The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
Also in 10 some of the bosses seem designed with the slide in mind which only Protoman has access to
To be fair, some of the bosses in 2 seemed designed with the slide in mind.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:02 PM
Chaotic Good

Pronouns: he / him

Slide is entirely unnecessary as long as the levels are compact enough to make walking not a chore. Not a fan.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:37 PM
Chief Servbot

Pronouns: He/Him

The actual thing most wrong with 10 is that after giving most enemies in 9 one or two hit points (meaning you could easily shred through levels using Laser Trident or Jewel Shield) they sponged up all the enemies (my pet theory is that now that Protoman was a default character, they wanted to buff up the value of his Mega Buster). I've always felt this made the levels just not flow as well as 9. The castle stages are also brutally difficult.

Still a pretty good Mega Man though. I love Sheep Man and don't know why people pick on him
Old 05-12-2018, 08:55 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
The actual thing most wrong with 10 is that after giving most enemies in 9 one or two hit points (meaning you could easily shred through levels using Laser Trident or Jewel Shield) they sponged up all the enemies (my pet theory is that now that Protoman was a default character, they wanted to buff up the value of his Mega Buster). I've always felt this made the levels just not flow as well as 9. The castle stages are also brutally difficult.

Still a pretty good Mega Man though. I love Sheep Man and don't know why people pick on him
They should pick on Shadow Man.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:39 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

The Mega Man Legacy Collections are downloading on my Switch as we speak.

Portable Mega Man 9 and 10 ya'll!
Old 05-22-2018, 04:16 AM
Out Of Warranty

Pronouns: He/him

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
The Mega Man Legacy Collections are downloading on my Switch as we speak.

Portable Mega Man 9 and 10 ya'll!
And here I am trapped at work
Old 05-22-2018, 04:20 AM
Phantoostic Fantasm

Pronouns: He

*deep breathes, Octo. You have lots of other games on your backlog and MEGAMAS doesn't start for another 6 months.*
Old 05-22-2018, 07:39 AM
Too Big For Smash?!

Apparently in MM9 and 10 if you want to unlock the DLC you have to beat the game first. Though I saw this image on the interbutts which suggest a title screen code to unlock it instead, haven't tried it myself.

I was a bit worried at first, because a Mega Man 10 without Bass is but a shadow of its best self.

(Nnnnnot a huge fan of how 9 and 10 immediately start at the title screen instead of the opening story. Not a big problem, I know, it just bugs me, inexplicably. I'll deal)
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
(Nnnnnot a huge fan of how 9 and 10 immediately start at the title screen instead of the opening story. Not a big problem, I know, it just bugs me, inexplicably. I'll deal)
I hate that you have to go like, 3 system level menus up to get to the challenge lists, endless modes, etc from the original games.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:24 PM
bad at lurking

Pronouns: He him

is there a reason Legacy Collection 1 is cheaper than 2? And WTF isn't there a bundle?
Old 05-22-2018, 05:49 PM
Come, noble knights!

Pronouns: He/Him/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
is there a reason Legacy Collection 1 is cheaper than 2?
Because one is six 8-bit games and the other is a 16-bit game, a PSone game with voice acted anime cutscenes, and two retraux games packaged with all their DLC.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:50 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
is there a reason Legacy Collection 1 is cheaper than 2?
Certainly not one Capcom will publicly announce, but there are a lot of reasons you could imagine. (Perceived value of only 8-bit looking games vs. one they can advertise w/MM8, thinking they want to put LC1 more in the impulse purchase range, etc...)

In some regions they're the same price!
Old 05-22-2018, 06:01 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Certainly not one Capcom will publicly announce, but there are a lot of reasons you could imagine. (Perceived value of only 8-bit looking games vs. one they can advertise w/MM8, thinking they want to put LC1 more in the impulse purchase range, etc...)

In some regions they're the same price.
Definitely this. The 8-bit titles are generally considered the best by fans, but graphics still sell and if there's one thing the SNES and PSone games (well, more the PSone game) have in their favor it's pretty pixels.

Also while they weren't necessarily the best generations for classic Mega Man, the Super Nintendo and Sony PlayStation are still fondly remembered for having many of the best games around.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

Mega Man 3 without slowdown is a thing of beauty.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:30 PM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
*deep breathes, Octo. You have lots of other games on your backlog and MEGAMAS doesn't start for another 6 months.*
But it's Mega May currently!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 AM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
Mega Man 3 without slowdown is a thing of beauty.
Explain this fuckery because I've bought MMLC1 twice before and MM3 always has slowdown.

Now that I consider it, what's different in the Switch version? Does the Switch version have the expanded museum like the 3DS version?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 AM

Pronouns: Fem or gender neutral

Not going to lie, the lack of rewind and a proper save state in MML2 hurts a little, but checkpoint saves is acceptable in most cases that aren't disappearing block sequences.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Vigilante All-Star

Pronouns: He / Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Explain this fuckery because I've bought MMLC1 twice before and MM3 always has slowdown.

Now that I consider it, what's different in the Switch version? Does the Switch version have the expanded museum like the 3DS version?
Wrong collection. Anniversary fixed the slowdown.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:51 PM
JUSTICE FOR MIKE JONES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot.EXE View Post
Wrong collection. Anniversary fixed the slowdown.
Right but Sanagi mentioned Mega Man 3 in the middle of a few posts about MMLC, so I just assumed Sanagi was talking about Switch MMLC. Could just be an erroneous assumption on my part.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Discordia

Pronouns: she / her

The Switch version of Legacy Collection adds "turbo mode" that makes the games run smoother, with less flicker. Also a rewind button which alone makes it worth buying again.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:08 PM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie View Post
Not going to lie, the lack of rewind and a proper save state in MML2 hurts a little, but checkpoint saves is acceptable in most cases that aren't disappearing block sequences.
I'm baffled that they didn't just make the package 1-10 with all the same features. The physical copy with a download copy for LC2 is even more puzzling.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanagi View Post
The Switch version of Legacy Collection adds "turbo mode" that makes the games run smoother, with less flicker. Also a rewind button which alone makes it worth buying again.
The rewind button (and maybe some or all of the others features, don't remember) is supposed to eventually come to PS4/XBox/PC in a patch, so I would not recommend anyone buy it again just for those features unless you need them immediately.

Quote:
I'm baffled that they didn't just make the package 1-10 with all the same features.
I am definitely not baffled that the NES games have different features than the other games.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:16 PM
Come, noble knights!

The collections were made by different development teams, that's why they're separate and why the sequel has no rewinds. Digital Eclipse programmed rewinding into The Disney Afternoon Collection and carried it over to the Switch's version of Mega Man Legacy Collection.

Also MMLC1 is all NES, all the time. If Capcom was to implement the rewind function in 2, they would need to get it working with SNES and PlayStation emulation and the engine the retraux games 9 and 10 use.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:32 PM
bad at lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
The collections were made by different development teams, that's why they're separate and why the sequel has no rewinds. Digital Eclipse programmed rewinding into The Disney Afternoon Collection and carried it over to the Switch's version of Mega Man Legacy Collection.

Also MMLC1 is all NES, all the time. If Capcom was to implement the rewind function in 2, they would need to get it working with SNES and PlayStation emulation and the engine the retraux games 9 and 10 use.
huh, that ... actually makes sense.

Oh well, I suppose I'll just buy them both digitally. I want MMLC2 for 9 and 10 if nothing else, and that's worth the price to me.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:42 PM

I got MMLC1&2 for the Switch today! It's pretty rad! I immediately started working through the challenges of MMLC1 and I'm having a blast. I also gotta get started on MM9&10, since I've yet to ever finish those two...
Old 05-29-2018, 04:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Rush Search in Mega Man 7 was a really bad idea. I guess you're just supposed to use it in every room until it looks like you've found all the collectibles?

Also, the sound effects in this have a weird muffled sound, like they're from a janky early PC platformer.

Jumping and shooting is still fun, though.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Rush Search in Mega Man 7 was a really bad idea. I guess you're just supposed to use it in every room until it looks like you've found all the collectibles?

Also, the sound effects in this have a weird muffled sound, like they're from a janky early PC platformer.

Jumping and shooting is still fun, though.
Yeah, MM7 for all it does well has some really dumb design around it. It's best accompanied with a walkthrough to get all the shiny things.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Half-Ninja

I feel like the person who included Rush Search in the game also hid the armor capsule in X2.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Boom

Or included the helmet upgrade in X2, I guess.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:22 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
It was cute and fun when I was 12? At this point I've memorized the like, 3 places where its necessary and ignore it otherwise.

Tags
booblights , burn burn to the ground! , capcom , capcom ceo noa bright , dr. wily , get equipped , horming torpedo , inafune , jusdie zellllloooooo , literal slap in the face , mega man , mighty no. 9 , nobody likes high max , robot masters , rockman , spark mandrill , the little metal boy , the new bomber , what am i fighting for , z-saver , zello , zero dies a lot , zero is a girl , zero is a man bro , zero is kenny