wondering if SF5 might prove mainstream fighting games' last hurrah, at least this time around. It also might be too soon after Ultra 4, and too similar in appearance, for it to reclaim that mainstream crowd that 4 won after such a long hiatus (helped by how un-SF and unpopular SF3 was). They might've done better to sit on the SF franchise for a generation and bring back 5 for the next one.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:45 AM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

I feel the DLC greed and upgrades are a big thing that deflated interest, though. SF4 and MK were huge. MvC3 and Injustice were pretty damn big, too. However, upgrade upon upgrade makes people opt to wait, or feel they do not need to get the upgrade, and it wasn't just Capcom doing it this time. Tecmo decided an Ultimate DoA5 didn't have to be the *last* version of DoA5 and upgraded that. Injustice and MK got more "komplete" editions. Let's not even get started on BlazBlue.

Would it surprise anyone if there was yet another update to Ultra SF4? Those of us in the know realize that there will be no follow up to UMvC3 due to licensing reasons, but do casual gamers? Even If Capcom did actually release a new Darkstalkers (my favorite Capcom fighting franchise), I would be hesitant to buy it, and I bought a freaking Saturn back in the day largely to import and play Vampire Savior.

Again, Skullgirls is pretty much the only fighting game purchase I didn't feel ripped off over. Here's a few DLC characters at a reasonable cost, and a FREE one. Boom. Yeah, I'm down with that.

Imagine if there wasn't Super SF4, Super AE, and Ultra SF4 already released. Or maybe just ONE of those in addition to vanilla. Do you think people would be a tad more hyped for SF5? I think there actually is more anticipation for the new Tekken because Namco held back on multiple updates.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:53 AM

Ther've been like 4 tekken's since 2011.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Curious Young Gent

In fact I'd argue the opposite. When talking about longevity of a fighting game in the FGC, ones that don't get updated die much, much faster. SF4's updates may have had struggles with business models to begin with (though that's been fixed since AE, honestly - DLC if you own the game, if not there'll be a new bundled version), but the updates kept the game fresh and relevant. Marvel's lack of a new version since U (and it definitely not getting another in the future) went a long way to hurting that game's long term popularity.

But yes, it does make demand for a sequel much diminished. It's far too soon for a game that looks that similar to feel fresh for casual players.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Banned

So last night I was watching Maximillian's twitch, and he was watching the SFV gameplay trailer in super slow mode and analyzing the shit out of it to see if he could identify any major gameplay components. He spotted something interesting.

You can see both Ryu and Chun activating these kind "Elemental modes" at different points. Ryu kind of powers up, and electricity is around his hands. He then starts throwing what looks like powered up Hadokens, and links some combos that look like maybe they shouldn't have worked. You also see Chun do some kinda activation that gives her water, or at least some kinda glowing blue shit and blue ink effects, around her hands. He suspects that it's probably very similar to Instinct, from Killer Instinct. When you get beat up, you get to activate your special mode, and powers you up and gives you advantages, like extra dmg, better frame advantage on moves, more combos, stuff like that. Sounds like a pretty cool mechanic, curious to see how that develops as the game goes forward.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Curious Young Gent

I wonder how that'll differ from (or stack with?) extant steroids like Genei Jin.
Old 12-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
In fact I'd argue the opposite. When talking about longevity of a fighting game in the FGC, ones that don't get updated die much, much faster.
Yeah. DLC and updates don't deflate interest; they sustain it.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:50 PM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanto View Post
Yes, I would not be surprised if the choice was not "SFV is a console exclusive versus SFV is on everything," but rather "SFV is a console exclusive versus SFV doesn't exist." Just a few months ago Ono was complaining that he couldn't convince anyone at Capcom to fund a wholly new Street Fighter game, so it seems likely that Sony chipped in some funds in exchange for exclusivity.
Not just a new SF game, he couldn't even get them to spring for SFIV on a next-gen console, but here we are with USFIV...

Quote:
What's this world coming to that Capcom can't afford to make a new Street Fighter, FFS?
What, indeed? Such prospects make me worry about the industry as a whole.

Anyway, so it looks like PS4 is it if you're a SF fan. My question then is: "How is PS4's Dpad?"

I got SFA Anthology for PS2 a while back, and using the controller for that felt a lot poorer than the one I used all the time on my SF Collection on PS1, so yeah, I'm a little worried on that front.

At least I've gotten to try Xbox One's on Killer Instinct, and I'm satisfied with how that works.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM

For anyone that cares about the inside baseball to this all it sounds like capcom shopped it around and MS passed on investing as they didn't want to compete with their own first party fighter.

IRCC TR2 was also shopped around and sony probably passed with uncharted on the console.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

Quote:
In fact I'd argue the opposite. When talking about longevity of a fighting game in the FGC, ones that don't get updated die much, much faster. SF4's updates may have had struggles with business models to begin with (though that's been fixed since AE, honestly - DLC if you own the game, if not there'll be a new bundled version), but the updates kept the game fresh and relevant. Marvel's lack of a new version since U (and it definitely not getting another in the future) went a long way to hurting that game's long term popularity.

But yes, it does make demand for a sequel much diminished. It's far too soon for a game that looks that similar to feel fresh for casual players.
Agree to disagree. I think the hardcore fight fans may like much of it, but I think it really hurts the broader appeal in the long run.

Quote:
What, indeed? Such prospects make me worry about the industry as a whole.
It's not even a situation where you can expect dependable alliances. We knew early on with the Playstation that you can expect Namco games on it and nowhere else, for very understandable reasons. Imagine if you backed the XB1 because you assumed they were favoring it over PS4. You probably feel a bit annoyed right now.

Seriously, we're looking at a situation where extremely-large, decades-dominating publishers and franchises are depending on console makes to subsidize development. With PlatinumGames, they're a small developer, so I get it. However, Capcom and Square need subsidizing for Dead Rising, Tomb Raider, and Street Fighter? This industry is pretty ****ed it looks like.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 PM
Curious Young Gent

Quote:
Anyway, so it looks like PS4 is it if you're a SF fan. My question then is: "How is PS4's Dpad?"
One of the best things to come out of SF4's glory years is that there's now loads of arcade sticks floating around on the second hand market.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:56 PM
delete the world

Quote:
For anyone that cares about the inside baseball to this all it sounds like capcom shopped it around and MS passed on investing as they didn't want to compete with their own first party fighter.

IRCC TR2 was also shopped around and sony probably passed with uncharted on the console.
the latter is maybe slightly understandable but the former is a clear blunder on microsoft's part. getting street fighter and killer instinct on the same console is a powerful synergistic bloc, not cannibalism. they already have the people who want to play killer instinct; what they don't have is "street fighter players who would try out ki if they had an xbox just because it's there," and while that's not going to break the platform (mortal kombat and tekken are probably both going to be multiplatform and sell better anyway. and mk definitely has the best consumer overlap with ki for obvious reasons) i just can't see how it does them any favors
Old 12-07-2014, 09:59 PM
not talking tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
the latter is maybe slightly understandable but the former is a clear blunder on microsoft's part. getting street fighter and killer instinct on the same console is a powerful synergistic bloc, not cannibalism. they already have the people who want to play killer instinct; what they don't have is "street fighter players who would try out ki if they had an xbox just because it's there," and while that's not going to break the platform (mortal kombat and tekken are probably both going to be multiplatform and sell better anyway. and mk definitely has the best consumer overlap with ki for obvious reasons) i just can't see how it does them any favors
"Eh, we don't really want Japan to buy Xbox Ones, anyway." - Microsoft, apparently
Old 12-08-2014, 01:44 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
the latter is maybe slightly understandable but the former is a clear blunder on microsoft's part.
Since the XBone will join the PS3 in textbooks anywhere as a practical lesson on what not to do to preserve your lead in a market when launching a follow-up product, I can't say I'm surprised.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 AM
The Man Series: Brofist

Quote:
Fully agreed.

One of the issues KI seems to have with growing a community is how singular an Xbone is as an investment for fighting game fans. That's going to get a little better with MKX, but I also don't feel like that's going to necessarily expand the audience in a big way - in my experience MK and KI fans already have crossover.

What would be ideal is to get a property on that system that would open the doors for players that may not have otherwise had any interest in the game (and KI being free to try out makes it an even easier sell in that case.)

That said, I appreciate the focus KI seems to have had as a result of being a MS exclusive. Hopefully the upside of this is that Sony can throw money at Capcom to alleviate some ROI concerns, which may in turn allow them to focus on designing a great game.

The era of Capcom I fell in love with was the era when they were more experimental and innovative. If exclusivity is the price I have to pay for a return to those kinds of games, then so be it.

But this thread is supposed to be about SFV, so lets talk about that! Ono has confirmed that what you're seeing in the gameplay trailer is in fact a Denjin Hadoken. That has some interesting implications. And of course it means that Ryu players can look forward to more Denjin shenanigans.

It also sounds like Ono originally intended to hold that gameplay trailer back until the Capcom Cup (which would have been a helluva reveal,) but the team opted to release it after the teaser trailer leaked. I think that was a very good call, even if it probably screwed with some of their plans. Ono is still planning to announce new details at the Capcom Cup though, so hopefully we'll get some juicy system details then.

Tags
at ease loosah , beard ryu , capcom , fighting games , muscle power , ragequit , rise up , street fighter , the vth vanguard , v has come to